Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up skiing in VT, NH, and ME.  Killington was always my favorite.

Don’t ski anywhere down south. When slope conditions get icy.....well, they have “special” ice down there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in New England. Killington (VT) or Sunday River (ME) are good. I go to Snowshoe (WV) and Wintergreen (VA) now because they're convenient, I wouldn't come from FL for those.

If your benchmark is skiing west of the Mississippi, prepare to be unimpressed by anything east of it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the current guidelines for Stowe.

Not much snow according to my brother in Williamstown, and some places are only allowing VT residents on the lifts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same here. East, Midwest and now northern Rockies.

The east sucks.
The Midwest sucks about .05% less.
View Quote

On the other hand, if you’re a beginner or low-mid capability you won’t notice a difference (groomed snow is groomed snow) except New England can be much much colder than typical on the west coast. That usually only happens for like a week or two out of the year though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:[/b

Agreed. In the East you spend more time in line for the lift than it takes to get down the mountain. I would go west, I lived in CO for a while and skied all over, eastern slopes can't compare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:[/b
[b]Quoted:
I grew up skiing the northeast, from southern VT, and MA, up to the Canadian Border.

Tons of great mountains (if they have snow)
Not off to the best season at this point, pretty much anywhere on the east coast.

Prepare to be disappointed. The best the northeast has to offer, with the best conditions, is about a 5 or a 6 on the Rockies scale.
Still fun, but if you are in Florida, and are traveling for this, then just head out west. You can be in Park City in less time than it takes to fly to somewhere close enough to drive to the mountain around here.

Agreed. In the East you spend more time in line for the lift than it takes to get down the mountain. I would go west, I lived in CO for a while and skied all over, eastern slopes can't compare.

This is true.

We did find a really great mountain way up in Ontario years ago.

Technically still east I think.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a beginner, but I'm rusty. I've skied waist deep pow in the glades at Mary Jane and Steamboat in the past. Probably looking for some groomed cruisers to get started on again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I haven't been skiing yet this year. I may not, first time in probably 25 years. Snow is not great, prices are increasing, fewer lifts running equals long wait times.

But if you really want to "Ski the East" look at Jay Peak. One of my favorites and often not as crowded. Stowe is insane and they are over $100 a ticket now. Killington is fun to ski, but same as Stowe - lines can be 45 minutes long easily.

My advice? Go back west....
View Quote

Came here to say Jay. Lived 35 minutes away. The only part of VT winter that I miss.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
ME:  Sugarloaf, then Sunday River

NH: Cannon, Loon, Attitash, Wildcat, Waterville Valley, Bretton Woods
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
i always remember Okemo being nice. Close to Killington and a less-crowded, smaller alternative
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]
North Carolina and Gatlingburg  are popular around here. Get off work and be on the slopes in an hour and a half.

Gatlingburg also has several mountain coasters. Skip to 3:30 for the ride.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thread needs pics.

Here’s me from Saturday with one of my sons in tow

Attachment Attached File

Just me from Saturday

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are coming to New England, stay somewhere in VT, you can be within a couple hours drive of a bunch of resorts in VT, NY or NH.  Covid is playing havoc with with some ticket availability on the weekends along with special parking issues (need to use an app)

We live 15 minutes from Killington/Pico and my wife skis a couple times a week and tries to hit alot of the smaller mountains like Sugarbush, Smugglers Notch, Okemo and Pico but she still makes a trip out west every year.  

We have finally started to get some snow in the last few weeks and it looks like it will stick around with the upcoming cold weather, December was a roller coaster of warm/cold temps
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Awesome, dude! I am sitting on my balcony in shorts, looking at green grass, and jonesing hard for a taste of winter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Where was that? We're heading up to Beech in February
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Killington, Sunday River...there’s a ton.

Or, you could come to UT for some real mountains and good snow.
View Quote

Killington, Sunday River and Loon are my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Snowshoe mtn.  West Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're in FLA, so no matter where you go, it'll require travel. If I had to travel to ski, there's no place in the east I'd go before heading west.
Better mountains, better weather, better snow, consistently in the west. Colorado's skiing reputation is not hype.

View Quote

Exactly as he said.  Pay a little more and go west.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Canada.  We typically have ice in New England, but it’s been so warm the skiing sucks this year.

And the COVID mandatory quarantines are making it so tough.  Go forward two weeks to ski for a few days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Snowshoe in WV is wonderful.  Fly in to Elkins or drive there.

