User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I haven't smoked in a decade but, Jesus, many former smokers people are straight up bitches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird. I could find smokers if I hadn't had a cigarette in a couple of hours.

Yeah imagine  smelling you from the other side of the room?

I haven't smoked in a decade but, Jesus, many former smokers people are straight up bitches.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Its makes a big difference when they smoke in their car and home...

Yesterday some trashy couple in the grocery store smelled of that shit two aisles away... it was fucking disgusting.
View Quote

It's easy to smoke in a car without smelling

I've always thought smoking in the house was disgusting
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
July will be 2 years for me and I could smell someone smoking in a moving car in front of me no problem. I still love the smell of a burning smoke, but cannot stand the stink in your clothes afterwards.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quit 9-10 years ago. I haven't counted the days, and I know people who quit and can tell you to the day when they stopped. Most don't last long.  It isn't that important to me. I can smell some smokers, but not others for some reason. The brand and the closed proximity I guess.
Smoke still smells good to me on most days. Pipe and cigars make my mouth water. LostWife can't stand to be in the same zip code with a smoker.

Keep it up, it never really goes away.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
July will be 2 years for me and I could smell someone smoking in a moving car in front of me no problem. I still love the smell of a burning smoke, but cannot stand the stink in your clothes afterwards.

View Quote

I wanted to post this. I quit 13yrs ago. I don't mind the smell anymore, unless it gets in my clothes when I'm near someone who is/was smoking. Same for wood fires... love the smell of chimney smoke wafting in the winter air or a campfire/bbq in the summer. Hate the stale smell in my clothes after.

Tasting food and drink with a clean mouth should be enough reason for anyone to quit. The returned sensation of intricate flavor and smell is so much better than the ups and downs of nicotine high sensation.

I don't think about smoking anymore. Haven't for a few years now. The only time I think about it, is when I smell it. And now that's just a reminder of a battle I won. Quitting was so worth it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
April will mark 2 years of me being smoke free.

It was not until the last year when I could point out a smoker.
View Quote

Quit pretending like you don't still want to.  The stigma/pressure/health concerns took over and you quit.  The fact is you will be forever addicted and will live the rest of your days wanting a smoke.  Whether you admit it or not.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Now what's wrong about having corn teeth?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can smell a smoker when their car pulls into the parking lot

wha? they don't know their clothes wreak  of acrid stench

maybe it's corn kernel yellow stain permanently imbedded in their teeth...nobody will notice

the fact that cigarettes are still legal amazes me

Now what's wrong about having corn teeth?  

The image that brought to my mind made me laugh hysterically... and for that, I thank you. Rough day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I had been smoking since I was 14-15 or so, quit 3 different times , all cold turkey , this last time  I almost never quit, been headed toward 10 yrs+ now still have the craving sometimes
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quit pretending like you don't still want to.  The stigma/pressure/health concerns took over and you quit.  The fact is you will be forever addicted and will live the rest of your days wanting a smoke.  Whether you admit it or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
April will mark 2 years of me being smoke free.

It was not until the last year when I could point out a smoker.

As a former smoker, drug addict and alcoholic, I can say with absolute honesty that the only addiction that still fucks with me is alcohol. I have no, and I mean zero, cravings for a cigarette or dope, ever. It doesn't even cross my mind until someone brings it up and, even then, there's literally zero emotional reaction.

Booze, though.... I've been sober for many years at this point and I *still* think about it more frequently than I'm comfortable with. That shit is insidious.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

wha? they don't know their clothes wreak  of acrid stench

maybe it's corn kernel yellow stain permanently imbedded in their teeth...nobody will notice

the fact that cigarettes are still legal amazes me
View Quote

So over the volume of exhaust their car puts out you can smell the smoke.....

Interesting...

I quit smoking and now I vape...

I can smell a smoker when I pass by them but when their car pulls up????
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your observation is valid. If I did not have children I would still be smoking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I smoked pretty heavily when I was younger, but I quit many years ago, long enough that I no longer feel impelled to virtue signal about my abstinence.

