BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That was actually a legal arrest. A bullshit one, but legal.

You can get arrested for public intoxication on private property like your back yard just like you can get arrested for public intoxication in a privately owned bar.

I would NEVER fuck with somebody for something stupid like that, but it IS technically a legal one.
View Quote

Are you sure about that in TX?

The definition of 'public place':
(40)"Public place" means any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access and includes, but is not limited to, streets, highways, and the common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, transport facilities, and shops.

Sec. 49.02.  PUBLIC INTOXICATION.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

(a-1)  For the purposes of this section, a premises licensed or permitted under the Alcoholic Beverage Code is a public place.

(b)  It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the alcohol or other substance was administered for therapeutic purposes and as a part of the person's professional medical treatment by a licensed physician.

(c)  Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Good fire.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The Charge in Texas is consumption after hours I believe it is in the Alcoholic beverage code.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what happens where you hire people off the street at that pay scale.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Charge in Texas is consumption after hours I believe it is in the Alcoholic beverage code.
View Quote

that only applies to places licensed for on site sales/consumption
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
“We hold ourselves to high standards of professionalism to the communities we protect,” writes the sheriff’s department. “When we are right, we are right. When we are wrong, we admit we are wrong.

If all police adopted this attitude they would be much better off.

View Quote

Yep, and to often pride, vanity, feelings and dental plans get into the way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can get arrested for public intoxication on private property like your back yard just like you can get arrested for public intoxication in a privately owned bar.

I would NEVER fuck with somebody for something stupid like that, but it IS technically a legal one.
View Quote

No, that's not correct at all.  Public intoxication in Texas has to components, and the victim did not meet either one.  First, the person has to be intoxicated to the point that they endanger themselves or another.  Second, a back yard is not a public place, regardless of any equivocation that might be attempted.  The only reason a private bar is considered a public place is because the public intoxication law explicitly includes a premises licensed to sell alcohol.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Guy around me got tagged for solicitation for offering to *buy* things from people.

Now, it was a gun turn in event so there was definitely political motivation behind it - but laws get applied however the LE and magistrate decide, not the way the law is written.
View Quote

Aome sheriffs  tried that around here. It didn't work as the guys just went across the street and held up their signs saying they will pay more than the city for firearms.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dude already explained. Next step would be to look at the penal code.
View Quote

I did.  He explained wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#10]
THE George Foreman was arrested for preaching on a street corner (70's?) by Houston PD. They prob used "disorderly conduct" municipal charge which is overly broad.  Wouldn't fly today.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

And yet one cop was fired, one reassigned and victim got a couple bucks. Do you argue against gravity too?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did.  He explained wrong.
View Quote

Well then there you have it!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How can there be tens of thousands of cops who both are totally ignorant of constitutional law, and also bold-faced liars?
View Quote

These scenarios are unavoidable where:

1.  POs are drawn from a pool with an upper limit on education and IQ,
2.  POs are trained to "control" interactions, and
3.  Staffing pressures in some departments mean they get the bottom 10% of that population.

All that combines to mean that depending on where you contact a PO, you are speaking to someone with a room temp IQ and emotional problems who only knows that he is supposed to dominate an interaction with someone who is probably smarter than he is.

Police are like public school teachers.  The good ones are sought after, get better pay and continuing education, and wind up in the kinds of places a person would want to work.  At the other end, the result isn't happy.

A great PO or a great public school teacher are an asset to those they serve.  Bad ones are a problem waiting to be solved.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hard to say.

The below incident happened just two days ago.  White cop, white victims.  Officer Zatzkin just resigned because of it (allegedly).  Resigned before he could be fired.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAF3zp7-OIM
View Quote

Not surprised on Jersey Village.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of mine was drinking beer with four of his co workers in his backyard at 3 am on a Saturday .  In Texas alcohol can not be sold after 2 am  in a bar or after 1am from a convenience store and all liquor stores have to close a 9 pm.

2 police officers drive by his house and see all of them drinking in his back yard. The cops stop and come to the fence and tell them that they can not be out side at night drinking after 2am . My friend asked why and they said that he and his co-workers would be charged with public intoxication if they did not go into his house. My friend told the cops that his back yard was private property and that they where not on public property.
The cops said that if people could see them drinking then that was public intoxication.
Now my friend told the cops to go fuck themselves and get off of his property.   The 2 cops came through his gate into his back yard and grabbed him put him in hand cuffs and told him he was under arrest for public intoxication and disorderly conduct. His co workers all went into his house before the cops could get to them.
The next morning  when the judge showed up to hear his case / plea and my friend told him what happened the judge dismissed all charges and made a different cop take him back  home.