Resort is at the top of the mountain, and it's beautiful.

https://s3.onthesnow.com/images/trailmaps/west-virginia/snowshoe-mountain-resort/20151028160116/xlarge.jpg
View Quote
I guess it depends on the conditions and how good you are.

I skied there in what would be described in Colorado as "spring conditions".  It was February and it was a sunny 45 degrees.  The base was OK, but it appeared to be mostly manmade snow.  The warm temps softened it up a lot and it made for good conditions.  There weren't many moguls due to all the grooming and efforts to keep snow on the trails, but there was a little stretch under the top of Powder Monkey that was kinda fun to bomb through.  Western Territory was deserted and you could schuss all routes nearly straight down.

All in all it was a fun playground since the conditions were good.  I'd compare the most intense skiing they had to "cruising the blues" in CO.  There is enough vertical to have fun, especially in Western Territory.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here. East, Midwest and now northern Rockies.

The east sucks.
The Midwest sucks about .05% less.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not a beginner, but I'm rusty. I've skied waist deep pow in the glades at Mary Jane and Steamboat in the past. Probably looking for some groomed cruisers to get started on again.
View Quote
Unless you score a perfect powder day or spring skiing, you'll spend a couple hours on crappy groomers and you'll be wishing you were back at The Jane.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Snow and Killington for me.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Jay, Whiteface, Okemo, Stowe, Tremblant...it really depends on what you’re looking for. Jay can deliver if they have fresh snow, but can be brutally cold and bulletproof when the wind gets going - you’ll also be surrounded by Quebecois if that matters. White face is great in the spring or with fresh snow; it’s one of the few places you’ll get above the tree line out east. It’s out of the way, so it tends to be pretty quiet outside of World Cup stops. Lake Placid is great little town with a bunch of lodging, food, and shopping options if that stuff matters.

Killi sucks. Stratton is great if you know the mountain and where to get the goods, but it’s expensive from tix, to lodging, and food (if you go, make sure to hit up the Green Door). I have too many memories from Stratton to count; some of my best from my days riding professionally, but it was never the same once the Open moved out west. Stowe is great if you want trees and/or untracked snow several days after a storm.

As others have said, avoid Hunter unless you want to get plowed over by some out of control kook in a Yankees Starter jacket.

With all of that said, if you can both afford and do it, just fly out to SLC and split your time between Brighton and Bird.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Tuckerman's Ravine, Mt. Washington, NH.

Stay in the Fairlawn or Thornycroft suites at The Wentworth. You'll appreciate the private hot tub on your balcony.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sugarloaf looks interesting
View Quote

I'm from Maine and I'd recommend heading to the North Conway area of NH. Bigger selection and better food choices.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
If you've skied in the Rockies then anything in the east will probably be a big disappointment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oddly enough those two were my favorites. Stowe good too. Great little town there

Did find out it wasn’t any more expensive than to go to Italy and ski for a week tho. That was an absolute blast. Skiing an entire mountain range. Up and down, across, lifts between mountains, busses, huge gondolas, mountain top chalets
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to take the family to Snowshoe and had tons of fun.

We started going out west and that fun increased by a factor of ten.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
North Carolina and Gatlingburg  are popular around here. Get off work and be on the slopes in an hour and a half.

Gatlingburg also has several mountain coasters. Skip to 3:30 for the ride.
View Quote

Gatlinburg usually sucks.

They mostly have man-made snow due to the lack of cold weather. The temps get warm enough to melt the snow regularly and then it's like skiing on frozen rocks--very bumpy and hurts when you fall.

This has been even more true the last two years because of mild winters. Last year, they weren't hardly even open at all due to not being able to keep man-made snow on the ground.

If you can catch a big snow then it's not too bad but still nowhere near as good as skiing in the Rockies.

As mentioned, the wait for a lift will be much longer than the time you get to spend skiing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oddly enough those two were my favorites. Stowe good too. Great little town there

Did find out it wasn’t any more expensive than to go to Italy and ski for a week tho. That was an absolute blast. Skiing an entire mountain range. Up and down, across, lifts between mountains, busses, huge gondolas, mountain top chalets
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a trip to Europe planned for this past December...was gonna include 3 days at Samnaun/Ischgl which is a resort that straddles the Austrian/Swiss border (technically 2 separate resorts, Samnaun on the Swiss side and Ischgl in Austria, but they're fully integrated with one another). You can literally ski from one country to another, take the lift to the top, and ski back to the first country. Had to cancel obviously, thanks CCP.

