BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This. I actually think Harry's is slicker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cremo - in the tube.  Slick as snot.  

This. I actually think Harry's is slicker.
We need Project Farm to do a test
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Proraso is good stuff.  Tube is good but I usually end up with the red or green bowl.  Lasts forever.
View Quote

Green bowl.
I sometimes let the greenie float in the sink in hot water, to make it easy to load the brush.

Heat up ya brush in hot waterfor atleast 10 mins, softens the bristles, alil dab of hot water in the bowl, lather that bitch up and paint ya face.
Besure to soften the face furs with a hot towel.

This is a slipper slope my friend, once you figure it out, skys the limit on the brushes, razors and soaps you will buy.
My bathroom cabinet looks like a barber shops closet.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Stirling Soap /thread.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dont go over board hipster, just get Proraso.

That said, your old lady likely bought you a shit Chinese DE razor if it came in a kit.  Not going to be like a late 50s Gillette
View Quote

Yeah she got me a GSB kit from amazon. The blades were garbage a spoon would cut better. The razor is fine its nothing fancy but I like the longer handle over the Van Der Hagen I was using.  the cup, brush, and Stand are really nice as well.   I like the feel of the brush but like I said in the OP the soap doesnt seem that great So i want to try other stuff.

Ill pick up a different razor eventually  but this one works fine with quality blades
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah she got me a GSB kit from amazon. The blades were garbage a spoon would cut better. The razor is fine its nothing fancy but I like the longer handle over the Van Der Hagen I was using.  the cup, brush, and Stand are really nice as well.   I like the feel of the brush but like I said in the OP the soap doesnt seem that great So i want to try other stuff.

Ill pick up a different razor eventually  but this one works fine with quality blades
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont go over board hipster, just get Proraso.

That said, your old lady likely bought you a shit Chinese DE razor if it came in a kit.  Not going to be like a late 50s Gillette

You need a RazoRock Game Changer .84
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Barbasol shaving cream.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Taylor of Old Bond Street.
View Quote
I try different things, but always come back to this.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stirling Soap /thread.
View Quote

Bam
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The real GSB is the Gillette Silver Blue blade.  Perfection, buy some off ebay.  Made in Russia actually
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Try shaving with no cream right out of a hot shower.  No razor burn and close shave.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You need a RazoRock Game Changer .84
View Quote

Out of stock but I see others on there that look nice
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Stirling Soap is owned by a prior Army intel guy right?  He hooked me up on an order, & Margaritas in the Arctic is a solid banger.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stirling Soap /thread.
View Quote

Soooo many scents lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I just use dial bar soap in the shower.  Works fine and it’s cheap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stirling Soap is owned by a prior Army intel guy right?  He hooked me up on an order, & Margaritas in the Arctic is a solid banger.

View Quote
They're good people, they always throw in a sample or two of something else when I order. Margaritas in the Arctic is my favorite scent, I'll wear the aftershave like cologne when I get dressed up. Their synthetic shave brushes are solid too, I've got one of the green bands.

i use Arko if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just wet the stick of arko and rub it on my face and then hit it with the wet brush and it explodes into a lather.

Sometimes I just use Barbasol too but it's not as slick as the shave soaps.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Soooo many scents lol
View Quote

My current line up to include aftershave splash and balm:

Varen
Island Man
Bay Rum
Mountain Man
Ozark Mountain
Ben Franklin
Bay Rum
Barbershop
Evergreen Forest
Frozen Tundra
Gatlinburg

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Start with this ...

Proraso
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought OP meant shaving in the shower. I shave in the shower, with water and a razer. Nothing fancy required.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Kell’s Original. Owned/made by an Arfcommer.

My all time favorite is Speick. I go back and forth between Speick and Kell’s. I have a shave stick of each next to my bathroom sink right now. I get a better shave with Speick but not by much and I like the variety of scents offered by Kell.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Bath and body works had a sale 6 or 7 years ago on their men's shave cream.   I bought 6 tubes.   I am still working on going through those.

Fwiw, I shave once a week the night before I go to work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Proraso
Nevea (imported from Germany)
vander Hagen shave butter and soap
Gillette Pure shave cream

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stirling Soap /thread.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If I were to make a blind stab, I'd go for the Proraso. I like the Proraso green aftershave, so I guess they know what they're doing. To have one on hand while you look, get the Mitchell's Wool Fat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Try shaving with no cream right out of a hot shower.  No razor burn and close shave.
View Quote

I would need skin grafts after that.

