Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Streamlight microstream has been in my pocket for 5 years or more now. Not super bright... really not bright at all but good enough for daily tasks. Not going to blind anyone and not a tactical flashlight. But finding dropped things, working on car, walking up stairs in dark, getting key into door lock... everyday tasks that require more light. Its the light I can easily forget I am have in my pocket until I need it. Its been abused too and still doing fine. Single AAA battery, last a long time, doesn't fade as battery is depleted and replacements batteries are readily available.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a zebralight I've carried every day for 6 years. It's an older AA model, but it puts out plenty of light and I'd bet the newer models are even brighter.

I've had smaller lights, but they don't last. Typically the clicker goes out. I can't stand the lights that require a bezel twist because one-handed operation is nearly impossible.

My old zebralight has been submerged, dropped, run over (twice), and left in the yard for several days. Not to mention daily carry and use.  It just keeps going.

Ive owned olights and they're junk IMO. Surefire doesn't offer the form factor I want. I've had decent luck with larger Fenix models, but their smaller lights always fail on me.  Streamlight dual fuel 1aa is the next best imo, but they havent replaced my zebralight.

Here's my edc.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Streamlight Micro or Macrotech.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a fenix AAA, was good but not great.  

Have had a roxy von for around 8 months.

Yeah sure, china. But it kicks ass. 600 advertised lumens.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have carried one of these for years with zero complaints:

Amazon Product
  • Solid and Compact : ThruNite Ti3 AAA Keychain Flashlight [ max 120 Lumens; max beam distance 50m] with aluminum type III hard anodized.
  • Brightness Levels : 3 light modes with extra strobe. firefly: 0.04 lm(115h), low: 12 lm(6.3h), high: 120lm(0.5h), strobe:120lm(1 hour).
  • Easy to Carry: Usually attached on key ring use, the pocket clip is 2 ways reversible, allowing for hat brim attachment.

But I recently upgraded to one of these, which isn't much bigger, but it's brighter and USB rechargable. It has been great too. The O-ring that seals around the USB port sliding hood thing tore recently though and I need to get a replacement:

Amazon Product
  • features & benefits: usb rechargeable, bright mini LED flashlight 250 lumens (high) run 3
  • This product meets customer requirement
  • Product is easy to use

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have carried one of these for years with zero complaints:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUO028U

But I recently upgraded to one of these, which isn't much bigger, but it's brighter and USB rechargable. It has been great too. The O-ring that seals around the USB port sliding hood thing tore recently though and I need to get a replacement:

www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLZXZV1
View Quote

Those two together are what I EDC in my pack. The big deal about the Thrunite is they do moonlight/firefly/whatever mode, and will run for a week like that.

Where ever I spend the night when traveling I'll turn it on and set it next to the bed. Always enough light to find it and generally see around without keeping you awake.

I have a dry cabin with no power and use several thrunites in place of candles at night, works great and no worries about starting fires.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Pro tax 1l now but trying out a macro stream usb when it shows up
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Zebralight SC62 every day for the last 6 or so years. Dropped dozens of times, multiple dryer cycles, broken lens, etc, and I just can't kill it. Same 18650 battery as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got a zebralight I've carried every day for 6 years. It's an older AA model, but it puts out plenty of light and I'd bet the newer models are even brighter. Surefire doesn't offer the form factor I want. I've had decent luck with larger Fenix models, but their smaller lights always fail on me.  
View Quote

I own just about of the lights mentioned in this thread, for a smaller light just about all are junk compared to Zebralight.  Not even fucking close,  I'm going on almost nine years every day on the same SC52.  The fucking thing shouldn't even work anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Malkoff M61LLL
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use a Streamlight Protac 1L. I’d like to try their new Macrostream.
View Quote

1L-1AA dual fuel here. Great little light.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Malkoff M61LLL
View Quote

Malkoff is a great company and build some awesome shit, I've been with them from the start when Gene was doing all the production.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been eyeing the Nitecore TIKI to replace my TIP.

The TIKI even has a glow in the dark version, but that might be more trouble than it's worth if you keep your keys on a night stand.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Zebralight has gotten my attention but it looks like they are out of business maybe? I couldn't find any retailers in the quick search I made this morning.
Am I just looking in the wrong spot?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Zebralight has gotten my attention but it looks like they are out of business maybe? I couldn't find any retailers in the quick search I made this morning.
Am I just looking in the wrong spot?
View Quote

Gotta order directly through them if I remember correctly.

Their website is pretty basic, but they do have a spreadsheet that lays out dimensions, output, battery type. So that's pretty useful.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Gotta order directly through them if I remember correctly.

Their website is pretty basic, but they do have a spreadsheet that lays out dimensions, output, battery type. So that's pretty useful.
View Quote

Cool, thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been carrying an older Four Sevens Quark for about 5 years now. It works. I'd really like to get into a modlite handheld though.
View Quote

Me 2,

J-
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Why not just get a replacement clip?
https://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tactical-parts.html

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you the OP's wife? Because this is the kind of thing an OP's wife would say.

