BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handguns and “assault rifles” account for nearly all gun deaths world wide. Does that logic follow.

The death was tragic. The breed can have issues. I’m not denying that. Saying anyone who owns one is trash is ignorant and inflammatory.

Do we call for gun buy backs when a kid accidentally shoots himself or a friend with dads revolver? Guns have to be stored properly, kids have to be taught, owners have to be responsible.

I’m not trying to kick the hornets nest but the rhetoric here is tantamount to how the left generalizes gun owners and certain types of guns/ammo. IE Substitute extremist for trash. I’m surprised is all.

View Quote

Are you really trying to compare an inanimate object controlled by a person to a pit bull? Really?  That’s retarded.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...Pit Bulldogs are aggressive animals...
...they normally don't attack unprovoked.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love pits and am a constant defender in the bashing threads. Owned an amstaff for 15.5 years and loved her to death. Fostering an unknown abandoned pit bull with kids in the house is fucking retarded. It does come down to responsible owners. In this case the original owner isn’t known and with a dog like this that’s a big X factor you don’t want to risk.
View Quote

If it came down to responsible owners, wouldn't the rate of attacks be roughly evenly distributed among all the breeds?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The statistical probability of a pit bull breed attack is still remarkably low....you being such a sharp witted lover of mathematics surely knows that. But heck if we're aiming for zero attacks I agree! We also need to ban rottweilers, german Shepards and huskies to name a few.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall, females are shorter than males. That doesn't mean that female = short or that there are NO tall women.  But it does mean that there is a much much higher chance of a female being shorter than a male.

Nobody should be surprised when statistical probability turns out to be correct again and again. Like clock work. Try not to be offended by people observing, observable facts.

The statistical probability of a pit bull breed attack is still remarkably low....you being such a sharp witted lover of mathematics surely knows that. But heck if we're aiming for zero attacks I agree! We also need to ban rottweilers, german Shepards and huskies to name a few.

Yes, low probability overall. But when there is a human life taken by an animal, there is a solid chance it was by a pit.

Just pointing out basic concepts for those unable to make the connections due to emotions, or other mental blockages shouldn't be considered an attack. Uncomfortable truth and all that. I had to go through it myself, not with dogs but bigger worse things.

Also who said anything about banning anything? I understand the dangers of dangerous things. Doesn't, mean I want them banned. Holy hell. Hopefully your go to response for everything dangerous isn't to have it banned or get the government involved..

Private ownership of items whether dangerous or not is the right of every free man. Calling for the state to infringe on that right is absolutely wrong.  I like the analogy of hand grenades. It's your legitimate right to own and possess them. But let's not ignore the dangers of leaving them around children or the elderly while unattended.. treat them as grenades, designed for a purpose. Not inert paper weights or loving pets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
“Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982,” a 2014 TIME magazine article said

View Quote

52% of fatal deaths since 82......

Pit bulls have become much more popular since about 1990....   So if you were to look at fatal attack numbers since say, 2002, that percentage is much higher.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
inb4 inanimate object herp derp

pitbulls don't come out of the woods and eat kids, every single instance of a pitbull harming a human I have ever seen posted on this site is the direct result of another human's bad decision.
View Quote
Yes they do.

https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/https-www-classiccitynews-com-post-damage-to-winder-girl-mauled-by-pit-bulls-worse-than-expected
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If it came down to responsible owners, wouldn't the rate of attacks be roughly evenly distributed among all the breeds?
View Quote

No. Because responsible ownership means the owner acknowledges what they own, the instincts and tendencies that go along with what they own, and accounts for those instincts and behavioral tendencies in training and handling.

If an owner is not doing that, then they aren’t a responsible owner. For instance, I have an Anatolian Shepherd puppy. Part of owning an Anatolian Shepherd is understanding that they aren’t going to be super friendly with everyone they meet. That they can and usually will be dog aggressive. That they are territorial and protective. That means taking special precautions when training them and when taking them off property and around strangers. I am muzzle training him so that when I take an adult 140 lb dog who isn’t keen on strangers to the vet, no one there needs to worry about getting bitten, nor do I have to worry about him attacking someone else’s dog. I also don’t just let strangers roll up and start playing with him, but rather make sure they give him the time and space to warm up to them. Failure on my part doesn’t mean that he’s a bad dog, or that the breed is bad. It means I was an irresponsible owner.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#8]
She handled a stray pit bull showing up to her family’s home poorly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Handguns and “assault rifles” account for nearly all gun deaths world wide. Does that logic follow.

