Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, so from everything I'm seeing, I want a 22/45 MkIV Lite. And thanks to the panic it looks like I'm going to be paying through the nose to get one compared to pre-panic.  ($450 vs. $750)

Then again, maybe I can trade/sell a few bulk bricks for one with the current lunacy going on.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like others have said, I prefer the MK II's and MK IV's (once you install the "blast shield" mag safety delete in the MK IV).
My Precision Pistol league gun is a MK IV Tactical, which has a MantisX mounted to the lower rail.
To those who have rails coming loose, a drop of Blue Loctite on the screws will fix that problem.

https://media.nagelsguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/31121303/40801-DEFAULT-l.jpg
View Quote

It's a toss up between this one and the 22/45 lite.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some guns do require a bit of tuning and work out of the box to make them perfect. That's just the nature of our modern economy where we demand the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel prices on everything.

If the one-time task of going over a new gun and putting loctite on the critical screws is too much for you (as evidenced by your "My time is valuable" remarks), then maybe you should find a simpler hobby.
View Quote

Cool story.  Does it help the OP in any way or are you just going to continue wasting site resources?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:33:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Browning Buck Mark
View Quote

This. Or a MkIV. I sold off my TacSol and Volquartsen MkIII's after my first MkIV. It finally fixed the biggest weakness of the Ruger 22LR pistols.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok, so from everything I'm seeing, I want a 22/45 MkIV Lite. And thanks to the panic it looks like I'm going to be paying through the nose to get one compared to pre-panic.  ($450 vs. $750)

Then again, maybe I can trade/sell a few bulk bricks for one with the current lunacy going on.

Thanks for the replies.
View Quote

I just bought one that my DA Mask will live on when it gets out of jail. Had to sign up with Bud's premier membership or whatever it is to get one, and it was $550
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I've owned 3 separate mk iii's. Now I own 2 mk iv's.

Mk iv's have been ridiculously reliable, whereas the mk iii's were spotty.

I got pretty good at taking apart the mk iii, but the mk iv is ridiculously better to take apart and put back together.

If you already have a mk iii that works well, I would say, rock on and enjoy. If you're buying new, get the mk iv lite.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cool story.  Does it help the OP in any way or are you just going to continue wasting site resources?

View Quote

I should hope it does help the OP, because you stated about the pistol in question that "I don't envision I will own this much longer" because you got mad you forgot to loc-tite a few important screws.

Interesting remark about the site resources, though--Open discussion directly related to the topic at hand isn't considered "wasting site resources" by any reasonable metric.

This most recent post of yours honestly just sounds like desperate flailing and borderline trolling. Say something cogent or stop speaking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like others have said, I prefer the MK II's and MK IV's (once you install the "blast shield" mag safety delete in the MK IV).
My Precision Pistol league gun is a MK IV Tactical, which has a MantisX mounted to the lower rail.
To those who have rails coming loose, a drop of Blue Loctite on the screws will fix that problem.

https://media.nagelsguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/31121303/40801-DEFAULT-l.jpg

The lite will be lighter and easier to hold up.  The Tactical will be both mechanically more accurate, and the extra weight will help dampen the wobble and shakes, and let YOU shoot a little better on top of that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve never owned a 22lr pistol till last year when I bought the buckmark. Decked it out with tandomkross goodies. Really fun and reliable pistol to shoot. Trigger was great out of the box. Then right after bought a Mark 4 target,added v trigger,firing pin,extractor,charging handle,grips etc. we really enjoy shooting both and are reliable. I give the edge to the ruger for ease of taking apart and cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

It will be getting an RDS style optic so I can sight over my Optimus.
To date, I've yet to see another in this edition.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I recently sold my 22/45 MKIII for stupid money. I will get a MKIV at some point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My time is valuable. When you have a gun like the Mk IV that takes apart with just the press of a button and flick of a wrist, and vice-versa for reassembly, that's a serious selling point. Especially when it's used as a suppressor host and gets dirty as hell every single time I shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't take a MKI/II/III apart and get it back together with relative ease...you're a donut and you don't deserve to own guns

My time is valuable. When you have a gun like the Mk IV that takes apart with just the press of a button and flick of a wrist, and vice-versa for reassembly, that's a serious selling point. Especially when it's used as a suppressor host and gets dirty as hell every single time I shoot.

