Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
How often do you replace your engine?

You can throw those spent batteries in the same hole-in-the-ground they are burying the non-recyclable fiberglass blades from wind turbines........ every ten years.

This is my surprised face.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love how people think electric vehicles are part of a grand Must Comply enslavement scheme.

How much effort would it take for you, right now, to construct a way to generate your own electricity at home?

Comparatively, how much effort would it take for you, right now, to construct a way to synthesize gasoline at home?

Cord cutters and off the grid types should be delighted by electric vehicles. They open up so many more possibilities for you.
View Quote

When you can carry spare gas cans on a rack on the roof and instantly add hundreds more miles, its a pretty good argument for IC.  

I will wait until recharging is instantaneous and you can carry spare "electricity" to increase your range.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love how people think electric vehicles are part of a grand Must Comply enslavement scheme.
View Quote

Okay, so how would YOU refer to already enacted legislation prohibiting the sale of new ICE vehicles after a certain date?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As a lover of cars, motorcycles, and airplanes... 00uuI understand the positives of EVs, but they will never have a "soul" like many ICEs do... the same way that no matter how close they get at guitar amplifier digital modeling, it will never have that same mojo of a glowing, imperfect, but each very unique vacuum tube. That's my personal viewpoint. Tesla's and other performance EV cars can accellerate at STUPID rates that will push you back in your seat. But if you've ever watched a [preferrably V8/V10/V12 era] Formula One race, and then watch a Formula E race... the latter still sounds like toy slot cars racing around a track. There's no magic or mojo in any EV car... and that's unappealing to car guys. Think of Porsches from the 50s through the 80s, or a Ferrari of a similar era, or an old radial or P-51 Merlin airplane engine... there are seemingly magical things about these old classics. it is doubtful that there will ever be EVs that inspiring. But of course, soccor moms and many cubical or home office drones don't give a shit about cars, other than commuting or just a staus symbol... and that will only become truer as time marches on.
View Quote

The Reno Air Races might be over forever.

But as much as I liked watching the warbirds race I liked watching the Jets and the Light Sport aircraft do their thing as much or more because they are significantly more reliable than the warbirds.

There's something comforting about that extra reliability margin when you're watching aircraft zip by at around 500 mph.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty sure people living in Manhattan don't leave their cars at gas stations either.

People that have garages or parking garage spots can charge them there. For people that street park only, can take an hour each week to charge up? Just like getting gas, it just takes a little longer.
View Quote

And the question is............WHERE???

You want to go to some "electric plug in station" and spend an hour there each week???
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You want to go to some "electric plug in station" and spend an hour there each week???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure people living in Manhattan don't leave their cars at gas stations either.

People that have garages or parking garage spots can charge them there. For people that street park only, can take an hour each week to charge up? Just like getting gas, it just takes a little longer.

At a gas station?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Electric cars are the future.

If you disagree, it's because you haven't done the math. It's that simple.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most people who live in NYC don't own a car anyway, so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say you live in NYC........where are all the plugs going to be?

Not everyone has a garage and driveway.

Seriously are all you guys suburbanites all your lives???

MILLIONS of people own vehicles who do not have driveways for god's sake.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Family road trip in an EV...

Drive to your destination, plug in and wait around the hotel while the sun goes down.

Road trip in an IC, drive to your destination, gas up, then go explore, drive around and see the sights, etc.  No using nasty ride shares to get around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Tesla supercharger network will need to be grow as more cars end up on the road. There will likely be other companies who get involved and have franchised charging stations. Just like gas stations now.

Stop acting like everything will stay exactly the same as it is now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't figure out how to find a charging port near some restaurants where you can eat and charge for once or twice a week...

Or don't have a charger at work....

Or don't have your own parking area at home....

Maybe it isn't for you? Lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At a gas station?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/20201126_121026-1702610.jpg

For an hour each week???

