BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Spent 2 weeks in Zagreb and surrounding area. This would absolutely be on my short list.

Extremely western/first-world, very safe, Mediterranean climate, and stupid cheap compared to here. Restaurants & breweries/etc in Zagreb were just phenomenal; better than most US cities. You’d never have guessed the Yugoslav wars were a thing just 30 years ago.

I could live the rest of my life there if I had a job lined up and things got bad enough here.
View Quote

The only reason those wars are 30 years in the past, is because NATO and the US are still there keeping the peace.  If we pull out, the wars will start right back up.  Around 2019 we had to stop an invasion of B-H.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Costa Rica.  I have several friends that have moved there.   Love it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe Honduras since they all seem to be moving here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Estonia is right on the sea, so while I'm sure gets chilly in the winter it doesn't get North Dakota cold.
View Quote

Even if you are not sexual active, know that Estonia has a crazy high HIV rate for some reason.  "In Estonia, 1.3 percent of adults are HIV positive — the highest percentage among all the countries in the European Union. Almost half of new infections are due to injecting drug use, although sexual transmission has increased steadily since 2000"

https://www.aidshealth.org/global/estonia/#:~:text=In%20Estonia%2C%201.3%20percent%20of,has%20increased%20steadily%20since%202000
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hungary. Its beautiful in some places, cool history, the US dollar goes along ways, good looking women, they like their beer, people speak enough English, doesn't get to cold in the winter, you can own guns for self defense/sporting/hunting, and its a democracy.
View Quote

I hate that the rest of these retards keep suggesting retirement in non white countries.

Like, if shit sucks here now, why the fuck would you willingly venture into more of it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Even if you are not sexual active, know that Estonia has a crazy high HIV rate for some reason.  "In Estonia, 1.3 percent of adults are HIV positive — the highest percentage among all the countries in the European Union. Almost half of new infections are due to injecting drug use, although sexual transmission has increased steadily since 2000"

https://www.aidshealth.org/global/estonia/#:~:text=In%20Estonia%2C%201.3%20percent%20of,has%20increased%20steadily%20since%202000
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Estonia is right on the sea, so while I'm sure gets chilly in the winter it doesn't get North Dakota cold.

So, wrap it before you tap it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate that the rest of these retards keep suggesting retirement in non white countries.

Like, if shit sucks here now, why the fuck would you willingly venture into more of it.
View Quote

In lots of "non white" cultures, white is either neutral or good.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd trust your kids safety to that statement?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Costa Rica is the one place outside the USA Mrs Procat and I have discussed. Lots of random expat communities in the countryside.  Beautiful country with tons of stuff to do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look around you at what’s going on in this country and then ask me that again.

I don’t care what color skin the predominant population has. It is more about values, culture, morality, etc and in almost all aspects the US is headed in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
chile or argentina.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
chile or argentina.
View Quote

Lol. Both of these are insane suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have an income stream, that will survive leaving the US, you can live pretty well in a lot of other countries.

Quoted:

I don’t care what color skin the predominant population has. It is more about values, culture, morality, etc and in almost all aspects the US is headed in the wrong direction.
View Quote

That's why I say the Bahamas.  Every time I'm there, I realize I have lot more in common with the Bahamians and their values and culture, than with those that are prevailing in the US.

And, I'm pretty darned white.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who takes there kids with them when they retire?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#15]
My family owns land in Panama.  My mom's friend sold her business and she and her husband moved to Panama and they love it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would love to do that for Poland, but the proof required and process sounds like a bitch.
View Quote

@Sparky

It can be a challenging process. Doing it for Italy cost me about three grand and took me about ten years, all said and done. (It could have been done faster, but it was just a side project.) Lots of sending off forms and requests and waiting weeks for them to get returned.

That said, if your Polish ancestor was relatively recent, it might not be too bad. You can probably order most of the American vital records you need via VitalChek.

The plus side to the project is that my entire family--parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, etc.--could piggyback on my efforts, so now we're all recognized dual citizens. It's pretty comforting to know I don't have to worry about leaving family behind if it ever gets bad enough that we have to leave.

I view it as similar to concealed carry--I hope I never need it, but if I ever do, I'm going to be really fucking happy I jumped through the hoops when I did.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP in this particular example.  I posted on page one or two what my thoughts and suggestions for retirement places are.  Of course, the decision is his and I wish him the best in any case.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not easy or quick to get a gun license and quite restricted. I knew a few expats that had them.

If you ever used it for self defense at least you would be alive...in prison.
View Quote

How sure are you of this? Everything I've read is that it takes a while, but other than that is relatively simple to get, compared to other foreign countries. You need to be a resident, submit a DNA sample, take a drug test, and get a psychological exam. And once your firearms permit is issued, it automatically includes concealed carry. That's less restricted than Hawaii.

