Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Can’t pull my boat with a little electric car. I pull a boat approx once every 7-10 days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Need.   And Need 4x4.

I put thousands of miles off pavement, need 500-1200lbs of cargo, and need to not get stuck in the ass end of nowhere.   Have a need to tow now occasionally as well.

I will go days sometimes without taking it out of 4 low.

Even farting around town doing errands, I frequently could not fit my cargo even in an SUV with folding seats, let alone some crossover or car.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Define lifestyle choice.

I have chosen to spend a lot of my time on my ranch.  I have chosen to raise cattle and to have a few horses.  I have chosen to have heavy farm equipment, cattle trailers, horse trailers, hay buggies, flatbed trailers, and various other trailers.  I have choose to have a SxS to work on the ranch, as well as several ATV's.  These are all a direct result of a lifestyle choice.

On the flip side, I also have 2 boats and a travel trailer - those too are both lifestyle choices.

---
At one point in my life, I shared a 12x18 room with my girlfriend.  We could walk pretty much anyplace we needed to.  She did not have a car, many of our friends did not own cars.  I probably only started my car once every week or two - personal vehicles for many are also just a lifestyle choice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a F150 4x4 that I use the shit out of. I do a ton of hunting and gear intensive activities that require the bed space. I also sleep in the bed while camping. It also makes Home Depot runs for house projects so much easier. I've always driven a truck and I'm in no rush to change that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Sierra 1500 4x4, need the capability of a full size, actually use the 4WD occasionally, and I just love driving a truck. Pulling boat/utility trailers and hauling various things most of the time. On average, I'd say the bed sees actual use once a week. Had ~1600 lbs of flooring in the back the other day. No real "off roading" per se, but I can almost guarantee mine has done more "truck stuff" and seen more dirt than any of the new Raptors or Ram Rebels I see running around town that have become a dime a dozen. ETA - To clarify and to the OP's point, there are a bunch of suburban dudes with money around here that only buy those newer trucks for the "cool" factor. Perfectly valid, their money, but not needed. I've noticed the crew cab truck has really become the new do all family vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife used to destroy her car's trunk and interior by putting bags of manure and wet plants in.
Gave her a little SUV with a mud mat and problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Since OP edited his post, I'll speculate.

Perhaps someone wanted to purchase a certain vehicle, but it was only available in 4x4.  Perhaps they purchased it with a certain intent, but then the circumstances changed.  Perhaps they inherited or were gifted the vehicle.  Perhaps it is a business owned vehicle.

To be sure, there are people who want a truck or SUV because of the image, or whatever.

Honestly though the OP still asks if "I" (or you) need your ____.  I think posters are answering for themselves.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Tacoma.  I need it to haul off the trash about every week, and also to carry heavy or dirty things, including fuel cans.

I'm not carrying trash inside a vehicle, and pulling a utility trailer to do that is just stupid, especially with the limited space available at the dump.  I'm also not going to pay for a hauling service, because it would cost more than I would save on fuel, and I would still be out of a way to bring big things home.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive a truck because I use it for work every day, hauling tools and ladders and construction materials. Mrs.Tard drives the nice, newer, economical sedan, and that's what we use for everything that doesn't require my truck. She was an SUV girl for years, but once I got her try this she loved it. "It's so zippy and easy to park, and 30 mpg is cool, too!"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I went from a 99 Jeep Cherokee to a 2018 Silverado.  It was one hell of an upgrade.  I can fit more stuff for road trips and camping and every once in a while I tow the trailers for the Scout troop.  I love being able to just toss crap in the back and go.  The family is more comfortable in it as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well no, I don't need my pickup.  Just like I don't need two horses, or trailers or atv's.  Most people don't need much more than clothing, food, shelter, water and some source of income.  .  Sure makes life more fun having things we enjoy, but don't need though...
View Quote

Pretty much.  I don't need to justify my purchasing decisions to GD.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well no, I don't need my pickup.  Just like I don't need two horses, or trailers or atv's.  Most people don't need much more than clothing, food, shelter, water and some source of income.  .  Sure makes life more fun having things we enjoy, but don't need though...

Easy tiger !

Nobody asking you to !

Just a friendly online chat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Username / Avatar checks out.
View Quote

Yep!
I use my trucks every day OP. I’ve hauled stuff at least three times already today.
I don’t see how people get by without a truck. Where do you put your chainsaw, wood, chains, fertilizer, seed, corn, or any other messy stuff?
Or haul lawnmower, boats, or other stuff back and fourth?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m not hauling show animals in/with a Prius...we use my pickup.

