BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SPNI. Millions were cranked out prior to the 2016 election JIC FHRC won. The market was flooded with mags for a period after and that flood was a significant representation of stocking up during the salad days.
View Quote

Hell...   Not only have most folks bought more than they will ever need, many have bought from dozens to hundreds of mags at a time as an investment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

as soon as biden does a potus speech screeching about banning assault rifles and high cap mags... they will vanish lickity split.

i ordered 30 glock 9mm magazines yesterday alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or is this short lived?

as soon as biden does a potus speech screeching about banning assault rifles and high cap mags... they will vanish lickity split.

I ordered 30 Glock sticks about 2 hours ago. I'd like more 40 round Pmags but I have enough 30's. I kinda want to grab some 20's and 10's; 10's aren't a priority.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
They are on the shelf because they are on the shelf. If there were none to be had people would be waiting in lines for them and scalping them.

Just wait until the first hint of an AWB with creepy Joe at the helm, they will be gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you train regularly, 10 mags will not last 50 years.
View Quote

We place far to great of an infosys on "training"...

It's fun to shoot, and it's good to be in practice, bit I and many others simply cannot afford it any longer and even if you have the money, there may come a day when you desperately wish you had that 100,000 rounds back....
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I ordered 30 Glock sticks about 2 hours ago. I'd like more 40 round Pmags but I have enough 30's. I kinda want to grab some 20's and 10's; 10's aren't a priority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or is this short lived?

you did good... you wont regret it.. even if nothing happens, you probably got them at about as low a price as they normally sell for....so, you did good...  vs panic buying them for $50 each like many of the guys here will be doing a month from now when mags go full retard and congress starts voting on a assault weapon ban, while the media cheers for it and biden talks nonstop about it 24/7.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Spent $1K on mags already:

5 HK USP 45 mags

10 27rd magpul glock mags

10 30rd magpul AUG mags

5 42rd AUG mags from midwest, bought last night, shipped today.

5 42rd AUG mags from Steyr, that still hasn't shipped from 12/30 order confirmed date.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Lack of ammo not mags are the problem?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WTF good is a bunch of empty magazines?

People want AMMUNITION.
View Quote

I hear you about ammo.

But excepting new gun owners, anyone else who has been a gun owner for more than a minute should have little to no reason to be short on ammo right now.

Like I said in other posts ammo was cheap and widely available for something like 7 or 8 years prior to the current shortage. To me, having a significant cache of long-term ammo stored away is a “duh” thing. It’s a non-negotiable, just like having long-term food stored away.

To the extent a lot of people now don’t have ammo to shoot, honestly, a lot of that is on them for not building up reserves over the years.

Take my buddy Josh for example. Last week he awkwardly asked if I’d sell him a couple boxes of 9mm. Even more awkwardly he asked if I’d sell it to him at yesterday’s prices. I asked him why he didn’t have any ammo stored and he said “I can’t afford to buy and store ammo!” But he COULD afford a $45,000 truck, three expensive TV’s, a family trip to Hawaii last winter, and various other toys/non-critical items.

Like a lot of gun owners he just isn’t ready to admit that he made a conscious choice to be unprepared. Because choosing not to do something is, itself, a choice.

I think a lot of gun owners just took for granted that ammo would always be relatively cheap and relatively available, and therefore made a conscious decision to not stock up. It sucks for them, but in most cases I’m not feeling a lot of sympathy for them.

It’s an old story. Literally a story, as memorialized by Aesop’s “The Ant and The Grasshopper”.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

First link on a search - $160. With a bit of looking around I bet he can find them closer to $100 maybe $120.

ETA: $143.75 from EuroOptic.

My point stands. A few hundred bucks worth of mags isn't worth worrying about when you're using them in a $8000 rifle!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought 20.

Will probably buy 20 more here next month.

Kinda want to get to the 300 mag point.  I think I’m at 150 now.

