Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Animals will have to be raised and  sssssslaughtered.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably my favorite movie of all time. Every time I watch it, I find something new.
View Quote

Correct!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Great movie
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Target in sight!  Where in hell is Major Kong?!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Slim Pickens didn't know that the film was a satire/black comedy and was under the impression it was a serious film throughout production.
View Quote

I thought it was interesting that Kubrick used a different tone for each setting.  The War Room was comedy with some drama.  The Air Base was about 50/50, and the bomber was straight drama with a little comedy.

And it worked splendidly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought it was interesting that Kubrick used a different tone for each setting.  The War Room was comedy with some drama.  The Air Base was about 50/50, and the bomber was straight drama with a little comedy.

View Quote

It was to drive home just how badly the right hand had no clue what the left hand was thinking.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

An automatic logic system that destroys the planet on purpose, being activated by accident by a human losing his mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
imho, the best "anti-science" movie ever made.
https://static.vix.com/es/sites/default/files/d/dr-strangelove-mano.gif

Really?

What "science" was in the "movie"?

Are you referring to "the" anti-fluoride scene?

An automatic logic system that destroys the planet on purpose, being activated by accident by a human losing his mind.

Has nothing to do with science.

Science is the application of the scientific method.

Steps of the Scientific Method
1. Ask a Question
The scientific method starts when you ask a question about something that you observe: How, What, When, Who, Which, Why, or Where?

For a science fair project some teachers require that the question be something you can measure, preferably with a number.

For detailed help with this step, use these resources:
Your Question
Laboratory Notebook
2. Do Background Research
Rather than starting from scratch in putting together a plan for answering your question, you want to be a savvy scientist using library and Internet research to help you find the best way to do things and ensure that you don't repeat mistakes from the past.

Background Research Plan
Finding Information
Bibliography
Research Paper
3. Construct a Hypothesis
A hypothesis is an educated guess about how things work. It is an attempt to answer your question with an explanation that can be tested. A good hypothesis allows you to then make a prediction:
"If _____[I do this] _____, then _____[this]_____ will happen."

State both your hypothesis and the resulting prediction you will be testing. Predictions must be easy to measure.

Variables
Variables for Beginners
Hypothesis
4. Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Your experiment tests whether your prediction is accurate and thus your hypothesis is supported or not. It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. You conduct a fair test by making sure that you change only one factor at a time while keeping all other conditions the same.

You should also repeat your experiments several times to make sure that the first results weren't just an accident.

Experimental Procedure
Materials List
Conducting an Experiment
5. Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Once your experiment is complete, you collect your measurements and analyze them to see if they support your hypothesis or not.

Scientists often find that their predictions were not accurate and their hypothesis was not supported, and in such cases they will communicate the results of their experiment and then go back and construct a new hypothesis and prediction based on the information they learned during their experiment. This starts much of the process of the scientific method over again. Even if they find that their hypothesis was supported, they may want to test it again in a new way.

Data Analysis & Graphs
Conclusions
6. Communicate Your Results
To complete your science fair project you will communicate your results to others in a final report and/or a display board. Professional scientists do almost exactly the same thing by publishing their final report in a scientific journal or by presenting their results on a poster or during a talk at a scientific meeting. In a science fair, judges are interested in your findings regardless of whether or not they support your original hypothesis.

Final Report
Abstract
Display Board
Science Fair Judging
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my favorite movies of all time. It was *the* movie that got me into Kubrick films too.

My tribute to Slim Pickens; Circa 2003 Al Taji, Iraq.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess we’re all finding it on Prime at the same time.

Watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. Decent flick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It was to drive home just how badly the right hand had no clue what the left hand was thinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, normal people in the trenches, the higher up the chain of command, the more looney, the POTUS as a limp dick.
Pretty accurate still....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#12]
General "Buck" Turgidson : Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

Awesome movie!

I had heard of it for years and never watched it but finally did, probably in my mid 20's - Hilarious.  

I tried to get my wife to watch it but she has a completely different sense of humor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with science.

Science is the application of the scientific method.

Steps of the Scientific Method
1. Ask a Question
The scientific method starts when you ask a question about something that you observe: How, What, When, Who, Which, Why, or Where?

For a science fair project some teachers require that the question be something you can measure, preferably with a number.

