BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What would the cop actually do though if you just declined to identify, left the wallet, and just walked out?
View Quote

Arrest him for resisting arrest.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
it is. Every day I ask myself how I can stand to live in such a utopian dystopian society
View Quote

There, fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That cop looks like he has downs or something.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That’s funny. I grew up in NY and have been screwed over by cops up there but in SC I was pulled over doing 60 in a 50 zone but I was being passed by someone when we drove by the cop.  Cop let the other guy go and gave me a ticket.  

I assume it was because of my out of state plates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found a wallet on the sidewalk and turned it in at the police station. They asked my name, which I gave them. They then demanded I give them my driver's license and wrote down my driver's license number.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Or maybe try have a good relationship with the local police.
My local police lied to me about letting a thief drive off with my stolen license plate on his car. They claimed they had it in evidence, then admitted it to me later when "I" got a parking ticket on Long Island and I called them up and asked how my license plate escaped their evidence locker. Actually it was kind of funny.

Thanks for these reminders of why I don't go to NYS even for business anymore.  I got harassed by Albany PD at the airport over rental car paperwork once, and detained for over 2 hours while they tossed the car and my luggage.  Afterwards I told my boss I'm not returning to NY for any reason.  So far I haven't been fired yet, but at this point I would resign before ever going there again.

That’s funny. I grew up in NY and have been screwed over by cops up there but in SC I was pulled over doing 60 in a 50 zone but I was being passed by someone when we drove by the cop.  Cop let the other guy go and gave me a ticket.  

Quite likely the case.  I won't defend our highway bandits for pulling that bullshit, either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't know if he is guilty or innocent, but can you imagine if the guy is actually innocent ?  Even more reason to take at heart the attitude of "never talk to cops, let your attorney do the talking"

In the original confession video you can clearly see the detectives tried to give him a way out, telling him how confessing to it or to try admitting consensual sex would make a "whole lot difference" .  I am sure an attorney would have convinced his client to take this route. 10 year vs 263 is a whole different  ball game. But thankfully this guy cockiness prevailed and the rest is history
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched both your videos OP. That guy didn't do it.
I can't understand how he was prosecuted with no evidence.

27 minutes in they interview the interrogation team and they are fruit cakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmKVMklq6Wk

I don't know if he is guilty or innocent, but can you imagine if the guy is actually innocent ?  Even more reason to take at heart the attitude of "never talk to cops, let your attorney do the talking"

In the original confession video you can clearly see the detectives tried to give him a way out, telling him how confessing to it or to try admitting consensual sex would make a "whole lot difference" .  I am sure an attorney would have convinced his client to take this route. 10 year vs 263 is a whole different  ball game. But thankfully this guy cockiness prevailed and the rest is history

I had my doubts about his guilt too. But the only thing that concerns me is the DNA evidence that they say they found on his pants. How did it get there, and how did they know about it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude had 36 charges. Found guilty of 18 of them for a total of 236 years total sentence. Seems like a lot of time to me. But then again you have to feel bad for the victims. 36 charges?  Was there more than just the two accusations?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're making the assumption all cops of faith have something to hide or are "dirty". I want to believe most cops are probably decent professionals (faith aside), but just like in civilian life there is a small percentage of shitbirds. At least that's been my experience so far. I've had interactions with both kinds. If they are dirty or corrupt I'm guessing they didn't have much faith to begin with.
View Quote

The problem isnt the percentage of bad cops, its the life changing / ending effect that one bad cop can have, even if he is the only bad cop in the state.

Not worth the risk
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found a really nice, almost-new professional-grade chainsaw with tree-climbing gear attached to it by the side of a road once. I took it to the little local police station.

Later that day, I saw an arborist working in the neighborhood and asked him if a saw had fallen off his truck. It had. We went to the police station.

They didn't know anything about it.

I essentially gave some poor working stiff's really nice saw to a cop.
View Quote

Neither story would have happened here, as you would have received a property/ custody form with a case number and a detailed list of what was turned over to the agency
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dude had 36 charges. Found guilty of 18 of them for a total of 236 years total sentence. Seems like a lot of time to me. But then again you have to feel bad for the victims. 36 charges?  Was there more than just the two accusations?
View Quote
As many as 13 different woman came forward. I wonder if there were some looking to win the state lotto.

But even if is only one, what was the guy thinking ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As many as 13 different woman came forward. I wonder if there were some looking to win the state lotto.

But even if is only one, what was the guy thinking ?
View Quote

That he was a cop and could do whatever he wanted.

And as often as not, he'd be right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
First post is awesome.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just curious....... was the officer convicted off the victims statement alone..... or was there DNA evidence backing her claims up?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is irrelevant.