With four kids we really like the space and comfort of our government motors suburban too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#15]
How else am I going to pull my travel trailer,  Snowmobile trailer or car trailer with the Jeep loaded on it ? Cant haul my ATV in the back of a sedan either . What about home improvement needs how would I get those home ? Have them delivered like a SoyBoi would ?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I use mine at work.  I only need it about half the time.  We kept my wife's old explorer and I drive that on the days I don't need a 350 cclb

She has an expedition max because I wanted her in the biggest vehicle we could get.

It can also tow the small boat and is comfortable.

Its hard to tow dumb things like this with an explorer or a focusAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I need my trucks. I guess I don't need them for work. But I have a bunch of trailers, a boat, snowmobiles, Travel Trailer, snowplow. All need 4x4 trucks to haul.

Hell, I even put a CIII receiver on my wife's Chevy Express for the lighter trailers. (has the same suspension as my truck 2500)

For fun I have an C4 Vette and a Harley.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was younger, I had a couple SUVs. Blazer, three Suburbans, didn't NEED really what they were. Also had a couple pickups. Used them as pickups but didnt totally NEED a pickup.

Today however, I have a heavy duty pickup and an SUV and use the living daylights out of them
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you really need over 5 rounds ?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I will never be without a 4x4 truck.  My wife will always have at least an awd vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I need my truck. I actually need to upgrade from my 06 Ram 1500, because it struggles with our RV and it's just getting old. I'm not real excited about it. I mean, I generally love buying new vehicles. But I bought my Challenger a couple of years ago, and now the idea of a new truck is just kind of boring. A TRex would be cool, but I'm pretty sure all that HP doesn't really translate to towing capacity. Lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I probably need the SUV more than the 4 Porsche's......
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I couldn't live without a truck.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

03 F250 crew cab Super Duty ,7.3 diesel ,4x4, manual 6 speed ,8’bed . Pushing 320,000.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL I aspire to "tacticool".  But how cool can you make a fucking piece of shit T4R?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#27]
My Ranger is my work/daily driver and I'm not concerned about door dings.  The F150 SuperCrew is the family vacation vehicle.  I also use it for camping and that type of stuff.  The cap on the back makes for great weatherproof storage.

(I know, caps are ugly as shit on a pickup but it's very useful for our needs.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Need is such an absolute word. Humans survived millenia without pick up trucks. Back when I was knee high to a grasshopper the word need applied to 3 things. Food, water and shelter.
As most here already know the word need has been tortured into a shadow of reality.
I need cable
I need internet service
I need a new car
News flash. No you do not.

Thank you for attending my boomer rant. You can go back to bitching about your first world problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Need is such an absolute word. Humans survived millenia without pick up trucks. Back when I was knee high to a grasshopper the word need applied to 3 things. Food, water and shelter.
As most here already know the word need has been tortured into a shadow of reality.
I need cable
I need internet service
I need a new car

Thank you for attending my boomer rant. You can go back to bitching about your first world problems.
View Quote

A team of horses might pull my boat, but it’d be damned slow, plus you gotta feed ‘em.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#31]
4 runner owner here..

Need.

The need arises from the fact that in winter my driveway is impassable to ordinary vehicles and 4WD is pretty much required to get out even if it's plowed.  A 2WD vehicle will get stuck.
Also, high ground clearance also makes it so that I don't really need to plow unless we get over 5-6 inches.

Secondary needs are basically for hauling camping gear and music gear around as well as the dog.

Also, I am just not comfortable in regular cars.  They sit far too low to the ground for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Livestock, off-road camping and hunting, construction projects.

None of that is going in the fiancées hyundai.

I’m keeping my truck.

Could probably transition to a sprinter style van, but I don’t want to
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Does OP need an AR15 or is it a lifestyle choice?

This is America, at least for the next few days.  Need has nothing to do with it.

There are only two limiting factors on what I drive - can I afford it and does it have enough ground clearance to make it down my driveway.  Again, need does not enter into it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I drive a pickup because I like them, I worked for the money to pay for it, I can afford the gas.  I can carry a bag of Cheetos or a ton of wet dogshit in the bed if I want.  
Fuck your, and anyone elses, opinion of whether I "need" one or not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#35]
My truck is hooked up to a trailer and I drive a car throughout the summer.  

I do not drive around a 3/4 ton truck to pull my camper on weekends.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My wife has a lovely new F150.

I have an old 2003 V8 sedan.

