BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have heard they are not good with young kids at all as a general rule unless you're a master trainer which I am not. I would consider myself average and attentive but not on that level they would require
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Belgian Malinois is better in every single way...I have both and will never get another GSD when I can get a Mal.
I have heard they are not good with young kids at all as a general rule unless you're a master trainer which I am not. I would consider myself average and attentive but not on that level they would require

Agreed. We had to re-home our six month old GSD two weeks ago after it started attacking our daughter. Dog just became very aggressive towards the kid and was smart enough to wait until I wasn’t around to start acting up, so correcting the behavior was difficult. In the final few weeks the dog started biting my wife. I am talking about latching onto wrists and swinging her head around like you see on an episode of COPS.

It was devastating as we had really grown attached to her. I can go into details if you want to IM me. We did try two different trainers with poor results. The last one was honest and said the dog was stubborn and just trying to be alpha over the kid.

My Mother in law offered to take the dog as she had experience with the breed and felt the biting was normal. Wish someone would have told me before we bought it and got attached to it.

I would strongly advise against a GSD unless you have had them in the past. I would be concerned with your young child in the house.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ok maybe Show dog was not big thing not sure where I got that it appears they are working lines

This is the description of the particular parents

Dad

"Titan is our handsome 5 year old black and red 85lb AKC German Shepherd and the son of Zeus.  He has solid nerves, is very intelligent, friendly, playful, and has a high ball drive with an intense focus. He has numerous VA1 and ScHH3 titled dogs in his pedigree with 2X VA1 titled dogs on his mom and dads side."

Mom

Bailey is our gorgeous 5 1/2 year old 75lb black and red AKC German Shepherd.  She is friendly with a great temperment, has solid nerves, loyal, and intelligent.  Bailey comes from a long linage of working dogs and has numerous champion SchH3 titled dogs in her impressive pedigree along with VA1 dogs. Both of her parents are titled working dogs.

View Quote

The Sire I can see being west German WL. The dame on the other hand.... NO FUCKING WAY. Her back is sloped.

This is what a female WL GSD should look like (notice the straight level back)

Attachment Attached File

Now, the breeder could have "stacked" the dame for the picture. Which is not uncommon. But you don't want to represent a working line dog with a stacked posture like that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would hold off a bit. Wait until the child is 5-6 and can understand how to behave with the puppy. GSDs need a lot of attention and so does your 3 year old.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have twin toddler boys.  
We have a black lab/GSD mix and a Belgian mal/GSD mix.
They love the boys and would never hurt them. When the boys get too grabby with them, they whine and look to me to stop it.  I tell them “good dog” and take them from the situation with the boys.  I also try to teach the boys to be nice to the dogs, but that will take time.

Bottom line, if you worry that the dog is a good fit for your house, you need to be proactive and make sure the house isn’t a lose lose situation for the dog.  Be mindful of it getting stressed by the kid and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
That pup would grow up to love and protect your son. Whether it works for you depends on your dedication.  Puppies are hard!  I took in 2 tiny pitbulls from the street and wanted to cry some nights. But I got them into great homes later so was worth it.  

Have you been around a working line gsd?  They require training and activity.  They are smart.  They are not what you see in American lines.  They need a job.  

Hop over to germanshepherds . com to ask and learn.  They are lil alligators.  I love gsds, my gal is 12, almost 13, but know what you are getting into, then decide.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Delete
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We were looking at labs too but even those are fetching $1,000 these days

Dog prices are insane right now

Although standard Newfie's are about $2400 shipped so all these are not too far out of line. I do agree that she is pretty expensive
View Quote

That’s not at all out of line for a quality pup.

If you get her, be prepared for a nippy stage. It’s nothing that can’t be overcome, but it can scare little kids and your toddler may get a few little scratches. This doesn’t mean the puppy is bad or vicious. It’s a herding dog, and they were bred for years to use their mouths to move things around. She just needs to learn to moderate that drive and direct it in an appropriate manner.

Be prepared as well for a lot of energy and intelligence. They are constantly observing and learning, even when you aren’t actively trying to teach them anything. That means they may learn things you didn’t intend to teach them.

You’ll also need to socialize and teach manners. To get a dog that is protective rather than just reactive or aggressive, they need to learn the spectrum of normal human behavior and appearance. Otherwise, everything is abnormal and suspicious. Socialization is more than just ‘drag them everywhere and let everyone manhandle them’. It’s about introducing new things in a safe, positive, non-threatening manner and allowing the puppy to investigate at their own pace.