I have had very little contact with my local police. I live in a huge city with hundreds of officers. I highly doubt any efforts I make would have a positive benefit to me should I get into trouble.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quite likely the case.  I won't defend our highway bandits for pulling that bullshit, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found a wallet on the sidewalk and turned it in at the police station. They asked my name, which I gave them. They then demanded I give them my driver's license and wrote down my driver's license number.

Quoted:
Quoted:
My local police lied to me about letting a thief drive off with my stolen license plate on his car. They claimed they had it in evidence, then admitted it to me later when "I" got a parking ticket on Long Island and I called them up and asked how my license plate escaped their evidence locker. Actually it was kind of funny.

Thanks for these reminders of why I don't go to NYS even for business anymore.  I got harassed by Albany PD at the airport over rental car paperwork once, and detained for over 2 hours while they tossed the car and my luggage.  Afterwards I told my boss I'm not returning to NY for any reason.  So far I haven't been fired yet, but at this point I would resign before ever going there again.

I was going 60 but I thought it was a dick move.  Lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

By all means, post a link.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You suggest that if you're innocent with nothing to hide it's still bad to talk to the police, but post a video of a guilty guy.
The guilty guy is brought to justice, but that's bad in your mind

Do the police union reps and lawyers advice police officers under investigation to go ahead and talk to the police investigating them, or do they tell them to shut the fuck up?

I've got a youtube video where you can hear this for yourself.

By all means, post a link.

[youtube]RIeMvitoYno?t=391[/youtube]

eta, shit...

it's at about 6:30 mark...

My client gets shot by police through his closed front door!

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

?t=391
View Quote

Pull off the question mark and stuff after it.  The feature can't use time stamps.

My client gets shot by police through his closed front door!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shouldn’t you requested an attorney at that point?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was going 60 but I thought it was a dick move.  Lol
View Quote

It for sure is.  

I was on a small 2 lane highway once.  It has passing lanes every several miles. I got behind a car going probably 10 miles under the speed limit, so when the next passing lane came up I started to go around them.  The young lady driving took offense to this and sped up to match me.  I could see the end of the passing lane ahead, so I slowed down to get back behind her.  She apparently was pissed at this point because she hit her brakes to not let me get behind her.  My only choice was to floor it, so I did.  I went around her, then I see lights behind her.  I assumed he was getting her for being an asshole but nope, pulled me over for speeding. The conversation went like this.

Trooper: " you were going pretty fast, was she not letting you get over?"

Me: "yes, did you see that shit? That was my only option to get back over into our lane before I went into the oncoming lane"

Trooper:  "Yeah that's what I figured was going on, but you were still speeding.  I have to give you a ticket"

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Even if you are innocent and don't have anything to hide. This video is probably a dupe but it's a good example how talking to LE without a lawyer is a bad idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlrwAPWEUlg
His sentencing reaction.  I bet that he wishes he hadn't talk to cops.
The guy clearly is guilty and deserves all that is coming to him but it's a good example of a person who thinks he can out maneuvers his way out of jail by sweet talking Lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCOLxrwMqmI
View Quote

Is this a joke?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is this a joke?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even if you are innocent and don't have anything to hide. This video is probably a dupe but it's a good example how talking to LE without a lawyer is a bad idea.
The guy clearly is guilty and deserves all that is coming to him but it's a good example of a person who thinks he can out maneuvers his way out of jail by sweet talking Lol.

Is this a joke?
"she showed them the route that the officer had taken on the night of the attack, and it matched Holtzclaw's GPS route that evening.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just curious....... was the officer convicted off the victims statement alone..... or was there DNA evidence backing her claims up?
View Quote
No DNA linked
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You do you man, but like I say in all these threads.  Living in absolutes probably is the best idea either.  I’ve had plenty of ppl talk them selves out of jail.
View Quote

I have literally never met anyone who talked themselves out of jail.

I have, however, arrested probably a dozen who talked themselves into jail, and/or literally demanded that I allow them to write a written statement (post-Miranda, of course) that detailed their crime and why they did it. The best part was, it was usually pretty serious shit, like domestic battery, armed robbery, aggravated battery, domestic battery via strangulation, grand theft, etc.

Another interesting observation: the hoodrats never demanded to fill out a statement. Hoodrats were usually back on the block in a few weeks at most, or their case got dropped.

Never did hear from or see the "YOU HAVE TO LET ME TELL MY SIDE!" people again though...

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do the police union reps and lawyers advice police officers under investigation to go ahead and talk to the police investigating them, or do they tell them to shut the fuck up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You suggest that if you're innocent with nothing to hide it's still bad to talk to the police, but post a video of a guilty guy.

