User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Our teacher’s lounge certainly was a smoking area.  That room smelled like an ashtray just walking past it.

We had to go outside or head to the parking lot to burn one.  This was the late ‘80s.

I highly doubt that is the case today.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I graduated from high school in 2006 and we still had a smoke pit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They just vape now.
View Quote

The THC vapes are almost undetectable now.  Kids and teachers, I am sure, sneak tokes all day long, right in class...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That's where you scored your concert tickets and party favors for the concert.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
We had a smoking area in the parking lot in 81. The principal could often be seen smoking with some students there. Our drivers ed teacher smoked a pipe in the car as we did our driving. All this in rural IL. The parking lot also had several cars with guns in them for students who hunted and ran trap lines. Carrying a Buck knife was common and no one cared.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty much the woke aspect allows pot smoking, but cigarettes are cause for dismissal (unless you are a "protected" type individual).

Pubic schools are a disgrace for years, now, with history being revised and hidden, and indoctrination being the purpose.

All those who fought for THIS?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
We did still smoke with the welding teacher in the farthest back welding booth.
The welding shop was right next door to the Votech main office so we would post a lookout.
I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Where I went to high school in the mid 90's you weren't even allowed to possess tobacco at school in any form, let alone use it on school grounds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in preschool we had our smoking area right in the middle of the classroom.  That way you didn't disturb your classmates during naptime if you wanted to light up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, it's across the street off school grounds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
1982 was the last year here...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can't even bring a tiny Swiss Army knife onto a K-12 public school campus now.  When I was in high school, a Buck 110 carried on your belt was part of the standard attire for boys.  I carried one every day starting at age 15 all the way through college and my first several jobs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Graduated in 76, yes there were designated smoking areas. Now? Smoking is right up there with murder and bank robbery.
Vaping too.

You can't even bring a tiny Swiss Army knife onto a K-12 public school campus now.  When I was in high school, a Buck 110 carried on your belt was part of the standard attire for boys.  I carried one every day starting at age 15 all the way through college and my first several jobs.

Going back to the 1960's in a Catholic school (lucky me, and I lived next door, led home by the ear for round 2 of a beating more than once) all of we boys carried an inexpensive but well made Barlow Knife.
Sharpened our pencils at our desk with them.
Get caught and you had to eat the bit of wood shavings.
Come J.H.S. in 1971 we all went wild, you could chew gum, even have a cough drop without a note from your Mother!
Every girl that got knocked up was from the CS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Graduated 1987.

We had the blacktop.

Smoke, play handball and listen to Iron Maiden.

At least that what us "pot heads" did.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My high school had one my first two years, 78 to 80.

They built a new high school and the new one didn't have a smoking area my Jr and Sr years, 80 to 82.
View Quote

Around 1986 or 87 there was a smoker pit about 10 yards from the cafeteria doors.

Fenced off with benches and butt cans.

They closed it in ‘89.

The teacher’s lounge in our elementary school was a strange space.

The door was in the upper corner of the room and level with the ceiling.  It connected to a hallway that was a floor above the room itself.

Because the door was level with the high ceiling, every time you opened it, especially at lunch, a huge cloud of cigarette smoke would billow out into the hall.

It was hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Graduated in 1980. We technically couldn't smoke on school grounds, but if you went out the main entrance and stepped onto the sidewalk you were home free.

And if you couldn't wait, or the weather was crappy and you were in welding class, you could go into a booth, turn on the extractor and puff away. Tobacco or other leafy substances.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Marijuana smoke stinks too.  I'd ask what you are smoking but I think we have our answer...
View Quote

I remember back in the 70's and 80's it actually smelled good.  Really sweet.

Now, it smells like a skunk in a pit toilet in September.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
1989 They did  in my school and thats was in NJ
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top