User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut out salt too.  You’ll get plenty
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You can but most of the weight loss will be from the waist/hips down if that's all you do.  At least that was my experience last year when I lost 17 pounds.

I cut out bad habits during the week -stopped drinking sodas, quit eating fast food or sandwiches for lunch, drank small protein drinks for lunch instead, and only 1 beer during dinner.  Weekends I relaxed the rules on beer and might have a soda with a meal only,  no refills to go.  Still had my belly fat but waste size went down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
As noted, yes.

I've been the same weight (5'8", 165lbs) for almost 20 years.

I don't drink any alcohol, I drink maybe 2-3 soft drinks a month, rarely eat bread, and rarely eat any "sweets". I do eat maybe 1-2 cookies a week. Hard to kick those for me.

Basically all I drink is extremely watered down juice, mainly because I feel like water tastes bad unless you are very thirsty. I grab a gallon of whatever Hawaiian Punch flavor and mix it as 4 parts water, 1 part juice. The gallon usually lasts me a month or two. At work, it's straight water.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and a little exercise
IE 45 minutes a day helps even more

MyFitnessPal is a good free program to keep track
of calorie intake on your smart phone
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the taste of diet soda.  If I can't have the real thing I'd rather not have any of it.
View Quote

Good. Diet soda isn't as safe as you might think.

........more

In 2009, 50 per cent of Americans consumed approximately 227 grams of sugar each day - equating to 81.6 kg per year (179#).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It definitely works for the first pass, swap your regular sodas for diet to make it easier.

You can also start substituting leaner cuts of meat, lower fat ground beef, and boneless skinless chicken breasts into your recipes. Look at lower fat cheeses too.

Sautés in a nonstick pan with cooking spray.

Also remove chips and replace them with air popped popcorn or smart pop microwave popcorn. You can add the zero / low calorie sprinkles to it.

Replace your regular food items with low calorie high volume foods.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want to flatten the stomach you need to start doing core exercises.   It helps prevent back injuries if you have balanced muscles as well.
View Quote

Wrong

You cannot spot reduce fat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can but most of the weight loss will be from the waist/hips down if that's all you do.  At least that was my experience last year when I lost 17 pounds.

I cut out bad habits during the week -stopped drinking sodas, quit eating fast food or sandwiches for lunch, drank small protein drinks for lunch instead, and only 1 beer during dinner.  Weekends I relaxed the rules on beer and might have a soda with a meal only,  no refills to go.  Still had my belly fat but waste size went down.
View Quote

Everybody stores body fat differently. You just lose from your belly last. It has nothing to do with the method of weight loss.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Or not?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Calories in, calories out. Any other plan is just vanity and illusion.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Congrats on the weight loss.  That's awesome!
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
When I stopped sodas, severely limited salt intake, increased water, dramatically limited snacking and carbs at dinner I dropped 16 pounds in a couple of months.  I'm convinced that sugar and salt are pretty addictive as it was rough to quit the sodas and so dramatically reduce salt intake.

What really surprised me was that when I limited the salt intake inflammation and the accompanying pain in joints went WAY down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've decided to cut out all soda, and 90% of the sweets along with eating a little better.  I know I should cut out everything bad but I need something in my life and I'm not 350 pounds.  Currently 210 pounds at 6'2" but my spare tire has inflated over the past 3-4 years so I think I need to cut some weight.  My schedule doesn't allow for a lot of free time and exerciser but some is possible.
Suggestions?
View Quote

Done it, down 60lbs and staying that way for 5+ years.

Coffee with just a splash of milk is OK and after a week or so you don't miss the sugar.  Coke Zero is close enough and actually does taste mostly like coke.  And is good to mix bourbon into.  Or rum if that is your thing.  Unsweet tea for sweet tea (I'm in the South, this is kinda important to us) -  as long as it is good tea it works ok for BBQ.

Deserts and treats and stuff, just limit your quantity and frequency.  And when the holidays come or whatever, go ahead and have both kinds of pie - four or five "splurge moments" per year won't put it back on - just compensate by skipping any treats a few days before and after.

Watching your carb intake will help with the weight loss too - eat slower, use a smaller plate and it is easy to eat 75% of what you normally do (and us Americans are terribly over-served when it comes to balanced meal intake)

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wrong

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want to flatten the stomach you need to start doing core exercises.   It helps prevent back injuries if you have balanced muscles as well.

Wrong

You can't spot reduce fat, but you can tone up the muscles and flatten the stomach.  