Exactly.   Fuck monkeying around with shit.  
I can prove my manliness on 10 other things.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My time is valuable too, I shouldn't have to use my time and purple loctite on factory installed parts on a 22.

The OP asked about the pistol.  I'm telling him my experience and letting him know if he goes with the mkIV lite, he may need to buy some thread locker if he doesn't have any.  Blue was suggested above, but I like purple for this application.  

Yes, loctite has since fixed those loose items on my mkIV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All three of the items you described as coming loose have set screws securing them in place. I just checked on my own Mk IV 22/45 Lite.

Are you mad at the product because you don't know how to use Loc-tite?

My time is valuable too, I shouldn't have to use my time and purple loctite on factory installed parts on a 22.

The OP asked about the pistol.  I'm telling him my experience and letting him know if he goes with the mkIV lite, he may need to buy some thread locker if he doesn't have any.  Blue was suggested above, but I like purple for this application.  

Yes, loctite has since fixed those loose items on my mkIV.

Ok. But that's a 1x fix.   There isn't a screw on a gun that doesn't need loctite.

My MKIV has been awesome.  Only thing I changed was the front sight. Put on a Fiber Optic one cause I'm blind.  

I'm pushing 10k rounds with it.  It's ate some legit dogshit ammo.    
Trigger aint awesome but I've used ALOT worse.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have one....why?
View Quote

I SAID NO QUESTIONS!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.
View Quote

Fuck all that.   I'd wait.  
People make some stupid ass decisions during times like these.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#16]
neither..

Browning Buckmark is the 22 pistol you want.

I was a Ruger Mark series fanboy until I discovered the buck mark.  

If you HAVE to have a Ruger, look for a MKII or a MKIV.  The MKIII's suck.  I treaded a MKIII hunter in recently and the guy laughed and said he'd take it in trade because we go back a long ways, but no one really wants a MKIII.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
neither..

Browning Buckmark is the 22 pistol you want.

I was a Ruger Mark series fanboy until I discovered the buck mark.  

If you HAVE to have a Ruger, look for a MKII or a MKIV.  The MKIII's suck.  I treaded a MKIII hunter in recently and the guy laughed and said he'd take it in trade because we go back a long ways, but no one really wants a MKIII.
View Quote

The only reason I would get a Buckmark over a MKIV is if its preban so I can put my can on it.   But I have a 41 with 2 uppers so I don't need to.
Not a huge fan of having to remove screws to clean.  I either break them or lose them.    
The S&W method of the hinged triggergaurd is nice & easy.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Get the MKIV, I have a 22/45 MKIII and I'm jealous that the controls on the MKIV (safety, mag release, slide release) are actually shaped like the real deal and not just nubs for all

MKIII

MK IV

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed. And easily removed.

Lawyers....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The MKIII LCI is that gay shit.

Agreed. And easily removed.

Lawyers....

Easily removed, but now you have either a hole in your receiver or a patch.

The lock on S&W revolvers is easily removed too. Doesn't stop pre lock guns from bringing more money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#20]
If you can find a 22/45 lite w a TB, let me know , k OP.  They are out of stock EVERYFUCKINGWHERE.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the MkII and the MkIV.

MkIV all day, hands down. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Absolutely not. The Buckmark I had was garbage compared to my Mk IV. The trigger is mushy and heavy, the slide operation is gritty even after thoroughly cleaning it, and it requires removing screws to field strip for cleaning. Were it not for the ongoing panic buying and such, I don't think people would really be buying Buckmarks anymore. For a dedicated .22 pistol it's Ruger or bust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Browning Buck Mark

Absolutely not. The Buckmark I had was garbage compared to my Mk IV. The trigger is mushy and heavy, the slide operation is gritty even after thoroughly cleaning it, and it requires removing screws to field strip for cleaning. Were it not for the ongoing panic buying and such, I don't think people would really be buying Buckmarks anymore. For a dedicated .22 pistol it's Ruger or bust.