Next I have to stomach buying a few more mags for my m82a1.

I have 2. Sorta want 3 to 5.

They're what - $100 or so each? How can you not justify a few hundred bucks for your $8000 rifle and however much you spent on the scope? The mags are cheap.

about $200+ each actually.

First link on a search - $160. With a bit of looking around I bet he can find them closer to $100 maybe $120.

ETA: $143.75 from EuroOptic.

My point stands. A few hundred bucks worth of mags isn't worth worrying about when you're using them in a $8000 rifle!

Because I just spent ~12,000 on the gun, scope, rings, spare mag, cleaning kit, and 300 rounds of ammo so far.

Vortex razor Gen 2 4.5-27, vortex rings aren’t cheap either.

But I’ll order more here soon. And some more ammo. I want to get up over 1000 rounds of just belted ammo alone. Then whenever match ammo comes about stock up on that.

Edit

Also got an RMr-cc for my 43x, a glock 43x mos, holster, shield arms mags... all in the same time period. So it’s been an expensive month and half.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

you did good... you wont regret it.. even if nothing happens, you probably got them at about as low a price as they normally sell for....so, you did good...  vs panic buying them for $50 each like many of the guys here will be doing a month from now when mags go full retard and congress starts voting on a assault weapon ban, while the media cheers for it and biden talks nonstop about it 24/7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or is this short lived?

$35 from Natchez with active junky to effectively knock off shipping. Arms Unlimited had them without tax but I missed out.

I wanted some more BX25's but I already have about 4-5 each of the 15's and 25's and have literally never shot the rifle. I'm not even that interested in it.
I also want some G20 and 21 mags even though I don't own either and don't have any .45 or 10mm. I have a duffle bag of G17 mags that I guess I can trade for them. I do need to get a router soon...

I haven't been keeping track but I think I've spent about 6k in the last several months. I couldn't afford to stock up during salad days but made sure I had a bit more than the minimum. To me that is 10 mags per platform and 1k rounds each of pistol and rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Or is this short lived?
View Quote

Short lived.  And Magpul and some other makers worked really hard to at least delay the onset of a repeat 2013-$60-pmag sort of mess.

I have no doubt there are still gun guys out there who have procrastinated, or new gun people who will get the memo that they need more mags.   But most of the newbies are still at the stage of "three mags is enough, right?", "but my Condor vest only holds 5 mags, why do I need more", "but I only own 60 rounds of ammo", and so on.

Quoted:
To me, having a significant cache of long-term ammo stored away is a “duh” thing. It’s a non-negotiable, just like having long-term food stored away.
View Quote

It's a normalcy bias problem.  They don't think things can or will change.

I warned several people about the need to buy ammo last year while it was still cheap.  NONE of them did so.  Now some of them have less than 40 rounds, and none have more than ~1/4 of a case.   None of them can afford more than a handful of new rounds at current prices.

Worse yet, some of them blew through most of their ammo shooting at cans and shit after the prices started skyrocketing, ignoring my warnings about what was happening./
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Last summer I convinced a Fudd and his wife to get their first ever AR.  So far so good.  Now every time I talk to them I tell them to get more mags.

They keep saying, "We've got 10. Why do we need more than that?"

When I tell them magazines wear out like tires and that they are expendable, hence necessitating the need for more, they kind of stare at me blankly like I have three eyes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most people dont have ammo to put in them?
View Quote

I do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing wrong with having too many mags, but at a certain point it's about practically. For me, if someday I need to give them away, or sell them off fine, but if I can buy a 10 pack for a bit over a hundred bucks, I'm going to do it.

I didn't think ammo would be so hard to find, I don't shoot anything but 22 now, because I cannot replenish my stock, and I'm getting down to my last few thousand rounds or 22.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What good are mags with no ammo to put in them?
View Quote

Also this. What good are mags if they are empty?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
All the 30rnd PMags at the local BX are gone. They were neckbearded for sure because the 20/25rnd 762/51 mags are still there.