Your Question
Laboratory Notebook
2. Do Background Research
Rather than starting from scratch in putting together a plan for answering your question, you want to be a savvy scientist using library and Internet research to help you find the best way to do things and ensure that you don't repeat mistakes from the past.

Background Research Plan
Finding Information
Bibliography
Research Paper
3. Construct a Hypothesis
A hypothesis is an educated guess about how things work. It is an attempt to answer your question with an explanation that can be tested. A good hypothesis allows you to then make a prediction:
"If _____[I do this] _____, then _____[this]_____ will happen."

State both your hypothesis and the resulting prediction you will be testing. Predictions must be easy to measure.

Variables
Variables for Beginners
Hypothesis
4. Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Your experiment tests whether your prediction is accurate and thus your hypothesis is supported or not. It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. You conduct a fair test by making sure that you change only one factor at a time while keeping all other conditions the same.

You should also repeat your experiments several times to make sure that the first results weren't just an accident.

Experimental Procedure
Materials List
Conducting an Experiment
5. Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Once your experiment is complete, you collect your measurements and analyze them to see if they support your hypothesis or not.

Scientists often find that their predictions were not accurate and their hypothesis was not supported, and in such cases they will communicate the results of their experiment and then go back and construct a new hypothesis and prediction based on the information they learned during their experiment. This starts much of the process of the scientific method over again. Even if they find that their hypothesis was supported, they may want to test it again in a new way.

Data Analysis & Graphs
Conclusions
6. Communicate Your Results
To complete your science fair project you will communicate your results to others in a final report and/or a display board. Professional scientists do almost exactly the same thing by publishing their final report in a scientific journal or by presenting their results on a poster or during a talk at a scientific meeting. In a science fair, judges are interested in your findings regardless of whether or not they support your original hypothesis.

Final Report
Abstract
Display Board
Science Fair Judging
View Quote

Must be a blast at parties.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
watching it in an Alert Shack while your jet is cocked on Alert for a nuclear exercise with 20 ALCM's loaded on it is a very surreal experience
View Quote

Kinda like watching Team America when you’re deployed to the Middle East in the early 2k’s?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't give a hoot in hell how you do it; you just get me to the primary!!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Kinda like watching Team America when you’re deployed to the Middle East in the early 2k’s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
watching it in an Alert Shack while your jet is cocked on Alert for a nuclear exercise with 20 ALCM's loaded on it is a very surreal experience

Been there too...Dirka Dirka Jihad
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#18]
My favorite movie of all time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I watched it a month ago for the first time, on Amazon Prime. I knew quotes from the movie but had never seen it before.

At first it started off so serious, then tried to be funny (I can find a lot of things funny, but nuclear war is not one of them - and this came out in the '60s???), then serious and funny then slapstick. I was confused.

I wouldn't say my time was wasted but I won't be watching again.

I've also never seen: Gone With The Wind; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Apocalypse Now and others.
View Quote

Basically, Kubrick started off trying to make a movie version of the novel Red Alert.  After he got partway into writing the script, he realized it was just too preposterously grim (as Fail Safe proved) and decided to make a black comedy with serious overtones (the entire script revolves around people making bad decisions that sound OK in isolation, but in context are totally mad).

There's a reason that GEN Ripper is calm and reasonable, while GEN Turgidson is manic and frequently crazy-sounding.....yet the former is the dude who just had a psychotic break and the latter is actually making reasonable points and being constructive.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah when they said that line I was in tears laughing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#21]
antiwar pap
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He almost steals the show from Peter Sellers. Almost.

View Quote

From which Peter Sellers?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That movie was gloriously offensive and awesome. I really wish they would have made a sequel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
antiwar pap
View Quote

It would be interesting to see a pro nuclear war movie.  Not pro weapons as a deterrent but straight up pro war.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4xpHTKhnc

Has he got a Chance??  

