User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

mourn it's d
I've not seen anyone say they are gentle animals. Most are saying they see them as a very intelligent animal thatctuall ay ead unlike most other game animal. Seems the same rush could be had by getting close but still at a relatively safe distance and viewing them through binos line I've said all along.  Yes, some do need to be culled so there is obviously a purpose for it but don't act like that is the only option to save them when there are many other options with the best probably being a combination of the different management practices.
View Quote
So are pigs. I'm sure you don't eat pork products either.

No you wouldn't get the same rush from watching Elephants as you would going into a herd or bachelor group and shooting one frontally at short range.

also, you keep bringing up eco tourism like that's a viable option for all of Africa and it's not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
So they're dangerous because we're encroaching on their land. Got it. Seems like a poor reason to claim that an animal is dangerous. Of course it's going to be pissed off.. humans are taking over their territory.

At any rate, I have zero desire to kill an elephant, but I'm not looking down on those that do. Like others said, hunting in these parts of the world have injected much needed money that helps to conserve these animals and their land, so I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because you make stupid, ignorant, dumbass assumptions about every one else.  Your excessive exercising of the moral high ground/ethics trump card is telling.  Road hunters?  The only road hunters I see in my state are out-of-state fudds or guys in their 70's who can't hump the hills any more.  I don't think shooting and eating rabbits and squirrels is right.  Does that grant me the moral high ground?  And yes, I'm very familiar with topography of Wisconsin.  I've hunted there too. It's not what I would call real hard country.  The highest point in the whole state is under 2,000 feet.
You condemn others for hunting fenced game, when you don't have a clue what they're doing.  You hunt hard.  So do many, many other hunters.  You choose to pass judgment on others based on your "morals and ethics" when you don't have a clue about what anyone else's fortitude and abilities, morals and ethics are.  That is the epitome of ignorance and intolerance.

Other than a bunch of crocodiles we shot on the Zambezi Delta in Mozambique, every game animal I've ever shot has been eaten by me, my family, or local villagers that were ecstatic to get it. And for all I know, the government wardens we turned the crocs over to may have sold the meat to locals. (We were doing predator control after the end of the civil war)
When we shot a buffalo, my trackers and skinners left nothing but the contents of the stomach and four hooves.  My trackers would build a fire and we would roast fresh strips of liver before we finished dressing the buff.  Do you leave a gut pile behind? You don't in Africa.
Villagers would flock to our base camp with baskets when we rolled in with a couple of buffalo, and we always had a party that night and drank the local palm wine, which is the most god awful stuff you will ever have.
Those are just some of my fondest memories of African hunting.  And no, I know of no one that ever got "a perverse pleasure" out of watching an animal die.  If you are a true hunter, you respect and honor your prey.
Here's a moral for you; it starts with "Judge not..... "
View Quote

You don't have a lot of that right. I didn't say anything about the difficulty of anyone else's hunt until I got called a tree stand loving flatlander and told that it was impossible to "hunt hard" in Wisconsin. I wasn't saying that it's hard hunting, but that to tag out all my tags I have to hunt hard. See the difference?

Btw, It's not the total elevation here, it's the ups and downs, the swamps, woods so dense you can see 5 feet in front of you. I either hunt river bottoms or way up in the national forests. There is definitely challenging terrain.

Before all of the noise, the only point I was trying to make is that I will not personally kill an animal that I am not going to eat, or that isn't threatening me or my property. When I said different ethics I didn't mean that mine was superior, just different. Come on, are you really suggesting that there aren't people out that that just hunt because they like killing shit? There definitely are.

That's good that all your safari meat is eaten, but for some reasonz and I'm sure this is my problem, I don't equate meat hunting with anything other than filling my freezer or my family's plates. That's just my take on it.

Re: gut pile, just the intestines. All the organs come back with me, which my dogs appreciate greatly, except for the heart which I eat.

Also not sure where you hunt in CO, but on my way to the places that I get back to the road hunters are like locusts. There are so many of them they create traffic hazards. I was up by Kremling a couple years ago and some guy actually did rear end a truck parked glassing.

In the meantime, I don't care if you go shoot elephants. It doesn't make sense to me and I wouldn't do it, but aren't we all about trying to have some open dialogue here?

Edit: now if I could shoot, say, a zebra and fill my freezer up with his ass, I'd have no qualms.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at this shit, can you imagine being in his place?  Ears out = false charge Ears back = you better be shooting.
Elephant Charge - Ivan Carter

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So they're dangerous because we're encroaching on their land. Got it. Seems like a poor reason to claim that an animal is dangerous. Of course it's going to be pissed off.. humans are taking over their territory.

