User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I kinda tend to crap on Parisian french people and Paris, but yeah, that's worth doing.  I would say for someone that's never traveled much, do London first.  I spent a day in the British Museum a few years ago, barely did it justice, and the curators invited me across the road to their pub for a pint afterwards.

That's not how, in general, parisians will treat you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Army used to have armor at Ft. Knox that was pretty cool to see. I know they moved it to GA to the national infantry museum, but I haven't been there.

Just throwing out places I've been to that are cool:

British Museum
Wright-Pat
Kublinka Tank Museum
Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
Smithsonian

There are a lot of other good places, but in terms of places that will take a solid day or more, that's an OK list. I'd get a cheap flight to London and do British Museum for a day, maybe spend another day or too.

I'm kinda ignoring Paris, which if your interests run more to art is awesome.

Muse de l'Arme

Plus Catacombs is a good day.

ETA: totally cool with turning this into a museum thread, I'll change the title if that helps.

Me and the wife went to both the Museum de Armee and the catacombs in Paris 2 years ago. Both were really cool to see.
Napoleans tomb in the lower level of the museum was massive. And the arms and armor room was awesome.

I kinda tend to crap on Parisian french people and Paris, but yeah, that's worth doing.  I would say for someone that's never traveled much, do London first.  I spent a day in the British Museum a few years ago, barely did it justice, and the curators invited me across the road to their pub for a pint afterwards.

IME Paris is broadly more fun but the British Museum is absolutely top tier, there’s no doubt about that. I have been fortunate not to experience the Parisian snobbery.

You could probably spend a week at the British museum and not see everything. It’s like a black hole. Everything that a museum should aspire to be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I plan to visit some day. Hopefully it doesn't go full retard. I want to see and hear about the history, but it's silly to try and overstate the contributions that some have had because of their physical characteristics. Just stick to history. Does that have to be so hard? No offense intended to anybody that served that they are honoring. They probably didn't want to be used as outright propaganda pieces.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I had the same experience at Monticello during the obama years. I wondered if the propaganda was dropped during the past 4 years but never made it back to see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It pissed me off going to Mt. Vernon and Monticello.  Both just monuments of how awful whites are.  I told the guide woman at Mt. Vernon to get lost, I'd appreciate the place on my own.

I had the same experience at Monticello during the obama years. I wondered if the propaganda was dropped during the past 4 years but never made it back to see.

Sorry to hear that.  Monticello is on my bucket list.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And since this is a gun board, I am going to make fun of them for the having a sign on a WW1 German plane explaining it was armed with two 9mm Spandau machine guns.
View Quote

I saw at a museum once that they made those at a repurposed ballet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Went there a few years ago. Amazing place!

The funniest part was the fat gates you had to fit through to get onto certain aircraft

Yes, we fit
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IME Paris is broadly more fun but the British Museum is absolutely top tier, there's no doubt about that. I have been fortunate not to experience the Parisian snobbery.

You could probably spend a week at the British museum and not see everything. It's like a black hole. Everything that a museum should aspire to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Army used to have armor at Ft. Knox that was pretty cool to see. I know they moved it to GA to the national infantry museum, but I haven't been there.

Just throwing out places I've been to that are cool:

British Museum
Wright-Pat
Kublinka Tank Museum
Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
Smithsonian

There are a lot of other good places, but in terms of places that will take a solid day or more, that's an OK list. I'd get a cheap flight to London and do British Museum for a day, maybe spend another day or too.

I'm kinda ignoring Paris, which if your interests run more to art is awesome.

Muse de l'Arme

Plus Catacombs is a good day.

ETA: totally cool with turning this into a museum thread, I'll change the title if that helps.

Me and the wife went to both the Museum de Armee and the catacombs in Paris 2 years ago. Both were really cool to see.
Napoleans tomb in the lower level of the museum was massive. And the arms and armor room was awesome.

IME Paris is broadly more fun but the British Museum is absolutely top tier, there's no doubt about that. I have been fortunate not to experience the Parisian snobbery.