Most importantly, TEACH YOUR TODDLER DOG MANNERS. This is 100% critical, regardless of what type of dog you get. Your toddler should never be allowed to be alone with your dog for any length of time. He or she should not be allowed to pull, pinch, squish, grab, hit, sit on, or harass the dog. EVER. If the dog moves away or exhibits behavior that indicates it is uncomfortable or nervous (lip licking, wide eyes, staring, avoidance, etc.), you step in and intervene. If the dog looks at you to be saved, you intervene. And by intervene, I mean you stop what the child is doing, not punish the dog. In doing so, you teach your child the limits of what’s acceptable, and you teach your dog that you will handle problems so it doesn’t have to. And believe me, if you demonstrate that you won’t or can’t stop problems, the dog will eventually reach a point where it decides it will. Each dog is different, but they all have that point.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
In for more pics of GSD pups.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Sire I can see being west German WL. The dame on the other hand.... NO FUCKING WAY. Her back is sloped.

This is what a female WL GSD should look like (notice the straight level back)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471670/20180713_185733_jpg-1838181.JPG

Now, the breeder could have "stacked" the dame for the picture. Which is not uncommon. But you don't want to represent a working line dog with a stacked posture like that.
View Quote

Stacks and toplines are funny things, and very easy to manipulate.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted in your other thread.
I've got a GSD, Bullmastiff and English Bulldog
Only negative about my GSD is shedding, which I knew up front; alert, energetic, playful, affectionate.
Bullmastiff is low shed, not mouthy, kid friendly, not inclined to fetch a ball. He is laid back, but nobody wants to piss off a 138# dog.
English Bulldog is my 4th one, not a watchdog,  but is very kid friendly and a great low energy companion.
Two of my dogs were 2k each without breeding rights.
Obviously, I dont think 2k is too much for a dog.
CDW4ME math, let's assume dog lives at least 10 years and the initial cost is $2,500.
$2,500 ÷ 10 years, that is $250 a year, or less than $1 a day to have the exact dog desired; you will spend more than that to feed it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Cute dog op... Glad you got rid of pit... Hope she works out...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Working line dog that you are fully committed to actually working...right...?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Toddlers: teach your dog "kiss", that it means to lick your face.  Then when a kid bothers then,  tell them to "kiss" the kids.

Your dog will learn REAL fast that it can make bothersome kids go away by licking their faces.  It gives the dog an acceptable defense against kids.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Long story short we had to rehome a 9 month old pitbull due to some unpredictable behavior and aggression at our 3 year old son.

View Quote

No shit

Glad you’re looking at better breeds now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll go against the grain and say if you got a toddler, I'm not sure it's the best time to be raising a rapidly growing puppy, they all tend to nip and have some territorial issues.
View Quote

In light of this (two breeds he's chosen with the drive, strength and tenacity to end a kid's life in a heartbeat should it go south), I'll ask: OP, do you just HAVE to have a badass looking dog?

There's 400+ breeds. Some are docile to the point where you'd need to cattle prod them to get them mean.

Why a GSD?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah stacking a dog is for the weirdos.
View All Quotes

You really can tell a lot from a proper stack, though. I highly recommend this book if you want to geek out.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Cute puppy!

Get pet insurance -- mom's back is typical of the American AKC breed -- overbred to be so low as to potentially cause hip issues.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Toddlers: teach your dog "kiss", that it means to kick your face.  Then when a kid bothers then,  tell them to "kiss" the kids.

Your dog will learn REAL fast that it can make bothersome kids go away by licking their faces.  It gives the dog an acceptable defense against kids.
View Quote

Had to read your first sentence several times before i realized there was a typo, the whole time thinking “that sounds like a terrible idea” then i realized it.

Tagging this thread for more info. Looking at getting a GSD pup. Looked at a store this weekend, going rate was $6k (I’d never get a puppymill puppy). Going to start looking at breeders come spring.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Cute pup.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Do it! Roxy is now 10 months old. She definitely went through the nipping phase but after we got that out of her she’s the been the most gentle dog we could of asked for.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
As with all puppies they mouth everyone and everything. If I had a toddler I would not think twice about getting another GSD. We love ours and the bond with a GSD and kids is special. But, you have to train the pup, do your part and it will work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#25]
You are going to have the time of your life op.  Buy tennis balls in bulk.  Exercise her everyday.  Love her unconditionally and she'll be the best dog you've ever had.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Long story short we had to rehome a 9 month old pitbull due to some unpredictable behavior and aggression at our 3 year old son.

We we're pretty much set on a golden retriever or Newfie in order to have a safe breed with our kids and especially my toddler who can be a monster sometimes.