Buckmark trigger is far better than any version of the Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some guns do require a bit of tuning and work out of the box to make them perfect. That's just the nature of our modern economy where we demand the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel prices on everything.

If the one-time task of going over a new gun and putting loctite on the critical screws is too much for you (as evidenced by your "My time is valuable" remarks), then maybe you should find a simpler hobby.

Pay no attention to him. He is a liberal troll and when he talks guns and shooting it is pretty clear he is confused.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
MKII. I don't know if the MKIV has the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator of the MKIII, but those two are dealbreakers for me. So until I know those two are absent, anytime the question is "Which 22/45?" my answer will be MKII.
View Quote
This. I frankly don't get why so many folks are baffled on the disassembly and reassembly of the gun. It's not quite a Glock but no more difficult than a 1911 slide release.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you can find a 22/45 lite w a TB, let me know , k OP.  They are out of stock EVERYFUCKINGWHERE.
View Quote

I've written Ruger, will be calling my dealer this morning, put an ad up on the EE, and will ultimately probably end up paying too much for one.

...but rest assured I'll own one of these guns soon!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The mk4 took the mk3’s biggest weakness and turned it into one of its biggest strengths
View Quote

Pretty succinct summary.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#27]
For what peeps are paying for the MK-whatevers these days they could search the secondary market and find them a S&W 422 for the same, or less, money. Better trigger and a better suppressor host at about half the weight/width.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For what peeps are paying for the MK-whatevers these days they could search the secondary market and find them a S&W 422 for the same, or less, money. Better trigger and a better suppressor host at about half the weight/width.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R30d491efa4b11cd42f59c343f9e31732?rik=LGxlTRwEdBNexg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fopticstalk.com%2fuploads%2f11412%2fSW_422_1.jpg&ehk=3w0TNCazpof8HLwcVsnHyzyIPC7%2bKRLKDRV4RaFXw%2f4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw
View Quote

Had one and traded it.  Was a great gun.  Some days I regret it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Heard back from my dealer.  The 22/45 lite is out of stock with his distributors but was going for around $510.  However, my dealer said I could hand him one of my new budget build AR15's and it'll fetch the $700-$800 the Ruger will cost me if I buy one on ginbroker.

...looks like I'm getting a new gun boys!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I like my MKIV quite a bit so I picked up another upper to have cut to be a host.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Browning Buck Mark
View Quote

I’ve been eyeing these from CDNN. Are these drilled and tapped? All my Rugers are sporting red dots due to aging eyes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought a MKIV 22/45 Lite for cheap practice.

It wears a vortex venom and virtually every TandemKross upgrade except for the race gun add-ons.

I love the thing and will never sell it.  Just way too much fun.  Also very excellent at armadillo eradication.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pay no attention to him. He is a liberal troll and when he talks guns and shooting it is pretty clear he is confused.
View Quote

His name seemed familiar from a millennial wonder thread a year or two ago.

The names are scrubbed off the archive, but pretty sure I can tell which posts were his.  :eye roll:

(Now I wait to be reported.)
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#34]
And now we wait!  I've got a bunch of possibilities lined up and I estimate it'll cost me about $25-$75 out of pocket for a NIB MkIV Lite.  

Appreciate the replies!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a MKIII and MKIV. Get the MKIV.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The lite will be lighter and easier to hold up.  The Tactical will be both mechanically more accurate, and the extra weight will help dampen the wobble and shakes, and let YOU shoot a little better on top of that.
View Quote

Funny that you mention that. I shoot my lite better than my tactical. I know it should be the other way around, but it's not
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Buckmark trigger is far better than any version of the Ruger.
View Quote

Nope: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018675278/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R30d491efa4b11cd42f59c343f9e31732?rik=LGxlTRwEdBNexg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fopticstalk.com%2fuploads%2f11412%2fSW_422_1.jpg&ehk=3w0TNCazpof8HLwcVsnHyzyIPC7%2bKRLKDRV4RaFXw%2f4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw
View Quote

Half the weight of the 22/45 lite? Better trigger than the volquartsen kit?