The death was tragic. The breed can have issues. I’m not denying that. Saying anyone who owns one is trash is ignorant and inflammatory.

Do we call for gun buy backs when a kid accidentally shoots himself or a friend with dads revolver? Guns have to be stored properly, kids have to be taught, owners have to be responsible.

I’m not trying to kick the hornets nest but the rhetoric here is tantamount to how the left generalizes gun owners and certain types of guns/ammo. IE Substitute extremist for trash. I’m surprised is all.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

"assault rifles" are  rarely ever involved in homicides.

Your confused logic may stem from your inability to distinguish between animate and inanimate objects.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982,” a 2014 TIME magazine article said.

Hmmm, Where have I seen a similar statistic?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So you're telling me they are a minority that is responsible for a majority of homicides, a disproportionate amount?
View Quote

LOL

Those numbers sure sound familiar.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you really trying to compare an inanimate object controlled by a person to a pit bull? Really?  That’s retarded.
View Quote

Are police dogs a tool of their handler or allowed to operate freely? I’d argue they are a tool the same as the officers sidearm.

Breeds have genetic drives that can be harnessed, suppressed and controlled and each animal will exhibit more or less of the stereotypical breed characteristics. In my original post I acknowledged pit bulls can have issues. I do think they can be good dogs too. Along with chows, Akita’s, Dobies, Rotties and a whole list of other. Labs they are not.

Guns shouldn’t face more regulation but dogs should? The government can’t take my AR15 but they should round up and kill all pit bulls?

Owning a pit Bull doesn’t make you trash. As with anything it is a choice. And not one that government or others should be making for other people.

Dog owners better know what they can handle and what they have on hand and act accordingly. I’m not a humane society nut who thinks all dogs deserve a chance. Bad dogs need to be put down. Unwanted dogs are a burden on society. Advocating breed extermination or calling me retarded trash for owning a pit Bull is a pretty hard stance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What the fuck.

Every one of those dogs, including the sire and bitch should be put down. End the bloodline. Its broken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What the fuck.

Every one of those dogs, including the sire and bitch should be put down. End the bloodline. Its broken.

I would agree.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For a forum full of self described manly men you guys sure are cowards lol. Need muh ccw in case a dog gets too close....what are you, a cop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pitbull breed should be made extinct.

Pretend all cars were self-driving.

Now imagine that one specific model that accounted for 6% of all models on the road, was responsible for 82% of deaths because THE FUCKING CAR WOULD PURPOSELY ATTEMPT TO KILL ITS PASSENGERS...

Do you think we would still but that model?

At this point in my life, given where I live, I feel like I am going to be more likely to need to use my CCW to defend myself/others from this shit-breed than from any meth tweaker.

For a forum full of self described manly men you guys sure are cowards lol. Need muh ccw in case a dog gets too close....what are you, a cop?

When I see a pit walking down the street I mentally prepare. I never relax around them. Not kidding.

Are you trying to insult people for being armed? Lol I'm starting to see a pattern here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayers for the child .

What a horrible  way to die .

gd
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Parent should be charged.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are police dogs a tool of their handler or allowed to operate freely? I’d argue they are a tool the same as the officers sidearm.

Breeds have genetic drives that can be harnessed, suppressed and controlled and each animal will exhibit more or less of the stereotypical breed characteristics. In my original post I acknowledged pit bulls can have issues. I do think they can be good dogs too. Along with chows, Akita’s, Dobies, Rotties and a whole list of other. Labs they are not.

Guns shouldn’t face more regulation but dogs should? The government can’t take my AR15 but they should round up and kill all pit bulls?

Owning a pit Bull doesn’t make you trash. As with anything it is a choice. And not one that government or others should be making for other people.

Dog owners better know what they can handle and what they have on hand and act accordingly. I’m not a humane society nut who thinks all dogs deserve a chance. Bad dogs need to be put down. Unwanted dogs are a burden on society. Advocating breed extermination or calling me retarded trash for owning a pit Bull is a pretty hard stance.
View Quote

Who is saying this? I missed it. Private ownership of both should not be infringed on by the state.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No. Because responsible ownership means the owner acknowledges what they own, the instincts and tendencies that go along with what they own, and accounts for those instincts and behavioral tendencies in training and handling.