I decided to look at some German shepherds since I have a buddy who loves his and I like the idea of one protecting my family while Im at work whereas a golden might be too nice.

I know most here recommend getting one from a good breeder to not have any issues that plague the backyard breeders. We are in Phoenix at the moment.

We came across this gorgeous female. She's from desert mountain German shepherds in Phoenix and is fully papered and has a two year health guarantee. Strong working and show bloodlines.

her current human has to get rid of her due to her partner having asthma attacks since they brought her home.

She is 12 weeks old, all shots, full AKC,fantastic bloodlines, potty trained, and does well in the leash but does pull a bit. They charge $2800 with a huge wait list so getting her for $2500 and no wait would be nice. Definitely more than we want to spend but I'm willing to get a fantastic dog.

I just want to make sure GSDs are solid with toddlers that can be rough at times. She would be loved and go everywhere with us and be inside most of the time unless she wants to be out back.

Here is the cutie

https://images.craigslist.org/00U0U_4ZvoAZU3tmvz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00x0x_53AN72wMMnHz_0CI0CI_600x450.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00G0G_cGUeEZntfG8z_0lW0CI_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00L0L_8fV32pE10Wpz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

View Quote

@azerious58

If you want one for protection and health, do not go with a showline GSD. Look for a WL GSD. Shoot me a PM, my wife (veterinarian) compete in schutzhund with GSDs and can provide some guidance here.

Rule #1 - Reputable breeders are not going to advertise on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207862/A6D34E35-7F8D-4E4A-8170-9274E2F29699_jpe-1838297.JPG

Do it! Roxy is now 10 months old. She definitely went through the nipping phase but after we got that out of her she’s the been the most gentle dog we could of asked for.
View Quote

My last GSD was named Roxy! Great family photo there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Had to read your first sentence several times before i realized there was a typo, the whole time thinking “that sounds like a terrible idea” then i realized it.

Tagging this thread for more info. Looking at getting a GSD pup. Looked at a store this weekend, going rate was $6k (I’d never get a puppymill puppy). Going to start looking at breeders come spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toddlers: teach your dog "kiss", that it means to kick your face.  Then when a kid bothers then,  tell them to "kiss" the kids.

DOH.  :D

stupid autocorrect. ;D
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#29]
My GSD loves my kids but doesn't like toddlers for some reason
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Belgian Malinois is better in every single way...I have both and will never get another GSD when I can get a Mal.

Mine is great around my kids and wouldn't hesitate to protect my girls. I have mine trained and we worked alongside a pro trainer since he was about 20 weeks old all the way to young adult. They absolutely do require training but they learn at an extremely fast rate. I don't know if I just got a good one, great trainer or a combination of both but even the trainer was surprised at how fast the Mall picked things up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#31]
We got twins.  Super smart. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

ETA: I am a K-9 officer.

Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

elaborate please...besides brute, dumb strength a Mal is absolutely superior. They are faster, more agile, just as smart and if anything less stubborn than my GSD at least. We could also get into the health issues that GSDs tend to carry that Malinois often do not. We could also talk about my wife's favorite subject...shedding. GSD is a fucking NIGHTMARE, so I stand by my statement.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#33]
As far as that $2,400 price....

I have a pipefitter friend at work.

He raises labra-doodles, golden-doodles, and some aussie-poo mix.

For the dogs that have one blue eye and one brown eye, he asks for $5,000, and he gets it.

He says there are a lot of lesbo couples that come down from Chicago and pay it, in cash!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll go against the grain and say if you got a toddler, I'm not sure it's the best time to be raising a rapidly growing puppy, they all tend to nip and have some territorial issues.
View Quote
In addition to the fact that their last choice was a pitbull, which was aggressive towards the child.

People with toddlers seeking out large powerful dogs with aggressive reputations seems extremely foolish to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Such adorable little shits.

You need to be on yhe ball with them. They are a bit energetic.  Long walks and lots of working with them. Burn some of that energy off.  I have learned with this little ball of cuteness. Dont let her have time or room to get into mischief for a bit.   Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In addition to the fact that their last choice was a pitbull, which was aggressive towards the child.

People with toddlers seeking out large powerful dogs with aggressive reputations seems extremely foolish to me.
View Quote

What worries me more is that he describes the child as being hands-on and “a monster” with the dog. That more than anything tells me that they aren’t properly socializing and teaching their child. No breed is guaranteed safe, doubly so if the child isn’t being given limits and taught how to interact safely. Sure, the last dog may have exhibited aggression, but how much of that was because the parents weren’t intervening, and will that lack of intervention continue with the next dog? If so, the next dog may exhibit the same behavior regardless of what breed it is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn that's a lot of money.

