BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"People are also not allowed to encode their messages to obscure their meaning from law enforcement."
View Quote

That's always been the case on amateur radio though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

And it has always been unconstitutional.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The FCC Enforcement branch are trying to get additional funding.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are legal ways to encode, but not on amateur radio.   Wifi, for example, is internationally protected communication that allows encryption.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys were making radios in Japanese and German POW camps.  Biden may be a dickhead, but he, and the whole weight of the Federal government can't keep people from having radios.

Or, for that matter, running encrypted conversations on their cell phones and computers.  Even with parallel construction, they're not going to figure out an effective way to do that.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What happens when a couple of Navajos want to have a QSO?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"People are also not allowed to encode their messages to obscure their meaning from law enforcement."
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

What happens when a couple of Navajos want to have a QSO?

They use Pig Latin.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Conservatives are about 90 days from being mandated to sew their mouths shut.
View Quote

Bring the needle and I will bring the lead.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have not personally ordered from them, but their branded DMR radios are one of the more common brands in use.  I wouldn't have an issue ordering from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has to work somewhere since nobody will send him money.

But Radioddity is a legitimate company.

Never heard of them...based on recommendations here, they are definitely GTG?

Thanks!

I have not personally ordered from them, but their branded DMR radios are one of the more common brands in use.  I wouldn't have an issue ordering from them.

Radioddity is GTG. I've ordered from them several times with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The sad thing is that the HAM community will narc the fuck out of everyone they find, licensed or not, in exchange for their Junior G-Man Badge. They will direction find you, make the call, and sleep like a baby while you get vanned in the middle of the night.

Because they're Doing The Right Thing.
View Quote

If it isn't done in the ham bands, most of us simply don't give a shit.

Should the balloon really go up, run whatever ya brung where it'll go. I'd think about ways to thwart DF operations and HARM assets, however.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol, they’ve been reading all of our threads!
View Quote

Yeah no. There are no original ideas here. Pretty much everything here comes from elsewhere. We are always a day late
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess they'll just have to ban cell phones. that will teach the left who can't put one down
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, that's it. No more Pig Latin on the radios, boys.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it still a code if I actually put a chair against the wall first?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
the cat is in the bath...

the cat is in the bath...

cat in bath
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

that place looks like a nigerian prince works there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

that place looks like a nigerian prince works there.
I've ordered from them a few times and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We need a Radio Free America.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Seriously spoke to friends about investing in fax machines, land lines, and radios jic things get really bad. Im glad the USSA feels the need to crack down on old tech since they cant control it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The sad thing is that the HAM Arfcom community will narc the fuck out of everyone they find, licensed or not, in exchange for their Junior G-Man Badge. They will direction find you, make the call, and sleep like a baby while you get vanned in the middle of the night.

Because they're Doing The Right Thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Seriously spoke to friends about investing in fax machines, land lines, and radios jic things get really bad. Im glad the USSA feels the need to crack down on old tech since they cant control it.
View Quote

There isn't that much POTS left.

These days, power goes out and your phone lines aren't that far behind.  If you have fiber internet, your land line is over the same fiber and if the power to your interface box goes out you aren't getting any data in or out.

And even a battery backup box is only going to keep your interface box running 30min-1hr.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol, they've been reading all of our threads!
View Quote
That's the first thing I thought of.

A bunch of people bought cheap radios they'll never learn how to use. They must be terrorists

It would be pathetic if it was a bit scary.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#22]
The HAM radio guys around here are rats / narcs.

I would not trust them with a penny, let alone anything my life depended on ,  They suck onto the governments tit so much its pathetic

I tune my radio in to spy on em all the time and hear them talking about licensing, and how that the FCC needs to make sure only licensed hams can operate a radio
and how big government needs to be so far up their ass they can taste the coffee.

Basically these guys are not our friends,  If  the real  SHTF  then I would hope most of the HAM guys  wreck their cars and crash in a ditch somewhere while trying to set the offset on their radios while driving.

My .02  .  I think all HAM guys are enemies, and they are enemies because they have bought into the government scheme of licensing to use a god given right.
Same with gun owners who pay big  gov for tons of tax stamps.

How about we just say NO to infringements?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The HAM radio guys around here are rats / narcs.