They have been there for months and months.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait until the first dem controlled false flag mass shooting and they will be gone instantly and the executive orders will come out super fast.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you believe the run of the mill AR owner trains regularly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
because despite the blah blah i lived through the first AWB bullshit from boomers that first go around, magazines dont get lost or broken anywhere NEAR as much as the fudds say they do.

10 PMAGs will last your run of the mill AR owner 50 fuckin years.

If you train regularly, 10 mags will not last 50 years.

Do you believe the run of the mill AR owner trains regularly?

On training,

Shooting enough rounds in training to wear out mags in what is coming is bordering on mental illness.

Shooting at 99th percentile level is a perishable skill.  Shooting at 80th is not, and is more than sufficient if you're not making stupid decisions.  Having thousands and thousands of additional rounds is far more important than the diminishing returns you're going to get from ballistically excavating the berm.  We are not going to split-time our way out of this mess.

That's an even bigger level of masturbatory nonsense than buying thousands of dollars of multicam everything and not being able to run a mile, or owning 12 m4geries without having more than 2 weeks of food on hand.

Of all the things I find surprising about what is going on now, it's the number of "I gotta shoot 1,000 rounds a month because muh training" people who got caught flat footed with their ammo supply, or who never gave any consideration as to how they'd need to adjust that to reflect reality if things actually started going downhill.   The majority of them are just jerking it because they like to substitute the feeling of being a good shooter for actually being prepared in a meaningful manner.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you may have spoken too soon...

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a Gen 1 mag still sealed somewhere
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most people dont have ammo to put in them?
View Quote

And they have 4 already lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
its not just about ar mags.  

how many mags do you have for your ccw pistol?  your home defense pistol? pistols your interested in buying down the road? your semi auto 22 rifles?  your womans ccw gun? have you considered your kids and grandkids, and picked up some extra mags and such for the coming generation of shooters needing self defense guns / mags?

in this thread we see people who have never lived thru a mag ban and fail to understand its long term effects, on both shooters and the coming generations of shooters and this thread makes me sad as fuck as its filled with extreme short sightedness.
View Quote

@buck19delta

I noticed a trend in who is telling people that they have enough mags already.

It’s the usual suspects that show up in never Trump threads.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@buck19delta

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many mags do you have for your ccw pistol?  your home defense pistol? pistols your interested in buying down the road? your semi auto 22 rifles?  your womans ccw gun? have you considered your kids and grandkids, and picked up some extra mags and such for the coming generation of shooters needing self defense guns / mags?

in this thread we see people who have never lived thru a mag ban and fail to understand its long term effects, on both shooters and the coming generations of shooters and this thread makes me sad as fuck as its filled with extreme short sightedness.

@buck19delta

No reason not to buy a few more mags for everything you shoot regularly right now.

I’ve only broken 2 mags in recent memory (5-6 years?) but still. You never can have enough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This.
You don't consume magazines.
View Quote
I do.
When they get damaged, or otherwise stop feeding, I throw them away.
Sure, I've rebuilt a bunch with springs, followers and floorplates...
But the mag is a disposable end item.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No reason not to buy a few more mags for everything you shoot regularly right now.

I’ve only broken 2 mags in recent memory (5-6 years?) but still. You never can have enough.
View Quote

Absolutely.

I just bought a few more mags. Five for the last pistol I bought last year,  three for my blackout (found some purple lancers) and five mags for my brother, because he only has a few mags total.

Mags are going to be out of stock pretty soon. I give it 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I did a mag count last night; something I had been planning on doing for months simply because it's been years since I last took inventory.

My big surprise? Apparently I'm sitting on about $5,000 worth of AK-74 magazines! All those minty Russian Plums and East German Bakelites I bought for under $10/each back between 2003 - 2006 are now...not under $10 anymore. The Russian Plums look new and most are still in the sealed plastic bag. I looked up the price and holy cow...people are now paying $60-$80/each for these "M"-marked Russian mags in excellent condition. Almost the same for the EG Bakelites, too.

