Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Where and how to invest your money depend on your age, and your goals, both long and short term.

Go talk to an investment advisor, an accountant, and/or an estate planning attorney.

Or just say fuck it, and ride DOGE coins to the mooooooooon!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm down 43,000 today and will sleep like a babby. I look at it multiple times a day to see if I should buy.

OP, open and fund a Fidelity account and use their research tools to figure out something that suits you to buy. I have been investing for 34 years and have been a pretty strict dividend only guy until the last two years and have done pretty fucking well.

DO NOT not day trade

DO NOT try to time the market

DO NOT buy anything you can't explain to someone else

DO NOT fall in love with any security ANYTHING can come back down

DON"T PANIC!

View Quote

Especially any company that adds tentacles to various products.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ok smarty pants market is down today so you buy tomorrow.  Let’s say tomorrow is another 500 drop.  Then Monday is a 200 loss.  At some point you run out of money buying low
View Quote

BUT you have a mother-fuckload of cheap shares and IF you bought quality to begin with they will come back up and then some. I "lost" 80,000 in one AFTERNOON during the covid crash. DIDN"T SELL SHIT.

I put in several limit orders for the next day for stuff I already held and set the limits for 5 bucks or so less than they closed. Most of them filled. Now everything is way in the green.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I invested about $1500 last week to get the party started. I'm not a high roller by any means. I think I'm down about 20% in 10 days. Lol. And I am not day trading. I have some solid picks that I'm holding. I'm also looking for the right ETF or Mutual to get into with my next Government gift.

Fucking frustrating for sure, but I ain't  skeered! I have time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at DVY it is an ETF that holds the top 100 dividend payers on the DOW. You get growth AND dividends.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is poors thinking

GD gets 14% returns every year
View Quote
S&P 500 index funds are right around 13.5% for the last 10 years, so...

OP, if you want to a simple answer, look at S&P index funds.
If you end up talking to a "professional", compare their performance to an S&P index fund over the last 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you end up talking to a "professional", compare their performance to an S&P index fund over the last 5-10 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is poors thinking

GD gets 14% returns every year

If he sees a pro the biggest thing is tax planning and minimization. That and having a long term plan for how much income you want when you stop working.

Investing is easy. It’s the tax planning and discipline to invest as planned no matter what the market is doing that’s hard. Remove emotions from investing and money mgmt. treat your money like a business, because that’s exactly what it is. And there’s no place for emotion in business nor money mgmt.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I started with a Kiplinger magazine subscription years ago (mid 90’s) and watched CNBC ad nauseum. Read Kiplinger’s from cover to cover. All that info is now online and at your fingertips. I don’t mess with derivatives or call and puts, but everything else I’m in.

Once you realize that you are your secret to success....it changes things. Make money work for you. It’s like a diligent employee that requires no breaks, vacation time, or sick leave.

You also need time on your side. Wait until you are 70 and you take away your key advantage.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I started with a Kiplinger magazine subscription years ago (mid 90’s) and watched CNBC ad nauseum. Read Kiplinger’s from cover to cover. All that info is now online and at your fingertips. I don’t mess with derivatives or call and puts, but everything else I’m in.

Once you realize that you are your secret to success....it changes things. Make money work for you. It’s like a diligent employee that requires no breaks, vacation time, or sick leave.

You also need time on your side. Wait until you are 70 and you take away your key advantage.
View Quote

The secret to investing?  Early and often consistently with as much risk there is.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top