BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still can't figure out where the ammo is going?

The excuse that people buying new guns are buying ammo seems weak.

New gun buyers get a couple boxes.  Not thousands.

And where are all these "new guns" being bought coming from?  I'm pretty sure ammo mfg runs faster than gun mfg.
View Quote

I sold out of multiple hunting calibers over the long  three day weekend
Guys who might in other times have come in and bought a box or two of their favorite ammo were buying every box of it on the shelf.
They aren't going to be shooting it any faster in the coming weeks; we have an extended deer season through the end o the month but that doesn't account for the volume of sales
So they're depriving others of anything in that caliber until my resupply comes in.
Multiply that times the number of guys who like a particular caliber and you end up with empty shelves
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I am am owner of a Security Company, and we can buy from LE Distributors. We have bought ammo throughout the past year with zero problem...  LE has priority, simple as that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You hope so?  You want people whose profession includes carrying a firearm in public to be untrained?
View Quote

No.

I want the state's enforcers to be subject to the same pain as the unwashed masses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I imagine their ammo is under contract, so no
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm betting there are more then a few agencies that wish they had stuck with their .40's right now. My kid bought cases of HP SD .40 a couple years ago for less then plain old hardball was going for because of the lack of demand. It was so cheap I almost went out and bought a .40 handgun just to take advantage of the cheap prices.
View Quote

I’m tempted to go and buy the store out of 40 and 9mm. It’s cheap ball stuff but at almost $25 a box I always gave it a pass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We stopped taking orders from police departments back in the summer due to scarcity.  

We decided to continue refusing LE orders for the foreseeable future because we have far too much demand from retail customers, and, we're very reluctant to do business with the people who are STILL enforcing lockdown orders across the country.

We've considering coming up with a 'contract' of sorts whereby they have to agree not to enforce lockdown orders in order to do business with us, but it seems like more hassle than it's worth.
View Quote

when things settle down, you gained a customer
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My guess is that we have trouble finding ammo because .gov and .mil are buying it up
View Quote
Also, government demand is generally consistent. It's consumer demand which fluctuates the most.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I imagine their ammo is under contract, so no
View Quote
The bad thing about the contract pricing is that I'm sure some distributors are saying they have 0 available for contract purchase so they can sell that product for more to consumers.

They're not allowed to tell an agency, "I can sell you some for $X above the contract price."
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.

I’d be willing to wager the majority of members on this site have more ammo individually than their local of has on hand.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really hope so.  

View Quote

yes we are.

J-
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really hope so.  

View Quote

FTP, police serve the .gov, not the people.
.gov employees are demons wearing skin suits.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
OPNI
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My good friend is a retired Palm Beach County deputy and his son is a current one who has been on Trump's security detail many times and really enjoys it when he gets to meet Trump cuz he says he's so nice to them. They both have told me that they stopped all Superfluous training because of the ammo shortage, doing the bare minimum to keep current.
And obviously no free ammo to take home like the old days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Local LEA had orders put in in June of last year for 40, 9 and 38. Ammo came in this week.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My good friend is a retired Palm Beach County deputy and his son is a current one who has been on Trump's security detail many times and really enjoys it when he gets to meet Trump cuz he says he's so nice to them. They both have told me that they stopped all Superfluous training because of the ammo shortage, doing the bare minimum to keep current.
And obviously no free ammo to take home like the old days.
View Quote

Read this a lot in this thread.
And know of locals that do it here.
Maybe if they weren't taking it home and putting back in inventory they wouldn't be so short.

Not directed at anyone just a broad observation and statement.
Like i said I know many LEO that not only do this here but would sell fat 50's of ammo to their non LEO friends.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been retired for 3 years so don’t know current situation. I was in charge of firearms training at my department and managed inventory.
For a time during the wars all the manufacturers were producing military ammo and .40 got hard to find.
I ordered a huge amount that I think they are still using.
Police departments don’t get special status for ammo orders.
Maybe the huge ones do but not most.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Definitely explains why my local sheriff's department is only reserving the county range one half day a month now rather than one or two times a week like before the latest run on ammo.
I wonder if they'll come hit me up for ammo when they see me dumping mags of 5.56 and 9 out of my transferables...  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really hope so.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Must have some issues getting ammo.

I see the number of dogs stacking up in shelters again.