View Quote

I think this is one of the funniest scenes in the movie...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The great Stanley Kubrick.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It would be interesting to see a pro nuclear war movie.  Not pro weapons as a deterrent but straight up pro war.
View Quote

Jimmy Stewart made it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One of my favorite movies of all time. It was *the* movie that got me into Kubrick films too.

https://i.imgur.com/j1V0GiK.jpg
View Quote

I always liked this tribute.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/j1V0GiK.jpg

I always liked this tribute.
https://www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=4034&t=1
That *definitely* brings back some memories.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I wonder if they were the first ones to use shaky cam for the combat footage?  It was so realistic, it looked like documentary footage.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote

i'm referring to the science as embodied by strangelove...akin to the terminator in "the terminator" he represents (partially) the "good idea" that becomes perverted\tragically misued\completely bypassed by human chaos. see also jurassic park [actually all of chricton's stuff], alien trilogy, etc. ...i just like strangelove the best...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#32]
The B-52 flying over the treetops...
And no communication to stop the mission .

It gave me chills as a kid.

Years later I found out they were being funny.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I watched it a month ago for the first time, on Amazon Prime. I knew quotes from the movie but had never seen it before.

At first it started off so serious, then tried to be funny (I can find a lot of things funny, but nuclear war is not one of them - and this came out in the '60s???), then serious and funny then slapstick. I was confused.

I wouldn't say my time was wasted but I won't be watching again.

I've also never seen: Gone With The Wind; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Apocalypse Now and others.
View Quote

Oh my...my condolences to you and yours.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wonder if they were the first ones to use shaky cam for the combat footage?  It was so realistic, it looked like documentary footage.
View Quote
He used handheld cameras for those action scenes to make it more raw. It really contrasted with the fixed set camerawork.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

...jet exhaust cooking chickens in a barnyard!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4xpHTKhnc

Has he got a Chance??  

...jet exhaust cooking chickens in a barnyard!

My favorite part!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Parts are tedious, parts are beyond excellent.

Overall it's a 4/5 stars.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Eyes wide shut...Kubrick's last film...was reality-based, he somewhat mysteriously died before it's release.  Not a comedy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#38]
For those who don't know, the ending song was from WW2.
Vera Lynn - We'll Meet Again
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Eyes wide shut...Kubrick's last film...was reality-based, he somewhat mysteriously died before it's release.  Not a comedy.
View Quote

I thought he had a heart attack.

Eyes Wide Shut had a lot of great atmosphere.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Jimmy Stewart made it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jimmy Stewart made it.

Are you thinking Strategic Air Command or one of the public relations or training films?  

I barely remember the plot of Strategic Air Command.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For those who don't know, the ending song was from WW2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM_VmN6ytk
View Quote

She passed away last year at 103 years of age.

She was also mentioned in Pink Floyd's The Wall.

She was quite a Dame.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Remember to say your prayers tonight. Lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#43]
And although I hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like General Ripper exceeded his authority.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
“Peace is our profession” lmao

Some sweet 1919 action.
View Quote

It was a real thing in Strategic Air Command,

Keep laughing hippie.  

ETA:  And I was beat by PCSutton and I chose the same two pics.

I do at least have a SAC Crest for the 2 years I did at FE Warren AFB.

Attachment Attached File

So the hippie comment still applies to the OP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Failsafe had some really great scenes too.

The bit where the bombers smack Soviet interceptors out of the air with "defensive missiles" (something like a SRAM) while inbound to their targets, resulting in the airmen back at SAC cheering....only for the General to yell at them to shut up, because....yeah, if the US bombers get through, it's WW III and we started it.

Edit: Found it.  About 55:50 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOSENEFRPM
View Quote

The phone calls to the ambassadors describing the tone they would hear and the handset melting on the other end of the line was pretty chilling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#46]
It's a great guys movie, I love it anyway.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wanna know what I think? I think you're some kind of deviated prevert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUAK7t3Lf8s

View Quote

Do you think I carry loose change into combat?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#48]

I still think it’s funny.  It’s just the sort of ass backwards thing the military would do or say and quite obviously did!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I visited Griffiss AFB back in 1987 and overheard a conversation between some aircrew members about Discovery Channel being on base filming some episode about the B-52s stationed there.

One of the comments was that the Discovery production crew had shown Dr Strangelove to all the personnel involved to be able to discuss reality vs the movie.  The salient point overheard was that most of the B52 crewmembers involved had never heard of the film before that showing.

Bet they'd never seen Jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command or Rock Hudson in Gathering Of Eagles, either.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch the guy in the hat to his left when he throws the Nazi salute...he almost loses it laughing.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top