BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your name is still out there. More than likely the PO box will be nearby your home as well. Unless there are a bunch of "John Smith" near you it won't be terribly difficult to track someone down.

Not to mention if it comes down to getting cancelled, they'll just cancel all of them. They won't care.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PO boxes are perfectly acceptable to use with your application.

And I've been around the hobby for a fair amount of time and have yet to experience this narc to the FCC culture I keep getting told is all over the place.

Your name is still out there. More than likely the PO box will be nearby your home as well. Unless there are a bunch of "John Smith" near you it won't be terribly difficult to track someone down.

Not to mention if it comes down to getting cancelled, they'll just cancel all of them. They won't care.

I thought Trump lived in the left's head but Jesus, some of you guys are making the folks running out to get IUDs before he made them illegal seem rational.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.
You seem ... familiar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.
You seem ... familiar.

Winner
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
HAM is Hold And Modify.
Ham is the radio thingy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet.

Many of the radios can be modified to rx/tx out of band.

Back when police radios weren't encrypted, a ham could even encode their radio so it was capable of use on police bands.

I can't imagine the law has changes, but just in case I'll say that 20 years ago it was 100% legal for a licensed ham to use his modified radio to transmit on police channels if the transmission was for communication related to the protection of person or property.

I had an HT confiscated by police.
"Possession of a radio illegally modified for use on police band."  (They admitted no known radio interference)
Had to take them to court to have it returned.
A letter from the FCC was enough to make the judge chuckle and infuriate the states attorney.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

PO boxes are perfectly acceptable to use with your application.

And I've been around the hobby for a fair amount of time and have yet to experience this narc to the FCC culture I keep getting told is all over the place.
View Quote

Then you haven't been paying attention.

They regularly rat out Baofeng users and were instrumental in getting Hobbyking fined millions of dollars for selling video equipment to unlicensed users that were operating on bands that HAM operators don't even use.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The OP has already stated he plans on using the baofengs to stay in touch with friends and family. Without a ham license, this is illegal. Programming the baofengs outside of the frequencies they are approved for is illegal.
Therefore, the OP has admitted he is going to break the law with his radios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who here is planning to break the law? Raise your hand please, and let us know what laws, and when.

I think you just missing the point of the thread.

To buy HAM radio gear, you don't need a license.
To operate HAM gear stuff, you need a paid-for license so that the govt does not shut down your weather and beer chatter you convert into Rf.

Take a gander at this good read, a nifty $50 portable listed there too.
https://theprepperjournal.com/2013/10/17/ham-radio-license-hide-government/

The OP has already stated he plans on using the baofengs to stay in touch with friends and family. Without a ham license, this is illegal. Programming the baofengs outside of the frequencies they are approved for is illegal.
Therefore, the OP has admitted he is going to break the law with his radios.

You enjoying playing junior g-man?  Just turn on your rig and talk about your gout with your elmer buddies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
How did the country ever survive phone books? Imagine being able to look someone's name up in it, and not only get their phone number but their address, too!

Don't discuss breaking laws on the air. Plain and simple. If you're just using ham frequencies to maintain communications with friends and family in a SHTF situation, what would liberals gain by doxxing you? You think my boss is going to fire me for talking on a radio?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How do you develop ability without practice and experience?

How do you plan to practice and gain experience when almost nobody will talk to you because you don't have a callsign?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Then you haven't been paying attention.

They regularly rat out Baofeng users and were instrumental in getting Hobbyking fined millions of dollars for selling video equipment to unlicensed users that were operating on bands that HAM operators don't even use.
View Quote

I haven't followed Hobbyking but reading their FCC notice they worked really hard to get that fine.  Two years of dithering about after warnings and selling transmitters that operated on federal aviation frequencies while playing dumb.  While it may have started with an investigation into one of their devices being used illegally on a ham frequency (which some of their gear could do), it looks like they made quite the rabbit hole for Alice to fall down.

And funny thing about ratting out Baofeng users, our local club loaned a bunch of new hams already programmed UV-5Rs until they were done with them and bought something better.  Or are you talking about people who use them on ham frequencies illegally?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

BOOM!!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Forget repeaters for any sort of SHTF situation. They probably won't be there, and even if they are, will either be locked down by their owners, or jammed solid with the owners of 10,000 cheap Chinese HTs.