View Quote

ROFL

Yeah, I took a PD buddy shooting over the weekend and the ammo stash is low. Sounds like barely any ammo to practice with being given.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure DHS and other .Gov entities will hand out the ammo if they need enforcers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please get help. See a doctor.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They will be stopping by gun owners homes for "donations" Jan 21st.
View Quote
I would not be surprised that any enforcements that confiscate arms will divert ammo to police use due to shortages. Just tack it on to "Civil Forfeiture".
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’d be willing to wager the majority of members on this site have more ammo individually than their local of has on hand.
View Quote

I think you greatly overestimate the number of members who actually have more than a 1,000 rounds of all types of ammo.

The amount of ammo held by departments varies. Those that carry out their own training generally keep a year’s worth of training ammo on hand. Departments that rely on regional or state training facilities have little need to stock up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think one of the reasons we have an ammo shortage is that first priority from manufacturers goes to military and police.
View Quote

Nope, major agencies can't get ammo. Our dept has cancelled all upcoming rifle qualifications due to the shortage. The dept is the 35th largest in the country. No ammo draw, only state required qualifications/requals are being done. They have had 5.56 ammo on order for a year, and were able to get by, by stretching what they had.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#28]
No.  They are not.  But it is being monitored much closely when it comes to quantities issued.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
they dont. my friends medium size agency in sofla literally has a 10x12 room of hst and gold dot 556.
View Quote

I would say they probably bought that prior to all this after the last struggle. Major metro dept and cancelled all non required quals, trainings, and monthly draws (2 boxes)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No.

I want the state's enforcers to be subject to the same pain as the unwashed masses.
View Quote

Doesnt bother me one bit.

I don’t qualify? Cool, they’re gonna waive it or go out and pay 1200/k for ammo so I can shoot.

Of course, I just drew 30 cases of 5.56 to handout.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would not be surprised that any enforcements that confiscate arms will divert ammo to police use due to shortages. Just tack it on to "Civil Forfeiture".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah no.

.gov procurement doesnt work that way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

when things settle down, you gained a customer
View Quote

And a mention on TTAG
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Liability issue. One, no testing of the ammo, they dont know what it is, ballistics, etc. 2. If someone got hurt because their duty weapon went Ka-boom, huge lawsuit. 3. If an officer shot someone, how can they defend their choice of ammo in court? Besides, our dept uses it for the bomb squad, I've asked for it, but chain of evidence and all that. So they destroy it with an IED during training exercises.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am am owner of a Security Company, and we can buy from LE Distributors. We have bought ammo throughout the past year with zero problem...  LE has priority, simple as that.
View Quote

A local law enforcement shop still has plenty of ammo at pre-panic prices.  But quantities are limited and restricted to LE and military.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In the early 90s jail inmates reloaded .38 special ammo for the Sheriffs Department range qualifications. They had a little shed right by the range.
View Quote

They had no access to any variety of powder which would cause a major problem in a compressed charge?
And they were too well supervised to fill a cartridge with primers?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It used to be done by a lot of departments for practice ammo back in the stone age when everyone carried 38 specials with LRN bullets. Then the lawyers came along and they sold off all the old Camdex progressives.

Moot point, but it used to be common.
View Quote

We used to ship our expended brass to Zero in the revolver days. We'd buy reloads for practice stuff
That's well beyond 25 years ago now. I'm probably the only guy left in my agency who remembers the revolver days
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:02:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well instead of training with guns maybe they could train on how to arrest rioters, looters, arsonists And old fashioned thieves. Not to mention voter fraud and stolen elections.

Of course then we would have to train DAs how to indict, prosecute and incarcerate the people they arrest.

Oh fuck it let’s go shooting.
View Quote

Don't forget to expand the prison farms so they can grow the food they eat or go hungry.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We stopped taking orders from police departments back in the summer due to scarcity.  

We decided to continue refusing LE orders for the foreseeable future because we have far too much demand from retail customers, and, we're very reluctant to do business with the people who are STILL enforcing lockdown orders across the country.

We've considering coming up with a 'contract' of sorts whereby they have to agree not to enforce lockdown orders in order to do business with us, but it seems like more hassle than it's worth.
View Quote

Dear @fenixammunition please please please tell me the story. I have popcorn all ready to go.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to make some +P++++++ loads for them to confiscate then.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#42]
No. Not at all.   Better pricing too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/740010030518239384/802681952296501328/image0-542.png

Dear @fenixammunition please please please tell me the story. I have popcorn all ready to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/740010030518239384/802681952296501328/image0-542.png

We weren't "raided", per se, but here's what happened:

Someone called the Novi PD late November and anonymously reported that we were not wearing masks inside our facility.