They better build a few thousand new outlets at all these stations........of course traffic won't be a problem, nor will charging lines, etc.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Tesla supercharger network will need to be grow as more cars end up on the road. There will likely be other companies who get involved and have franchised charging stations. Just like gas stations now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battery technology and charger availability will never improve!

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How you look right now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When you can carry spare gas cans on a rack on the roof and instantly add hundreds more miles, its a pretty good argument for IC.  

I will wait until recharging is instantaneous and you can carry spare "electricity" to increase your range.
View Quote

Just throw 5 or 6 honda 2000i generators in the trunk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you can't figure out how to find a charging port near some restaurants where you can eat and charge for once or twice a week...

View Quote

I think the change in infrastructure will be so DRACONIAN and MAJOR that you might be overlooking the entire picture a bit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Talk to me at 280,000 miles at 23 years like I have on my Cherokee. ;)

Also until they can go 300 miles before refill and refill in less than 20 min they are not an effective replacement.

They are fancy and gadgety though!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife's Prius is 10 years old with close to 90,000 miles and the battery health is fine.

Replacement ICE's aren't cheap either and aren't getting any cheaper, however batteries will only become cheaper.

Talk to me at 280,000 miles at 23 years like I have on my Cherokee. ;)

Also until they can go 300 miles before refill and refill in less than 20 min they are not an effective replacement.

They are fancy and gadgety though!

I know we are focusing on the batteries but also consider the simplicity of an electrical motor vs the complexity of a gasoline motor.
Water pumps, alternators, fan belts, fuel injectors and on and on.  Imagine how much cheaper (gotta get these numbers) an electrical motor is to buy for replacement and how much less labor is required to install it.  So there is labor costs as well.

Think of it this way, imagine if you will, your electrical appliances were instead powered by gasoline motors, like a gasoline powered ceiling fan for instance...

I do a lot of video work for some of the biggest mines on the planet, about a year ago I was with the General Manager of a mammoth open pit mine in New Guinea and I asked him about their unbelievably big Komatsu trucks compared to their Caterpillar trucks.  He said the Komatsu's were electric with a diesel generator just to keep the batteries charged and they required very little maintenance to keep them running, costs much less to run and have a fraction of downtime compared to the Caterpillar diesels and in the future they will be going all be electric.  The giant shovels are also electric as well as is anything they can get electric.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Electric cars are the future.

If you disagree, it's because you haven't done the math. It's that simple.
View Quote

It is the future but it won't be the total future unless gov mandated.

If ICE is not banned then they will be around for another 100 years

By 2050 1/3 of all cars are going to be electric, the other 2/3 will be hybrids
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

We landed people on the moon and split the atom, but outlets on sidewalks are a bridge too far...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Not everyone wants to keep their vehicles until the wheels fall off.

If I didn’t have a kid turning 16 soon my ‘14 RAM would’ve been gone yrs. ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The battery has a minimum lifespan of 1,500 charge cycles, which should translate to 300,000+ miles (standard range/standard range plus) to 500,000 miles (long-range variants)

New batteries will be hitting 1 million miles+ lifespan within a few years.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How you look right now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200145/971A2524-D505-4FDF-A29F-E03268F11085_jpe-1799118.JPG

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For an hour each week???

They better build a few thousand new outlets at all these stations........of course traffic won't be a problem, nor will charging lines, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At a gas station?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/20201126_121026-1702610.jpg

For an hour each week???

Electric Cars' range are quickly catching up to ICE range. Effectively you don't need to charge much I'd any more often than you'd need to stop for gas.

And charging times are coming down as well.

Even if it takes 6 times longer to charge...

How often do you see EVERY gas pump taken up at a Sheetz?