If we NEED the truck, we take it. But if the sedan will suffice I will take that. Partially as its "my" vehicle, partially because I love old V8 sedans, partially because she is untidy and "her" vehicle reflects that ( my vehicle is immaculate and everything is stowed neatly )

Seems to me a lot of people who only have ONE vehicle, choose to buy a SUV or truck when they have no need of it ( load bed will never get used for anything that would not have fitted in trunk or 4x4 will never go off road )

So it must be a lifestyle choice ? Dont get me wrong - land of the free and all that - do whatever floats your boat. Lifestyle choice IS a valid reason.

Just curious how many of you have trucks / SUVs for the looks rather NEEDING their features ?

EDIT

Perhaps lifestyle choice was a poorly chosen phrase.

People who actually USE their SUV / trucks features are not who I am referring to.

I am referring to those who choose 4x4 but never venture off road / in snowbound roads.

Or choose a truck but never carry more than grocery shopping.

They do it for the looks / image or whatever ?

Like a vehicle version of tacticool ? Like the guy who accesorises his AR with stuff he will never need nor use.
View Quote

now WTF do you have against anime girl handguard charms??!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife has a lovely new F150.

I have an old 2003 V8 sedan.

If we NEED the truck, we take it. But if the sedan will suffice I will take that. Partially as its "my" vehicle, partially because I love old V8 sedans, partially because she is untidy and "her" vehicle reflects that ( my vehicle is immaculate and everything is stowed neatly )

Seems to me a lot of people who only have ONE vehicle, choose to buy a SUV or truck when they have no need of it ( load bed will never get used for anything that would not have fitted in trunk or 4x4 will never go off road )

So it must be a lifestyle choice ? Dont get me wrong - land of the free and all that - do whatever floats your boat. Lifestyle choice IS a valid reason.

Just curious how many of you have trucks / SUVs for the looks rather NEEDING their features ?

EDIT

Perhaps lifestyle choice was a poorly chosen phrase.

People who actually USE their SUV / trucks features are not who I am referring to.

I am referring to those who choose 4x4 but never venture off road / in snowbound roads.

Or choose a truck but never carry more than grocery shopping.

They do it for the looks / image or whatever ?

Like a vehicle version of tacticool ? Like the guy who accesorises his AR with stuff he will never need nor use.

They're gayer than 5 men fucking 2 men.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#38]
My vehicle isn't a llifestyle choice, my lifestyle is a I need a truck choice.  Fishing, hunting and camping facilitates those life choices.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Rarely do I need a truck, so I don’t have one currently.

I’d like to have another one eventually, but I can get by without one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Absolutely. I work on my house, landscape exterior, hunt, and fish. I need a truck. I had Jeep Rubicon's for 7 years (2 & 4 door) and they just don't cut it. They were fun hunting and off-roading, or taking the top off, but worthless for home maintenance and such.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Having a truck is like having 4 wheel drive.

You don't need it a lot, but when you need it you really need it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I need my Silverado to haul things and pull my trailer. I drive a beater Volvo wagon to work and hockey.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#43]
If I could rent a truck as needed without driving 60 miles round trip to the nearest place that (may) have one to rent, I would be happy with a fuel efficient sedan.

But I can never, ever, find a truck to rent or borrow when I need one. So now I drive one, and I always have a truck when I need one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#44]
for at least 87% of mericans the truck/SUV is a choice.

honda civic/honda accord would be fine for nearly all mericans (assuming they could fit in one).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a 2003 Ford Ranger FX4 and a 2016 F150 XLT SCREW 6.5' 4x4. I dont think I could make it to work in the winter without 4x4. I haul quite a few freebies from work home, 4x8 panels among them. Nice fringe benefit.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I need my Silverado to haul things and pull my trailer. I drive a beater Volvo wagon to work and hockey.
View Quote

pics of beater volvo wagon?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Going to Lowes tomorrow to get a door/door frame for the new bathroom closet, a sheet of sheetrock, some 2X4s to frame up the door, some wood to make some shelves in that closet.

That stuff would not fit in the back of the 435iX or the Outlander.  But it will slide in, lay down and allow me to close the tailgate and camper shell hatch on the PU.

Also, took that rusty ass PU home for a visit to WV this weekend.  No way I'm driving one of the cars or the Expedition up there in that damn salt and shit and rusting that out, too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I guess for me it is a lifestyle but that lifestyle is camping.  99% of the time I drive my 2500 is towing our 34 ft camper, followed by snow, or if my main car is in the shop.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I need cable
I need internet service
I need a new car

View Quote

Humans didn't survive millenia with property taxes hanging over their heads.

If you don't want to be a bum, you have to pull in cash to pay taxes.  For most people that requires a vehicle some way or another if you don't want to be a peon living in a hive, riding the bus.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I no longer 'need' a truck but it's paid for.

I was looking to trade it in for a newer Ford Explorer but current market
conditions have nixed that idea.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top