Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]
She was a saint.
R.I.P. Ma.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine was the best.  I loved her and she loved me.  I knew it, she knew it and I still grieve her daily 14 years after her death.

It took about 30 years of life experience and having my own children to fully comprehend what a truly awesome set of parents I was born too.

I have been truly saddened by some of the stories I have read here over the years.  Makes me feel like I was one of the luckiest kids ever born.
View Quote

Uh, yeah man. Nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:10:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My mom was born in 1920.  She would have been 100 years old last September.  She raised five ornery kids.  Took no shit from any of us.  I loved my mom and should have told her that more than I did.  I was her favorite kid, at least that’s what I tell my siblings she told me.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, if you're not Cop, you're Little People.
View Quote
I'd quit because I'd had a belly full of killing. But then I'd rather be a killer than a victim. And that's exactly what Bryant's threat about little people meant.

I didn't have enough years on the force to be eligible to carry planetwide under LEOSA, and without my police credentials I wouldn't be able to readily obtain firearms for official use, or bypass the CDC's latest healthcare mandates. I should've settled off-world.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
She had an ass like a tortoise.
View Quote

What's a tortoise?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My mom has Lewy body dementia. She no longer remembers who the mean man who bosses her around is (my dad...super patient caregiver), she doesn't know who my sister is (who lives next door and is constantly looking after her)...but she remembers me.

She remembers me even though I live a thousand miles away and only see her twice a year, or so. Even though her normal gait is a hunched over shuffle, she'll practically run to see me and to give me a hug when I visit. She tries to give me various things she finds around the house, just random knickknacks. She'll bring me plate of animal crackers and grapes...because that's about all she can "cook" these days.

She struggles to find the simplest of words and phrases, but the little bit of mom that is still there manages to show love. Thanks, mom!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#9]
She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck....
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't think of anything bad... she's a redhead, so there's that. She and dad are still alive and kickin' and I'm amazingly thankful for that.

The only thing I fear in life is the day they leave me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]
As of this afternoon, all I can say is I love you and rest easy next to Dad, next to me in the camper for now until we get home to WY. Mom passed back in Oct, my Sister was killed Friday in a tragic accident. Found Dad's Urn in the clutter of my Mom's room yesterday. Today I was able to find Mom's Urn in the clutter of my Sisters bedroom. I was worried that I wouldn't find her...it's that bad in the house

So grateful I married a woman who is a neat freak and keeps things simple, clean, and orderly, and so will my Sons when we eventually pass away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My mother was a saint.  I really didn't deserve her.  I can only think of one negative about here in that she wasn't a very good cook.  Which I didn't know until I left home and had better food.  

If everyone born had a mother as compassionate as mine the world would be a better place.  RIP mom.  Miss you terribly.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
In between the beatings, verbal abuse, and ignoring me, she was a saint.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Blade Runner - Holden y Deckard en el hospital
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#15]
My Mom is 87 and out-lived RBG.....Still tough as nails despite her on-going maladies. She gets it natural, her mom was the same way. Her side of the family were a tough bunch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#16]
She gave birth to me... So I appreciate that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#17]
She always put us kids first, she set good examples, and always tried hard to steer us in a positive direction in life. I only wish I had heeded her advice more often along the way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#18]
When my brothers and i were young She would go hungry so we could eat.

i would ask her, "Mom how come you are not eating" She said she was not hungry.
Took me a long time to figure that out.  God bless her.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#19]
She loved me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#21]
You remember the spider that lived in a bush outside your window? Orange body, green legs. Watched her build a web all summer. Then one day there was a big egg in it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I honestly have none. I haven't spoken to her in more than a decade at this point.

I'm sure my ex-wife has plenty of good things to say about her. They had some significant things in common, like cheating on their husbands and using the state to extract as much money from the guys they cheated on as they could.

