Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything and everything by Patrick F. McManus.

Honestly, I hate reading unless I can get interested in it. I've started several times to try to read 1984 but just can't make myself do it. Guess I at least need to try another book or do what I don't want to do and that's give up and listen to audio books.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Read it, didn't blow me away, but it was interesting and scary.  Very well written.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HELTER SKELTER  I read it many years ago when I was in my early twenties, when the Manson murders were still fresh in everyone's mind.

Read it, didn't blow me away, but it was interesting and scary.  Very well written.

Check out The Family by Ed Sanders to get insights into how the Manson family really operated. Still in print.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've read the Moon is a Harsh Mistress but not Anathem.  Added to reading list and thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blew my mind and changed my life?  I could go on for a long time but here are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Sapiens by Yuval Harari.  Absolutely life changing - especially the part where he analyzes human happiness through history.  Just damn . . .

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  I was forced to read this by Major Leland at VMI . . . he said it was "the book that he knew that I needed".  While folks bag on Rand due to her trying to make an entire philosophic world out of her thoughts she hits it right on the goddamn head in this book.  A is A and a man who lives for others is a slave.

Anthem by Ayn Rand.  I found this book due to a recommendation from a friend - the last 10 paragraphs absolutely changed my life.  Check out my story if you're bored . . . .

Snowcrash and Cyptonomicon by Neil Stephenson.  So much goodness here . . . if you're a nerd these two books are the Bible.

The Lord of the Rings.  Freaking Tolkien INVENTED a genre and still hasn't been surpassed.  I've read these books every fall since I was 13.

A Demon Haunted World and A Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.  The guy was a lefty all the way - but his view of rationality changed my life.  Amazing writing.

Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein.  I get my libertarian streak from him and reading these books.

Add Anathem and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
I've read the Moon is a Harsh Mistress but not Anathem.  Added to reading list and thank you!

@_disconnector_

Anathem is one of my favorite novels. Pay VERY CLOSE attention to the opening, even though it won't make much sense the first time through. It's a very important setup to things that happen later. That is not a spoiler, but may help you follow the closing act.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I was in Grade School... "The Five Chinese Brothers"
As an Adult, "The Stand"
View Quote
@bushbandit

Five Chinese Brothers!!! I read that in the 60s and still remember it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The “Book of the New Sun” by Gene Wolfe.  One novel in four volumes, and it’s...impossible to really describe.  Yes, dying-earth sci-fi, but with a level of thought put into it that it transcends “genre fiction”.  Not that I mind genre fiction, but this goes well beyond that into something that manages to be deeply philosophical, meditative, weird in the best meaning of that tradition, and simultaneously an homage and a deconstruction of the “dying earth” genre while also happily existing within it and never breaking the fourth wall or a believable world.

“Dandelion Wine” by Ray Bradbury.  Summer as a boy distilled down into a timeless novel set in the 1920s.  As deep and rich as the titular concoction, and still something I read when I need a breath of warm summer air.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Red Storm Rising

Old Man's War
View Quote

Old mans series is great for the first and last 2, the middle books are ok

RSR i read prob once a year

The best revenge story every written

Without Remorse
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Old Man's War
View Quote

I just finished a read through of that series again yesterday actually.  It’s a quick but good jaunt.  Forever War is also a good one I saw mentioned.  

The Wheel of Time is pretty epic.  It drags a bit in the middle but it’s worth it.

Anything by Brandon Sanderson.  Mistborn is a good starting place.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The Creature from Jekyll Island
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The Stranger - Camus
The Fountainhead - Rand
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]
The Great Divorce by CS Lewis.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Bartleby the Scrivener
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#13]
"Fields of Fire" by James Web was a pretty good read for a young man, 30 years back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Tibetan Book of the Dead
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#15]
1) In HS, it would have been the whole LOTR universe.
2) In college, I was already a King fan (didn't think about him being asshoe way back then) but found the Bachman books that he wrote. Long Walk needs to be a movie.
3) At some point in all my travels, I found Footfall, which I read about every year or two.
4) Most notably, though, was when I checked into one particular training command and was issued a locker. Said locker's previous owner was one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children who was kind enough to clean out the locker except for one
excellent condition, original print Red Storm Rising. Amazing book, and I've been a Clancy fan ever since.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Everything that Tom Clancy and Vince Flynn actually wrote.

Stephen Coonts "Liberty's Last Stand" and all Jake Grafton, Tommy Carmellini books.

Stephen Hunter....all..
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]
The Catcher in the Rye.

Don't know why, but I always have to have a copy close by.
Have 26 copies stuck around the house, at work, in my bug-out bag.

Not read one of them yet, too damn busy reading every forum post I can find, trying to make sense of it all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#18]
The Count of Monte Cristo

The Three Musketeers series

The Lord of the Rings.

I couldn't say which is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Read it again.

On the third reading, I paid particular attention to the social commentary and especially the prediction of the fall of the country.  Predicted accurately in the 50s.