You could probably spend a week at the British museum and not see everything. It's like a black hole. Everything that a museum should aspire to be.
I've had some very, very fun times in Paris. Don't go during Bastille day/August holiday if you can help it, and your odds of snooty asshatery drop.

British Museum is still a better choice for a trip for someone that's not used to international travel, and it should be on everyone's bucket list anyway.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Went in '19.  Cool holocaust display which I am glad my children saw.  Taking the inlaws this summer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I pass by the Museum daily. I use to go there for school trips every year. Ive watched that place grow over the years. Few random pics from one of my trips.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C.

I like to go at night when they are closed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Pima has to be on the list as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C.

I like to go at night when they are closed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool museums suggestions?

Naval aviation museum in Pensacola is awesome.
So is USS Alabama.

Army aviation museum at Rucker is small, off the beaten path, but a few couple of hours if you read all the stuff.
Likewise, the AMEDD museum at Ft Sam is pretty neat.
Its been years since I saw the SF museum at Bragg, but it was cool in the 80s.
USS Midway is stellar if you are in San Diego
All the stuff in Hawaii is great (Arizona, Missouri, Diamondhead, etc)

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Naval Air Museum is at Pensacola. Highly recommend.  Army Air at Ft Rucker, AL
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm here to learn. How the hell would they get them? Off crashed Italian planes?

I can't imagine they could call up the Italians and put in an order while at war.
View Quote

Sarcasm isn't how you learn  reading is. The Germans captured and employed the guns as did the Austrians  ,  but there are some real good books on the subject of WWI   buy a couple and read them.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#15]
1st tier museums I have been to.

World War I museum in KC.

French multiple military museums at Hotel Invalidles in Paris

Air Force Museum in Dayton

Patton/Armor museum at Fort Knox, unfortunately it is now split.  Patton still at Ft Knox, Armor moved to Ft Benning I think.

Pearl Harbor, museum itself isn't 1st tier, but the place itself is

not 1st tier but you should go

36th Infantry at Camp Mabry TX

45th Infantry in OKC

Texas Rangers Museum in Waco

J.M. Davis Museum in Claremore, OK

Staffard Air and Space in Weatherford, OK

Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, TX

Artillery Museum at Ft Sill

USS Alabama in Mobile, AL

USS Texas, in Houston

Fort DeRussey in Honolulu

On my short list but haven't been

WWII Museum in NO

Wild Bill Museum in Cody

Nimitz Museum in Fredricksburg, TX

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Because we need more photos...randomly chosen from my day there a few years ago
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Was hoping you'd pop in.  The sign on the MM training control room implied MM 1, which I thought was WAY too early to have female crews.

View Quote

That display's kind of a mess.  

The the 44th started as a MMIA/B wing, transitioned to MMII in 1973, then stayed that way until shutdown in 1994.  

The trainer itself is MMII/Ellsworth, but most of the surrounding displays are MMIII/Grand Forks, with a thing or two from MMII/Whiteman. (the three wings that shut down in the 1990s).  And all their information is 20 years old.  

But only a nuclear idiot savant like me would know it, let alone be bothered by it.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Udvar-Hazy annex of the Smithsonian has good stuff... SR-71, some of the lunar missions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Eglin AFB in Ft. Walton Beach Fl. has the Armament Museum. It has grown over the years and has a lot more small arms than you'd think. Has a helluva collection or bombs, rockets, missiles etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Spent seven hours there and didn't even get to the last hanger.  Love the WW I and WW II stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool museums. One that are off the beaten path.

The Cold War museum at Warrenton (Vint Hill), Virginia. Small, crowded and assembled in a WW2 radio shack original to the site. Donations accepted. Also a good winery on property.

The Veterans Memorial Museum in Branson, Missouri. Displays from WW1 thru Afghanistan. More museum than expected. Charge is $20, but helps keep the doors open.

Camp Blanding, Florida. At the front gate to the base, currently used by Fla national guard. Mostly a history of when it was a WW2 training base. With a few military aircraft on display.