Novi PD sent an officer out to investigate.  When he arrived at our facility, he held the door open for a customer who was coming to pick up an order he had placed online.  

Note - we don't do ANY walk in sales.  The only customers who come in our lobby are there to pick up an order they have already paid for, so, they're in and out in under 20 seconds.

In this instance the customer was wearing a mask, the officer was wearing a mask, and I was not wearing a mask... because, why the fuck should I?  I wanted to deal with the customer before talking to the officer (I had a pretty good idea why he was there), so I handed the customer his order and then address the officer.  After he told me he was there to investigate an anonymous complaint, I more or less told him to get fucked.  I asked him if he thought the Novi PD would likely investigate an anonymous claim that he beats his wife every night.  I asked him if he had a search warrant, and when he said no, I told him to leave.

Three weeks ago, we received a notice of violation from the Michigan Department of Health.  The officer in question had sent his report to MDHHS and in the report he mentioned that I had assisted a customer in his presence without a mask on.  That resulted in a $1,000 fine.  Theoretically, if I had assisted two or three customers while he was there, they could and would have fined me $1,000 PER OCCURRENCE.

So, I have made the decision that we are no longer serving law enforcement in any capacity, anywhere in the United States, until further notice.  If a cop wants to buy our stuff, he can do so on our website as a retail customer like anyone else.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends, I placed about a 50k round order of various ammo types at the end of September last year and still have not received anything from it.   Boutique, specialty ammo or expensive ammo other agencies are unwilling to pay for, yeah, I can get it.  Hornady critical duty 9 mm, for example, cost about $50 more per k than Fed HST, so I can get it.  12 gauge Fllte Control buckshot is unobtanium.  Hornady 75 grain 5.56 is available, 55 grain FMJ is not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Someone called the Novi PD late November and anonymously reported that we were not wearing masks inside our facility.

Novi PD sent an officer out to investigate.  When he arrived at our facility, he held the door open for a customer who was coming to pick up an order he had placed online.  

Note - we don't do ANY walk in sales.  The only customers who come in our lobby are there to pick up an order they have already paid for, so, they're in and out in under 20 seconds.

In this instance the customer was wearing a mask, the officer was wearing a mask, and I was not wearing a mask... because, why the fuck should I?  I wanted to deal with the customer before talking to the officer (I had a pretty good idea why he was there), so I handed the customer his order and then address the officer.  After he told me he was there to investigate an anonymous complaint, I more or less told him to get fucked.  I asked him if he thought the Novi PD would likely investigate an anonymous claim that he beats his wife every night.  I asked him if he had a search warrant, and when he said no, I told him to leave.

Three weeks ago, we received a notice of violation from the Michigan Department of Health.  The officer in question had sent his report to MDHHS and in the report he mentioned that I had assisted a customer in his presence without a mask on.  That resulted in a $1,000 fine.  Theoretically, if I had assisted two or three customers while he was there, they could and would have fined me $1,000 PER OCCURRENCE.

So, I have made the decision that we are no longer serving law enforcement in any capacity, anywhere in the United States, until further notice.  If a cop wants to buy our stuff, he can do so on our website as a retail customer like anyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your outrage is well-taken.  This whole circus is designed to drive another wedge between police and the people we're supposed to be serving.  

Our department sent out a general order stating that we ARE NOT to enforce any health department regulations.  They can do that for their selves if they feel so strongly about it.  We aren't even allowed to "assist" with one of their inspectors.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds pretty fair to me. Someone snitched on me I wouldn’t even give them the option you provided.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll do business with you if in the area, where in Mi are you? [Novi?]

Hell, I'd blackball the entire department from buying anything.

I'd fight the ticket by claiming [as true] that the police officer let the customer in without your permission and thusly was instrumental in the violation by personally contributing to the incident without your permission.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
they dont. my friends medium size agency in sofla literally has a 10x12 room of hst and gold dot 556.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somehow I doubt the kings men would have issues.

And all this time I thought that was just a marketing trade-name.   Here's hoping said department has security cameras and tracking system, because those things pretty much are dots of gold right now.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Nah they’re above us peasants
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top