On the fourth reading, I paid particular attention to the commentary regarding effective military training, in particular the Officer corps.

The actual action sequences, like the initial planetary assault, are exciting, but there aren't many of them in the book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Entertaining yes, not mind blowing.

Read it again.

On the third reading, I paid particular attention to the social commentary and especially the prediction of the fall of the country.  Predicted accurately in the 50s.

On the fourth reading, I paid particular attention to the commentary regarding effective military training, in particular the Officer corps.

The actual action sequences, like the initial planetary assault, are exciting, but there aren't many of them in the book.

Honestly, about half the times I reread ST (literally dozens) I'll skip the Skinny assault chapter and the Planet P chapter. They are window dressing. The whole point of the book and why I love it is the social commentary.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I've started Moon is a Harsh Mistress a few times, and just couldn't get into it. Is it worth the read?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anything and everything by Patrick F. McManus.

Honestly, I hate reading unless I can get interested in it. I've started several times to try to read 1984 but just can't make myself do it. Guess I at least need to try another book or do what I don't want to do and that's give up and listen to audio books.
View Quote

1984 is a little bit of a grind to get going, but I promise it gets much better pretty quickly. Read it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Madness of the Crowds

My Life on the Plains
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#23]
"The last portage" Johnny O'meara

"Of Wolves and Men" Barry Lopez

The rest are hard to nail down as significantly relatable, or eyeball opening.

I had a subscription to "Omni" as a kid and got a monthly dose of crazy awesome from the greats of sci-fi to keep the brain churning..
while slogging hours in the Tractor, or not participating mentally in the classroom.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know if an original manuscript by Sci-fi Writer Frank M. Robinson is worth anything? It is done on typing paper and is still in the box in which Frank sent it to me.   I was given one to proof read many years ago before he sent it off to the publisher as I was the guy he consulted with about firearms.   It has been in the back of my book case for about 30 years or so.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Catcher in the Rye.

Don't know why, but I always have to have a copy close by.
Have 26 copies stuck around the house, at work, in my bug-out bag.

Not read one of them yet, too damn busy reading every forum post I can find, trying to make sense of it all.
View Quote

THERE you go!

You, Sir, have just made it onto a very special list if you weren’t on it already.
Good luck next time you try to fly commercial.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Pillars of the Earth
View Quote
I forgot about that one.

Pretty high on my list, though.

Sequels are good too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The “Book of the New Sun” by Gene Wolfe.  One novel in four volumes, and it’s...impossible to really describe.  Yes, dying-earth sci-fi, but with a level of thought put into it that it transcends “genre fiction”.  Not that I mind genre fiction, but this goes well beyond that into something that manages to be deeply philosophical, meditative, weird in the best meaning of that tradition, and simultaneously an homage and a deconstruction of the “dying earth” genre while also happily existing within it and never breaking the fourth wall or a believable world.

“Dandelion Wine” by Ray Bradbury.  Summer as a boy distilled down into a timeless novel set in the 1920s.  As deep and rich as the titular concoction, and still something I read when I need a breath of warm summer air.
View Quote

Read probably everything Bradbury wrote.  I had a HS English teacher who was awesome and encouraged reading and critical thinking.  (Thanks, Mr. C!)  He gave me a bunch of RB books and I gobbled them up.  I also went to lecture by RB back then, in the 70s.  Did you know RB did not have a drivers license and had to beg/borrow/hitch a ride to everywhere?  True story.

"Dandelion Wine" is a beautiful story.  A bit ethereal, but not scary.  Suitable for all ages.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Happens to be my favorite book.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I tried to wade through that one.  Ayn Rand needed an editor to trim off the last 50 pages.  Couldn't get into it, despite some truly excellent insights.
View Quote

Read 'The Fountainhead' instead, much better story, shorter and essentially the same concept.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Another I tried to digest.  Poorly written, poorly edited.
View Quote

Hate to break it to you, but the problem isn't the books.  It's you.

You lack the patience to take the time to read them.  The ideas are completely wasted on you because you've got the attention span of a gnat.

Fix that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Read 'The Fountainhead' instead, much better story, shorter and essentially the same concept.
View Quote

AS was so bad it turned me off of her.  Besides, I'm already on-board with much of her philosophy, not sure what can be gained by it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Bible (really 66 books)  I wish I had read it through earlier in life.  

Atlas Shrugged / The Fountainhead, 1984 - little did I know I was reading a vision of the future.

Passages - i read it at the right time in my life to understand what was going on around me, Adult Development.

Guns, Germs and Steel - not that it was correct, but it unlocked another way of thinking about how societies develop.

The 48 Laws of Power - read it at the right time in my life to apply its principals.

Nonzero - Game theory applied to life.

Blood lands - Woke me up to history that is often overlooked.

Gone with the Wind - I admired Scarlet's and Rhett's tenacity, adaptability and refusal to give up.