I suppose that depends on how much of a stomach the OP has, but at that weight and height he should be able to do it.  Worst case he is in better muscular shape with a stomach, best case he gets a flat stomach also
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Ditch processed meats and processed carbs while you are at it, those are equally terrible for you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
soda, candy, and carb snacks between meals are the biggest problem for most people.  you can enjoy a dessert or an occasional beer/soda and still trim down.  the problem is when you make these things default grazing items.

what helped me the most was stopping the calorie intake between meals.  eat a meal, then stop consuming calories until the next meal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I lost 10 pounds in about a month by cutting out soda.  I wasn't really fat.  About 175 but not in shape.  Lost 10 pounds and basically it looked like it all dropped from my belly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
An MMA gym I used to train at had this fat kid who came in all the time. I mean obese, not just chunky. He worked his ass off, even sparred kickboxing with us a few times, and had surprisingly good cardio for all that extra weight he had to move around.

We could never figure out how he stayed so fucking fat. Well, eventually one day I noticed the weight was just falling off this guy. Seemed like he was dropping like 10 or 15 lbs a week.

I asked him what he was doing different, and he said he cut out sodas. That's it. Even with all that intense cardio and an otherwise decent diet, he couldn't drop any weight as long as he drank sugary sodas all goddamn day.

And neither can you, so knock it off.
View Quote

Diet sodas ftmfw
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#19]
What do you people even learn in school down there?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#20]

You bet. And getting all of that damn High Fructose Corn Syrup poison out of you system will make you feel great. And your liver will thank you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#21]
if you start drinking nothing but water you're likely to cut out close to half of your daily calories
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes. I dropped 20 pounds last year drinking more coffee and no soda, plus cutting out some other trash food.  Wasn't even really trying to lose weight, just wanted to eat healthier.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What do you people even learn in school down there?
View Quote

That carbs are good!

They even taught that in”health” classes in high school....

See?

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd say 100% diet.  Exercise just burns calories that you already took in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

You're on the right track.

I'd say 100% diet.  Exercise just burns calories that you already took in.

I'd agree. I damn ate eat myself broke the times I was working out hard 6 days a week cardio and strength. Never lost weight, just got cut and more fit while gaining an insatiable appetite.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That carbs are good!

They even taught that in”health” classes in high school....

See?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/B907CEC3-E600-4180-BEFD-3A98E9D0EF9D-1786128.jpg
View Quote

It does say at least 1/2 should be whole grains and sugar is in the top...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I cut out soda about 10 years ago. Now when I try one I can only drink about a quarter of it. It tastes like a melted popsicle!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I bet you I can gain fat eating only "healthy" food.

Losing and gaining fat is about caloric intake. Not that you should eat like shit, but you can maintain a normal weight eating like shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.  

HFCS, sugar, processed foods and hydrogenated vegetable oils are the devil.  Cut those out and you will drop weight.  Couple that with exercise and fitness will follow quickly.  It’s important to include strength, cardio and flexibility in your training.  Your body needs all three.

I went from 270 to 189 in the course of a year just by cutting out those things and exercising regularly.  Americans eat crap and are sedentary.  If one wonders why we are having the obesity problems we do, they need to look no further than a sedentary lifestyle enabled by technology and the introduction of HFCS that is in nearly everything people eat.

Losing and gaining fat is about caloric intake. Not that you should eat like shit, but you can maintain a normal weight eating like shit.

Soda doesn't really fill you up though. It's unlikely to be replaced by other calories.  I usually liked something salty with soda, so I'd much on chips or peanuts while drinking it. I actually cut more than the soda out of my diet when I dropped it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Soda doesn't really fill you up though. It's unlikely to be replaced by other calories.  I usually liked something salty with soda, so I'd much on chips or peanuts while drinking it. I actually cut more than the soda out of my diet when I dropped it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.  

HFCS, sugar, processed foods and hydrogenated vegetable oils are the devil.  Cut those out and you will drop weight.  Couple that with exercise and fitness will follow quickly.  It’s important to include strength, cardio and flexibility in your training.  Your body needs all three.

I went from 270 to 189 in the course of a year just by cutting out those things and exercising regularly.  Americans eat crap and are sedentary.  If one wonders why we are having the obesity problems we do, they need to look no further than a sedentary lifestyle enabled by technology and the introduction of HFCS that is in nearly everything people eat.

I'm not arguing against cutting out sugar soda.

I was just countering the guy that is suggesting that the only way to lose weight is to get rid of all high fructose corn syrup, sugar, processed foods, and hydrogenated vegetable oils.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#29]
At 50yo I dropped 100+ 5 years ago..and kept it off.  Diet is huge. I ride my bikes a ton but I could still gain easily if I didn't watch my diet.  Remember those portions on the lunch tray in elementary school? A scoop of this, a scoop of that and a little square of dessert and a drink? That's actually not that far off of what I eat now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#30]
210lb at 6,2" and worried about weight? Are you a fucking stick figure?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've decided to cut out all soda, and 90% of the sweets along with eating a little better.  I know I should cut out everything bad but I need something in my life and I'm not 350 pounds.  Currently 210 pounds at 6'2" but my spare tire has inflated over the past 3-4 years so I think I need to cut some weight.  My schedule doesn't allow for a lot of free time and exerciser but some is possible.
Suggestions?
View Quote

I never really drank sugary drinks but chips and processed foods were daily occurrence for me.