Valiant Air Command in Titusville, Fla. An admittance fee, with volunteers that will give you a tour of the aircraft. Then self guided if you want.

South Dakota Air and Space museum in Rapid City. Just off base at Ellsworth AFB. Includes a tour of a decommissioned Minuteman silo on base. There’s also a minuteman museum east of Rapid City near Wall, SD that is part of the National Park Service.

Wall’s Drug Store, SD. Takes up more than a city block. A tourist trap, one of those “gotta stop” places on interstate 90. The interstate thru SD has a similar feel to it that the legendary Route 66 had.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Dont have too much time to type now so Ill just post these
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Loved going to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.  Was in heaven when I found out about their Garber restoration facilities and went on numerous tours there.

Have not been to the Dulles museum yet and still would love to go.  Before it was nice day trip from Philly to stop at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and then head South to DC.  Garber was fantastic and reminded me of that warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Each tour took me into various buildings where planes and parts have been stored as they were for decades.  Some unique planes I wanted to see were their me-163, he-162, ar-234, do-335 and their bf-109d9.  I was able to get up close and personal with their ho-229 and ba-349.  As well as all of their examples of early guided weapons.
Sadly this was all before 9/11 and with Aberdeen and base lock downs of that time the trip lost a lot of it’s luster.  Also before everyone carried a digital everything on them so all my pictures were on film.

Now recently in Arizona I have been to Pima a couple times, the Titan Missile museum and most recently the Commemorative Air Force Museum.

B-17G Sentimental Journey
https://imgur.com/gallery/L9WpfRk

Commemorative Air Force Museum
https://imgur.com/gallery/YGIeobc

More pics and vids in the gallery link above
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#24]
George S. Patton museum

D Day museum in NOLA

Gettysburg (all of it)

West Point museum
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#25]
An off beat air museum is the Texas Air Museum at Stinson Field in San Antonio, Texas.  They used to have an FW-190 on display.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
An off beat air museum is the Texas Air Museum at Stinson Field in San Antonio, Texas.  They used to have an FW-190 on display.
View Quote

Another small one is the Historic Aviation Memorial Museum
in Tyler, TX.

Some AMAZING stuff.  Like, copy 2 of 2 of the Strategic Bombing Survey of Japan.  A bunch of signed photos, like one with both Wright brothers and Glenn Curtiss.  And the story they told me was that a local resident, when he passed, gave them something like 30 footlockers full of photos.  Turned out, he was a photo intel analyst at Pacific Fleet headquarters during WWII; when doing photos for the Admiral, one copy would go into the intel briefing, one copy went into the files, and one copy went into his footlocker.  End result was one of the most complete private collection of WWII photos in the country.  (See:  Elmer Dixon photography collection

Also, at the time, a flyable Mig17 (I think Randy Ball) was home based there.  My two boys and I were admiring it when the pilot came out to take it to an air show in the Carolinas...and asked us to help him push it out.  

We couldn't get the "yes" out fast enough.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Another small one is the Historic Aviation Memorial Museum
in Tyler, TX.

Some AMAZING stuff.  Like, copy 2 of 2 of the Strategic Bombing Survey of Japan.  A bunch of signed photos, like one with both Wright brothers and Glenn Curtiss.  And the story they told me was that a local resident, when he passed, gave them something like 30 footlockers full of photos.  Turned out, he was a photo intel analyst at Pacific Fleet headquarters during WWII; when doing photos for the Admiral, one copy would go into the intel briefing, one copy went into the files, and one copy went into his footlocker.  End result was one of the most complete private collection of WWII photos in the country.  (See:  Elmer Dixon photography collection

Also, at the time, a flyable Mig17 (I think Randy Ball) was home based there.  My two boys and I were admiring it when the pilot came out to take it to an air show in the Carolinas...and asked us to help him push it out.  

We couldn't get the "yes" out fast enough.  
View Quote
Seems like having that in your foot locker, at the time, was sort of a security breach.  Similar, but not as bad as Samuel Morison.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top