Deep Survival - Who lives, who dies and why

Liberal Fascism - the modern left, unmasked

On War / Principals of War - understanding Civil War, WW1&2.  Combined arms.

Kipling's poems, much better grounding than Siegfried Sassoon.

And a host of others...
View Quote

Liberal Fascism! Good book, good call. Helps show people how wrong they are when they think of liberals as kind and caring. All they want is conformity to their way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hate to break it to you, but the problem isn't the books.  It's you.

You lack the patience to take the time to read them.  The ideas are completely wasted on you because you've got the attention span of a gnat.

Fix that.
View Quote

Yeah, says the guy who probably has no idea who Aristotle was and who hasn't read a thing by him.  LOL!

When you've read a fraction of the books in my OP, let's chat.

Get that fixed, will ya?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm a scifi guy.

Starship Troopers.  I just keep reading it.

Old Man's War.  Read it a few times, too.

Yellow Eyes.  Watch on the Rhine.

Several of the books in the Drop Ship Troopers series were really good, too.
View Quote

This really did have some interesting twists.

I vote for Nova.  Lots of cutting edge concepts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I skipped most of John Galt's broadcast.  90% of readers of AS do
View Quote

When the wife picked up the audio book for AS I laughed. "Is it 30+ discs?"
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#37]
The Bible
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Atlas Shrugged.
View Quote

That is a good book, but her book "We the Living" rocked my world. Pinochet had the right idea...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not a book but a short story... one of my favorite authors is Arthur C. Clarke. I read the short story “The Nine Billion Names of God” at lunch in high school one day and it hit me big time. It was just so ... big. The end was incredible.
View Quote

Fantastic story.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Enders Game, I was 8.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#41]
When I read the thread title, the first thing I thought of was “Nicomachean Ethics”.

Madison’s notes from the Constitutional Convention was a great read.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, says the guy who probably has no idea who Aristotle was and who hasn't read a thing by him.  LOL!

Get that fixed, will ya?
View Quote

I've read the entirety of the Great Books collection (the 1954 edition with 54 volumes) by the time I was 19.  I speak three languages fluently.  I'm also published.

You're ignorant and arrogant.  Not a good combination.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I will put Meditations on my list.  Thx.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP you might like Serpent in the Sky by John Anthony West and his podcasts.

I finished The Inner Citadel recently, aka the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. You may like it given your op.

I will put Meditations on my list.  Thx.

If you're into the study of ancient yet advanced civilizations check out John anthony West. He is awesome
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've read the entirety of the Great Books collection (the 1954 edition with 54 volumes) by the time I was 19.  I speak three languages fluently.  I'm also published.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get that fixed, will ya?

Get over yourself. You claim to be published. Did you have an editor for your 1100 page novel?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#45]
OP, this one sounds like it's perfect for your list.

500 Year Leap

I have this and the main research book this is a derivative of, it's a huge tome called The Majesty of God's Law.  Lots of the philosophy of law and humanity is included.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I read for entertainment, so most of what I read can honestly be classified as trash or smut.  For fiction, I'd have to say The Stand, as others have also mentioned.  King's best work, IMO.  The character development is so good, and the plot so detailed, it's one I can read again every few years and still get something out of it.  Although it hasn't been one I wanted to revisit lately, because reasons.

Non fiction, when I was in high school I read Alive, by Piers Paul Read IIRC.  The story of the plane crash in the Andes mountains and how the survivors lived (or didn't).  Pretty graphic and grim.  I reread it a couple of times when I thought I had it bad, to put things back into perspective.  A few years ago I read Tears in the Darkness, about the Bataan Death March.  Another fairly horrible piece of history, that.  The absolute cruelty and inhumanity was so haunting to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Get over yourself. You claim to be published. Did you have an editor for your 1100 page novel?
View Quote

Haha, well it wasn't a novel.  You're right though.  I'm being too hard on that fella.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
For you Heinlein fans, I'd recommend Tunnel in the Sky.

Technically it's one of the Heinlein juvenile novels, but reads well for an adult.

In a nutshell, I'd call it the opposite of Lord of the Flies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When the wife picked up the audio book for AS I laughed. "Is it 30+ discs?"
View Quote

I actually LOLed during the monolog at the end.  I thought, "Who the hell built that fantastic private Shangri-La reserve where all these geniuses hang out and have pity parties?  Where's the plumbers, electricians, stonemasons, etc.?  Did they get an invite?  Or is it just the Galt-level Masters of the Universe?  Why don't the blue-collars who built it storm the place?"  

Instead of slogging through AS, it would be a better use of time to find a summary of Rand's philosophy and read that.  She was on to something, but it doesn't take 500+ prolix pages to understand it.  Jeez, the totality of Aristotle's work may be less than that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When I read the thread title, the first thing I thought of was “Nicomachean Ethics”.
View Quote

Incredible, isn't it?  Welcome aboard, citizen.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top