Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But muh real steel
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've literally published the tests to try to convince people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck

But muh real steel

watch how the dummy in the old car flings all about compared to the dummy in the new car.  If that were a real person, he'd be all sorts of fucked up.

That is, if he survived the collapsing of the dashboard into him.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Boomers be mad a 700 dollar smart phone is required for even a basic job and "sorry no high speed internet" is an auto disqualifier for any job. Fast food included.

Fun thread though.
View Quote
What jobs?

What are you people doing? No job I have ever worked has required a personal cellphone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Judging from the amount of ASS-HURT that has ensued from my comment on phones and data plans...it appears I was spot on correct.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

watch how the dummy in the old car flings all about compared to the dummy in the new car.  If that were a real person, he'd be all sorts of fucked up.

That is, if he survived the collapsing of the dashboard into him.

View Quote

Yep. The passenger compartment in the Bel Air basically comes apart, while the newer model stays together.

Another 50 years of engineering development will do that.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The only logical answer is to stop paying federal taxes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Judging from the amount of ASS-HURT that has ensued from my comment on phones and data plans...it appears I was spot on correct.
View Quote
Haha no doubt. Anyway you look at it it's pretty fucked up...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I do hate that they had to destroy that old Bel Air to prove a point. Seemed like it was in very good shape.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep. The passenger compartment in the Bel Air basically comes apart, while the newer model stays together.

Another 50 years of engineering development will do that.

View Quote

I'll put a Subaru against any boomermobile on the planet
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

2% mortgage and dump the money into something that gets 10% plus. Or don't, because reasons?
View Quote
So, bet the farm and put it into investments, because investments can only go up. Right?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You do you. However i feel sorry for your family if you leave them to have to deal with your debt after your gone.

I haven't had a mortgage payment in over 5 years. And ill never have one again for the rest of my life. Im 38, so hopefully that's a long time. We have way more disposable income than we had when we had a mortgage.

Are you also pro student debt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're uninsurable there are much better ways to take care of a family. No way I would want my liquidity tied up in a house. A 30 year mortgage makes a lot more sense for someone that knows how to manage their assets, so its not the horrible thing you keep making it out to be.

You do you. However i feel sorry for your family if you leave them to have to deal with your debt after your gone.

I haven't had a mortgage payment in over 5 years. And ill never have one again for the rest of my life. Im 38, so hopefully that's a long time. We have way more disposable income than we had when we had a mortgage.

Are you also pro student debt?

I don't know anything about student debt, I dropped out of college after two semesters.

My wife hasn't worked since we were married and she will never have to work if something happens to me. With life insurance and investments she will be able to live off $100K to $125K annually with a 3% increase. That's not including Social Security, so that could add another $36K.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Skip the property taxes for a year and see who really owns the house
View Quote

I agree. We should all stop paying property taxes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bingo.
In scary times it's best to not own anything, so when the govt comes to take it, they are taking the bank's assets, etc. Applies to anything you can finance or lease/rent. It's a good position to be in these days.
View Quote

And when they come for your bank account?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And when they come for your bank account?
View Quote

Will it really matter then?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Then why do American millennials act like they are so much better than everyone else
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I still can't figure the guy out. Very few posts from a 2006 account but I have been noticing him post A LOT in the last few days. Sleeper account or just got out of the slammer
View Quote

I lived off grid for the last 5 years in the middle of no where in Idaho. Building my own cabin out of raw timber from my own land.

I recently sold that property in preparation to one day again move off grid, this time in a much more tropical climate.

I work from home and have been bored as fuck lately without my land to maintain.

But your right, having 50K plus posts is a major achievement.

I have been around since the old board. Lost account info prior to 2006. I come and i go. Ill be going sooner rather than later.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#19]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Get outta here with your fancy facts and evidence.  DCLXVI has his feelings.  

View Quote

I already conceded. I have no dog in the fight. Only experience in low speed fender benders.

I dont even drive a gas powered vehicle anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remember, poorer often means "wealth" not "income".

1. Lower wealth because there is less saving, or less home ownership by Millennials.

2. Lower incomes because they have acquired fewer skills or the education they got was less likely to make them productive.

3. Millennials are much more likely to be racial minorities, who are on average have lower amounts of wealth, and less education and skills.