View Quote

I’d wager that 3/4 of the folks who own the cheap Chinese radios haven’t a clue what frequencies their local repeaters are on. The same amount of folks probably have no idea how to program their radios.  So, when the SHTF they can run around with their comms attached to their plate carrier looking tacticool but that’s about the extent of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How did the country ever survive phone books? Imagine being able to look someone's name up in it, and not only get their phone number but their address, too!

Don't discuss breaking laws on the air. Plain and simple. If you're just using ham frequencies to maintain communications with friends and family in a SHTF situation, what would liberals gain by doxxing you? You think my boss is going to fire me for talking on a radio?
View Quote

Did you ever think your boss would fire you simply for peacefully attending a protest? What about opinions shared on social media?

Both happen now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Did you ever think your boss would fire you simply for peacefully attending a protest? What about opinions shared on social media?

Both happen now.
View Quote

And neither of them require a radio.  Perhaps a better plan than buying radios to use illegally is to operate within the law and don't send "dangerous" statements through any electronic means.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't wait until we see threads like this with members preaching to others about how they better register that Glock mag or they'll follow you home from the range and tell the ATF on you.

I'm not going to set out looking to break a law but God help me if things go crazy and some radio Fudd turns me in to the gestapo while the world burns.

Yes, that's the message I'm getting from basically every single radio thread. Someone asks basic programming and usage info just in case of an emergency and all they get in reply is you better get a license or else. It's not like they are having a regional prostrate size discussion with all their friends. No one here would give someone the third degree about wanting info on how to clean a suppressor they just ordered and berate them on how they better toe the line with the ATF or a range Fudd will turn them in.

If you give them links to places that could teach them the how-to and give them the info to become legal outside of a shtf environment, you give them the choice and ability to make the right decision. Isn't that the real freedom the majority of us desire?

Edit - this site is an awesome source of information and its terrible when people who could be a source of that information preach to the serfs from their ivory tower.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Non hams  when SHTF:

No Time For Sergeants - "Hallo?!?!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

This sort of thing should stop. Changing accounts is a pretty good strategy for avoiding doxxing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And neither of them require a radio.  Perhaps a better plan than buying radios to use illegally is to operate within the law and don't send "dangerous" statements through any electronic means.
View Quote

OPs point really has nothing to do with legal or illegal operation, and nothing to do with what you actually say during operation.

How many people on Parler never broke the law? How many never said anything dangerous?

With the power of the media behind them, leftists can paint ham radio operators as the bad guys if they choose to. Remember, as Trump supporter you're presumed to be a racist Nazi by a large segment of our society.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No one here would give someone the third degree about wanting info on how to clean a suppressor they just ordered and berate them on how they better toe the line with the ATF or a range Fudd will turn them in.
View Quote

Bullshit.

If someone started a thread about "How do a use this solvent trap suppressor I just ordered" they thread would set land speed records on the way to the trash.

And in about every thread on the subject you'll get people that tell you "use Chirp just don't transmit, heck disabling transmit is even better."  You seem to be mistaking "you should probably practice with it if you actually want to be proficient" with something much more sinister.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OPs point really has nothing to do with legal or illegal operation, and nothing to do with what you actually say during operation.

How many people on Parler never broke the law? How many never said anything dangerous?

With the power of the media behind them, leftists can paint ham radio operators as the bad guys if they choose to. Remember, as Trump supporter you're presumed to be a racist Nazi by a large segment of our society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did we read the same OP?  His first point is "OMG, a list for being a ham".

And if you are going to hide from everything that the left "may" use to vilify you for being a Nazi Trump supporter then it's going to be a long stretch locked in your closet away from everything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

If someone started a thread about "How do a use this solvent trap suppressor I just ordered" they thread would set land speed records on the way to the trash.

And in about every thread on the subject you'll get people that tell you "use Chirp just don't transmit, heck disabling transmit is even better."  You seem to be mistaking "you should probably practice with it if you actually want to be proficient" with something much more sinister.
View Quote

Bullshit. I said suppressor not solvent trap. So no straw man there. Also, spending more time on giving links to testing sites than links in what chirp is and where to find it is exactly the problem. Look at the threads overall especially from the experts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Everyone without a license go out and use your new cheap handie all day and you'll quickly find out why amatuer radio is licensed. Nothing like 40 person pileups on every frequency in and out of  band.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bullshit. I said suppressor not solvent trap. So no straw man there. Also, spending more time on giving links to testing sites than links in what chirp is and where to find it is exactly the problem. Look at the threads overall especially from the experts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

But the problem is you are equating asking about a legally operated supressor and someone wanting to know how to set up his radio to operate on frequencies they have no legal authority to.