Buying the right "gun stuff" can be a good investment!
View Quote
I have about 50 of the EG Bakelites with the ammo bags and cleaning kits that they came with. Are they actually worth money now?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#27]
No ammo to load them with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I have hundreds but I am still buying more. The future is dark.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I stocked up on 10 round pmags.  When they come and take your 30 round mags you'll be left with a club.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@buck19delta

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@buck19delta

thats interesting.  

i cant keep track of whos who here for the most part, but that would not surprise me at all.

everyone saying " what good are empty mags?  

your still not paying attention. ammo will almost certainly come back at about the same prices eventually...... while magazines are extremely likely to get the ban hammer.   a year or two from now you will probably be able to stroll into a gun shop and buy cheap ammo again in bulk.... but all you will get magazine wise will be 10rd mags.  

buy the damn mags now, while they are cheap... worry about ammo later.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Most people have 3-4 magazines for each gun they own and thats more than enough.

I understand why they are sitting on the shelves

View Quote

Those are rookie numbers, lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Because the vast majority of AR owners have bought enough to last a lifetime already.
View Quote
This and the short supply of bullets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SPNI. Millions were cranked out prior to the 2016 election JIC FHRC won. The market was flooded with mags for a period after and that flood was a significant representation of stocking up during the salad days.
View Quote
Yep them $580 cases of Pmags were awesome.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Just for shits and giggles.

5.56 mags are out of stock at every major online retailer.
Magpul
Lancer
Okay

None of them are in stock at:
DSG Arms
Primary Arms
Palmetto State Armory
Lanbo’s Armory*

And several others.

.300blk variants are available at most of the above still.

*Some lancer mags are available in some colors.

Heads up. It’s coming.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And yet once news of a proposed federal ban on "high capacity" magazines starts making the rounds, they'll be gone in 3 days
View Quote
Yep

Buy at $5.80-$9 each and sell for $40-80 each

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have about 50 of the EG Bakelites with the ammo bags and cleaning kits that they came with. Are they actually worth money now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a mag count last night; something I had been planning on doing for months simply because it's been years since I last took inventory.

My big surprise? Apparently I'm sitting on about $5,000 worth of AK-74 magazines! All those minty Russian Plums and East German Bakelites I bought for under $10/each back between 2003 - 2006 are now...not under $10 anymore. The Russian Plums look new and most are still in the sealed plastic bag. I looked up the price and holy cow...people are now paying $60-$80/each for these "M"-marked Russian mags in excellent condition. Almost the same for the EG Bakelites, too.

Buying the right "gun stuff" can be a good investment!

I have a bunch of those too. Yes, absolutely they’re worth money now! If your EG mags are in like-new condition (many of them were) you can easily fetch $50 per mag. Even if they’re “well-used” but they work you can get $25-$35 per mag.

I bought my EG Bakelites in 2004 for $7.99/each. I had JUST missed them being on sale for $3.99/each. Back in the early 2000’s they could barely give these things away. I bought a bunch but wish I had bought hundreds.

I think I got the pouch and accessories for an extra $4.99 per 4 mags purchased.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I made $4k off of a case of Pmags, paid for all of Christmas and my daughters cheer competition in Nashville.(her team won first place btw).

Replaced that case for $580 later in 2016.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because I just spent ~12,000 on the gun, scope, rings, spare mag, cleaning kit, and 300 rounds of ammo so far.

Vortex razor Gen 2 4.5-27, vortex rings aren't cheap either.

But I'll order more here soon. And some more ammo. I want to get up over 1000 rounds of just belted ammo alone. Then whenever match ammo comes about stock up on that.