If an owner is not doing that, then they aren’t a responsible owner. For instance, I have an Anatolian Shepherd puppy. Part of owning an Anatolian Shepherd is understanding that they aren’t going to be super friendly with everyone they meet. That they can and usually will be dog aggressive. That they are territorial and protective. That means taking special precautions when training them and when taking them off property and around strangers. I am muzzle training him so that when I take an adult 140 lb dog who isn’t keen on strangers to the vet, no one there needs to worry about getting bitten, nor do I have to worry about him attacking someone else’s dog. I also don’t just let strangers roll up and start playing with him, but rather make sure they give him the time and space to warm up to them. Failure on my part doesn’t mean that he’s a bad dog, or that the breed is bad. It means I was an irresponsible owner.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pitbulls don't come out of the woods and eat kids, every single instance of a pitbull harming a human I have ever seen posted on this site is the direct result of another human's bad decision.
Yes they do.

https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/https-www-classiccitynews-com-post-damage-to-winder-girl-mauled-by-pit-bulls-worse-than-expected
Did you even read it? lol

The deputy shot one of the dogs, at which time both ran back to the owner's house where they were later captured and subsequently euthanized.

Translation: Not wild dogs out of the woods.  Some idiot left the gate open or let them out on purpose.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they're responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982," a 2014 TIME magazine article said.

However, pit bull supporters feel the dogs are judged unfairly by society.

View Quote

Sort of how BLM feel that the black male community is judged unfairly, really.

And, in my favorite bit of the magnetism of poor decisions, guess who loves 'em some pit bulls? Other than heavily tatted women with daddy issues?

Ban apologists, for the children.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol I think I've seen those numbers before... too bad ar15.woke is too politically correct for us to discuss this.
View Quote

Let me guess, the media is hiding and under-reporting the hundreds killed every year by dachsunds?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]
There was an arfcom member whose daughter almost suffered the same fate under similar circumstances.

Dogs can be cute, friendly and still try to kill you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now you have moved the goal posts to trained police dogs.  You have taken stupid to a new level.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
“Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982,” a 2014 TIME magazine article said

View Quote

TIME magazine
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shitty dogs and shitty parents. That kid deserved better
View Quote

THIS

Sick of "oh I have one and.." people

Morons
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#27]
87% to 97% of Pitbull owners demonstrate they make poor life choices by letting that breed into their house.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ETA Anyone have that bingo card?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA Anyone have that bingo card?

That's the go-to move when the "it's the owner" line doesn't work.  

Tell you what, if my AR-15 ever snaps and shoots my kid for no reason, I will personally apologize to all of the pit bull apologists here on Arf and adopt the next BoP that shows up at the local rescue.  I'll even sell all of my EBRs and donate the proceeds to a pit bull organization of their choice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Now you have moved the goal posts to trained police dogs.  You have taken stupid to a new level.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m no less responsible for the actions of my dog than a police officer is for his. Same with the firearm I carry.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’m no less responsible for the actions of my dog than a police officer is for his. Same with the firearm I carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Consider how many police officers have guns.  Contrast that to the number of police officers that have K-9s.  Did you ever stop to consider why giving police officers a gun is a no-brainer but giving them a dog is not?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Good God. Is that real or one of those fw:fw:fw:fw: things?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

which is why many people wont have a pitbull as a pet. when they go bad, it usually ends HORRIFICALLY. as they are very powerful dogs.

according to arfcoms pitbull lovers.. pitbulls are always tempered like a beagle. probably JUST a misunderstanding.    she should give the dog the benefit of the doubt and keep it and have another baby. probably work out great as a family pet the second time around.

seriously though.. fuck pitbulls.

this is terrible and tragic though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“I was an advocate supporter for pit bull… and what happened today happened so fast there was nothing anyone could do,” the mother said between tears.

which is why many people wont have a pitbull as a pet. when they go bad, it usually ends HORRIFICALLY. as they are very powerful dogs.

according to arfcoms pitbull lovers.. pitbulls are always tempered like a beagle. probably JUST a misunderstanding.    she should give the dog the benefit of the doubt and keep it and have another baby. probably work out great as a family pet the second time around.

seriously though.. fuck pitbulls.

this is terrible and tragic though.