Skied at Garmisch a couple times as a kid, it was awesome but the snow there isn't reliable enough for the time of year we were planning on going.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#31]
NC outside of Boone Sugar and Beech.  Snowshoe in West Virginia is very good for East Coast IMO.  Nothing here compares to out west.  I did a week in Salt Lake one time, it is pretty unbelievable compared to here. Headed to sugar or beech in two weeks
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#32]
No snow out here. Not worth coming out

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Vermont or NH
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Really, the guy is in FL and he doesn't know where to go skiing?  In FL, the boots are attached to the skis.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#35]
When I retire in 3yr 7mo 12 days I have dreams of skiing every ski area in the US.  Until then, I’m not much help on East coast skiing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry, glitch in the Matrix, see below.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't do it!  Sounds like you're getting on a plane no matter what.  Head west, period.
View Quote

Better yet, head further east and go to the Alps.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I live in Western New York State. As much as I despise this state, we do have some decent skiing.

Just in my area we have Holiday Valley in Ellicottville.  Ellicottville is a great little town with lots of places to shop and eat and drink, and Holiday Valley itself is a very nicely maintained resort, and a fairly large ski area. If I decide to stay in this perpetually benighted State, I will likely move to Ellicottville.

There is also Peak n Peek near Findley lake.  It is a little bit smaller than Holiday Valley, and Findley lake is a smaller Community as well, but both are still pretty nice.

There is Cocaigne, near Cherry Creek.  They shut down maybe eight years ago now when their Lodge burned to the ground. I was there that night and it was pretty awful. They just finally got back up and running this year under a new owner. It is a very small operation right now, and there isn't much around it except for Cherry Creek which is a couple of miles away.

There are also Swain, Kissing Bridge, Bristol Mountain, and Holimont (a private members only club in Ellicottville - they allow non members to ski on weekdays IIRC), but I have never skied at any of those. I cannot tell you about them one way or another.

If you go further east, there are a ton of ski resorts in the Adirondacks area. As others have mentioned, Vermont has some fantastic skiing as well. I have skied at Stowe and Okemo. Okemo was the single best day of skiing I have ever had, and the two days I was at Stowe was my second worst and second best day ever skiing. In addition to those two are Killington, Smugglers Notch, and Jay Peak. I know there are several more, but I don't know much about them.

If you have any questions about the ones in Western New York, feel free to IM me.  I am very familiar with Ellicottville and still pretty familiar with Peak n Peek and Cocaigne.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ME:  Sugarloaf, then Sunday River

NH: Cannon, Loon, Attitash, Wildcat, Waterville Valley, Bretton Woods
View Quote

I grew up skiing Attitash/Bear. Good memories.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Jays Peak.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Tons of places in NH.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Get on a plane and go to Utah.  
If you want to drive and have the flexibility to go to WV when the snow report is favorable, it can be good.  Snowshoe is 6 hours from Charlotte, NC, it's a long drive from FL.  
Last time we booked early Feb. at Snowshoe, it rained every day.  
There is a small resort called Winterplace right off the interstate and about 3.5 hours North of Charlotte that I would only consider if you have beginners with you and you're desperate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Getting 5 more inches tomorrow too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#44]
My buddy is partial to Jay Peak in VT.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#45]
We always drove up to Stowe from FL as a kid. I flew out to Colorado as an adult and hopped around from Breckenridge, Winter Park and Steamboat. I wouldn't waste my time on the east coast if I were you. It's 1990 miles to Steamboat or 1400 to Stowe from Orlando. I'd drive the extra 600 miles if you're set on driving.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I could totally do this

Jerry of the Day Backflip Fails

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Jay Peak or Smugglers Notch Vermont
Loon in NH
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I grew up skiing the northeast, from southern VT, and MA, up to the Canadian Border.

Tons of great mountains (if they have snow)
Not off to the best season at this point, pretty much anywhere on the east coast.

Prepare to be disappointed. The best the northeast has to offer, with the best conditions, is about a 5 or a 6 on the Rockies scale.
Still fun, but if you are in Florida, and are traveling for this, then just head out west. You can be in Park City in less time than it takes to fly to somewhere close enough to drive to the mountain around here.
View Quote

This.

We haven’t got shit for snow this year (yet).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Come to WV.  We got a decent snow right now. Snowshoe is a pretty good one.

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/

View Quote

^THIS. Snowshoe is probably the closest good resort.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Snowshoe, WV
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top