Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I got stopped for a Level 1 DOT inspection yesterday, but I didn’t tell the trooper about my pistol. TN does not require notification but my CDL is linked to my HCP, so he knew I was most likely armed. If he didn’t that way, he sure got a look at my Walther when my jacket rode up over the grip when I climbed down from the cab.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever watch LivePD?

"You're not under arrest, you're just being detained while I make sure this isn't stolen OK?"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually tell them I have a CCL and a firearm even though my state does not require me too. They usually ask for my CCL and say thank you. Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I did last year at the peak of the cop hate and uncertainty before the election.

I was doing 76 in a 45 and knew he clocked me. I was pulled over in a parking lot before he even got out into traffic and behind me. Lol. I know I was wrong and ain't gonna bullshit him. In our initial conversation I told him I was speeding in a 55 and I knew it.

He said it was a 45 zone.....

I honestly did think it was a 55, but joked and told him if I had known it was a 45 he would have clocked me at 66 instead, still guilty. He chuckled a tiny bit.

I hand over my carry permit with my license. Its no big deal when the encounter between us is triggered by my wrongdoing. He said he appreciated it and wrote me a ticket for 50 in a 45, no points on my record and $160.....

It always gets me out of ticket trouble. Three times in the last 11 years.

I figure they know anyways as they run your plate when first pulled over.

Now if I'm just doing other stuff or they approach me at an event then no. If it gets far enough for a cop to need to know I'm armed then SHTF.

Also, I had just started dating a tall hot brunette that had a super high sex drive, long legs and she called me over to her house horny as fuck that evening so don't flame me 76 in the 45.....it was worth it!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I do. No reason not to....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Ohio use to but they fixed that stupid gotcha clause
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I get real nervous acting, to the point of sweating, and ask him to please not look in the trunk.

It takes his curiosity away from firearms.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Some of you people get pulled over a lot...

No duty to inform here so I’m not volunteering info. No duty to informed if asked either, I think I would tell them if asked though.

Copy pasta from us concealed carry.com

Must-Notify States
Alaska
Arkansas
California — Although there is no state law, some counties are including a must-notify restriction on permits.
Washington, D.C.
Hawaii
Louisiana
Maine — If carrying without a permit. However, not if you are carrying with a permit.
Michigan
Nebraska
North Carolina
North Dakota — If a North Dakota resident constitutionally carrying without a permit. However, not if you are carrying with a permit.
Ohio
South Carolina
Texas

Notify-When-Asked States
Arizona
Florida
Illinois
Kentucky
Minnesota
Missouri
New York
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, my state requires me to
View Quote

According to link I just posted, TN only requires if asked. @amos1909
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I just hand them both my CHL and DL they can figure the rest out, never had an issue.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#12]
If I'm not legally obligated to inform, I'm not going to... unless the cop orders me out of the vehicle. Then, I would tell him I'm armed before I got out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah
first time i notified i ended up with a pistol in my face and a angry deputy sheriff asking me why i need to have a gun in my pocket

called the sheriff to complain and was told "I" must have been doing something wrong
i vowed to never notify again

but as a first responder i have since learned i was probably just unlucky to catch an asshole on a bad night
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Everytime
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#15]
No I don’t talk to cops.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some of you people get pulled over a lot...

No duty to inform here so I’m not volunteering info. No duty to informed if asked either, I think I would tell them if asked though.

Copy pasta from us concealed carry.com

Must-Notify States
Alaska
Arkansas
California — Although there is no state law, some counties are including a must-notify restriction on permits.
Washington, D.C.
Hawaii
Louisiana
Maine — If carrying without a permit. However, not if you are carrying with a permit.
Michigan
Nebraska
North Carolina
North Dakota — If a North Dakota resident constitutionally carrying without a permit. However, not if you are carrying with a permit.
Ohio
South Carolina
Texas

Notify-When-Asked States
Arizona
Florida
Illinois
Kentucky
Minnesota
Missouri
New York
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming
View Quote

Creating Joinder with The Man is just a part of my job, not something I can avoid. Roadside inspections can/do happen anywhere/any time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#17]
The only time I did was because my pistol was next to my wallet in the bag next to me. Otherwise no unless asked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]
No requirement to inform in my State but a few years ago, I was pulled over for an HOV violation (I’m a BAD MAN). I turned off the ignition, opened the Driver’s side window and kept my hands visible on the steering wheel. Cop approached and asked for my License and registration. I replied, “no problem but I want to let you know that I have a valid concealed carry permit and I am carrying today. He asked if I needed to touch my gun to retrieve my L&R. I replied no and he just said something like don’t touch yours and I won’t touch mine. He ran my information, came back and gave me a warning since it was my first time getting caught violating HOV. Very professional. Not friendly but not particularly unfriendly either.