Paid $35 for my GSD "mix" at the local shelter.  He was rambunctious when we first got him but we were told he was picked up on the street.  He adjusted quickly and well and is the gentlest thing we could want with our boys, friends, and family while still being very alert and territorial when it comes to strangers.  I think he's perfect.

ETA: Daily walks, long hikes in the woods on weekends, and lots of tug.  He's good to go.

Couple weeks after coming home...

Glamour shot...

Keeping an eye on the meter reader...

Good with teenagers...

But also good at keeping strangers away...

This pic is a lie.  I was putting the seat guard in my car to take him to the woods and he was excited.  This is his "happy face."
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Update: after some consideration to the replies here and talking with the wife I think we might be leaning towards a Newfoundland puppy or golden like before.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
With a toddler home, how often are you really going to have time to spend 30 minutes in the morning, and another 30 to 45 minutes at night exercising/training (tiring out) a dog?  

As our vet preaches - for the first 5 years or so, the dog (if exercised) gets stronger and develops greater endurance.  Meanwhile, the adult owners get older and weaker.   So, think real hard before you get a high energy dog.   Do you have the time to commit to training and exercising the dog?  

At our house, its 45 minute walk every single morning, and a 45 minute walk every single night.   Plus, play time at lunch or in the afternoon.   And, about 20 minutes of running crazily thru the house.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Beautiful dogs but the hip dysplasia is a non-starter. Get a Doberman!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do yourself a favor and check out Ayers legends, even give him a call. It’s a bit of a long wait for one but well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I have an 8 year old female Shepherd that we got as a pup before we had kids. She pretty much identifies as a golden retriever-she’s that docile. My (human) boys are now 7, 5 and 3. We got a male Shepherd pup about 5 weeks ago.

The pup is mouthy, but he’s rapidly learning and getting better. So are my kids-teaching them that puppies explore the world with their mouths but that he’s not trying to hurt them. There were a few instances of him grabbing the 3 year olds shirt and trying to pull (picture coppertone sunscreen logo/ads) but my 3 year old has figured out how to not put his hands in the pups mouth for the most part. So yes there have been tears from my kids at times, but no blood and nothing really unexpected or concerning.

He’s teaching my boys to pick up their toys that they don’t want eaten. They like throwing sticks for him and my older boy is learning responsibility by feeding the dogs. There are other benefits as well but I don’t want make a TLDR.

Never mind. TLDR: get the pup!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Toddlers: teach your dog "kiss", that it means to lick your face.  Then when a kid bothers then,  tell them to "kiss" the kids.

View Quote

I’m stealing this
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I’m stealing this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m stealing this

Please do!

We taught that to our dogs... it took just one or two times of toddlers running up, and "hugging" the dogs (squeezing their necks), us saying "kiss-kiss", and the toddler running away, and THE LIGHT BULB WENT ON.

Seriously, our dogs will be laying there, a kid will start running up to them, they'll get a "not this crap again" look, and as soon as the kid is within reach, they'll lick their face WITH A FURY.  The kid runs away, the dogs look like "Yeah, take that, you little turd", and lie back down again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Update: after some consideration to the replies here and talking with the wife I think we might be leaning towards a Newfoundland puppy or golden like before.
View Quote

If you get a newfoundland, @ me with puppy pics.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My brother breeds British Black Labs, and I breed East German/Czech WL GSDs.
View Quote

I ended up with my Dad’s two WL Czech Sable GSD’s when life had to go a different direction for him and he got out of SAR work. Two of the best dogs ever. Came trained thanks to his hard work. Excellent with kids. RIP, Dad, Xuna, and Tonks. Wife made running buddies out of one of them and on more than one occasion had LEO comment on the dog. Sables are rare in this area.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just want mine back.  GSD's are good dogs, proper training like any other.  Raise it like it's your kids dog, include it everything and it will love your kid like it's own.
My daughter with my male GSD in better times before he died of Fcancer
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253119/Ava_and_Bear_jpg-1838179.JPG

her new baby Caucasian Shepherd who's been a great dog for me and her
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253119/Ava_and_Cheka_2_jpg-1838183.JPG
View Quote

Caucasian Shepherd as in Orvchorka?

If so get that dog a saddle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#49]
8 week old Kuiper came home with us a month ago. She's still a little nippy but is already learning to be gentle with our two year old,  and is very tolerant of his toddler shenanigans.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

I didn't want to say it, but I was thinking the same thing.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top