I use Neutrogena shave cream.  It's incredible how slick it is.  It comes in a tube like OP asked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Also
ems place
D h arlington

It takes a little practice to get the water right in the brush
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a shaving mirror in the shower and just do the hot shower and shave at the end. Basically been doing this for over 20 years and has always worked fine for me... but I have had a beard or goatee for almost all of those years so I only shave a small portion of my face.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

What I use as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My current line up to include aftershave splash and balm:

Varen
Island Man
Bay Rum
Mountain Man
Ozark Mountain
Ben Franklin
Bay Rum
Barbershop
Evergreen Forest
Frozen Tundra
Gatlinburg

View Quote

Ordered 2 sample pucks Ramblin man and Margaritas in the Arctic
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I did the Taylor's, which was ok. I did Blades Grim, which was about the same.
I also used several pucks, and the key to using those is to let them sit in hot water for a few minutes and then drain the water off. Kind of a PITA, so I stopped using those completely.
I tried Bigelow, along with Somerset's oil. Shaves great. Get a good brush, that helps a lot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Soooo many scents lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stirling Soap /thread.

Soooo many scents lol

Mountain man, glacial lemon chill, executive man. Shave 2-3 times without relathering from the fat content.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
shave in the shower
just rub some shampoo on my face when washing my hair and shave,am I missing out on something??
View Quote

yep, just rub some Ivory bar soap on the face and grab whatever cheap disposable razor is in the shower.  Has worked for over 30 years.

Never knew shaving was so complicated for some fellas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#33]
@ThePontificator

OP, I just started wet shaving a couple months ago.

+1 for Stirling Soap. I use Executive Man scent. I like it. Havent tried others yet but right now I see no need to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#34]
...all the poors raw dog shaving with water/ivory soap...probably splash on hydrogen peroxide for aftershave too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Kell.
Thank me later.
View Quote
This - He's a member here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yep, just rub some Ivory bar soap on the face and grab whatever cheap disposable razor is in the shower.  Has worked for over 30 years.

View Quote

who knew Manuel Noriega had an account here?

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kell.
Thank me later.
View Quote

Out of business.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They're good people, they always throw in a sample or two of something else when I order. Margaritas in the Arctic is my favorite scent, I'll wear the aftershave like cologne when I get dressed up. Their synthetic shave brushes are solid too, I've got one of the green bands.

i use Arko if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just wet the stick of arko and rub it on my face and then hit it with the wet brush and it explodes into a lather.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree...Rod and Mandy are great people. Their product and selection are second to none. I love the Barber Shop scent. Reminds me of my grandpas. I have a ton of their stuff and have not been disappointed with any of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
shave in the shower
just rub some shampoo on my face when washing my hair and shave,am I missing out on something??

Not complicated per say. A base model camry will get you where you need to go but a Mercedes is a nicer trip. Sometimes the right process makes a chore a joy
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I just buy a big bottle of Suave conditioner at the big box store for $2.29 and use it for two years.  Just rub it in. Slick as shit and conditions the skin.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Barbasol for 50 years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Proraso is good stuff.  Tube is good but I usually end up with the red or green bowl.  Lasts forever.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Regular soap, while I’m in the shower.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:20:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Really any European shave cream or soap. Just be sure to heat the testicles and shaft with a warm cloth before beginning to shave. I usually wrap them with a wet towel from the microwave before I start to trim the beehive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#45]
This place now reeks of hipsters and bears oil.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
shave in the shower
View Quote

Just a bunch of manscaping fagotry. BTW I do the same,sometimes I use conditioner instead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Taylor of Old Bond Street.
View Quote

Have used this for years. Pro Raso is my top pick. I've got some now from the Art of Shaving. Works well but the smell was supposed to be "bourbon." It damn sure isnt.

Pro Raso is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd go for barrister and mann reserve lavender but there's a bunch of other good stuff here

have at it:

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/samples/
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Just note that one puck lasts a VERY long time, can easily last you a year.  No need to go out and buy something boring, get some samples or get something nice
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top