I get along with my ex-wife nowadays, but I don't see myself ever speaking to my mother for the rest of her life.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Describe only the good things that come into your mind about your mother
View Quote
A hell of a mind.
And a hell of a heart.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Whence, me prayers were poorly said
who tucked me in me widdle bed
and spanked me 'til me ass turned wred?
          ... Me Mudder

When in the morning, light would come
and in me cwrib me dwribbled some
who yet still wiped, me widdle bum?
          ... Me Mudder

Who took me from me cozy cot
to put me on that ice cold pot
and made me pee whether me could or not?
          ... Me Mudder

And who's ... so gently, hair would part
and hold me tightly to her heart
and sometimes squeeze me 'til me fart?
          ... Me Mudder

Who glared at me wit' eyebrows lit
and gosh darn nearly trough a fit
when in me Sunday pants me sh*t?
          ... Me Mudder
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I miss my mother and father.  
I wish I could have done for them as they did for me.
I never did without anything including love from them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine voted for China Joe so......
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#27]
We were estranged the past 8-9 years.  No significant or meaningful contact for much longer (decades).  One thing she did teach me was that if you can't say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all.  The only thing I can say about her, was that she was a fantastic cook when she wanted to be.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Is this a test?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#29]
My mother, I'll tell you about my mother.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Graduated high school at 16 went to UW Madison got a BS in nursing during WW2.
Went to grad school at U of Chicago then went to Hawaii to work for the Navy in Honolulu where she met my dad.
Mom sewed many of her own clothes as well as for my dad. Could grow anything in her garden had a green thumb.
Canned and preserved all kinds of foods was an excellent cook made everything you could think of from scratch.
Played the piano...had a decent soprano voice...sang in the church choir...taught Sunday school.
Was an excellent swimmer,played tennis,bowled on the church team,loved to play golf...loved crossword puzzles and played bridge.
After my dad died she went back to work and retired as a nursing supervisor at a big clinic hospital complex.
She was a real trooper and a good Navy wife.
When we lived in Panama she challenged the status quo wives who liked to socialize,drink gin,and gossip into being more useful and to look to care for the families of the base workers who lived in poverty and had poor medical care.
She was a very decent and sane women most of the time (she was a nurse after all)...and a good grandmother to her children's children.
She was well liked and respected in our small town and especially so at the Church she attended for over 70yrs (aside from my folk's time in the Navy).
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I got nothing

There was the time I saw her chew out the Principal of my Elementary School because they sent me home an application for “free or reduced” lunch. She told him that SHE would feed her kid and for them to MYOB.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I always wanted that COP pistol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#33]
She built starter motors for Roll Royce Merlin engines during WWII , loved motorcycles and fast cars.
Mom was cool and strict , I thank her for that.

I miss my Mom (and Dad)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
She lost both her parents at 15. Lost both her siblings even though she was the oldest. Had every reason to tell God to fuck off. Never lost her faith in him.

Mama is the best. Didn't appreciate her like I should have. I had the best parents a person could ask for.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#35]
My mom can cook, bake, and sew like nobody's business.

She would make some man a great midwestern wife.  Unfortunately, she keeps looking for that man in every bar in Omaha.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#36]
My mom was the best, far better than I deserved. Beautiful, athletic, smart and endlessly tolerant of her troubled children. USMC Tsgt, she took no shit from anyone. Let me make my own mistakes. I was truly blessed to have the parents I did.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#37]
My mom is aces!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#38]
No one loves you more than the lord, he had to love a little more because of her.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Italian that cooked great food and every thing in hands reach was a weapon if you stepped out of line.  Coat hanger, iron, spatula, high heels..........you got beat into submission with it.

ETA: Left the hills of PA to go to NJ in '42 for a year to make airplane tires in a rubber plant for planes used in WWII.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#40]
"Short term sacrifices = long term goals."

"If you can't say something nice don't say anything."

My Mom was a Saint...miss her every day!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#41]
She lives far away from me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Ever run that VK test on yourself?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Supported me in any interest I had since I was four years old.

If I took an interest in something she encouraged me and got what I needed to pursue it.

My dad made me tough and my mom gave a reason to be tough.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#44]
A great cook.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#45]
What desert?  How can I be there?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Leon:  My mother? Let me tell you about my mother...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I have been told that when I was younger she used me like a set of weights to work out with.

My memory recalls her as a living carnival ride!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#48]
She’s dead.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Even though I'm kind of an asshole, mom is always happy to see me. Her lasagna is the benchmark that all others are held against.  She selflessly put her own needs and desires to raise us kids and always did her best to give what we needed.  Sometimes I forget that so thanks OP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Many times made for me as a kid and the last meal my mom made for me was salmon patties and fried potatoes.

I've tried many times, but I've never been able to make them as good as she did.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top