Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Push button starter
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#2]
i had a '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser with pushbutton auto...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.  Back in high school I drove my friends 1956 Chrysler New Yorker a few times.
It also had a vacuum tube radio with auto tune that was operated by tapping a push button on the floor (not the high beam switch) with your foot to change the station.
It was the first vehicle that I was in that reached 100mph - I'm surprised I ever made it out of my younger years alive....

Here's an internet grab of the interior, same color and everything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/162328_Interior_Web_jpg-1792294.JPG
View Quote
My dad had the same car when I was 10-13. He drove it from SoCal to West Virginia to pick me up for visitation in 1973 in it. I have good memories of the road trip back in that car.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
In the biz, we call that SBW - shift by wire.  And ya got your button, lever or knob variety.

Newest one is a knob that will rise up out of your mid console after doing a finger print scan.  It's crazy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes my fist car was a 1965 Renault Dauphine. Had an electric motor that shifted the manual transmission and a electric  clutch.
Cool story bro the clutch wouldn't engage took it to dealer.
They charged me for removal of engine to repair.
Many years later I worked as a mechanic with the guy that did the repair.
He laughed and said all they did was clean the contact plates through the access cover.
He made good money fixing those cars.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was a kid my buddy's mom would take us places in her Dodge and push buttons on the dash to go forward or backwards.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
My first car was a 1963 Plymouth Valiant.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So much cost and mechanical linkage that is unnecessary, you're still just telling the computer what gear to put the transmission in. Do it with $1 worth of backlit switches vs multiple dollars worth of bent metal, sliding components, pins, gates, etc to enforce a shift pattern and link it to the brake pedal. All of that linkage also can't collapse cleanly during a crash, decreasing the safety of the vehicle.

Kharn
View Quote

Why couldn't a column shift be a twisting stalk just like the wiper/washer or signal stalk? No need for mechanical linkages in 2020
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#9]
My 57 Plymouth Savoy has an air cooled 2 speed Powerflite transmission with push button shifter.  It's cable operated,  not electric like the new cars.  It's as reliable as an anvil.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Push button starter
View Quote

I used to have to drive one you pushed with your foot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why couldn't a column shift be a twisting stalk just like the wiper/washer or signal stalk? No need for mechanical linkages in 2020
View Quote

They exist in the commercial truck market where (my guess) cost/efficiency are more important that style.

I have a column shifter in my vehicle which is fine but all the new pickups I've been looking at, once you hit the nicer trim levels, you're stuck with a console shifter. Since I only use it at the very beginning and end of any trip, I'd much prefer buttons or anything small and out of the way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I traded a CB350 Honda to a guy for a 1960 Dodge Matador with a 361 4bbl, and a push button transmission when I was 14.

My parents were not pleased at all when I drove it home and parked it in their driveway....it would leak about a quart of oil/transmission fluid every other day..... I'd fire it up, and play with the power windows and radio.....and drive it around the neighborhood when they weren't home....took the tag off our boat trailer and put it on the back ....... I even had everything I needed circled in the JC Whitney catalog to "fix it up"

One day I came home from school, and it was gone...... my dad gave me 250.00 and told me to never do anything like that again.

The oil stains on the driveway at our old house are still visible via satellite imagery

Like this.....but red/white

https://i.redd.it/cqgepdjg17pz.jpg
View Quote
My best friend in HS had the same car (Same red and white as yours too) back in the late 70's.  One of the fun things about those too was that they had pretty much push button everything!  When he'd stop to back a beer run we'd press every damn button on the dash (It wouldn't do anything with the key out) and when he got back in a started her up the whole damn car came "alive".  'used to freak him out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll stick with my column shifter with fold up armrest, you never know when you'll need to seat three in the front or lay a long gun on the seat next to you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Edsel cars had them too.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember? I still have one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Column shift master race. So much room in the Yukon you never notice it being there.
View Quote
Yep.
Quoted:

So much cost and mechanical linkage that is unnecessary, you're still just telling the computer what gear to put the transmission in. Do it with $1 worth of backlit switches vs multiple dollars worth of bent metal, sliding components, pins, gates, etc to enforce a shift pattern and link it to the brake pedal. All of that linkage also can't collapse cleanly during a crash, decreasing the safety of the vehicle.