I don't own a pitbull, nor would I own one.

However, there are 3-5 million pitbulls in the United States.

In 2019, there were 33 fatal attacks where pit bulls or mixes were responsible.

So, in a given year, you or a family member have about a 0.00011% chance of dying from a pitbull attack assuming you own one.  It's even lower if you don't.

You have a much greater chance of dying from covid or the flu in any given year.

Just putting the risks in perspective.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Interesting.
View Quote

Yes, the ratio is oddly familiar...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The deputy shot one of the dogs, at which time both ran back to the owner's house where they were later captured and subsequently euthanized.

Translation: Not wild dogs out of the woods.  Some idiot left the gate open or let them out on purpose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they do.

You said nothing about "wild" dogs.

The girl was walking in her neighborhood and two pitbulls chased her down and mauled her almost to death.

When you said "bad decision" I assumed you meant on the part of the person attacked.

Yes, the owners are idiots in almost all cases.  I bet 99.9% of dog owners have had their dogs get out though.  Owning a dog that will maul the closest child when, not if, it gets out is fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck pbts.....trash dogs
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good God. Is that real or one of those fw:fw:fw:fw: things?
View Quote

I've seen the same thing happen with a cat I had as a child. I remember using a straightened out wire coat hanger to reach the heads of newborn kittens out from behind a washing machine after the mother had eaten them. I assume they died and the mother just recycled the kittens. That may have been what happened with these pups.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#39]
She was an advocate supporter of pit bulls.

Too bad someone wasn’t an advocate supporter of her child.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
“Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982,” a 2014 TIME magazine article said.

View Quote

PBLM
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's just some kind of crazy magic luck that all the bad owners own the same breed of lovable fur muffin. And, by a mechanism no one can really explain, 100% of Basset Hound owners are superb because mauling and death statistics on that breed are practically zero.

Crazy, huh?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#44]
All I’m saying is I own a Greyhound and this dog couldn’t hurt a butterfly if it landed in its mouth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't own a pitbull, nor would I own one.

However, there are 3-5 million pitbulls in the United States.

In 2019, there were 33 fatal attacks where pit bulls or mixes were responsible.

So, in a given year, you or a family member have about a 0.00011% chance of dying from a pitbull attack assuming you own one.  It's even lower if you don't.

You have a much greater chance of dying from covid or the flu in any given year.

Just putting the risks in perspective.

View Quote

I detest pits, avoid them when and where I can, and generally associate with no one who owns one or wants one.

But THREE fucking times in the last 10 years, I've either been directly involved in or witnessed a pit attack, one of those on my girlfriend and I while walking our dog.

Another was an attack on a dog in a park that resulted in the dog's death...while their family looked on in horror. I had to shoot one in the street just down my block when it clamped onto my dog and was probably seconds from ending its life, and another circled my GF and her dog.

No one was mauled or killed in my life (human, anyway), but when I read your statistics I can't help but think that the scope of the problem can be rationalized away if you frame it right....but look up the available dogs in any humane society or pound in this nation, and pay close attention to what makes up 80-90% of the dogs. And, knowing that, it likely correlates to how I have had so many run ins with this shit breed and its garbage brigade of owners.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's just some kind of crazy magic luck that all the bad owners own the same breed of lovable fur muffin. And, by a mechanism no one can really explain, 100% of Basset Hound owners are superb because mauling and death statistics on that breed are practically zero.

Crazy, huh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crazy, huh?

Or...or...maybe it’s a combination of “adopt don’t shop” nonsense, complete lack of knowledge about breeds and responsible breeding, savior complex, lack of gate keeping when it comes to the breed, and a type of dog that is generally energetic with a tendency toward dog aggression and high prey drive.

Nah, probably better to reduce a complex situation to oversimplified reactionary silliness.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All I’m saying is I own a Greyhound and this dog couldn’t hurt a butterfly if it landed in its mouth.
View Quote

I own a Borzoi that will slaughter rabbits. If your greyhound wouldn’t chase down and kill things, it’s defective.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This I agree with. A dog is a dog. He'll never understand things outside of his own perspective.

I think that the majority of pit bull owners are not respinsible when it comes to breed selection, training, or handling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

PBLM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982,” a 2014 TIME magazine article said.

PBLM

Lulz
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top