That's why hams are like "Pump the brakes before we go off the cliff here."
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Just practice with a local friend that has a license.

People are making this too hard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Lol I have transmitted on UHF/VHF and tacsat for years and never had a license.

Then again it was on military freqs while on active duty.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’d wager that 3/4 of the folks who own the cheap Chinese radios haven’t a clue what frequencies their local repeaters are on. The same amount of folks probably have no idea how to program their radios.  So, when the SHTF they can run around with their comms attached to their plate carrier looking tacticool but that’s about the extent of it.
View Quote

Until they run into me and I will show them how to program it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Remember this “magic” frequency 27.185 MHz.  I’m told you can chat unlicensed literally for hours and nobody will even care.  Instead of giving a legit call sign, you can simply assume an alias.  I would suggest using “Popcorn” or “Rubber Duck”.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And funny thing about ratting out Baofeng users, our local club loaned a bunch of new hams already programmed UV-5Rs until they were done with them and bought something better.  Or are you talking about people who use them on ham frequencies illegally?
View Quote

I am confused. Are you saying they don’t rat them out or they do?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Until they run into me and I will show them how to program it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And if you are going to hide from everything that the left "may" use to vilify you for being a Nazi Trump supporter then it's going to be a long stretch locked in your closet away from everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what OP you read, but the one I read has a link to an article claiming the FCC believes "extremist" groups will be moving discussion to radios now that social media is being censored even more. It also implies and specifically links to another article that implies that these extremists are Trump supporters. In fact, the first bullet point being made in that OP is suggesting putting your info on that public list is a bad idea in this political climate.

There is also a difference between hiding from everything the left may use to vilify us, and going out of our way to make it easy for them by putting our name on the list for them. Especially if there is little practical benefit in doing so. You can get the equipment and learn much of how to operate it without the license. If your purpose for owning them is SHTF, there is a good chance they will be mostly beneficial as a receiver anyways, which you can practice with to your hearts content without a license.

My name is out there next to my callsign, and it was there long before the current political climate. 99.9% of what I've done with a radio since I got that license I could legally do without the license.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But the problem is you are equating asking about a legally operated supressor and someone wanting to know how to set up his radio to operate on frequencies they have no legal authority to.

View Quote

No the problem is that I'm seeing people asking for help with a device for when there are no laws and all they get in response is you better follow the law. So when that guy with a cheap Chinese pos can't turn it on and even hear a local broadcast, it's ok because those who could help pumped those brakes.

It also doesn't escape me that we are talking about two different scenarios but no one seems to want to help the guy that's worried in mine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I am confused. Are you saying the don’t rat them out or they do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't followed Hobbyking but reading their FCC notice they worked really hard to get that fine.  Two years of dithering about after warnings and selling transmitters that operated on federal aviation frequencies while playing dumb.  While it may have started with an investigation into one of their devices being used illegally on a ham frequency (which some of their gear could do), it looks like they made quite the rabbit hole for Alice to fall down.

I am confused. Are you saying the don’t rat them out or they do?

I'm saying you are making a mountain out of a molehill.  The folks that get "ratted on" to the FCC have been big enough dicks that a polite "you're doing it wrong" wasn't a clue to stop.  The folks that get fined by the FCC have been big enough dicks that their "You really need to stop." notice wasn't a reason to follow the rules.

But I can see why some people worry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No the problem is that I'm seeing people asking for help with a device for when there are no laws and all they get in response is you better follow the law. So when that guy with a cheap Chinese pos can't turn it on and even hear a local broadcast, it's ok because those who could help pumped those brakes.

It also doesn't escape me that we are talking about two different scenarios but no one seems to want to help the guy that's worried in mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The folks that ask for help and make it clear that they understand when told what they are seem to get the help they ask for.  The "Fuck you and your rules, tell me how to do this" crowd has less support.