At any rate, I have zero desire to kill an elephant, but I'm not looking down on those that do. Like others said, hunting in these parts of the world have injected much needed money that helps to conserve these animals and their land, so I'm all for it.
View Quote
Humans take over land as they breed. I'm sure where you live was once full of wildlife. Somehow I doubt you're so upset about that loss of habitat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Id do it for the ivory, leave the rest for the birds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
How to tell if an elephant is about to charge
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For those that disagree or think its , let me ask you....
Would it be better to have 3 elephants killed by:
1. Paying customer
2. Wildlife management staff or ph
3. Poachers

View Quote
at least 50K in trophy fees if the Elephants are killed by a paying customer. Culling by wildlife officials is a huge waste.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Look at this shit, can you imagine being in his place?  Ears out = false charge Ears back = you better be shooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXFaMkin7ZU
View Quote

Seems that’d give you a rush. Didn’t notice him carrying a rifle, only a set of binos.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seems that'd give you a rush. Didn't notice him carrying a rifle, only a set of binos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXFaMkin7ZU

Seems that'd give you a rush. Didn't notice him carrying a rifle, only a set of binos.
he's a professional hunter and can read body language. You can bet he had people with rifles backing him up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not for me. Those who legally do pump megabucks into third world economies which hopefully goes to conservation and not corrupt warlords.
So what?

I took it to mean it’s a good thing, if it’s not going to warlords.

Not my thing going after one as I don’t think I’d want to eat it but if my understanding as how the money helps with conservation of the species, hey more power to those that want too. I’d probably like a photo safari more than hunting. Don’t get me wrong nothing against hunting and there are lots of tasty animals out there, many of which I have yet the pleasure to taste and many I look forward to again tasting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not for me.  I think they're too cool.  No elephants, giraffe, rhinos, or any of the african big game.  I'm not much of a hunter anyways.  

Now, if I lived there and saw them as a threat, then maybe...
View Quote

I just want to find out if a Cape buffalo tastes as much like an Angus bull as it looks. Eat a shitload while there and bring the head home.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Managed hunting works PERIOD.  If it didn't exist we would have the population of duck, geese, deer, elk, bear, moose and so on in the US.  We obliterated them until hunting was managed.

The same applies to African animals.  I get that people see animal A as being something more special of an animal, than animal B.  So you shouldn't hunt it.  But don't harsh other people's mellow.  That being said, it still doesn't change the fact that manage hunting works PERIOD.

On side note, if you haven't tried hunting different game in different states/countries and doing so with their accepted methods of hunting.......I would suggest you don't tell those who actually do how much you know about the way it is.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you allowed to import ivory? I thought that was verboten.

But to the original question, no I don't have any desire to hunt elephant.

Now if OP knocks one down, I'd be willing to try some backstrap or tenderloin!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
yes you can import ivory.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You need your own Outdoor Channel Show:

Tracks Across Wisconsin

E1S1:  Natty Light, Public Land and Deer Camp....Hunting Hard in the Kickapoo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's limp dick shit to me. So are most of the African safari hunts. I hunt hard every year, but for things that are already overpopulated and that I'm going to eat. I love hunting, but I hate killing for sport.

You need your own Outdoor Channel Show:

Tracks Across Wisconsin

E1S1:  Natty Light, Public Land and Deer Camp....Hunting Hard in the Kickapoo.

I lol'd
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Killing big majestic animals for fun is lame, especially so when they're highly intelligent and endangered.  I'm fine with hunting to eat, or population control like for wild hogs.  Shooting amazing animals just for the thrill isn't the way though.  Just play an online shooter game if you want to get the bloodlust out of your system lol.  The targets are more dangerous, intelligent, and can shoot back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Killing big majestic animals for fun is lame, especially so when they're highly intelligent and endangered.  I'm fine with hunting to eat, or population control like for wild hogs.  Shooting amazing animals just for the thrill isn't the way though.  Just play an online shooter game if you want to get the bloodlust out of your system lol.  The targets are more dangerous, intelligent, and can shoot back.
View Quote
Everything you just said is wrong. You should have read the thread before posting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno, but I found some sweet mammoth ivory 1911 grips online, probably the closest Ill ever get.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah because vets don’t hunt.  Seriously do you think before you type.

View Quote

Didn’t suggest some didn’t, I suggested most trophy hunters aren’t veterans.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#23]
So many hurt feels in here.
Meanwhile this is gonna be me if I win the powerball.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread was very predictable.

Loads of Texas hate/envy.

