User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The actress herself seemed to have rubbed me wrong from what little bit I know

But the movie was definitely not bad, despite all the women haters out there saying otherwise
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol

F__ O__ movie!
View Quote

The hero we need AND deserve.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
OP is normally spot on, logical, and knows what the hell he is talking about.

this is not one of those times.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It was a average Marvel Movie with a lot of insider easter eggs. I enjoyed it for it being what it was, mindless entertainment.
View Quote

That’s about where I am. I watched as part of a Marvel Movie marathon with my son. Not great, not terrible, had some amusing moments. It was not the hot garbage that some tried to make it out to be.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was whelming. I didn't hate it because it had a woman lead, I just throught it wasn't that great or interesting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#8]

So here's a pic of Brie Larson.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s about where I am. I watched as part of a Marvel Movie marathon with my son. Not great, not terrible, had some amusing moments. It was not the hot garbage that some tried to make it out to be.
View Quote

The movie itself wasn't horrible, I just didn't care for her as the lead.  Marvel has been pretty damn good at matching actors to their characters, I think they missed the mark with her though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rewriting the Skrulls as space Mexicans victimized by the MAGA Kree was BS
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I found the movie very grating, just like The Last Jedi was.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Since I've never read a comic book, I didn't notice the "huge" flaws.  Movie was better than I was expecting, not great but OK.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Her tits are fantastic, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Her "acting" was absolutely terrible.

umm she is as flat as a board on both sides
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I didn't bother watching it in the theatre, because I heard it was bad and was loaded with SJW/feminist bullshit, instead of the typical fun superhero story.

But now that I have seen it, I think that criticism is way overblown.  Sure, there was some "you go girl!" type stuff, but I didn't see it as really interfering with the story or ruining the experience for me.  It certainly didn't seem to be at the expense of tearing down other groups (like men), and it didn't seem mean-spirited.  It certainly wasn't ANYTHING like the total Mary Sue shitshow that was The Last Jedi.  Now, Brie Larson might be a gigantic bitch in real life (I have no idea), but I thought she did a perfectly acceptable job as an actress, and I thought it was a decent and entertaining superhero movie.

I had fun watching it, and that's all I really expect from a Marvel franchise superhero movie.  Not the greatest movie among the Marvel movies, but a decent solid superhero movie.  

View Quote

Kind of my impression too.  The Grrlpwr bullshit was certainly there throughout, but not overwhelmingly so.  Larson is by all accounts a raging cunt in real life, and played the character like a female Nicholas Cage.  She wasn't the best pick for that role.  Otherwise, it's a decent middle of the pack MCU movie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

She has all the acting range of a cinder block.

You know she’s awful when people here said “who is Brie Larson?” I would respond with “the woman in Kong: Skull Island,” and people who had seen Kong: Skull Island said quizzically, “there was a woman in Kong: Skull Island?”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She has all the acting range of a cinder block.

You know she’s awful when people here said “who is Brie Larson?” I would respond with “the woman in Kong: Skull Island,” and people who had seen Kong: Skull Island said quizzically, “there was a woman in Kong: Skull Island?”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found the movie very grating, just like The Last Jedi was.
View Quote

Last Jedi nearly murdered a billion dollar franchise.

Captain Marvel was simply a 3.6 Roentgen movie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I didn't bother watching it in the theatre, because I heard it was bad and was loaded with SJW/feminist bullshit, instead of the typical fun superhero story.

But now that I have seen it, I think that criticism is way overblown.  Sure, there was some "you go girl!" type stuff, but I didn't see it as really interfering with the story or ruining the experience for me.  It certainly didn't seem to be at the expense of tearing down other groups (like men), and it didn't seem mean-spirited.  It certainly wasn't ANYTHING like the total Mary Sue shitshow that was The Last Jedi.  Now, Brie Larson might be a gigantic bitch in real life (I have no idea), but I thought she did a perfectly acceptable job as an actress, and I thought it was a decent and entertaining superhero movie.