And throw into that all the people that DO charge at home.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As a lover of cars, motorcycles, and airplanes... 00uuI understand the positives of EVs, but they will never have a "soul" like many ICEs do... the same way that no matter how close they get at guitar amplifier digital modeling, it will never have that same mojo of a glowing, imperfect, but each very unique vacuum tube. That's my personal viewpoint. Tesla's and other performance EV cars can accellerate at STUPID rates that will push you back in your seat. But if you've ever watched a [preferrably V8/V10/V12 era] Formula One race, and then watch a Formula E race... the latter still sounds like toy slot cars racing around a track. There's no magic or mojo in any EV car... and that's unappealing to car guys. Think of Porsches from the 50s through the 80s, or a Ferrari of a similar era, or an old radial or P-51 Merlin airplane engine... there are seemingly magical things about these old classics. it is doubtful that there will ever be EVs that inspiring. But of course, soccor moms and many cubical or home office drones don't give a shit about cars, other than commuting or just a staus symbol... and that will only become truer as time marches on.
View Quote

Completely agree. I describe myself an "analog" guy. I like vinyl records and liquor aged in barrels and hand-made wooden furniture and a sputtering V-12 engine.
These are things that excite my senses and bring me joy.
Like I said above, there's nothing inherently wrong with an EV if that's what people prefer. Just like they may prefer Ikea furniture or designer Vodkas or the silent
whirl of an electric motor or an MP3 download. In my mind, they are more of a "digital" personality and that's fine.

But I truly resent being told that I'm no longer allowed to have my choice, because the other group has deemed my choice "wrong think". Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Electric Cars' range are quickly catching up to ICE range.

View Quote

God help us...........
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If we went back to 1910 there would be many people saying the same thing about gas cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Average electric vehicle: 1500 parts.

Average ICE vehicle: 10,000 parts.

Conversation over. Electric vehicles will dominate commuting in the next few decades.

false

No way electric vehicles take over with the myriad of disadvantages it has.

*battery life sucks
*cost more than ICE vehicles
*not enough locations to charge
*not enough POWER produced to charge vehicles
*reality is that electric vehicles have a lower lifespan than ICE vehicles do.
*many many many parking lots and garages, especially urban DO NOT have an ability to charge
*imagine the hundreds of cars at airport parking lots all fighting for the 20-30 charging ports
LOFL

If we went back to 1910 there would be many people saying the same thing about gas cars.
This is the general argument people make but the vehicle itself isn't the problem we've had over 100 years since then and have all these modern manufacturing processes and engineering tools.
It's not like gas where the energy is already there but people need to find a way to use more of it. And work out reliable issues.
There are so many things that would have benefited from better batteries. Plenty of very smart people are working on that. Chemistry is the problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That is why I would never buy one. I buy used and like to keep my vehicles 20+ years. For most people that isn't an issue.
View Quote

Bruh!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is the future but it won't be the total future unless gov mandated.

If ICE is not banned then they will be around for another 100 years

By 2050 1/3 of all cars are going to be electric, the other 2/3 will be hybrids
View Quote

ICE will be reduced to niche applications.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

God help us...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God help us...........

Do you regularly see every gas pump at every gas station with a car at it?

I generally see about 1/4 to 1/3 of pumps taken up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My car will burn $10,000 in gas over it’s entire life.

16k is a lot to spend on an energy tank that you have to fill every 200 miles.
View Quote

Your math sucks I sure hope your car last way longer than that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#31]
It costs $10k for BMW to replace the central coolant pipe in a 760Li's engine.  It runs front to back, between the banks, with vulcanized rubber seals on the ends of the pipe. It will fail, just a question of when. The only way to fix it with the OEM pipe is to strip it to the short block, replace the pipe and reassemble everything.

Aftermarket, someone makes a two piece pipe with polymer seals. Cut out the old pipe, insert new pipe, unthread inner sleeve of new pipe until both sides are firmly seated and then it locks in place somehow so it can't spin shorter.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Reno Air Races might be over forever.

But as much as I liked watching the warbirds race I liked watching the Jets and the Light Sport aircraft do their thing as much or more because they are significantly more reliable than the warbirds.