I am 6'2 with HCM (heart condition). I was 230 on Sept 13 when I went strict paleo diet. Only meat, low glycemic veggies and fruits, eggs, tree nuts etc...keep it under 20 carbs a day, no processed food or sugar. I'm down to 180 now. Feel great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Can't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Suggestions?
View Quote

You can if cutting those things out gets you into a calorie deficit.  If you’re burning 3k cals a day, eating 2000 of Whole Foods and drinking 600cals of soda, you can still lose weight. You can still gain weight eating nothing but healthy food.

Thing is most tend to throw the sweets/sugars on top of their normal (shitty) diet and they blow up.  Balance is everything. Nothing wrong with some soda or a donut every once in a while if you’re good otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I stopped drinking sodas about 10 years ago. Now I drink 1 cup of coffee a day, tea sweetened with splenda, and water.

I used to drink 6-12 mtn dews a day. I initially dropped 15 pounds by just cutting out the soda.

I cant stand a soda now. Even diet sodas are too sweet. At hunting camp each year I will try to drink a coke. Cant even finish one without feeling sick. I take a sip of my wifes dr pepper occasionally when we eat out, makes me gag every time. Reminds me how nasty sodas are.
View Quote
Same here. There is approx 120-150 calories per 12oz can of regular sugared soft-drink. One tsp is equal to 10 calories, so each can has 12-15 tsp of sugar or its equivalent.

I have switched to drinking flavored soda water or sparkling mineral water etc, which has zero calories. BUT read the label carefully, some of them  contains artificial sweetener. Here in Socal, I drink Crystal Geysers, Traders Joes Mineral Water, and Arrowhead Sparkling Mineral Water. Water is quite heavy, I am sure that throughout the US, you guys have your own brand of mineral water.

For those of you who drink coffee with sugar, I switched from 2-3 tsp of sugar to half-tsp. I use the brown sugar, instead of the white refined white sugar. I also use the reduced fat milk for my cereal and coffee. I tried non-fat but that is like . Good luck everybody!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It does say at least 1/2 should be whole grains and sugar is in the top...
View Quote

I will have to do some google’ing/research...

Obviously, drinking a regular soda or adding sugar to your morning coffee spikes your blood glucose level.

In turn, that triggers an insulin response.

Which sends a signal to your body to store fat.

Or at the least, that is how I currently understand it.

Ssssssoooooo...,

My question is : does eating carbs like bread and rice also elicit the same insulin response and subsequently tells the body to store fat?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I cut out soda about 10 years ago. Now when I try one I can only drink about a quarter of it. It tastes like a melted popsicle!
View Quote

They really are just liquid candy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You can if cutting those things out gets you into a calorie deficit.  If you’re burning 3k cals a day, eating 2000 of Whole Foods and drinking 600cals of soda, you can still lose weight. You can still gain weight eating nothing but healthy food.

Thing is most tend to throw the sweets/sugars on top of their normal (shitty) diet and they blow up.  Balance is everything. Nothing wrong with some soda or a donut every once in a while if you’re good otherwise.
View Quote

On the 2nd page of this thread, I posted up my FitBit data on my walking at work.  Here it is again just so you don’t have to go back a page:

So here is the corresponding calories I have burned by doing all that walking :

Ssssoooo..., throw in all the extra calories I burn from walking....

And then throw in...errr ....throw out the 1,200 calories I am not ingesting (3 to 4 times a week)

A coke
A king size Snickers
A king size PayDay bar

and BOOM!

35 pounds lost in 6 weeks!

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They really are just liquid candy.
View Quote

If you watch Dr. Lustig’s video :

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - CondensedLectures

You will understand that a coke is really an “engineered” product.

They add salt to it so it triggers your body’s thirst response.

To hide the saltiness to it, they smother it with sweet tasting HFCS.

So that alone makes your body want to drink more.

Then they add in caffeine which is a diuretic.  It makes you pee more, so your body wants more to drink.

It reminds me of all the chemicals the tobacco industry puts in cigarettes to make them more addictive.

Either industry really doesn’t give a shit about your health.

All they want is your money.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#39]
One of my buddies lost 100+ pounds by changing his diet and walking more. He never went to a gym. He’s kept it off too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Does a bear shit in the woods?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I worked with a guy that was 6-2 and maybe 150lbs. He only ate one meal a week and starved the rest of the time. I don't know how he did it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Did my wife put you up to posting this OP?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#43]
If you're not losing weight, eat less and move more until you do.