I have been thinking about taking up smoking a pipe occasionally though, mostly just to mess with my husband - don't want him to get too complacent.  

View Quote
I'd recommend taking up cigars.  They don't stink like cigarettes and cigar smoking women are inherently sexy.  (Not to be misogynist or anything....)
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I put my last cigarette out at about 8:56 a.m. 2/13/20 right before I walked into the cardiac doc appt. for the angiogram.

I was a 45 year heavy smoker. I am done smoking. I'm lucky that I don't have cravings. I'm also lucky to still be here. It was real iffy there for a while.

I can smell smokers now but it doesn't really bother me or make me want to sneak off and smoke one although it does get pretty offensive if I'm in a confined space with them.

I sure wish I had quit sooner.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was a tech for a chrysler dealership I have gotten in some very nasty fucking vehicles.
People that I swear who smoke in their car with the window up and air on recirc.

Its like licking an ashtray with your nose, I smoke and jesus christ my vehicles have never ever smelled like that once as I dont smoke in them.
I always smoke outside if im home and my friends they smoke in their homes and thats fine I dont care im going to smoke up as well.

I also shower a couple times a day and I know I still have smoke smell on me yet I know Im not as bad as some people. I know its bad and I do it anyway, just like drinking and eating meat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I did once meet a black lab named "Newport."

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can smell them in the car ahead of me going 35.

I hit 9 years smoke-free back in December.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I had my last cigarette in 09. Still smoke a pipe a bit, but cannot stand the stink of cigs anymore. Whatever chemicals they put in those things ruins the natural sweet scent of pure tobacco.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#18]
22 years and I’m glad it’s done and over.

It’s been long enough that I don’t remember. 4 years? Maybe 3?

I promised myself one thing when I knew I was clear:

That I wouldn’t be a fucking wanker about it.

Preaching, judging, and generally being a cunt about how self righteous I am and how much of a piece of shit you are because you still do it.

Smoke em if you got em. I won’t, but I’ll sit with you while you do it. And I won’t try to browbeat you into anything.

Only blowhard worse than a pilot is a holy ex smoker.

Fucking get over it guys. God damn
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#19]
My mom used to smoke heavy tar Winstons. God the smell was overwhelming. I will say that I can’t tell sometimes if someone is a smoker if they smoke something like Marlboro lights or ultra lights but something like Reds I can smell from a long way off
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#20]
It's been over 20 years.

I still have dreams and wake up feeling guilty thinking that I'd broken down and had one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#21]
i'm coming up on 6 months without cigarettes. i smoked for 35 years or so
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can smell you a mile away.. imagine what my dogs can do

View Quote

I quit in 09 after smoking for 10 years.

Like you I can smell people smoking a mile away. I can also smell the smoke in their clothes even after it’s been hours since they’ve had one.

Cigarette smoke is disgusting btw.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quit over 20 years ago.. but sometimes after I eat I get the urge.. its really weird.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Smokers all have a death wish as it's slowing killing them. There's help for that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
8 years for me.  It still smells good for like a split second, all my nerves jump for joy then I remember that shit feeling and move on.
View Quote

Over 20+ years for me. That first whiff I a smoke lit from a Zippo sends me to a nice place for a split second...then I snap back to reality. It is a messy habit.

I still smoke a pipe and a cigars both messy but it isn't an all day everyday thing. I can say I haven't burnt holes through things dropping my smoke, or have my truck filled with ashes, or windshield covered in a thick yellow film. Worst was the dry lip glued to cigarette butt that after taking a drag that caused the cherry to be held between your fingers until you realized you were burning holes through your fingers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I quit smoking when I quit drinking 38 years ago. Now I excercise regularly, eat healthy, and don't look my age. If I'd kept smoking all the benefits of quitting would have turned into serious health problems or killed me long ago.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Great job, OP.  20 years cigarette-free for me.