I would not trust them with a penny, let alone anything my life depended on ,  They suck onto the governments tit so much its pathetic

I tune my radio in to spy on em all the time and hear them talking about licensing, and how that the FCC needs to make sure only licensed hams can operate a radio
and how big government needs to be so far up their ass they can taste the coffee.

Basically these guys are not our friends,  If  the real  SHTF  then I would hope most of the HAM guys  wreck their cars and crash in a ditch somewhere while trying to set the offset on their radios while driving.

My .02  .  I think all HAM guys are enemies, and they are enemies because they have bought into the government scheme of licensing to use a god given right.
Same with gun owners who pay big  gov for tons of tax stamps.

How about we just say NO to infringements?
View Quote

one of the most hilarious things i've ever read on the internet was a guy talking about how he was interested in HAM radios, so he got all the equipment and licensing and so on, only to discover that it was just a bunch of 70+ year old guys spending the entire day talking about the many ailments and illnesses they have and all the medication they're on
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

one of the most hilarious things i've ever read on the internet was a guy talking about how he was interested in HAM radios, so he got all the equipment and licensing and so on, only to discover that it was just a bunch of 70+ year old guys spending the entire day talking about the many ailments and illnesses they have and all the medication they're on
View Quote

Yeah there is one guy on our local HAM who's like that.  some old FUDD, probably thinks guns only need to be a shotgun or a lever action.

But there seems to be this guy in his 30s-40s whos a huge stickler on the rules and is always reminding people to repeat their call sign and adhere to FCC rules and such.
sounds like hes a fed to be honest.  The guy sounds like  hes no fun at parties.

These are the sort of people who get into HAM,   and its pathetic.  They're all neutered, not real men.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

New York (CNN Business)The US government is warning that groups could rely on radio equipment as an alternative to social media to plan future criminal activities.

In a stark warning Sunday, the Federal Communications Commission's enforcement bureau said people coordinating or conducting criminal activity over radio waves are breaking the law.

"The Bureau has become aware of discussions on social media platforms suggesting that certain radio services regulated by the Commission may be an alternative to social media platforms for groups to communicate and coordinate future activities," the FCC said in its warning Sunday. "Individuals using radios in the Amateur or Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution."

The FCC licenses certain signals for people to broadcast over radio waves. Those messages are generally protected by the US Constitution's First Amendment. But the FCC reminded radio licensees and operators that it is prohibited to transmit "communications intended to facilitate a criminal act." People are also not allowed to encode their messages to obscure their meaning from law enforcement.

The laws governing airwaves apply to amateurs broadcasting with personal ham radios, which can reach long distances. But they also apply to people using Citizens Band (CB) radios commonly used for communication between truckers -- or even walkie-talkies.

In the wake of the January 6 Capitol riots, Facebook (FB), Twitter (TWTR) and other mainstream social networks have become more vigilant about policing people who use their platforms to plan or incite attacks. They have booted off several high-profile radicals and thousands of groups and users who the platforms say engage in harmful conspiracy theories and other violence or hate speech.

Similarly, Amazon (AMZN), Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOGL) effectively took Parler off the internet. Parler, the alternative social network popular with conservatives, had been surging in popularity in recent months. But the platform failed to rein in hate-filled, violent speech, Big Tech companies allege. Amazon, Apple and Google said that unmoderated speech could lead to another violent attack.

View Quote

Fuck the FCC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah there is one guy on our local HAM who's like that.  some old FUDD, probably thinks guns only need to be a shotgun or a lever action.

But there seems to be this guy in his 30s-40s whos a huge stickler on the rules and is always reminding people to repeat their call sign and adhere to FCC rules and such.
sounds like hes a fed to be honest.  The guy sounds like  hes no fun at parties.

These are the sort of people who get into HAM,   and its pathetic.  They're all neutered, not real men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a radio here (not Baofeng, more expensive and can't think of the manufacturer at the moment) and would listen to it on my way into work.  Literally is what is described above.  Old men bitching about weather, ailments and school busses.  Every once in awhile there are some guys talk about gear, but thats it.

I have an older brother who live in NM and is really into HAM radio.  He even goes camping and takes his setup with him.  He's into something called the Army MARS system.  Not sure what it is, but he seems to think it's important.