I doubt it's a better suppressor host. MK IV is the pistol you see all of the people who work at suppressor companies using. Mine has been an excellent suppressor host, and very reliable too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Half the weight of the 22/45 lite? Better trigger than the volquartsen kit?

I doubt it's a better suppressor host. MK IV is the pistol you see all of the people who work at suppressor companies using. Mine has been an excellent suppressor host, and very reliable too.
View Quote

In all fairness, that is probably because they stopped making the 422/similar models decades ago and the MK IV, prior to the panic, was far more prevalent in supply.  Having owned one, it was a neat gun.  But just too large and didn't shoot it much.  As I said before, looking back, I probably shouldn't have traded it.

Oh well, on to bigger and better things....like pulling the trigger on a MKIV Lite tonight!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to choose  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Easily removed, but now you have either a hole in your receiver or a patch.

The lock on S&W revolvers is easily removed too. Doesn't stop pre lock guns from bringing more money.
View Quote

What I did with mine, before getting the metal Tandemkross piece, was to shave/sand down the plastic factory one just to act as a filler.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No need to choose  

https://i.imgur.com/Yh0tQCu.jpg
View Quote

What's the deal with the pull rings?   That for competition or something?   Seems like it'd be faster for competition but far too much of a snag risk if used for other purposes.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What's the deal with the pull rings?   That for competition or something?   Seems like it'd be faster for competition but far too much of a snag risk if used for other purposes.

Thanks!
View Quote

Have you ever pulled back the bolt on a Mark pistol?  I mean without a first aid kit nearby?  

It's just not pleasant.  There's not a lot to grab and there can be some sharp edges.  The bolt ears really are the worst part of this pistol.

The TK Halo looks like ass and costs way more than it should, but it completely eliminates that issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#44]
The MKIV will eat anything and is plenty accurate for me.  The push button take down is nice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#45]
My problem is that I have a pile of magazines. I don't see why Ruger couldn't have just made the MKIV 22/45 use the same mags as the MKII and MKIII which are interchangeable. If I were starting over I would go MKIV for sure.

Quoted:
I recently sold my 22/45 MKIII for stupid money. I will get a MKIV at some point.
View Quote

What's stupid money? I have several
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I never had a problem with a MkI or MkII.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]
MKIII 22/45 was a nightmare to put back together.  Based on that alone, if the MKIV is an improvement, I'd go that way.

Either way I prefer the TX22 - from the factory it is so much better in almost every way.  Not sure about longevity though as they are fairly new and Ruger has been making 22s forever.

For the Rugers, you need an accurizing kit - Volquartsen sells one that has a sear, hammer, trigger - makes a night/day difference with the trigger.   Also, tandem cross bushing gets rid of 2 pieces that gets rid of the mag safety, but I could not get it to work with the volqartsen kit, so went back to mag safety.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
MKIII 22/45 was a nightmare to put back together.  Based on that alone, if the MKIV is an improvement, I'd go that way.

Either way I prefer the TX22 - from the factory it is so much better in almost every way.  Not sure about longevity though as they are fairly new and Ruger has been making 22s forever.

For the Rugers, you need an accurizing kit - Volquartsen sells one that has a sear, hammer, trigger - makes a night/day difference with the trigger.   Also, tandem cross bushing gets rid of 2 pieces that gets rid of the mag safety, but I could not get it to work with the volqartsen kit, so went back to mag safety.  

View Quote

My VQ accurizing kit (in the Lite pictured above) disables the mag disconnect. No need for the TK kit.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The VQ trigger shape is horrible, so I went with the TK trigger teamed with VQ hammer and sear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Annnnnddd I bought one!!!

Ended up paying ~$10 less than the AR I sold to get it.  I'll break it down...  I took one of my budget builds off the wall, took it to my dealer and said I wanted $825 for it.  He said no problem and already had several buyers lined up.  I paid $816 shipped for the 22/45 MKIV Lite.  So instead of it costing me additional money....came out ahead.  

....the build only cost me $400 to begin with!

Thanks again for all of the replies!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top