My friend got I lawyer  the next Monday and the lawyer went to the city attorney and told him that the city could settle out of court for $75,000 dollars or he would see them in court. By Friday the city contacted my friend and his lawyer and asked them if they would settle for $60,000 the lawyer talked it over with my friend and said $65,000 . The city cut a check for $ 65,000 two week later. My friend got $45,000 his lawyer got $20,000.
One cop got fired  and the other one was made to work in the jail for 2 years before he could go back on the street. The cop working in the jail quite after 5 months.

I asked my friend why he didn't go for more money. He told me that his lawyer did it that way because if it went to court it could have taken up to 2 years before it went to trial. He took the fast money.

LOL.  Try that in Ohio without a public nuisance complaint.  Even then it’s mostly just a turn it down call.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL.  Try that in Ohio without a public nuisance complaint.  Even then it’s mostly just a turn it down call.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of mine was drinking beer with four of his co workers in his backyard at 3 am on a Saturday .  In Texas alcohol can not be sold after 2 am  in a bar or after 1am from a convenience store and all liquor stores have to close a 9 pm.

2 police officers drive by his house and see all of them drinking in his back yard. The cops stop and come to the fence and tell them that they can not be out side at night drinking after 2am . My friend asked why and they said that he and his co-workers would be charged with public intoxication if they did not go into his house. My friend told the cops that his back yard was private property and that they where not on public property.
The cops said that if people could see them drinking then that was public intoxication.
Now my friend told the cops to go fuck themselves and get off of his property.   The 2 cops came through his gate into his back yard and grabbed him put him in hand cuffs and told him he was under arrest for public intoxication and disorderly conduct. His co workers all went into his house before the cops could get to them.
The next morning  when the judge showed up to hear his case / plea and my friend told him what happened the judge dismissed all charges and made a different cop take him back  home.

My friend got I lawyer  the next Monday and the lawyer went to the city attorney and told him that the city could settle out of court for $75,000 dollars or he would see them in court. By Friday the city contacted my friend and his lawyer and asked them if they would settle for $60,000 the lawyer talked it over with my friend and said $65,000 . The city cut a check for $ 65,000 two week later. My friend got $45,000 his lawyer got $20,000.
One cop got fired  and the other one was made to work in the jail for 2 years before he could go back on the street. The cop working in the jail quite after 5 months.

I asked my friend why he didn't go for more money. He told me that his lawyer did it that way because if it went to court it could have taken up to 2 years before it went to trial. He took the fast money.

Edited to add.
I called a friend.  That would not meet the criteria for an arrest for public intox. Not even “technically”.  The stupid just never ends.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How tf does a cop not know the law?
"My job is to enforce the law......I don't have to know what the law is...as long as I enforce it"
View Quote

In the three academies I have attended the legal instruction was all about broad topics, ie 4th amendment, probable cause etc.  zero instruction on any specific laws.  All of that specific statutory stuff was expected for you to learn on your own during the field training program.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, that's not correct at all.  Public intoxication in Texas has to components, and the victim did not meet either one.  First, the person has to be intoxicated to the point that they endanger themselves or another.  Second, a back yard is not a public place, regardless of any equivocation that might be attempted.  The only reason a private bar is considered a public place is because the public intoxication law explicitly includes a premises licensed to sell alcohol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only not accessible to the public, but the yard was fenced.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hard to say.

The below incident happened just two days ago.  White cop, white victims.  Officer Zatzkin just resigned because of it (allegedly).  Resigned before he could be fired.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAF3zp7-OIM
View Quote

You can tell by the look on the bald cops face at the end that he knew he fucked up
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a truly free state you have there.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

(40)"Public place" means any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access and includes, but is not limited to, streets, highways, and the common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, transport facilities, and shops.

Sec. 49.02.  PUBLIC INTOXICATION.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

(a-1)  For the purposes of this section, a premises licensed or permitted under the Alcoholic Beverage Code is a public place.

(b)  It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the alcohol or other substance was administered for therapeutic purposes and as a part of the person's professional medical treatment by a licensed physician.

(c)  Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

He was so convinced he was right too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There was an episode of Live PD shot in the county around Springfield, MO where a cop pulled someone over for only having one license plate.

The guy explained that he and the car were from a state that only issued one plate. The cop told him that didn't matter, Missouri required two plates.

Some cops are only cops because they have allergies so they can't be the town Dog Catcher.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that at all. You abide the laws of the state you are in not the state you came from.

Montana has reasonable and prudent as the speed limit during the day while I was growing up, should Montana residents have been allowed to drive over the posted speed limit in other states because in their home state they were allowed to?

Or motorcycles don't need insurance in Washington, so should they have to if they ride to Idaho or Oregon?

@Mech2007
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#24]
This guy is going around CA baiting police to say factually wrong statements.