::crickets::
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Here the cops are hit or miss.  There is one town that is a dot on the map. They want to think that they are hot shit big department.  Most of my interactions with themhave been horrible.  

The police chief is noted as saying that if you have a CCW permit then open carry is illegal.  That is the chief making up the law. Any LEO that makes up laws should be dismissed immediately.  Open carry is legal in our this state.  Having a CCW has no bearing on open carry.

Was pulled over once on a side street. Now the stop was legit.  My motorcycle was having electrical issues and all my lights went out. I was turning around to go home.  Officer pulls me over.  We do the CCW dance and he disarms me.  I had a cocked and locked 1911.  He brings the gun back to me and wants to know how to decock it.  I told him it couldn't be done.  He insisted it could be.  I said not with a live round in the chamber.  He had not a clue.  I was pissed if you are going to disarm someone then you had better know how the weapon works.

This one still make my blood boil years later.  Not the stop, but being lied to about a citation for a law that doesn't exist.

My girlfriend and I were going home one night and one of her headlights went out.  The car was hers and she was driving  We were pulled over.  I had a CCW and a gun on me.  Holy fuck you would thought that we had just murdered someone. They disarmed me, told me not to move.  Then played 20 questions about why I need it and wanted to know all about our evening.  A simple headlight stop turned into a 45 minute stop with 5 officers.  The best part is towards the end.  They get all friendly and say we won't issue you t ticket this time blah blah blah.  Officer TwofaceLiar makes up a law and tells me next stops me and my weapon is not cleaned he will issue a citation.  That pissed me off.  Some say he was joking but when LEO threatens a person with a ticket for a crime that doesn't exist, that should be grounds for being fired.  Yes my weapon was dirty and had some rust. I carried it on my bike and would get wet.

Most of the town government is like that.  A friend had a business there. They would come up the craziest stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He's not a criminal, so maybe he doesn't want to be in your system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For my agency it was so that we had an accurate Records Management System.
We want to make sure there aren't 3 "Aimlesses" in our system who are all the same penguin. A drivers license number is a unique number for that particular individual.

Then don't invite the man into your life. Or just give him the wallet and walk off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Then don't invite the man into your life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For my agency it was so that we had an accurate Records Management System.
We want to make sure there aren't 3 "Aimlesses" in our system who are all the same penguin. A drivers license number is a unique number for that particular individual.

Then don't invite the man into your life.

And that attitude is why people like me won't have anything to do with a LEO even if it is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even Garrity bro?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

actually believing this. very very fitting gif. putin will clearly spare you since you're friends.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Not sure of how many years law and order has been on? If you watched any of it ,you should know you have the right to remain silent!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Once you make it back to that little room, it's a big clue that it's time to shut up.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Apparently he should’ve worked for the BRPD here local. He could’ve been acquitted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/courts/article_f7775610-e313-11e6-86a5-0bd93bd37b51.amp.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Take a look at this gem. From a small municipal PD in WV that has a short stretch of I-64 running through it.

It's probably still on their website. I just took a screenshot of it the other day after hearing a first-hand story of encountering these guys.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Do whatever you want.  Just do you.

I dont give a rat fuck if you dont want to talk to me.  

Got hit by drunk driver and dont want to tell me what you observed?  

Fine.  

Work the case yourself cause I've got other shit to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

To me a good relationship is no relationship. The potential downside for interacting with the police is so much greater than any advantage you might gain by being buddy buddy that only someone really naïve would beleive this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Take a look at this gem. From a small municipal PD in WV that has a short stretch of I-64 running through it.

It's probably still on their website. I just took a screenshot of it the other day after hearing a first-hand story of encountering these guys.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/Screen_Shot_2021-01-20_at_4_13_36_PM_png-1796451.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/Screen_Shot_2021-01-20_at_4_13_36_PM_png-1796451.JPG

i have been in that town.  And Hurricane is pronounced with one syllable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do whatever you want.  Just do you.

I dont give a rat fuck if you dont want to talk to me.  

Got hit by drunk driver and dont want to tell me what you observed?  

Fine.  

Work the case yourself cause I've got other shit to do.
View Quote

Will you leave me alone if I don't want to play your games even when you want me to?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have literally never met anyone who talked themselves out of jail.

I have, however, arrested probably a dozen who talked themselves into jail, and/or literally demanded that I allow them to write a written statement (post-Miranda, of course) that detailed their crime and why they did it. The best part was, it was usually pretty serious shit, like domestic battery, armed robbery, aggravated battery, domestic battery via strangulation, grand theft, etc.

Another interesting observation: the hoodrats never demanded to fill out a statement. Hoodrats were usually back on the block in a few weeks at most, or their case got dropped.

Never did hear from or see the "YOU HAVE TO LET ME TELL MY SIDE!" people again though...