A cop friend once told me the last thing you want to do is mention the word “GUN” during a traffic stop. He said stick to words like “I possess a carry permit and I am lawfully carrying”. They know what that means. I have heard that advice repeated here too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Let me ask this question. If you were stopped and and you give your drivers license to the officer would you show him your old commission from when you were a Sheriff's Deputy for 12 years to get out of getting a ticket?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]
When I get pulled over, my only goal is to not get a ticket.  Best way to do that is reduce the officer's fear and stroke their ego.  I tell the officer I have a CPL and whether or not I am armed.  This let's them know I am a "good guy," which reduces their fear.

I also don't have my stuff ready.  This way I'm...

1) Not increasing their fear because I'm rummaging around for my stuff before they approach (they think I'm hiding drugs or grabbing or hiding a gun)

2) Showing that I'm not a "frequent flyer"

3) giving myself extra time to speak with them, again, trying to persuade them to let me go with only a warning

For the 5 minute interaction, I don't care about "muh rights," but I do care about my insurance premiums.  It's a game, and I play it to win.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Sad to see so many people taking a knee.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I did last year at the peak of the cop hate and uncertainty before the election.

I was doing 76 in a 45 and knew he clocked me. I was pulled over in a parking lot before he even got out into traffic and behind me. Lol. I know I was wrong and ain't gonna bullshit him. In our initial conversation I told him I was speeding in a 55 and I knew it.

He said it was a 45 zone.....

I honestly did think it was a 55, but joked and told him if I had known it was a 45 he would have clocked me at 66 instead, still guilty. He chuckled a tiny bit.

I hand over my carry permit with my license. Its no big deal when the encounter between us is triggered by my wrongdoing. He said he appreciated it and wrote me a ticket for 50 in a 45, no points on my record and $160.....

It always gets me out of ticket trouble. Three times in the last 11 years.

I figure they know anyways as they run your plate when first pulled over.

Now if I'm just doing other stuff or they approach me at an event then no. If it gets far enough for a cop to need to know I'm armed then SHTF.

Also, I had just started dating a tall hot brunette that had a super high sex drive, long legs and she called me over to her house horny as fuck that evening so don't flame me 76 in the 45.....it was worth it!!!!!
View Quote

Honest and friendly has always got me out of tickets or big brakes given.

License and CCW permit in hand, window down, hands on the wheel, before they come up. Hand them license and CCW permit.
If registration is asked for, which has only been one time. "It is in my glove compartment, may I retrieve it?" Extending that open acknowledgment of knowing their fear of someone reaching for something seems to calm even a pissed officer down.
Had a cop pissed as hell I was doing 73 in a 50.
I did the above and responded "not paying attention, no excuse" when he asked why I was going to fast.
He calmed way down, checked me for warrants and sent me on my way with a verbal "keep the speed down".

I have no doubt if I had even slightly been an asshole I would have had a big ticket.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Texas - IF I'm carrying when LEO asks for ID I must show him my handgun license; presumably he'll then ask if I'm armed.

Sec. 411.205.  REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.  If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.  Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.17(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Amended by:

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146 (H.B. 2730), Sec. 12A.02, eff. September 1, 2009.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's how you keep your permit in some states.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I hand over my CWP over with my drivers license.  Thus informing him without saying something like “I got a gun”.

Multiple deputy and and police friends. All say they prefer and appreciate it because If a guy has a permit they quit worrying if they’re going to get shot.    Everyone in Montana has a gun, if you got a CWP you aren’t going to be causing trouble.

Might depend out of state.  I’d probably do it just in case I’m not up to date on state laws.

Lol, here in Montana no one has said anything other than asking what I’m packing :D
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Sadly, I got a VA permit when I went to renew my out of state UT permit. VA wanted its money.  While I don't have to declare anything, LE know based on my DMV record/plate.  They have never asked me or any family members when pulled over.  Although it's probably because our Sheriff is pro-2A.

Edit- VA is changing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#28]
In Ohio we have to but I probably would anyways.  I'd rather he found out from me and not when I popped open the glove box to grab my registration.  He most likely already knows anyways.

ETA The law recently changed so that we don't have to notify unless asked but I've never been pulled over and not been asked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#29]
My license and CC permit are together in the same slot.  I hand over both.

How can it be a bad thing that a cop knows you passed a background check at some point?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I had my permit for all of a month and a half and I got pulled over for my tail light being out. Like upstanding citizen man I informed the officer that I had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon and I was armed, in that order. He ordered me out of the car, disarmed me, handcuffed me and sat me down on the side of the road while he ran my info. This was for a tail light being out. Anyway, I won’t ever inform unless it will definitely come up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep, and I've found this gets you a better chance at getting a warning rather than a ticket.
View Quote

That's what happened to me. Cop was chill about it, "You don't touch your, I won't touch mine." Pistol is on my right hip just above the pocket with my wallet, so reaching for DL is pretty close. (AZ driver's ed says wait until officer comes up to get documents as they don't like seeing busy people.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#32]
No. They've never asked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Everytime
View Quote

The last time I got pulled over I was doing 81-82 in a 70 zone.  Cop nails me, pulls me over.  I tell him before anything I have a ccw permit and a gun.  He asks me to get out, and I think well this is weird.  He has me unholster it and set it on my hood, he then takes it and unloads it.  The he has me go back to sit in his car with him, I'm starting to get kind of worried here.  We sit in his car and I see he has me at 81 mph.  So he calls in my license-all clear, then the mother fucker calls in my gun to make sure it isn't stolen-all clear.  

