Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Still one of my favorite jets. Where I grew up in Nebraska those things were flying all over the place all the time by the national guard. Can you imagine the fuel cost Ha Ha
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Very historic Phantom.  Navy museum should do a bake sale and buy it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
It would cost a fortune to keep it operational.  I wonder what the maintenance hrs/flight hrs are?

You would have to be pretty wealthy to keep it safely flying.

Damn it would be fun to take to airshows or to use to take a chick out on a date.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would cost a fortune to keep it operational.  I wonder what the maintenance hrs/flight hrs are?

You would have to be pretty wealthy to keep it safely flying.

Damn it would be fun to take to airshows or to use to take a chick out on a date.  
View Quote

Back in 1990 we were told $5000/hour was the Air Force's cost for an F-4G test mission.  Today you have to figure the inflation factor for fuel, parts and maintenance and then compute the sunk costs for support personnel, facilities and equipment that were part of the picture of being on a base with 100 other F-4s and the support network for the Phantom.

That said, if I had hit that $One Billion jackpot I'd be buying me an F-4 and having it painted into Viet Nam era Air Force colors.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd buy it and never fly it myself. but what I would do, is have a few beers, climb into the cockpit and go through the complete startup sequence and just hear those engines run.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Back in 1990 we were told $5000/hour was the Air Force's cost for an F-4G test mission.  Today you have to figure the inflation factor for fuel, parts and maintenance and then compute the sunk costs for support personnel, facilities and equipment that were part of the picture of being on a base with 100 other F-4s and the support network for the Phantom.

That said, if I had hit that $One Billion jackpot I'd be buying me an F-4 and having it painted into Viet Nam era Air Force colors.
View Quote

Mustache not included.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It seems like a very bad idea to have inert ordnance painted as if it were HE.
View Quote

This is why you should lowball them. Offer $2,500,000.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Purchase price is likely peanuts compared to the hourly cost to operate this thing.
View Quote

I was going to say if there was ever something that would make owning a boat look like good fiscal management this would be it
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There was a Delta pilot who had one. Had the FAA hot on his trail for doing Top Gun stuff with it. Think he was killed in it too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. If they're selling a MiG-21 I'd be interested.

A person I know, an ex-USN pilot, did that.

It came "some assembly required" from the Czechs.

As he started putting it together, he realized that he was neither brave nor stupid enough to fly the MiG-21.

There was a Delta pilot who had one. Had the FAA hot on his trail for doing Top Gun stuff with it. Think he was killed in it too.

Doug Schultz. Got killed fulfilling a contract with the Canadian navy. They were doing some kind of practice radar intercepts in which he was flying a series of low altitude/high speed passes. Apparently he didn't know the external center fuel tank had a significantly lower Mmo limitation than the airframe. During a pass at under 500' approaching M1 the tank gave up the ghost destroying the jet and scattering Schultz all over the ocean off of Vancouver Island. His death didn't come as a total shock to those that were familiar with him and the jet. He was well known to the FAA. I recall hearing about one FAA inspector swearing he was gonna yank his certificates after watching him fly a series of high speed/low alt passes at an airshow directly over the crowd.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A friend has a Fairey Firefly. He told me about 11 years ago that it cost him $5,000/hour to operate it. 10 grand to operate an F-4 seems a bit low.
View Quote
10k just for fuel

You could turn on all the pumps at your average gas station and they couldn;t keep up with an F4 in burner
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Maximum speed: Mach 2.23
$4,422 in maintenance per flight hour.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Still one of my favorite jets. Where I grew up in Nebraska those things were flying all over the place all the time by the national guard. Can you imagine the fuel cost Ha Ha
View Quote

AS a matter fact I can imagine the fuel bill. 20 lbs a mile @ 6.8 ilbsb per gallon plus reserve. 3000 lbs
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That $5K/hr in 1990s dollars has to be at least $10K now, maybe more.  Probably more because, like you said, you don't have the military infrastructure.  For instance, the $5/hr E-4 AF Airman mechanic would be replaced by a $100/hr civilian.  

Then add in the fuel it would probably cost you $25K every time you took it up for a little one hour joyride.

So if you flew it four or five hours a year it would cost you $100K plus hanger fees.

Expensive little hobby.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
$200 tax stamp required.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think around $10,000/hour to operate
View Quote

meh...  lets say I fly it 50 hours per year...  

thats 500k per year.. Peanuts !

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Man if I had won the lotto this week I’d buy this. It has a amazing story attached to it.
P51 for sale
View Quote

in a fucking heartbeat !
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm really pissed off that I didn't win the lottery this past weekend.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Interesting article by Jane's on costs per hour.

Cost per hour estimate
View Quote

Yeah, its interesting, but really irrelevant in alot of ways. Civ jets are gonna be cheaper in that their avionics will be nerfed, no need to run that expensive and probably unrepairable if damaged, and likely still classified radar. But at the same time, routine stuff will cost vastly more, since you need certified maintainers, the FAA will want all sorts of assurances you aren't gonna end up plowing it into a neighborhood. Then there is the periodic engine rebuild... And then the Fuel... Jets guzzle fuel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A person I know, an ex-USN pilot, did that.

It came "some assembly required" from the Czechs.

As he started putting it together, he realized that he was neither brave nor stupid enough to fly the MiG-21.
View Quote

IDK, depending on what sort of shape it was in, and which version of the mig, its probably one of the safer and cheaper jets to operate. They were fairly simple mechanically, and not terrible to work on from what I've heard. They would still guzzle a shitton of gas tho.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Will they take a check?
View Quote

I'll pay cash (zimbabwe).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]
That aircraft is beautiful, Merica!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll take the airworthy Mig29 someone posted yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw some show with Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek) and he is a pilot and an avid collector of jets and one of them is an F-86 Sabre.

He did say that a really big part of the money he made from STNG went to purchase and maintain that plane.

Really cool though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread made me look up the cost per hour of various US Aircraft

The B2 is $130,000/hour to fly

The most expensive is the E4 Nightwatch at $160,000/hour
Cost per hour of flight time US Aircraft
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Sold

Posting for feedback.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top