I had fun watching it, and that's all I really expect from a Marvel franchise superhero movie.  Not the greatest movie among the Marvel movies, but a decent solid superhero movie.  

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

@Aimless

whoa whoa whoa

theres space mexicans?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#19]
The last couple Avengers movies have sucked royally. Still better than the best DC movie though
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Aimless

whoa whoa whoa

theres space mexicans?
View Quote

They literally put a whale on the moon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Ignoring the SJW stuff, I thought it was easily the worst of the MCU movies. And I thought the actress did an awful job--like Anakin Skywalker bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Just ok. Better story than WW84.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#24]
My issue with her and in the Avengers movie was claiming that she is the most powerful character in the Marvel universe.
That person is clearly Scarlet Witch. Now Brie does win the "Least Assed Actress Award".
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Hmmm... I like Brie Larson more after today
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree with OP. We've watched the movie twice. Both times it was entertaining, which is all we expected. Not a fan of Brie Larson. She has a flat affect, seems unpersonable, and as others said, seemed a bit of a mismatch for the role.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoyed her attempt at on set bullying Hemsworth, over Captain Marvels superiority over Thor

also this thread needs more Goose the Flerken

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought it was solid. Didn't have as much of a heroes journey aspect but it wasn't "blink and I'm free of men holding me down" shit like Wonder Woman.

I didn't like how they portrayed the Kree and Skrulls. That was supposed to be a Vietnam allegory where both sides did atrocities in their endless war, not what they were portrayed as. They just picked the wrong modification to the wrong concept is all. They can rescue it with solid storytelling.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've watched it more than once.

Ww1984 was WAY worse
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There have been some TERRIBLE Marvel movies.  

Fantastic Four was pretty bad.  Elektra was AWFUL.  At least one of the Hulk movies was pretty bad.  I though Captain America Civil War was laughably bad.  Those are just off the top of my head.  I know some will disagree, but I though Infinity War was incredibly bad as well.  

To me, Captain Marvel was like Black Panther: A solid middle-of-the-road comic book movie, but not outstanding.  

I will agree that Larson's acting could have been a lot better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ignoring the SJW stuff, I thought it was easily the worst of the MCU movies.

There have been some TERRIBLE Marvel movies.  

Fantastic Four was pretty bad.  Elektra was AWFUL.  At least one of the Hulk movies was pretty bad.  I though Captain America Civil War was laughably bad.  Those are just off the top of my head.  I know some will disagree, but I though Infinity War was incredibly bad as well.  

To me, Captain Marvel was like Black Panther: A solid middle-of-the-road comic book movie, but not outstanding.  

I will agree that Larson's acting could have been a lot better.
Oh yes--there are definitely worse marvel movies, lol. I just meant within the MCU or Avengers movies. Everyone is going to have their opinion. Not that I want to derail the thread, but all I can think about is the hope that Filoni is going to use Ahsoka and the Veil of the Force to cancel out the sequel trilogy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
For one, not a fan of the Marvel comic book movies...

I like my superhero stories to be gritty, not a family friendly Escape to Witch Mountain silly crap. Let's say I'm more of a Watchmen type if it comes to watching a comic book being torn apart on the movie screen...

That being said, I literally watched it last week cuz I was up late working on some stuff and needed some background noise...

The storyline was stupid, the SJW jabs (Brie and her pseudo lesbian connection to her battle-buddy, Jude Law challenging Brie to a mano-a-mano fight in the end) were just annoying. And, Brie is a horrible actor. Not sure if Marvel was attempting to make a woman lead come off as a male-smart ass, but people just don't get it - the visual of a woman trying to be a dude just doesn't fly, either she's a sarcastic tough person or not...so SJW trying too hard. Charline Baltimore in Long Kiss Good Night "was" an example of a woman who is strong and snarky without "trying" to be that woman (hope that makes sense).