There's something comforting about that extra reliability margin when you're watching aircraft zip by at around 500 mph.
View Quote

I love jets. They're my favorite motorized things. I still sit at the end of our local runway in awe as a very common UPS 767 rumbles down the runway on its takeoff roll and then leaps skyward there at thousands of feet per minute. I never get tired of jet takeoffs. And of course fighter jets are that much more awsome. As much more reliable and much less variable turbine engines are... there's still a soul there at high outputs, for even if they're too smooth in cruise descent. Landing is cool too because you've got thrust reversers making something more interesting, for me at least.

The new EV aircraft prototypes seem like drones to me. Nothing to get excited about. No man and his machine magic. Just Gerge Jetson's boring bubble car.

I believe that one of my favorite songs illustrates this feeling and our futurre best...

Rush - Red Barchetta (Live (1981/Canada)

And even more emotionally moving and awe inspiring... and no EV in sight...

Rush - Countdown with Shuttle Liftoff

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't wait, it will be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The battery has a minimum lifespan of 1,500 charge cycles, which should translate to 300,000+ miles (standard range/standard range plus) to 500,000 miles (long-range variants)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2813/Cycles_PNG-1799119.JPG

The 18650 is pretty old tech now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not bricked, but Tesla blacklists cars from supercharging if they don't approve of repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQPLbP-A8CU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

Not bricked, but Tesla blacklists cars from supercharging if they don't approve of repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQPLbP-A8CU

Yeah, sign me right up for that. 40% less range in the winter and car lies to you about it, they can lock you out of features remotely., etc. I’ll keep my ICE and my freedom, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

God help us...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God help us...........
Hopefully it's to help boomers like you adapt to new tech better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#37]

You are a weird dude.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#38]

As technology advances, especially battery tech. There will be more demand for electric power.

Hopefully this will be addressed with power satellites. But if not then we can always just build a whole bunch of small molten salt reactors all over the place.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What happens when your ICE ruptures a power steering line 6 times in one year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
there are  shops that can  break  down your tesla battery.

find the bad cell and replace it.

and it will not cost  `16 grand.  

What happens when another cell goes bad a month later, then a couple more, then another over the next year?

Not exactly a fair comparison considering there are over 7,000 cells that make up the battery...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No problem.........the infrastructure changes will be a piece of cake considering only 280 MILLION vehicles are on the road today.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No problem.........the infrastructure changes will be a piece of cake considering only 280 MILLION vehicles are on the road today.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean. You don't personally have to replace them all TONIGHT...

I'll give you until at least next week!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#42]

500 miles range
1100hp
AWD
1/8" stainless steel skin

Future is now gramps
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Electric cars are a top down driven tech, driven by the establishment religion of environmentalism. Battery tech will improve but likely not like those pushing it want. All tech doesn't advance the same way.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you think that all cars are going to magically turn to EVs overnight?

It's going to take a few decades. Putting up plugs and chargers is not hard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Electric cars are a top down driven tech, driven by the establishment religion of environmentalism. Battery tech will improve but likely not like those pushing it want. All tech doesn't advance the same way.

View Quote

4680 batteries, which Tesla is ramping up now, are good enough. And they will only get better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

We were supposed to have flying cars by 1980.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elon is not driven by environmentalism, hes going to Mars and there is no dino oil to burn there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You get another PS line for $20. But that person should really be looking at the PS pump as a potential problem.

OR like my Ram which Dodge helpfully converted to an all electric PS rack with no pump or lines... which now fails to find itself on start up under 32* and is now on National Backorder. When it is available it will be a $2000 repair rather than a $200 conventional rack. See ELECTRIC is the savior
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your calculations are off. My reasoning is the batteries are assumed to be the same for long range and standard range. The long range is turned on in software to allow you to use 100% of the battery therefore shortening its lifespan. Lithium likes being between the 20-80% mark and shortens its life outside of those parameters.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isan't a flying car just a rolling airplane?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top