"YOU WANNA GET SILLY WE CAN GET SILLY!!" FIRST AMENDMENT AUDIT

He is annoying as hell but knows where the line is drawn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that at all. You abide the laws of the state you are in not the state you came from.

Montana has reasonable and prudent as the speed limit during the day while I was growing up, should Montana residents have been allowed to drive over the posted speed limit in other states because in their home state they were allowed to?

Or motorcycles don't need insurance in Washington, so should they have to if they ride to Idaho or Oregon?

@Mech2007
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was an episode of Live PD shot in the county around Springfield, MO where a cop pulled someone over for only having one license plate.

The guy explained that he and the car were from a state that only issued one plate. The cop told him that didn't matter, Missouri required two plates.

Some cops are only cops because they have allergies so they can't be the town Dog Catcher.

@Mech2007

It’s not about what it should be in your mind, it’s about what the reality is. That reality is many laws and requirements for a vehicle to be road legal are based on where the vehicle is registered, not where it’s currently being driven.

States all have agreements with eachother regarding such things.

Same reason you don’t need a drivers license for every state you want to drive in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@Mech2007
View Quote

NYS used to require that pickups be registered as commercial vehicles while in TX they can be passenger or commercial. Does that mean that if someone from TX was pulled over in NYS that they could have been ticketed for not having a valid registration? What about tint? every state has different tint laws
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In the three academies I have attended the legal instruction was all about broad topics, ie 4th amendment, probable cause etc.  zero instruction on any specific laws.  All of that specific statutory stuff was expected for you to learn on your own during the field training program.
View Quote

Not the case in NY.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@Mech2007
View Quote

@Kolat

Nothing personal, but that has got to be one of the dumber responses I've seen on Arfcom in a LONG time, and since we're just coming out of an election cycle, that's saying something.

So, you think the guy should have made himself a new license plate when he crossed the border into Missouri so that he could have two plates? What are you, a Sovereign Citizen or something?

If his state issues one plate, where the fuck is he supposed to pull a second plate from when he crossed the state border???

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fired him.  Good start.  Now about the kidnapping charges, etc?
View Quote

Exactly.
There is no such thing as a good cop when they won't just do a probable cause arrest on the officer as soon as it's clear this officer commited assault and kidnap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The deputy who arrested a Black man for collecting signatures in Calhoun County earlier this month has been fired, according to the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Department.

So, is the fact that the victim is black the only reason anybody gives a shit about false arrest, or would you have fired him for arresting a white guy?
View Quote

The problem is only black people have figured out cops are not our friends. Too many white people are clinging to the thin blue line BS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It takes a real retard to blame all cops or any other group for the sins of one fool. We are about individual responsibility and accountability. He got what he had coming.
View Quote

He's not in jail so no he didn't.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He's not in jail so no he didn't.
View Quote

I don't think cops get jailed for false/illegal arrest anymore
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"We hold ourselves to high standards of professionalism to the communities we protect," writes the sheriff's department. "When we are right, we are right. When we are wrong, we admit we are wrong.

If all police adopted this attitude they would be much better off.

View Quote

Yes, but there should be a follow-up of criminal proceedings against an officer who violates the 1st amendment as well as the 4th.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This guy is going around CA baiting police to say factually wrong statements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMFNt-xSBU

He is annoying as hell but knows where the line is drawn.
View Quote

Those are the guys I don't like. Probability that they are a dirtbag in real life is very high.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#36]
There are some serious dumb fucking police officers in these videos.  Just saying.  Know the fucking law, what you can and cannot do, and take your ego out of it.  Would be a much easier experience for all.  

I have to say I work for a good agency, and when we fuck up, we own it.  We have arrested our own many times, we don't wait for another agency to get involved.  You get a DUI on or off duty?   You are fired.  Doesn't matter if you are convicted or not.  Do something criminal that is a breach of the peace, or is a dishonesty issue?   You are fired.  

It's not that hard.  Hold your people accountable, and they will be.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I feel for police.

The real problem is the legislature and the ever-increasing number of laws.
View Quote
@WhyTanFox

No, it's not.  There have been more laws than a person could keep in their head for at least a couple hundred years.  Complex societies need complex laws for very specific, technical reasons.  

The problem is a cop enforcing a law he wasn't trained on but 'learned' watching TV and movies.  

If some guy who watched every episode of ER and Greys Anatomy tries to 'help' someone by doing surgery on them, is the problem that there is an ever-increasing amount of medical procedures?   No.  Its a person doing something beyond their training.

Encounter something that you aren't solidly familiar with the legality?  Call your supervisor and get more information.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There are some serious dumb fucking police officers in these videos.  Just saying.  Know the fucking law, what you can and cannot do, and take your ego out of it.  Would be a much easier experience for all.  