My impression of a lot of these guys is that they would have been volunteer hall monitors in high school.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Subjects are not allowed to communicate anymore.
View Quote

Don't be ridiculous, of course communication is allowed.

As long as the subject matter is party approved, comrade - why would you need to communicate on any other subject anyway?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Banning gun forums, sites ect...restricting freedom of speech of people who even hint of discord with this illegal rogue extremist government in Washington.
Now trying to attack people for skirting their online efforts to silence/restrict Americans from speaking about their treachery. To the point that every single person who speaks against this illegal ADMINISTRATION are now TERRORIST.

This powder keg Washington is sitting upon is going to explode and violently by their own accord. Because they apparently want it to happen.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

These days, power goes out and your phone lines aren't that far behind.  If you have fiber internet, your land line is over the same fiber and if the power to your interface box goes out you aren't getting any data in or out.

And even a battery backup box is only going to keep your interface box running 30min-1hr.
View Quote

You ever try one of those phones that do not use power and plug directly in to a wall Jack. Power goes out at house phone still works. Cordless phone don't because you need power.

No batteries or electricity needed to work.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Welp, one more list to be on.

I frankly, don't give a fuck anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#31]
America has way too many worthless 3 letter agencies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Okay now I really want to get my license and buy one of these things.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh no.

Anyway......
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My impression of a lot of these guys is that they would have been volunteer hall monitors in high school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Approved by the ARRL Board of Directors at its July 2018 meeting, the new Volunteer Monitor program is a formal agreement between the FCC and ARRL in which volunteers trained and vetted by the ARRL will monitor the airwaves and collect evidence that can be used both to correct misconduct or recognize exemplary on-air operation. Cases of flagrant violations will be referred to the FCC by the ARRL for action in accordance with FCC guidelines.

http://www.arrl.org/volunteer-monitor-program
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Deny your enemy the ability to move, shoot and communicate.  Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Next thing they ban is smoke signals. Probably already in the climate change bs they want to pass
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lol, they’ve been reading all of our threads!
View Quote

You think?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Next thing they ban is smoke signals. Probably already in the climate change bs they want to pass
View Quote

That's probably already illegal. Deliberately making a fire generate additional smoke? Gotta be a crime in Cali.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Every day I learn a new reason why I am considered a terrorist:

White - check
Male - check
Own firearms - check
Own radios - check
Republican - check
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is very true. At best the pedestals have 24 hrs of battery standby. Our phone & net were out for over a week during the last major storm. Telco isn't going to risk theft by dropping portable gens off at each pedestal. The cable company will power their amplifiers tho, Dancing with the Stars is serious bidness.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've got a radio here (not Baofeng, more expensive and can't think of the manufacturer at the moment) and would listen to it on my way into work.  Literally is what is described above.  Old men bitching about weather, ailments and school busses.  Every once in awhile there are some guys talk about gear, but thats it.

I have an older brother who live in NM and is really into HAM radio.  He even goes camping and takes his setup with him.  He's into something called the Army MARS system.  Not sure what it is, but he seems to think it's important.

View Quote

A former coworker, guy in his 30s, is big into radio.
His work is Network Security.  

GIANT pain in the ass for not only rule following, but making NEW rules and making them as complicated as possible.  

I can't imagine how much his cooter gets wet, thinking about "busting radio pirates."
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#44]
John has a long mustache.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
They could have simply said, "Crimes are criminal". Duh.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not just electronic ones,  closing bars and churches keeps people from talking with their neighbors.
View Quote
Well, Fuck. I'm thinking now.

Yeah. That checks out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck you dude, I didn’t see your ass next to me with a rifle and pistol in my state Capitol building protest years before it was safe and fashionable. Not everyone gets their ham ticket so they can talk about the boils on their ass. For some of us it’s the means to an end-communication without being monitored and data mined.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#49]
which baofengs should i get?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You ever try one of those phones that do not use power and plug directly in to a wall Jack. Power goes out at house phone still works. Cordless phone don't because you need power.

No batteries or electricity needed to work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94613/images_jpeg-1-1784705.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/94613/HTB1_oHWOFXXXXcCaFXXq6xXFXXX5-1784706.jpg
View Quote

Where do you think the power for that phone comes from?

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top