BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Strider didn't have a save feature. I know this because my brother was playing one day, got all the way to the end stage, and he moved his leg and accidently hit the RESET button on the front of the NES.  

It's been 30 years and I still laugh at that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ninja Turtles was not on the NES Classic. That made me sad. I never made it past the underwater stage with all the electric seaweed and the timer...
View Quote

That was the fucking level that I never got passed either! Ugh.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Attachment Attached File

Just saw I’m approaching 10,000 posts. Dang.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The key to beating Tyson is surviving the first round.  It's near impossible to beat him the first round, so bet best is to just dodge and keep from getting KO'd.  He's easier in the 2nd and 3rd round, but you have to get him TKO inside one of those rounds.  If it goes to decision, you will lose always.
View Quote

Figure out his pattern and I would have his crazy ass on the canvas in under a minute.  His eyes and your reflexes work together.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That fucking water level in TMNT.

I almost threw that cartridge out the window.
View Quote

Always ran out of time.

Even as a kid I knew that game kinda sucked, but Turtle Power was life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need to change my favorite NES game.

River City Ransom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7xeGpoCScs
View Quote

Great game.  Finally got a chance to sit down and play it all the way through during the summer.  I could never figure out the boss sequence as a dumb kid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Brewstew - Old School Nintendo

8 bit NES made me the man I am today.  And also almost caused an aneurism in an 8 yo me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It's the games that were brutally hard with no save feature.  3 hours of work and boom you're dead after 1 mistake.  Nowadays we have games that are still that hard but they have saves and restarts and difficulty adjustments that mean you probably only lose 5 or 10 minutes before you get to try again.  Some games ghosts and goblins were just brutally hard.  I remember beating some like Bionic Commando that I considered to be extremely difficult, but never had the patience for the insanity class games like ghosts and goblins.  I could beat Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES but the nes original, fuck that.

SNES was peak 2-d console imho.  Platformers and RPG games of better quality than we see today.  We have far superior games nowadays of course, but the storytelling and attention to detail of some of those games like US Final Fantasy II and III... they were made by people dedicated and passionate about their craft.  Not just big studios shitting out blockbusters.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, never made it a minute into ghosts and goblins, a friend had it and I tried about 10 times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I felt like it was a major accomplishment when I beat Super Mario Brothers.  I really felt awesome when I beat it on my first life, without warps or power ups.  I moved on to other games after that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think my favorite NES game was Bionic Commando.

I mean, what's not to like about a game where you get to shoot an unfrozen Hitler in the face with a rocket launcher?
View Quote

I'm just glad the cutscenes were not vital to gameplay, the translation on that one was the worst I can recall.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get a Shield Pro, Kodi, and Diggz build.

Every NES game available.

View Quote

Is the play really the same?  Every emulator I've had was close enough for casual use but you weren't beating contra without the code on that shit.  Not if you were trained in the old ways.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All I had was a 2600 growing up. Had to go to the rich kids houses to play NES and SNES.
View Quote

I traded a rich kid one of those stupid cheap survival rambo knives for his NES and a bunch of games.. The ones with the matches and shit in the handle and the compass on the pommel.  

Honestly at the time it seemed like an even enough trade, I was pretty fucking attached to my rambo knife and that kid lorded it over me for a year afterward.

In retrospect, I was a goddamn little swindler.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's the games that were brutally hard with no save feature.  3 hours of work and boom you're dead after 1 mistake.  Nowadays we have games that are still that hard but they have saves and restarts and difficulty adjustments that mean you probably only lose 5 or 10 minutes before you get to try again.  Some games ghosts and goblins were just brutally hard.  I remember beating some like Bionic Commando that I considered to be extremely difficult, but never had the patience for the insanity class games like ghosts and goblins.  I could beat Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES but the nes original, fuck that.

SNES was peak 2-d console imho.  Platformers and RPG games of better quality than we see today.  We have far superior games nowadays of course, but the storytelling and attention to detail of some of those games like US Final Fantasy II and III... they were made by people dedicated and passionate about their craft.  Not just big studios shitting out blockbusters.
View Quote

You could beat Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES?!?!?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#16]
1942 began my love affair with the P-38 Lightning.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#17]
My brother got me one of those "all the games in 1" mini NES systems for Christmas.

Set it up and played with it for a few hours and was reminded how horrible most of the games were.

I still have my "real" NES around here somewhere too (and C64, Sega and Sega CD)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1942 began my love affair with the P-38 Lightning.
View Quote

The Pizza Hut a town over used to have that.  Great game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My brother got me one of those "all the games in 1" mini NES systems for Christmas.

Set it up and played with it for a few hours and was reminded how horrible most of the games were.