It's curious indeed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve got a bigger problem in that my GOUT Talk Radio license renewal is going up to $35 later this year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Also keep in mind that if you end up wanting to be part of the Army/AF MARS program or the DHS SHARES program, you'll need to have at least a General Class ticket and have your ham radio "MARS modded" to do so. MARS is a license that allows you access to the MARS frequencies but it also requires a certain amount of volunteer participation in MARS activities to maintain that access. The DHS SHARES program has its own HF frequencies and provides emergency communications for the .gov and critical infrastructure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. IMO a better gun analogy is the SBR route.

You can legally own a AR pistol currently. You can legally own a AR rifle currently. If SHTF and the world is lawless, there is nothing stopping you from putting your pistol upper on your rifle lower.

If I'm in the tech forums asking which buffer is best suited for my 16" carbine that will also work well with my 11" pistol in case of that SHTF scenario, it'd be fucking retarded for every other post to tell me what the laws are currently. It's a technical question about a scenario where the operation would be legal, but for whatever reason the hams think you should go SBR a lower so you can buy some buffers and test it out yourself. I get it, getting first hand experience is best, however why is it so hard to share your own first hand experience so the guy can have a good place to start from?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

View Quote
OH SNAP!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

Well that was worth tuning back in for.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

While I may not completely agree with the opinion of "getting your ham license is dumb" I can also think it's a valid opinion that was phrased poorly.
View Quote

I'll admit I phrased it that way to encourage discussion and raise some eyebrows. It certainly did that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a prize for you.

You seem ... familiar.

Not all heroes wear capes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Without reading the thread, there are flaws in your logic.

1.  We're all on a million lists already.
2.  HAM is a great communication method for many emergencies, to include SHTF
3.  HAM isn't a great communication tool for coordinating private activities, illegal or not.
4.  For HAM to be affective you need to have established coms and an established net.  
5.  Operating HAM without a license will likely eventually get you bagged with the feds.
View Quote

It's obvious you didn't read the thread.

Everyone has made those same arguments and I've addressed them. I'm not "operating HAM" and I don't want to as stated repeatedly. There will be no bagging by the feds even though that would make most HAMs quite happy I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for that!  I scored a 40% on the practice tests with ZERO knowledge LOL, so passing the technical is not that hard in my estimation.  A bit more, book learning.

Bouncing off the ISS, sounds cool, bouncing off of  _________ was even cooler in my opinion.  Thus the thirst to understand has been set.
View Quote

Kudos for taking a stab at something new.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm not reading all the pages but the gist I got from his original post was that HAM radios are great.

HAM radio licensing is 'tarded.
View Quote

That's pretty much where I'm at. Yes. I like the idea of the technology, but in actual practice it's boring chit chat and not something I feel the need to run out and sign up for. And I'm not transmitting without a license so pull that finger back from the quote button.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Having a license lets you practice legally in peacetime.  The government already knows where you live, and chances are every person posting in this thread carries a device that lets the government track their location in real time.

If the government went full tyrant mode and started hunting us down the smart man would not be using a callsign or making long or repeated transmissions from a single location.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can legally own a AR pistol currently. You can legally own a AR rifle currently. If SHTF and the world is lawless, there is nothing stopping you from putting your pistol upper on your rifle lower.

If I'm in the tech forums asking which buffer is best suited for my 16" carbine that will also work well with my 11" pistol in case of that SHTF scenario, it'd be fucking retarded for every other post to tell me what the laws are currently. It's a technical question about a scenario where the operation would be legal, but for whatever reason the hams think you should go SBR a lower so you can buy some buffers and test it out yourself. I get it, getting first hand experience is best, however why is it so hard to share your own first hand experience so the guy can have a good place to start from?
View Quote

First 20ish replies and 18 are about licensing.

In the survival forum at that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A few thoughts...
1) It seems to me that getting your HAM license, a call sign, and registering your address with the Federal government (and a very public database) is a terrible idea in the current political climate
View Quote

That's frequently the intent of licensing schemes.    

Quoted:

How do you develop ability without practice and experience?

How do you plan to practice and gain experience when almost nobody will talk to you because you don't have a callsign?
View Quote

Sometimes you just have to deal with the fact that The Man is not your friend.   How much above-the-board callsign related activity is actually applicable to communicating with others when getting busted means more than angry boomers and a fine?   This isn't 1950.