I'm kind of getting pissed at this point, especially since I KNOW I am going to get a ticket.  He hands me back my gun and says I'm giving you a warning today-slow it down.

I couldn't believe it, after all that shit no ticket.

So I always tell them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Been pulled over by a local cop. The police officer was a gun guy, complimented me on my choice of firearm (Glock), let me go with a warning.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?  First I've heard of that, unless I've forgotten it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I have never informed. Not their business.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is he in Tennessee? If so, TN has no requirement to inform. It may be a good idea but it’s not required, and entirely up to the individual.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The last time I got pulled over I was doing 81-82 in a 70 zone.  Cop nails me, pulls me over.  I tell him before anything I have a ccw permit and a gun.  He asks me to get out, and I think well this is weird.  He has me unholster it and set it on my hood, he then takes it and unloads it.  The he has me go back to sit in his car with him, I'm starting to get kind of worried here.  We sit in his car and I see he has me at 81 mph.  So he calls in my license-all clear, then the mother fucker calls in my gun to make sure it isn't stolen-all clear.  

I'm kind of getting pissed at this point, especially since I KNOW I am going to get a ticket.  He hands me back my gun and says I'm giving you a warning today-slow it down.

I couldn't believe it, after all that shit no ticket.

So I always tell them.
View Quote

I wonder what he would have done if you were carrying one of these?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Never been pulled over.
View Quote

This.....never invite the man into your life.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Not required, but I do. I want the officer to be at ease. They know anyway.

Then again, that may change. I see how the hiring standards have been lowered.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Texas State had (I assume still does) my CHL linked to my DL; you had to hand both the LEO if pulled over, even if you weren't carrying.  I say that last piece, because I got my ass chewed by a cop for not carrying...I had to inform him I was running into work (military base).  
View Quote

Same, except I was going out to dinner and figured I might have a few adult beverages. Garland cop all but called me a bitch for not having my pistol on me. Didn't give ltc because not carrying at the time, runs dl and comes back asking if there are weapons in the truck.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If I get pulled over, it's required.

I figure the best way to tell the officer would be to start out with "listen, motherfucker..."
View Quote

Ya gotta have a Marlboro dangling from your lips to get the full effect  

I'll fess up if they ask but don't automatically tell 'em.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#43]
i always yell out.. " stay back, iv got a gun !
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#44]
TLDR : Black man no tell officer he carrying!!!!!!

NO...I’m black...some cops have this thing where when the pull over certain colored people that they “fear for their lives” and you know how it sometimes goes...so no I don’t tell them anything...I’m not a criminal...I don’t shoot cops or anybody...so the police have no reason to fear me.

I have had police pull their guns on me on one occasion in my life and it was at their instructions for me to reach for my wallet in the glove compartment....AFTER I SPECIFICALLY TOLD THEM WHERE IT WAS AND ASKED IF I COULD REACH FOR IT...

So....no I’m not going to tell an officer I have a gun...Officer Safety?? What about my safety??? In my state and neighboring state your CCP is “attached” to your license plate....when it’s ran dispatch informs the officer that the subject has a CCW permit...I know this for fact because my current employ has STARS radios in our trucks..I have been stopped and I have always had my CCW on me but I have never been asked about it by any officer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had moved from a state that requires it to one that doesn't.  I couldn't remember if I had to or not so I did anyway.  The cop was really cool about it, even said "oh you don't have to do that.  I wish more people carried."  We chatted a bit and he let me off with a warning.
View Quote

That’s pretty solid.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
i always yell out.. " stay back, iv got a gun !
View Quote

Or just say "I have my Bug in my pocket"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Got pulled over with a truck bed full of guns in front a friends house headed to the range. Cop said his second chair was a rookie so just play nice. Sure guy, I wasn’t in the mood for a shootout over an expired inspection today.  And I’d have to get out, unzip the cases and load them first, so be patient.

Once got pulled and they saw it on my DL record. Cop asked me as he was leaving if I forgot to inform him. I said no, I’m not carrying. All he got was an expired tag ticket that day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I have actually never been pulled over while carrying.

NH doesn't require you to tell them anyways so I wouldn't unless it got to the point I was told to exit the vehicle or something.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Probably naive but I tell regardless. Figure the cops deal with so many shitheads, no reason not to be a little accommodating, especially if it makes them more inclined to go easy on me for whatever traffic violation occurred.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes, it's currently a requirement under Ohio law.  Hopefully this will be changing soon...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top