I still have my "real" NES around here somewhere too (and C64, Sega and Sega CD)
View Quote

Yes a lot of them are shit but the classics like Legend of Zelda can be played today and they still hold up.  But yeah, there was a shit ton of bad ones.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I member.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes a lot of them are shit but the classics like Legend of Zelda can be played today and they still hold up.  But yeah, there was a shit ton of bad ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wound up playing Asteroids and Excitebike more then anything.

Oooh, that reminds me, I gotta see if Zaxxon is on there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I was able to land the plane and refuel it as well.

This is one case where I think it might actually be easier in real life.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fans of Bethesda games are probably one of the most prolific at that, though the janky code has a lot to do with that.  I never realized just how extreme they got until 76. The number of exploits, and how quickly they were discovered and abused, was insane.  Some were bad enough to induce a server crash (the strangler heart dupe).
View Quote

Now I dont do stuff like that, and do not know how.  But a little reading I did a couple years ago suggested that the reason people were able to do it so quickly on 76 is because Bethesda is lazy as fuck and just keeps rehashing the same code, and only adds a little here and there.

That said, any news on TES6 yet?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

This dude is hilarious! I need to watch his other vids, if he has any more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I need to change my favorite NES game.

River City Ransom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7xeGpoCScs
View Quote

good choice. I loved that game
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Famicom/NES is still the best system ever made.
View Quote
Loved it, but N64 was my all-time favorite.   Goldeneye, Mario 64, Waverace, F-Zero, and World Driver Championship consumed an embarrassing amount of my time.

Waverace 64 was, and still is, a very addicting game if you are the type who likes to try to put in a "perfect lap/race" in racing games.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That carrier landing was a walk in the park compared to beating Section "Mother fucking" Z
View Quote

I never could beat it.  That game was hard as shit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I went from a 2600 to a Colecovision, then in the 90s I got myself a PS1 and am up to a PS3. I will probably buy a PS% soon. I played some NES while overseas but that's it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I have that shirt.  I don't drink seltzer though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PS1/PS2 IMO. It was in that stage that hardware limitations finally opened up enough to allow for story heavy games, but still limited enough that gameplay couldn't take a backseat, and prior to the corporatization of the entire industry. There are a metric ton of great games published by smaller studios out there for those consoles before the merger, acquisitions, bankruptcies, ETC. hit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would vote SNES, personally.
PS1/PS2 IMO. It was in that stage that hardware limitations finally opened up enough to allow for story heavy games, but still limited enough that gameplay couldn't take a backseat, and prior to the corporatization of the entire industry. There are a metric ton of great games published by smaller studios out there for those consoles before the merger, acquisitions, bankruptcies, ETC. hit.

I loved RE3 and Castlevania SOTN on PS1.
I have SOTN on Xbox and play it so my 4 and 6 yo can watch, they love the music.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Stupid question as I'm pretty technically dumb, but is there a way to play the OG resident evil games and Starfox 64 on Xbone? I would assume no, especially on Starfox as Nintendo seems to have that franchise locked down tight.
The RE3 remake, while beautiful, was complete shit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The frustration of having to constantly blow into the games to get them to work taught that entire generation how to persevere and  "stick with it".

Does anyone else remember finally getting the thing to work and having to walk around on egg shells to prevent it from freezing? You'd walk around like a ninja or else you'd lose your game.
View Quote
I was just gonna say... All of these posts skip past the 10 minute "blow job" you had to do to get the damn thing to work at all.

Then your fucking little brother trips on the cord, and you gotta blow it again AND start over...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Remember having to take notes while playing RPGs?

Mission Log?  Yeah, you had to make that yourself with a notebook.
Dungeon Map?  Get some graph paper.
Objective Waypoints?  Ha!  Want the game to play itself for you or something?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  I remember it being one of the worst, but possible.  Super Ghouls & Ghosts was the 2nd game of that series remade on SNES that gave you a fighting chance.  Ghosts and Goblins was the 1st game and that fucker was impossible on all platforms unless you were willing and capable of perfecting an entire game of patterns.  And I think that 1st game was even worse due to the controls on NES being spotty.  Back in the NES days there were good games that were extremely challenging, and this whole other class of impossible pattern/perfection bastard games that had to be memorized and perfectly played.  Those were too much, though I know guys can do it.  Guys can play pacman till it flips, too.

Someone else posted Contra on NES but that game was not hard at all.  I could play through that game and gain lives every play through.

Only other one that sticks out to me is the arcade version of Gunsmoke.  Had one of those at one of my high school jobs with a lot of downtime and I got to the point of being able to beat it on a quarter.  There's absolutely no way I have the reaction time to do that anymore, though.

I've had legit top 10 leaderboard spots on a few PS3/PS4 era non-fps games here and there over the years, but I'm nothing compared to some of the memorization / twitch reflex freaks out there.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top