Edit

Also got an RMr-cc for my 43x, a glock 43x mos, holster, shield arms mags... all in the same time period. So it's been an expensive month and half.
View Quote
Well a Barrett mag is 10rds so we should be good lol

Going to be cheaper to shoot 50 BMG soon if ammo prices don't go down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
what about your future kids / grandkids? you want to pass on a few 15 / 30 rd mags to your new son and daughter / grand kids? you might want more than 10 on hand to do that.
View Quote

You think they're going to allow transfers of "high-capacity" magazines? They'll either attempt to ban possession altogether or they'll say that your heirs must turn them in upon your death.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You think they're going to allow transfers of "high-capicity" magazines?
View Quote

What they don't know won't hurt 'em.

This is why UBC laws are stupid.  

I'd love to know the percentage of people living under UBC laws who have made "illegal" private sales.  I'd bet the number is pretty high.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The $4.99 mag deal from GO in November might of relieved some pressure for enthusiasts like ourselves.  Might be an indicator of how many mags are on the market right now, and also an indicator that many people believe they have what they need.
View Quote

Fuck, I bought like 25 of those and don't even know where I put them.  I forgot about them until you posted.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Because they're reusable and you only really need a few of them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Magpul
Lancer
Okay

DSG Arms
Primary Arms
Palmetto State Armory
Lanbo’s Armory*

And several others.

Heads up. It’s coming.
View Quote

How do you figure?  Both Pmags and D&H are still in stock at PSA.  Granted, I can't say how many.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

thats interesting.  

i cant keep track of whos who here for the most part, but that would not surprise me at all.

your still not paying attention. ammo will almost certainly come back at about the same prices eventually...... while magazines are extremely likely to get the ban hammer.   a year or two from now you will probably be able to stroll into a gun shop and buy cheap ammo again in bulk.... but all you will get magazine wise will be 10rd mags.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@buck19delta

thats interesting.  

While I think it’s likely that ammo prices will eventually come back to earth, I’d also put 50/50 odds on one or more of the following within the next 24 months:

- an import ban for “military caliber” ammunition.

- restrictions or prohibitions on interstate online ammo sales.

- limits on the amount of ammo a person can buy at any given time, and/or California-style regulations (at a national level) on ammo sales.

- new, more restrictive federal guidelines on lead and/or other chemical constituents that effectively causes the ammo we’re all used to buying, to be illegal.

If any of these occur ammo prices will never return to the old “normal”. Or the prices will return, but actually being able to buy the ammo will be a full-on, paperwork-involved “process”.

I’m certain there are people in the Biden Admin who are currently working hard to see exactly what they can do by EO and what must be legislated. I really do think this isn’t going to be like the Obama years. The new legislative and policy mantra under Biden is going to be “Go big or go home.”

Obama was more of a policy wonk and technocrat. Biden is more of a “big picture” guy. For gun owners, that means Biden is actually a bigger threat for gun owners than Obama was. And trust me...with things like bans on imported ammo (which makes up a LOT of the supply) 75% of the public won’t care. I.e., Biden will have enough political cover to pull it off.

So yeah...I would worry about ammo. (Although not me personally. I’m good for quite awhile. )
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I’m honestly not sure what you’re arguing/trying to say. Although it sounds like a straw man argument in any regard because in that post I didn’t say a word about magazines
View Quote

The people who stockpile shit already have magazines.

The people who don't aren't buying magazines either.

My original post had an emoji for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Magpul
Lancer
Okay

DSG Arms
Primary Arms
Palmetto State Armory
Lanbo’s Armory*

And several others.

Heads up. It’s coming.
View Quote

AIM has 5.56 mags up the yin-yang. As do a few other retailers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#47]
If only I could get some in NY......
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
WTF good is a bunch of empty magazines?

People want AMMUNITION.
View Quote

WTF good is ammunition without magazines.  

Plenty of us have both.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#49]
All mags will be OOS in 2 weeks. Wait for it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All mags will be OOS in 2 weeks. Wait for it.
View Quote

I don't give it two weeks. I give until this weekend.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top