So, I pray Marvel will just stop. I fing hate them and their movies. The first Ironman, Thor and Captain America were ok, but the rest is just too silly, stupid and SJW. Poor, implausible stories (even for fiction).

Can't wait for Black Widow's crappy movie to come out.

BTW, Black Panther was even better than this Captain Marvel crap

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Neither the wife nor myself thought much if it. It was just not that entertaining and the story could have been done better. I don't have anything bad to say about the movie overall, it was just a 5 on a scale of 1-10. I expect more from a marvel movie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#34]
It wasnt bad.

Cheese Larsen did an okay job.    Glad to get the story that reveals what is going on at the end of Spiderman Far From Home.

But I will never own the movie nor willingly pay to see something with Chrese Larsen as a main character.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I didn't get the "evil white man" vibe that everyone was crying about, but her acting was pretty shit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

See, this is where we differ.  I thought Black Panther was hideously bad.  Black Panther made me actually regret wasting the electrons it took to make the picture show up on my TV.  The only reason I watched it the whole way through was because I kept hoping for any redeeming quality whatsoever to show up.  

None ever did.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hmmm... I like Brie Larson more after today
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#40]
It was pretty good but not great. Brie Larson is totally shagadelic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I enjoyed her attempt at on set bullying Hemsworth, over Captain Marvels superiority over Thor

also this thread needs more Goose the Flerken

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/678FA434-BC8C-4B40-AC0D-18329E706D8C-1789582.jpg

View Quote

Goose! A cool name for a cool cat.

It was pretty enjoyable, but it got to the point where there was a lot of "BOOM! GOD MODE!" power going on. (I know, it's a superhero and all, but those are some Godmode powers.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Her acting is as flat as her ass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can we make this a polling choice?

Just googled “brie larson nudes”

Lots of fakes but there are real pics. And yes they are fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It was pretty good but not great. Brie Larson is totally shagadelic.
View Quote

Ok.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I heard the Mary Sue criticism and was looking for it, and I honestly am not really seeing it.

She gets her ass kicked during training, and is criticized for not being able to control herself.
She fails completely at the first mission, and actually gets captured and interrogated.
After arriving on Earth she chases a bad guy, and completely fails to kick his ass or capture him, and he just gets away.
Throughout most of the movie she is riddled with self-doubt, and lacks confidence.
As she discovers what is really going on, she realizes that she has been totally duped, and the people she thought were her allies and friends were just manipulating her.

So there's a long list of failures and shortcomings, which is not characteristic of a Mary Sue at all, imo.

... then sure, at the end, she becomes this super-powerful hero, who can effortlessly kick ass, but that's not an uncommon story arc (and personal journey) in a super-hero story line.

I mean, if you compare that to the Last Jedi - as an example of a ridiculous Mary Sue - I honestly wouldn't describe the character as a Mary Sue.
View Quote

I should have added I think her acting skills are cringeworthy...I'm all for a good popcorn movie but just could not get into this one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#47]
She did an episode w/ Bear Grylls, I thought was pretty good. Other than that, not really impressed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Now THAT, THAT is some SOLID COPYPASTA!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
See, this is where we differ.  I thought Black Panther was hideously bad.  Black Panther made me actually regret wasting the electrons it took to make the picture show up on my TV.  The only reason I watched it the whole way through was because I kept hoping for any redeeming quality whatsoever to show up.  

None ever did.
View Quote

Black Panther was kinda fun, but I was embarrassed as hell for the Wakandans because of how ghetto they were portrayed.

1.  They are a scientifically-advanced nation.... who chooses their leader by a fist-fighting brawl.

2.  The main antagonist is a very-intelligent former US military officer with multiple degrees ..... who talks like he's a ghetto thug.

3.  The leader of one Wakandan faction tells the white CIA man to be quiet ..... by hooting at him like a gorilla or baboon.

How is that not pretty goddamn racist? I'm being completely serious, BTW.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Idk what skrulls are but this still made me laugh.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top