View Quote

What?  No way.   The other cop was just telling me how if I slipped up and was just honest with him he'd let me be on my way.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I talked an officer out of a concealed carry violation when stopped for speeding.

In Virginia a few years ago we changed the law so that a firearm
"secured in a closed compartment in a vehicle" is NOT considered concealed.
It does not have to be a locked compartment.
just closed.
Your glove box or vehicle console are allowed locations.

I did not raise my voice, I just repeated "secured in a closed compartment" over and over.

He reduced the speeding ticket to "disobeying a highway sign"  and saved me 30 bucks right off the top.
He never said another word about concealed carry after he went back to his car to write up the ticket.

He was a deputy sheriff from the county beside my residence county.
No one got hurt. No one was upset when it was over.
I never said a word about the speeding charge since he had me dead to right.
I was doing 70 in a 60 zone.
The County Mounties only give you 5 over.
The State police give 10.

I assume he called back to the office and asked for some advice.

I was polite and calm and he must have realized I saved him from looking
foolish when the ticket would have to be nol prossed.
I am retired with plenty of time available.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
"All you have to do is prove your innocence and you can be on your way."
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of "pick up the can," wait until people hear what happened to this particular guy who got pulled over by these guys.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I talked an officer out of a concealed carry violation when stopped for speeding.

In Virginia a few years ago we changed the law so that a firearm
"secured in a closed compartment in a vehicle" is NOT considered concealed.
It does not have to be a locked compartment.
just closed.
Your glove box or vehicle console are allowed locations.

I did not raise my voice, I just repeated "secured in a closed compartment" over and over.

He reduced the speeding ticket to "disobeying a highway sign"  and saved me 30 bucks right off the top.
He never said another word about concealed carry after he went back to his car to write up the ticket.

He was a deputy sheriff from the county beside my residence county.
No one got hurt. No one was upset when it was over.
I never said a word about the speeding charge since he had me dead to right.
I was doing 70 in a 60 zone.
The County Mounties only give you 5 over.
The State police give 10.

I assume he called back to the office and asked for some advice.

I was polite and calm and he must have realized I saved him from looking
foolish when the ticket would have to be nol prossed.
I am retired with plenty of time available.

View Quote

The route 58 special.  250 dollar fine and 3 demerits for 3 years.  I got one instead of 5 over when I wouldn't let the cop search my car.  Got to love Emporia.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There was a thread here a while ago about an open carry group that was planning a legal open carry event in Miami, FL.  They sent a letter to the PD telling them about it, with the location, time and date that they were planning on legally demonstrating.  They also called the PD, twice, and left 2 voicemails to let them know the same information that way.

The local PD showed up, drew their guns, disarmed the demonstrators and proned them out on the ground at gun point, cuffed them.

An officer member here on the forum said that it was the demonstrator's fault for what happened, because they didn't give enough notice to the PD, that they were going to participate in a legal activity (which they really didn't have to tell anyone to begin with, but they did anyway, 3 times).

They quiet obviously tried to have a good relationship with the local police.  They got guns pointed at them for it.

(They later sued the PD over it and won.)
View Quote

Who ever that was should be permabanned for stupidity as they obviously had enough notice to show up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Do you even Garrity bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even Garrity bro?

So you talk when you are legally required and have protections.  

Do your lawyers advise you to talk to the officers that are doing the criminals investigation where Garrity isn't in play?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Do your lawyers advise you to talk to the officers that are doing the criminals investigation where Garrity isn't in play?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even Garrity bro?

If you want to trust Garrity..... I represented a cop who got indicted for something he did on duty, and he sung like a canary, b/c, Garrity..... Guess what the judge didn't give a flying flip about when the prosecutor wanted to use his statement?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you want to trust Garrity..... I represented a cop who got indicted for something he did on duty, and he sung like a canary, b/c, Garrity..... Guess what the judge didn't give a flying flip about when the prosecutor wanted to use his statement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even Garrity bro?

Prosecutor here is the one who gives Garrity protections.

Who gives them in WV?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

My question is, could a lawyer have done anything beyond telling a suspect/arrested person "dont say anything" or to give a statement on self-defense early on? what exactly would an attorney do for you that you could not do by invoking the right to remain silent
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#50]
If you are a witness please talk to the police.
If you were involved in a crime it is in your best interest not to until you consult an attorney.

Source: I spent the last ten years of my career as a detective sergeant.

By the time I talked to you I already had you.

I sleep well knowing nobody went to prison on my cases that didn’t earn it.
I never tricked anyone or played games. All interviews recorded.

I could not live with myself if an innocent person went to prison on my cases.

It disgusts me that innocent people get jammed by lazy or crooked cops.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top