I still smoke the occasional cigar, but that's getting less frequent as time goes on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#28]
About 12 years smoke free. For the 1st year, an unlit cigarette smelled good. After that year passed, they smelled putrid.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I quit just 7 months ago, smoked for about 22 years or more.  I didn't find the actual quitting to be that hard past the first couple weeks.  However there are many things I have simply lost interest in since.  For example I have alot of things at home and projects in my garage I would like to do, but I find it hard to actually get motivated anymore without smoking before or after doing things.  I know its all just because I have learned to live with smoking for so many years, that it takes time to undo.  I was also expecting to have more energy and feel better after quitting.
I was talking to a friend who also recently quit, and he said it was about a year after quitting until he started feeling like he had less bad days and more good days with motivation and energy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quit smoking a long time ago. Quit vaping last year about this time. Oddly enough I am allergic to smokers now. As in my sinuses clog up and my eyes start watering.

Still like a good cigar every once in awhile; one a month or two maybe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
22 years and I’m glad it’s done and over.

It’s been long enough that I don’t remember. 4 years? Maybe 3?

I promised myself one thing when I knew I was clear:

That I wouldn’t be a fucking wanker about it.

Preaching, judging, and generally being a cunt about how self righteous I am and how much of a piece of shit you are because you still do it.

Smoke em if you got em. I won’t, but I’ll sit with you while you do it. And I won’t try to browbeat you into anything.

Only blowhard worse than a pilot is a holy ex smoker.

Fucking get over it guys. God damn
View Quote

This.  I generally hate "ex-smokers".
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I quit cigarettes >25 years ago. No particular reason other than knowing it was a bad thing long-term. I used the nicorete gum, which at the time was available only by prescription. When I asked my doctor about getting the gum I never saw him move so fast to reach for his prescription pad, LOL.

As many of you have experienced, I would have moments for many years where something would trigger a fond memory of smoking and I would sort of consider it. Not seriously, because once I kicked them, I was NOT going to go back on them.

And yes, (some) smokers smell really awful. I know they don't know it.

Like many of you, I would have those moments of catching a whiff of someone just lighting up, and it would smell good to me. So, a couple of years ago, confident that I was well and truly done with smoking, I asked a friend of mine for one of her cigarettes. I wanted to see if the flavor was as good as that initial good scent of first lighting up. I just wanted to know. So, I lit it up and holy crap, it tasted really horrible. I mean nothing good about it at all. I had to brush my teeth and use mouthwash to get rid of the nasty taste. I don't recommend doing this, but for me, it eliminated any idea I might have had that it could ever taste good again.

ETA: I never bust anyone's balls about smoking, nor do I push for laws about it or anything. I am very much "live and let live" when it comes to personal liberty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife owns a pre-school and has 17 students this year. They range in age from 3 to 5 and yes, several of them roll out of minivans in a cloud of smoke like they were in a Cheech and Chong movie.

If you want to smoke, fine but don't start your kid off in life enduring your liabilities.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Coming up on 3 years quit for me. I don't miss it. I don't care if people smoke, I'll even stand around them. But it fucking stinks.

And yeah it blew me away that I could smell it coming from cars...while driving down the road.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I quit over 20 years ago.
I still love the smell of someone lighting one up..... I would not smoke again it was a serious pain in the butt to quit those things....
Cold Turkey was my way of quiting. I don't care if someone smokes that is there option.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I quit about this time 10 years ago

Smell never bothered me at the time and even today it makes me nostalgic for a different time in my life
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Wife and I quit back sometime in 1978. She weaned herself off with the 1 Step At A Time filters, I cold turkeyd out of 3 packs of Marlboros.  Never looked back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
17 years smoke free.

My dad had a 3 pack a day habit

Watched him die of lung cancer and repeating "Help me" over and over

Most disturbing thing I've ever seen.
View Quote
pretty much my story as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Smoked for 19 yrs. Started in basic. Quit in 2000. I will say this, I did enjoy smoking, if it were not for that whole cancer, dying, death thing.

Funny, when I smoked, they were under$2 a pack...Always thought about what price they had to reach before I would quit. $5 a pack always seemed to be the number.

Now they have so much tax on them....Don't miss it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top