PETA tards arguing a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

Morality plays that have zero value.

And the “hard hunter” that hunts deer.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I would never kill such a magnificent creature unless my life depended on it.

my 2¢
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Elephants are the only land animal I would not shoot (unless I had to in defense), IMO just too intelligent to kill!
Lion & Tiger are the bucket list game animals I'd love to take.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In a heart beat
View Quote

And I’d anyone bitching about it has any fuck trophies running around, they can go ahead and be quiet about it.  The extinction of large African mammals ain’t coming from legal trophy hunting, but from people that are reproducing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Elephants are the only land animal I would not shoot (unless I had to in defense), IMO just too intelligent to kill!
View Quote

You will never legally hunt Tigers. They are actually endangered throughout their range.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pigs are smarter but I doubt you would restrain yourself from killing them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just want to find out if a Cape buffalo tastes as much like an Angus bull as it looks. Eat a shitload while there and bring the head home.
View Quote

The one I shot in camp was served. It reminded me of a beef pot roast. Texture was a bit different but the flavor was amazing. That being said, the best animals I ate there were Zebra and Kudu.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd go RFN if I had the money. Zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Their numbers are dwindling daily, not for me although I understand it.
View Quote

I don't agree with killing anything that might have a soul, unless for survival and/or self defense.

Elephants are very smart, and if any "animals" have a soul, elephants surely do.

Attachment Attached File

African "hunts" are basically canned hunts. You're killing pets.

This isn't 1887.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't agree with killing anything that might have a soul, unless for survival and/or self defense.

Elephants are very smart, and if any "animals" have a soul, elephants surely do.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484974/Screenshot_2021-01-19_Elephant_art_fetch-1787552.JPG

This isn't 1887.
View Quote

Haha! Yeah that would be funny if not so ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I win the lottery, I'll take 5 people from this thread on an Elephant Safari, and hopefully snag a few Lions while we're at it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484974/Screenshot_2021-01-19_Elephant_art_fetch-1787552.JPG

This isn't 1887.
View Quote
I expected better from you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If I win the lottery, I'll take 5 people from this thread on an Elephant Safari, and hopefully snag a few Lions while we're at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a bad idea. I’ve got 5 numbers so I’ll check in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Summary is apt.  Pretty much how these threads go.  

Except not all feature the appearance of a real, live “hard hunter”.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#40]

That’s clearly BS.  Everyone knows elephants are helpless, gentle creatures.  If you encounter an elephant in the wild, just go up and gently pet them.  They are the Golden Retrievers of Africa.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?
She's usually not so far off with her opinions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You don't have a lot of that right. I didn't say anything about the difficulty of anyone else's hunt until I got called a tree stand loving flatlander and told that it was impossible to "hunt hard" in Wisconsin. I wasn't saying that it's hard hunting, but that to tag out all my tags I have to hunt hard. See the difference?

Btw, It's not the total elevation here, it's the ups and downs, the swamps, woods so dense you can see 5 feet in front of you. I either hunt river bottoms or way up in the national forests. There is definitely challenging terrain.

Before all of the noise, the only point I was trying to make is that I will not personally kill an animal that I am not going to eat, or that isn't threatening me or my property. When I said different ethics I didn't mean that mine was superior, just different. Come on, are you really suggesting that there aren't people out that that just hunt because they like killing shit? There definitely are.

That's good that all your safari meat is eaten, but for some reasonz and I'm sure this is my problem, I don't equate meat hunting with anything other than filling my freezer or my family's plates. That's just my take on it.

Re: gut pile, just the intestines. All the organs come back with me, which my dogs appreciate greatly, except for the heart which I eat.

Also not sure where you hunt in CO, but on my way to the places that I get back to the road hunters are like locusts. There are so many of them they create traffic hazards. I was up by Kremling a couple years ago and some guy actually did rear end a truck parked glassing.

In the meantime, I don't care if you go shoot elephants. It doesn't make sense to me and I wouldn't do it, but aren't we all about trying to have some open dialogue here?

Edit: now if I could shoot, say, a zebra and fill my freezer up with his ass, I'd have no qualms.
View Quote

Done with the wall of text replies.  You're not the victim.  Read your first post in this thread and get back to me.  Something, something limp dicks, remember?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I always wanted to hunt an elephant.
Until I moved up here and hunted moose.
Now my opinion is F— k packing out elephant quarters!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Half of these posters need to pick up a Peter H Capstick novel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck yea. I could name a few others also, one in particular is “Kingdom Under Glass.” An amazing read.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:45:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Would love too
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's some good reading!

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me! Me!
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top