Kharn
View Quote
The only mechanical linkage I'm aware of on a modern column shifter is the parking sprag, and even that might be gone now. The reason column and console shifters are the best is that they are intuitive (pretty much the same in every vehicle) and they have mechanical feedback (you know whether you're in Park or Drive by feel). Push button and dial shifters work, but they aren't as good from a UI standpoint.

By the way, the dial shifter that Ram uses has a brake interlock (knob is 'locked' in park until the brake is pressed, might lock you out of park or rev while moving too, not sure on that). In that way, it is superior to the push button systems in that you at least have physical feedback that it isn't going to do anything.

Lucky for both of us, I can buy a car that makes sense to put into gear, and you can buy whatever you want.

JMO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Say hello to my Allison transmission, I've had that for years

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I had two '62 Rambler Classics. The 2 dr was three on the tree, the wagon was push button auto.  Why I bought the second one I don't know, but I was 16 and had two cars.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
64 and back mopar's had pushbuttons.
You could push start the cars that had them because they had 2 fluid pumps in the transmission.
It was one driven by the front/engine and the other driven by the drive shaft.
That is why you can't push start a modern automatic. They deleted it to save money and for room for the slip yoke in the back.
In 1965, it was basically the same transmission shifting but it was done with a column shifter or the shifter in the center console.
But that was the first year for the slip yoke instead of the ball and trunion shaft.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Lots of cars going this way. Makes me wonder why. Same with parking brakes. Starting to lose a lot of direct driver control of things...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Either a Nash Rambler or a Rambler American, or a Nash Rambler  American,  I don't know, I didn't drive it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#22]
My first truck, 61 dodge d-100.

Bought it from my grandpa for $200

Push button and a slant 6. Wish I had it today, they're worth a small fortune.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That makes so much more sense then the giant dildo in every car.
View Quote

Do you even know what it was doing before? Yeah let’s make every fucking thing electronic so no one can even think about working on their own shit and it’s not meant to last 10 years because we sourced all the solenoids from China. Wtf was wrong with a cable moving the valve body?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Back in the day I inherited a 1964 Dodge 440 that belonged to my Dad's uncle that had push button drive. Thought that this was coolest thing ever.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59159/DSCF0397__1__jpg-1792251.JPG

View Quote

A girl I dated in high school had a Dodge or Plymouth with the push button gear selector. I think it was a Swinger, but I can't recall.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

On the ZF transmissions used in many telehandlers, that is just what the gear change (gear range, rather) control is.
A stalk moving for and aft for forward and reverse, and a rotary selector for gear ranges.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In the biz, we call that SBW - shift by wire.  And ya got your button, lever or knob variety.

Newest one is a knob that will rise up out of your mid console after doing a finger print scan.  It's crazy.
View Quote

Wow. Seems like a fun idea - on paper.

Doesn't work during the winter.

What model is that anyway? I'm curious about the execution.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What's the little slider button on the right for?
View Quote

Your other right?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Floor ones were high beams, weren't they?
View Quote

Floor ones what?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh yes, my parents had a 1963 Chrysler Newport with the push button transmission.
I always liked the taillights, reminded me of a jet rocking afterburners  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a 64 Dodge Dart with the push button shifter!  It had bucket seat and was a good vehicle.  Drove it to Alaska in 1970 and had it up here for several years before selling it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Say hello to my Allison transmission, I've had that for years

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148425/IMGL4086_jpg-1793576.JPG
View Quote

Looks like the same transmission setup in a LMTV.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Floor ones what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Floor ones were high beams, weren't they?

Floor ones what?

He's talking about the floor-mounted dimmer switch that they had in older cars.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your other right?

View Quote

No, there's clearly a button on the RIGHT, that looks like it could be a slider.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, there's clearly a button on the RIGHT, that looks like it could be a slider.

https://www.thedrive.com/content-b/message-editor%2F1576088471496-2021-chevrolet-tahoe-017.jpg?quality=60
View Quote
Not a button, it is fixed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top