It really is that simple. It's called thermodynamics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Tally up the total carbs from your sodas in one day, take a bag of sugar and weigh that out on a reloading scale.

That should be enough to mentally cut out the sodas.

A 12oz can of coke, 40g of sugar, is 16 packets worth.

Then ask yourself how your body can process that. Two restaurant sodas and a to go cup would be about 50 packets or more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Weight loss happens at the table fitness happens in the gym
View Quote

This is so very spot on.  My wife and I gave up soda a few years ago.  Outside of maybe on or two a year (usually after coming off the trail and famished...the sugar rush is incredible).  

We have really cut down on the carbs as well and rarely eat bread.  We do eat tortillas, but in moderation.  

Speaking of moderation, my challenge with weight loss is less about the diet (well, it is important) and more about portion control.  I grew up where I would get beat for not "cleaning up my plate" as a kid.  I eat everything on my plate.  Reducing portions is the only way for me and drinking more water.  I no longer have cravings for deserts/sweets or sodas...

Our diet is quite healthy, but our other biggest vice:  BEER.  We love visiting breweries and trying new craft beer, but they have a ton of calories and alcohol can jack your metabolism up.  We now just treat ourselves to one or two on the weekend...it sucks, but it's getting easier.

We work out hard 4 days a week and in-between we'll do stretching routines and/or abs on off-days.  I need cardio to really burn calories and my favorite way is the elliptical (my wife likes running and stationary bike).  

Moderation is okay; balance is essential; portion control; fitness helps increase your metabolism; avoid too many carbs, but don't cut out your protein!  Discipline, discipline, discipline.  You'll have ups and downs, good days and bad days.  Don't let that discourage you, just keep working at it and stay positive...it takes a lot of repetition (even with failures) to break bad habits or unhealthy vices...

We've found it's not so much about crash diets and periods of exercise, it's about changing your lifestyle...for the better.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That shit is in everything, especially condiments and salad dressings.
View Quote

The calories (from sugar mostly) in some ketchups and relishes is staggering.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I will have to do some google’ing/research...

Obviously, drinking a regular soda or adding sugar to your morning coffee spikes your blood glucose level.

In turn, that triggers an insulin response.

Which sends a signal to your body to store fat.

Or at the least, that is how I currently understand it.

Ssssssoooooo...,

My question is : does eating carbs like bread and rice also elicit the same insulin response and subsequently tells the body to store fat?
View Quote

At the end of the day it's calories in calories out.

Twinkie Diet

Of course it's best for health to have a consistent mix of proteins, fats, carbs, and fiber that has an overall lower glycemic index and lower glycemic load spread evenly throughout the day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

On the 2nd page of this thread, I posted up my FitBit data on my walking at work.  Here it is again just so you don't have to go back a page:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/DCDF8286-B9F0-44A7-B670-72904B8BDBAE-1785906.png

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/98257FC1-FCCA-4677-BF72-526B5224E626-1786233.png

And then throw in...errr ....throw out the 1,200 calories I am not ingesting (3 to 4 times a week)

A coke
A king size Snickers
A king size PayDay bar

and BOOM!

View Quote
Help me understand how these fitbits work (I don't own one)

It takes at most about 20 minutes to walk a mile.
On Friday you walked 9.26 miles. 20 minutes X 9.26= @3 hrs

If you are awake for approx. 16 hrs of the day, you burn approx. 200 calories an hour just existing/sitting idle.

So for 13 hrs of the day you were burning 200 cal/hr for a total of 2,600 calories
For the 3 hrs of time it took to walk 9.26 miles you burnt 300 calories (assuming @100 calories per mile for walking)
That's a total of 2,900 calories burnt on Friday.
How does the fitbit come up with 4,921 calories?
I must be missing something?
I'm genuinely curious about how those calorie calculations come out according to the fitbit.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you are awake for approx. 16 hrs of the day, you burn approx. 200 calories an hour just existing/sitting idle.

So for 13 hrs of the day you were burning 200 cal/hr for a total of 2,600 calories
For the 3 hrs of time it took to walk 9.26 miles you burnt 300 calories (assuming @100 calories per mile for walking)
I'm genuinely curious about how those calorie calculations come out according to the fitbit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the 2nd page of this thread, I posted up my FitBit data on my walking at work.  Here it is again just so you don't have to go back a page:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/DCDF8286-B9F0-44A7-B670-72904B8BDBAE-1785906.png

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/98257FC1-FCCA-4677-BF72-526B5224E626-1786233.png

A coke
A king size Snickers
A king size PayDay bar

and BOOM!

They aren't very accurate for calories burned. They can be way high or way low.

They are useful to determine activity level. If you average 10,000 steps and are now on a diet and you are averaging 6,000 steps, your activity is down. It's good for some people to set a step goal each day.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top