If you don't have people to help in this endeavor, you don't need to worry about transmitting in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's pretty much where I'm at. Yes. I like the idea of the technology, but in actual practice it's boring chit chat and not something I feel the need to run out and sign up for. And I'm not transmitting without a license so pull that finger back from the quote button.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not reading all the pages but the gist I got from his original post was that HAM radios are great.

HAM radio licensing is 'tarded.

When I was considering getting my ham license way back when, I figured I would want it for a SHTF situation. I actually bought a very nice HT (Yaesu VX-8DR). After about 3 years of seeing that somewhat expensive HT sitting unused, I decided maybe I needed to at least get my Technician ticket. Once I did that, then I bought myself a very nice HF/UHF/VHF radio (Yaesu Ft-991). It was several months before I tested for General. Since then, I've bought more radios, more stuff for the radios, antennas of all types, off-grid power supplies and solar panels for them, etc., etc. etc. BRD doesn't just mean Black Rifle Disease. It can also mean Black Radio Disease. Both are addictive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#47]
UHF/VHF repeaters are not the end-all be-all of ham communications.

Practice makes preparedness.

You can skip the Hemmorhoid Net and put your energy in ARES and RACES if you want ot learn about emergency net, message traffic, and be prepared to help in an emergency situation.

There's a lot more to learn about radio than just keying up a repeater. Even learning basic practical antenna theory can be useful when the antennas are blown down in a storm. Learning about propagation in the various bands could help you pick the most effective communication method in a bad situation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprising at all. And all it would take is...

Quoted:

When you "program" one of those Baofeng radios, what does it do?  If I buy a CB, there are already 40 channels set up.  Why do you have to program a Baofeng?

With a CB the radio has preprogrammed the frequency range and settings simplified into the 40 channels. They're made to be consumer friendly and usable by someone with next to no knowledge of how radios actually operate. Baofengs are amateur radios where it's assumed you know how radios operate so you are left to program them yourself into your own channels for whatever part of the ham frequency range you desire. If it were to be simplified down, it's a similar idea to programming the numerical buttons on your car radio to the actual stations YOU want versus the manufacturer programming a set list of stations.

Boom, so simple most children could understand the basic concept. From there, the guy could go "oh that sounds cool, tell me more" or "oh shit I don't have time for that, what's a easier way to communicate via radio?" and we could all go on from there, but nooooooooo.... GET THE LICENSE!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
UHF/VHF repeaters are not the end-all be-all of ham communications.

Practice makes preparedness.

You can skip the Hemmorhoid Net and put your energy in ARES and RACES if you want ot learn about emergency net, message traffic, and be prepared to help in an emergency situation.

There's a lot more to learn about radio than just keying up a repeater. Even learning basic practical antenna theory can be useful when the antennas are blown down in a storm. Learning about propagation in the various bands could help you pick the most effective communication method in a bad situation.
View Quote

The group I was sent down to Puerto Rico with conducted training for the PRNG. The hurricane destroyed their antennas and no one had the requisite knowledge to fix them. So, we taught them how to make a field-expedient antenna. Their "graduation" exercise was they had to make an antenna, hook up the radio that was sitting on a bookshelf unused, and make a call to San Juan.

Knowledge is one of our most potent weapons. Don't leave it in a case in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not surprising at all. And all it would take is...

With a CB the radio has preprogrammed the frequency range and settings simplified into the 40 channels. They're made to be consumer friendly and usable by someone with next to no knowledge of how radios actually operate. Baofengs are amateur radios where it's assumed you know how radios operate so you are left to program them yourself into your own channels for whatever part of the ham frequency range you desire. If it were to be simplified down, it's a similar idea to programming the numerical buttons on your car radio to the actual stations YOU want versus the manufacturer programming a set list of stations.

Boom, so simple most children could understand the basic concept. From there, the guy could go "oh that sounds cool, tell me more" or "oh shit I don't have time for that, what's a easier way to communicate via radio?" and we could all go on from there, but nooooooooo.... GET THE LICENSE!
View Quote

Or the popular I bought one so how do I find freqs to listen to and how do I program them into my radio?.

Now - boy you better get that license or we'll hunt you down.

Proper reality - Basic chirp video this will give you a good overview of how to load freqs. Maybe ask guys in your htf for advice on local freqs. Now, listening is totally legal but if you decide you want to talk here's some sites that will help you with licensing. If you decide not to go that route then you do you.

Am I off-base with that?
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top