Losing a pocket clip is a perfectly legitimate reason to buy another light, even if you have 31 others that still have their clips, in much the same way that a left over AR trigger guard roll pin is a perfectly legitimate reason to build another AR.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Streamlight microstream is solid. AAA battery and one brightness setting.

That said, I think you get more features/bang for your buck with Fenix as opposed to streamlight. But, I think streamlight are made better.

ALSO, have you tried emailing fenix for a replacement? Their customer service is top notch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#21]

This.  It replaced the old AAA version I carried for years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, their 1L's and 2L's are my steady go-to...just ordered another ProTac 2L-X , 500lumen  , $52 shipped

FleaBay Link
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you the OP's wife? Because this is the kind of thing an OP's wife would say.

Losing a pocket clip is a perfectly legitimate reason to buy another light, even if you have 31 others that still have their clips, in much the same way that a left over AR trigger guard roll pin is a perfectly legitimate reason to build another AR.
View Quote

You toss your ar because of a broken pin. I'm all for buying more stuff but why discard a decent light because of a clip? Just add it to your cart when buying moar thingz.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry a PD25. Not too expensive. Fits easily in my front pocket. 550 lumens with different settings. I use the Fenix brand rechargeable batteries, but can also use 123's.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/pd25-fenix-flashlight/
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got the OG AAA Microstream that has been going strong for years. Thinking about getting the new Macrostream though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I looked for one, but their website is fenixlighting.com. I even emailed them a while ago and never got a response. I went ahead and ordered an extra clip, but a very generous member in this thread, seek2, has already sent me several of his old LD10's!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Ordered my Zebralight(s) direct on the 18th.  USPS finally updated tracking, should arrive on Monday the 25th.  Not the fastest shipping ever, but 1 week is hard to really bitch about - I was really fearing it was coming direct from China when the label was printed on the 19 and it was not picked up till the 22nd.  I really don't understand companies that print the label before they are ready to ship.  I got one shipment from the week after Thanksgiving earlier this week - they printed the label more than a month ago it seems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#28]

The Zebralight came in today.  Thought I would post this comparison - as it was significantly smaller than I expected.  First light is a P6 Led.  That is a 2 cr123 light, but effectively the same size as as a 18650 (I have bored out tubes in P6 clones).  The second is the Zebralight 600 (technically 604, but looks the same from this image) - it is also a 18650 light.  The remaining 2 are the 4Sevens Quark and Prion CR123 lights.  The zebralight is tiny for a 18650 light.

I am not going to bother with beamshots - as the P6 has a Malkoff drop in, and I have no clue how old the batteries are in the 4Sevens anymore.  Plus since this is a 604, it is a full flood (no hot spot - relatively little throw - but will light up an entire room.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used to carry a small Fenix flashlight in my pocket for a long time. I snagged the pocket clip on a seatbelt one day and snapped it. Unfortunately I can't find a replacement for it, so I need another light. I've been looking at Streamlight and Surefire and don't see anything that really blows my hair back. The new Fenix offerings aren't that exciting either.

And post pics if you got em. I'll snap some pics of my lights here in a minute. I have a well worn Fenix keychain light that gave up after years of living on my keychain that I need to replace too. Is there a flashlight thread somewhere on this site? We need one if we don't already have one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361805/2F1F7CB1-3571-4AB0-A15F-5E528DBBCCFD_jpe-1789738.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361805/8AA629A7-74E2-485F-8FC5-805E911E2BA7_jpe-1789739.JPG
View Quote

You might be able to keep up carrying your old light: I ended up carrying my SF 3v Aviator in a Yellowbirch PocKit Modern Carry pouch, within my back left pocket, because the clip and tailcap switch were wearing out and tearing up my pants quickly.

I'm also now averse to relying on pocket clipped knives, after having a nice Benchmade walk away on a friendly Cane Corso's collar...twice.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Surefire titan is the best
View Quote

That's what I carry daily, Titan Plus.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59539/image_2_-1797143.jpg
The Zebralight came in today.  Thought I would post this comparison - as it was significantly smaller than I expected.
View Quote

I would be willing to bet you are going to be quite happy with the Zebralight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been carrying a Streamlight Microstream around for about a year now, I like it.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#33]
The 604 is working out great for its intended purpose.  I have a bad habit of not feeding certain "pets" until after dark.  It makes feeding the chickens and horses much easier.  Feeding the livestock however is done with a tractor or loader - so I am still doing that mostly during the day.  That said, the tractor and loader both have pretty decent onboard lights - I have planted in the dark before (GPS guidance is wonderful)...
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Streamlight microstream 100ish lumens (2xAAA).  Great for everyday use.  I've got a surefire with a pocket clip around here somewhere (600ish lumens).

Next one will probably be the streamligth protac 1L.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would go with the protac, but I hate the ribs on the head of the light. On the Protac weaponlights it makes the heads unnecessarily large, and on the pocket models they look like they will snag/chew up pockets. The little microstream is nice but only 45 lumens.

Actually the Surefire backup looks decent and isn't stupid money. I agree that the scout lights are overpriced for their output when you look at stuff from Cloud and Modlite now.