In terms of self defense, the main risk seems to be that Panama presumes guilt in court, and the burden is on the defendant to prove that the shooting was justified, which sucks. But, that isn't the case if you shoot somebody in your own home.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@Sparky

It can be a challenging process. Doing it for Italy cost me about three grand and took me about ten years, all said and done. (It could have been done faster, but it was just a side project.) Lots of sending off forms and requests and waiting weeks for them to get returned.

That said, if your Polish ancestor was relatively recent, it might not be too bad. You can probably order most of the American vital records you need via VitalChek.

The plus side to the project is that my entire family--parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, etc.--could piggyback on my efforts, so now we're all recognized dual citizens. It's pretty comforting to know I don't have to worry about leaving family behind if it ever gets bad enough that we have to leave.

I view it as similar to concealed carry--I hope I never need it, but if I ever do, I'm going to be really fucking happy I jumped through the hoops when I did.

View Quote

@LDL7071 I can prove ancestry through Ancestry.com, but my understanding it has to be non of my ancestors gave up citizenship
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag

Love these threads. Gives me something to look forward to
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hungary. Its beautiful in some places, cool history, the US dollar goes along ways, good looking women, they like their beer, people speak enough English, doesn't get to cold in the winter, you can own guns for self defense/sporting/hunting, and its a democracy.
View Quote

^This

Lots of Hungarians speak english. Good public transportaion.  Food is good.  Housing seems way cheaper than US.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wife and I are going to head down Baja, MX in about 2 years.
Still safe, rv space for a year is @ 3k, cheap enough to live there, can use our sxs as transportation, great weather, if it gets too hot, hook up, and start heading back North, hurricanes happen, again, hook up, and get out, fishing is great, and medical is cheap enough.
https://i.postimg.cc/7YXqLkKD/20200905_105820.jpg
View Quote

very
veryinterested in this

carrying guns across border ?   ar pistols?   1911's?  what?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In terms of self defense, the main risk seems to be that Panama presumes guilt in court, and the burden is on the defendant to prove that the shooting was justified, which sucks. But, that isn't the case if you shoot somebody in your own home.
View Quote

Not at all endorsing Panama’s legal system but that is largely the case here too. You have to essentially confess to homicide and prove that your actions fell within exemptions to punishment.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How sure are you of this? Everything I've read is that it takes a while, but other than that is relatively simple to get, compared to other foreign countries. You need to be a resident, submit a DNA sample, take a drug test, and get a psychological exam. And once your firearms permit is issued, it automatically includes concealed carry. That's less restricted than Hawaii.

View Quote

I sold all of my stuff, bought property, and moved there for a short while six years ago. It sure sounds good on paper.

Most expats have Stockholm syndrome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
If America goes, then there will be no good places to go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#26]
US America is going to be latin america soon, the way things are headed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I am currently looking at properties in Guanacste in northwest Costa Rica. We are flying over to look in March. There are plenty of videos and websites devoted to the expat communities there.
Allen Richard
is from Ville Platte, Louisiana (fellow cajun) and has been living in various places in Costa Rica since 2003. He and his wife do a live show on youtube every Thursday evening.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If America goes, then there will be no good places to go.
View Quote
sure there are.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am currently looking at properties in Guanacste in northwest Costa Rica. We are flying over to look in March. There are plenty of videos and websites devoted to the expat communities there.
Allen Richard
is from Ville Platte, Louisiana (fellow cajun) and has been living in various places in Costa Rica since 2003. He and his wife do a live show on youtube every Thursday evening.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My parents thought moving out of the country would be a great experience for me too, but it fucked me up bad. I needed stability and confidence. A new, unfamiliar country and language destroyed that.

Your kids’ mileage may vary.
View Quote
Didn't your parents move to the United States though?  So wouldn't leaving the United States be a good thing?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude, if her parents are in their 90’s and you have all been close to each other until now just wait it out. Pulling her away from them in the last few years of their lives is a bit rough.

Even if she was agreeable now she or both of you are going to be spending a good chunk of change and time right back where you left when they pass.

Maybe wait until then and do the year abroad with extended vacations in each of the countries your interested in to get a feel for what living there would be like. Her liking and wanting to live there is going to have to be a hard yes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm just beginning the process of gathering documents for my Polish citizenship.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Argentina is the answer you seek.
View Quote

I’ve been looking at that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#34]
"So bear with me"

No.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s a very emotional statement. If you look at the situation by land area this country is a supermajority of towns who’s culture revolves around those things specifically.

Yeah the left has poured endless energy and money influencing politically strategic offices and institutions but the only territory they can claim victorious in corrupting are the metropolitan areas, especially the ghetto.