I have to say I work for a good agency, and when we fuck up, we own it.  We have arrested our own many times, we don't wait for another agency to get involved.  You get a DUI on or off duty?   You are fired.  Doesn't matter if you are convicted or not.  Do something criminal that is a breach of the peace, or is a dishonesty issue?   You are fired.  

View Quote

Thank you for being a good police officer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I feel for police.

The real problem is the legislature and the ever-increasing number of laws.
View Quote

They charged this guy for felony resisting.  If it wasn't for the video, he'd most likely be convicted.  

I don't feel sorry for cops that make up charges just to jam a guy up.  They should serve the sentence that the guy would have been convicted of.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but that's admin level shit. What about for face to face interactions with the public? Have y'all ever arrested an officer for violating a person's rights out on the street?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The deputy who arrested a Black man for collecting signatures in Calhoun County earlier this month has been fired, according to the Calhoun County Sheriff's Department.

So, is the fact that the victim is black the only reason anybody gives a shit about false arrest, or would you have fired him for arresting a white guy?
View Quote

I'd have fired him for arresting a white guy, black guy, or a purple guy.

In fact, purple is a good example here.  Cops seem to key in on what is DIFFERENT, and while that might be a good start for uncovering criminal behavior it seems that's where most of them stop. You are different, therefore I need your ID.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@Mech2007
View Quote

Think, just a little bit.

Florida has no vehicle inspections. Do I get ticketed or arrested in Virginia for failure to display an inspection sticker if I drive my Florida-registered car to Richmond? Florida requires (and issues) only one tag per vehicle. Does this mean that it is impossible to lawfully drive a Florida-registered car through a two-tag state?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What the hell is a tenants association? Trying to get free housing?
View Quote

Communism

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It takes a real retard to blame all cops or any other group for the sins of one fool. We are about individual responsibility and accountability. He got what he had coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This video only makes me more anticop. this guy was a retard.

It does.

But it also takes a real retard to see hundreds of examples of one fool doing something wrong and another cop or cops just standing there backing him up and then conclude that there's NOT a problem.

And to be clear, cops are people, and cops make mistakes for good reasons and bad reasons.  The problem is, not only do we have a long list of cops making mistakes, that also lines up with cops who face no repercussions, or the repercussions are well below the severity of the mistake.  THAT is what upsets people.  In two of the cases here, it looks like there are at least SOME repercussions.  Are they enough?  Me, personally, I think that 'enough' isn't going to start kicking in until if there's a financial hit to the town, part of that is bounced back to the original officer.  Something like, if we have to settle for an action you've done, you have to pay 10% up to a max of half your salary.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good fire.
View Quote
I agree.

Do you think the partner who sat there and didn't stop the clear 1st amendment violation should face any sort of repercussion?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

3.  Staffing pressures in some departments mean they get the bottom 10% of that population.

All that combines to mean that depending on where you contact a PO, you are speaking to someone with a room temp IQ and emotional problems who only knows that he is supposed to dominate an interaction with someone who is probably smarter than he is.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Police are like public school teachers.  The good ones are sought after, get better pay and continuing education, and wind up in the kinds of places a person would want to work.  At the other end, the result isn't happy.

A great PO or a great public school teacher are an asset to those they serve.  Bad ones are a problem waiting to be solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can there be tens of thousands of cops who both are totally ignorant of constitutional law, and also bold-faced liars?

I think this is PART of the problem, yes - you aren't working with extremely intelligent people and the training leaves something to be desired.  However, in the public sector if an employee does something stupid, they are much more likely to face the direct financial consequences of the decision.  Bob's landscaping crew is also made up of room temperature IQ with emotional problems as well.  But if employee X pulls out to the chainsaw and wanders over to the neighbor's yard and starts cutting down trees - he's going to get fired AND likely personally held financially liable (although the neighbor is likely to sue the company who hired Mr X as well)  and if employee Y eggs on X, or laughs and just sits back and watches the mess X is starting, employee Y is likely to get fired as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How tf does a cop not know the law?
"My job is to enforce the law......I don't have to know what the law is...as long as I enforce it"

Same thing holds - if you haven't learned it during your field training, you probably should look it up and read it.  If you can't find it or after reading it don't have a clear understanding - better ask someone else before simply jumping right to 'arrest!'
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Why the confusion? The upper limit on IQ for hiring standards is actually real.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why the confusion? The upper limit on IQ for hiring standards is actually real.
View Quote

After a google search all I can find is one single court case where apparently the courts were OK with it because a single PD applied it to everyone and some guy who scored near Mensa territory was DQ'ed...

Is that all you got?

Its not hiring standards, by any stretch of the imagination... maybe for that one department and this was from the 90's. Hardly a recent case.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top