At this point, I'd rather not buy from made in China. Which prompted me to look, and Streamlight is made in China.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I would go with the protac, but I hate the ribs on the head of the light. On the Protac weaponlights it makes the heads unnecessarily large, and on the pocket models they look like they will snag/chew up pockets. The little microstream is nice but only 45 lumens.

Actually the Surefire backup looks decent and isn't stupid money. I agree that the scout lights are overpriced for their output when you look at stuff from Cloud and Modlite now.

Quoted:
BLF A6. Designed by the guys over at Budget Light Forum. 7 mode, with switchable mode memory

$27 each. Buy 3 or 4. You'll want a few laying around and they are perfect gifts.

They ship from Banggood in China, so it takes 30-45 days to arrive.

1600-lumens (with a spring mod) - slightly less without.

Make sure you have high-draw (20A) 18650's.

At this point, I'd rather not buy from made in China. Which prompted me to look, and Streamlight is made in China.

Wrong. Streamlight has two lines, some Chinese and some USA.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#36]

This. Carried every day for two years now. I just throw it on the charger once a month or so to make sure it's topped off. Probably the most used piece in my EDC.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The 604 is working out great for its intended purpose.  I have a bad habit of not feeding certain "pets" until after dark.  It makes feeding the chickens and horses much easier.  Feeding the livestock however is done with a tractor or loader - so I am still doing that mostly during the day.  That said, the tractor and loader both have pretty decent onboard lights - I have planted in the dark before (GPS guidance is wonderful)...
View Quote
I think you'll carry it for a long while.  The build quality is outstanding.

Me personally, I prefer lithium or alkaline batteries for my flashlights...just easier to replace as needed.  I've got some rechargeable batt flashlights, but don't like how temps affect their longevity or ease of replacement (can't buy a pack at walmart and put them in the drawer).
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The new Macrostream is great.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Another +1 for the Microstream USB. Carried a AAA Microstream for a long time. The USB version is epically bright in comparison. The bronze one is high/low, the other colors are low/high.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Yup, that exact one. Same color.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yup, that exact one. Same color.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I also vote for this light. Been carrying it daily for several months. Bright enough and won't break the piggy bank.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Anybody try one of these? They get really good reviews. Programmable for like 12 different modes. But I'd in all probability just go for #12 (1-mode for 1000 lumens claimed but more like 700)

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_44141.html

18650 battery.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?415313-Convoy-S2-measurements-
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Surefire Tactician with Lumens Factory deep pocket carry clip...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Reverses the clip so the head of the light isn’t sticking up out of your pocket.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Streamlight Microstream.  

Cheap, rechargeable and reliable.  Nuff said.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I use my light daily for EDC, hourly for work. I have a Lumintop "Tool AA 2.0". Good light for the money. I like that I can run a AA if I need too (14500). Only thing about the light I don't like is, If you need it on High for more than 5 min at a time it will get HOT. Maybe the one I have (Titanium) is part of the reason. None issue for me, I don't need 600+ lumen to see what I'm looking at. The run times are great IMHO, I use it a lot and the numbers are good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#46]
So, what do you want in your EDC light?  

Battery type? Rechargeable? Minimum-maximum output?  How many levels of output do you want?  What type of User Interface (twisty, tail-click, side button)?  Round, square?  Straight or angle head?  Headlamp function?  

Modlite and Surefire are excellent WMLs, but they are mediocre for EDC (Surefire is at least delving into new products).  Unless you need a fucking trillion-lumen searchlight, you can get far more utility out of a variable-output LED light.  

For AAA, I still have and love my old ARC LED and my older Fenix LOD-1 AAA, but both seem to be out of production.  

Favorite AA lights include the Fenix RC05, single AA, rechargeable 14500.  The pocket clip doubles as a clip to a hat for hands-free use or deep pocket carry.  Excellent UI and while the 14500 gives you maximum output it works find with other AA batteries, just not at the highest output.

Zebra light is one of my favorite AA headlamps.  Simple UI, good range of output, pretty compact.

There are a gazillion CR123 (or Li-Ion rechargeable variation) lights on the market.  It’s hard to narrow anything down.  I like Olight probably the best…

Speaking of Olight, my favorite 18650 light are Olights and they are about the maximum size for pocket carry.

While I have the Olight headlamp, ArmyTek has been a beast for me.  I own a few and have used and abused them in Afghanistan.  They’re a little bulkier and heavier for a single-band headlamp, but I love their UI and they are bombproof with some of the better electronics.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Recently got myself the Streamlight Macrostream. Great little light.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#49]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Someone posted a link to this flashlight during the latest Amazon Prime Day several months ago and I clicked the link that was provided and clicked the buy icon thanks to my cat-like reflexes and was lucky enough to acquire one before they were sold out.  I have quickly learned that the Streamlight 66608 250 lumen Microstream USB Rechargeable is indeed a wonderful flashlight that is usb rechargeable and I now wish I would have purchased several more to give as gifts.  Needless to say, the price was considerably better during Prime Day than it is now and I would buy this flashlight model again without hesitation.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top