If you think you’re going to find a foreign country that is morally superior to any small town USA you’ll end up disappointed or self deceiving. Not that they could not possibly measure up but good people are good people and aren’t simply only going to be allowed to exist in a specific location.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I would rather die dragging my bullet riddled carcass across broken concrete with my guts trailing behind me as I try to strangle one more Leftist goon before I depart the bombed out shithole Apocalypse Land formerly know as the United States than move to some foreign country. But that is just me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've been looking at that.
View Quote
i've been looking at:

argentina, chile, spain, czechoslovakia, new zealand, australia, estonia, norway, finland, iceland, costa rica, panama, belize, and baja.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would rather die dragging my bullet riddled carcass across broken concrete with my guts trailing behind me as I try to strangle one more Leftist goon before I depart the bombed out shithole Apocalypse Land formerly know as the United States than more to some foreign country. But that is just me.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Panama has a huge ex military population. I enjoyed the time I spent there.
View Quote

What is it going to be like when the sweet sweet (I am being sarcastic)  .USG retirement goes to bust with the collapse of the USG or out of control inflation of the US dollar?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is like someone has never read the history of the Haitian Revolution or something.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been considering the Thai Elite Visa program.  Can buy a 5,10 or 20 year visa.  Don't have to leave every 90 days, they do the process for you instead.  It's not cheap but it factors in to about 200-300 a mos per person.  Not that bad when you can rent a nice place for 400 or so and live a great life there.  I also am considering the Philippines and Mexico.  Mexico seems more dangerous but they have a super safe city (as of now) called Merida.  Prices have went up a lot there due to the safety.  (Safest place in Mexico). Mexico offers a permanent visa for a very low price.  

My Grandma as first generation from Germany.  I've read it's possible to get citizenship even if it's your great grandparents that were German or UK citizens.  I would love to get more info on that.  I've researched it but nothing conclusive.  I hope to find an agency that could do the legwork for a fee.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Where in Estonia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump for continued interest and discussion.

I have narrowed my, uh... vacation home down to Panama and Estonia.

Where in Estonia?

Probably just outside of Tallinn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
sure there are.
View Quote

Maybe if you are elite member of the Chinese society. Trying watching the story of the Bronze Age Collapse in 1200 BC and the invasions of the Sea Peoples that started invading Egypt, Iran, and other empires of the Bronze Age.

Spoiler alert, the collapse of trade & empires with the following wars comes quicker than anyone can imagine and rock the foundations of the world of those who live and those who end up surviving

The Sea Peoples & The Late Bronze Age Collapse // Ancient History Documentary (1200-1150 BC)
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been considering the Thai Elite Visa program.  Can buy a 5,10 or 20 year visa.  Don't have to leave every 90 days, they do the process for you instead.  It's not cheap but it factors in to about 200-300 a mos per person.  Not that bad when you can rent a nice place for 400 or so and live a great life there.  I also am considering the Philippines and Mexico.  Mexico seems more dangerous but they have a super safe city (as of now) called Merida.  Prices have went up a lot there due to the safety.  (Safest place in Mexico). Mexico offers a permanent visa for a very low price.  

My Grandma as first generation from Germany.  I've read it's possible to get citizenship even if it's your great grandparents that were German or UK citizens.  I would love to get more info on that.  I've researched it but nothing conclusive.  I hope to find an agency that could do the legwork for a fee.
View Quote

I’ve only driven through Merida, but it seems pretty nice. Campeche is a really cool city and not far at all from Merida.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i've been looking at:

argentina, chile, spain, czechoslovakia, new zealand, australia, estonia, norway, finland, iceland, costa rica, panama, belize, and baja.
View Quote

You've been looking at a country that hasn't existed in nearly three decades.

The rest of those...well, a lot of them are really poor options. Argentina has had nine sovereign debt defaults, and two this century. Chile just scrapped their constitution in favor of a hard left turn. New Zealand and Australia have both fully expressed their totalitarian leanings in response to the New Zealand mosque shootings and Covid. Finland's government is run by children.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You've been looking at a country that hasn't existed in nearly three decades.

The rest of those...well, a lot of them are really poor options. Argentina has had nine sovereign debt defaults, and two this century. Chile just scrapped their constitution in favor of a hard left turn. New Zealand and Australia have both fully expressed their totalitarian leanings in response to the New Zealand mosque shootings and Covid. Finland's government is run by children.
View Quote
whole world's going to hell.

lots of work for me in NZ and australia.

if i didn't have to work i'd probably just retire to AK and call it good.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Albania, the jewel in the european lotus.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Inside Man - Translate Scene | Albanian (HD)
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
??????????????

They're pro-American, even more than the Poles. But it's basically a marijuana plantation now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Costa Rica Info

This vid talks about the new incentives the gov is putting into place encouraging not just tourism, but residency. There are over 100k Americans living full time in CR. Then there are the Canadiens and Europeans.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top