4. Millennials have been voting for a poor economy since they started voting. They vote for sending jobs to China and quantitative easing. They vote for the policies which make homeownership difficult and expensive. They vote for Karen policies which make the economy run less efficiently, which lowers wages and returns.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL, the Boomers brought this country to her knees.....
View Quote

Liberal boomers perhaps.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What jobs?

What are you people doing? No job I have ever worked has required a personal cellphone.
View Quote

Did you retire 20 years ago?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do hate that they had to destroy that old Bel Air to prove a point. Seemed like it was in very good shape.

View Quote

It was a beautiful car.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Software developer. Automated texts / calls when I'm on support and service tickets come in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What jobs?

Software developer. Automated texts / calls when I'm on support and service tickets come in.
I mean all these basic jobs, even for McDonald's?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
(Laughs in Gen X)
View Quote

Gen X may be the second greatest generation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The cost of housing, health insurance, and college in terms of hours of median income has all increased drastically over the last 40 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All this.

And add in the "death by 1,000 cuts" of little recurring monthly charges.

Boomers at 34 had a mortgage, utilities, car payment, and a phone bill. Maybe a newspaper or magazine subscription or two. A night out was once a week, lunch was brought to work. Minor home repairs were mostly handled by them.

Millenials have all that and credit cards, internet, cable tv, cell phone, pandora, netflix, disney+, Hulu, satellite radio, XYZ of the month club. Easily a couple hundred dollars a month in recurring debt when you are at a point in your life where you are trying to get your shit together career and family wise. Don't forget the $5/day for coffee,  $15/day for lunch and $30-40 a night dining out or Uber eats. Also, almost every Millenial I know has a new car every 5 years, latest tv, phone, gaming system and computer and they pay people off Craigslist to do the most minor of home repair tasks.

Not to say they aren't at a disadvantage in a world of everybody goes to college, outsourcing, woke culture and mass immigration but they don't help their situation much either.

The cost of housing, health insurance, and college in terms of hours of median income has all increased drastically over the last 40 years.

Coal is still cheap for energy generation. Lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What jobs?

"Software Developers" don't *need* "personal" cell phones (hand held computing devices that happen to make phone calls on a cellular network said developer knows little to nothing about how it works). Companies that employ personnel that are on call, supply company devices or "allow" the employees to bring their own device.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, my personal experience as a boomer says otherwise:

My starting wage as a machinist in 1978 - $2.25 / hr
The current average starting wage for a machinist - $19.89 / hr

That's 8.84x what I had.

My first new car - Intro level 1979 Mustang - $4300  x 8.84 = $37,840  So I was paying the equivalent of $37,840 for an entry level Mustang. (Now  actually $27,155)
My first newbuilt house in 1983 - $74,000  x 8.84 = $651,200  So I was paying the equivalent of $651,200 for a 3/2 on 1/4 acre in Thornton, CO.  :)

By the way that house had a 12.5% mortgage.  That was the best available.  Aren't mortgages about 2% now.

Cry me a river millennials.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Gen X may be the second greatest generation.
View Quote

I was Gen X once. They keep shifting the goal posts on me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What jobs?

No I've actually worked. I don't just sit at a cubicle all day.

I'm not saying a phone hasn't made things more convenient at times but definitely not an actual requirement of employment.

Hell even the place I'm at now they provide a phone they want me to carry. It's a shitty little flip thing but they provide it during my time at work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#33]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There's two types of debt. Someone that needs to go to the bank because they want that sweet RZR side by side and trailer even though they can't actually afford it and will be paying 8% for it over the better part of a decade. And someone that wants to use someone else's cheap money to keep their own. Most people are very familiar with the first kind and to be safe say all debt is bad.
View Quote

I am just really fortunate.  I am so glad my wife and I are are 100% on board with how we manage our money.  We have enough money to buy stupid shit without financing but we won't because its stupid shit.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Boomers are going to pay the most pretty soon. It’s gonna be hard to make that SS check stretch all month, when a cheeseburger costs $17.

$15/hr minimum wage ain’t no joke.

And lol at anyone who thinks SS payments will ever increase.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I guess shipping our manufacturing base overseas and inviting the entire world to participate in our labor market isn’t a recipe for success?
View Quote

This!

Everybody wants a high paying professional job but truth is the backbone of our country 75-100 years ago was it’s manufacturing might. And along with that might was jobs.
If you couldn’t find a good family sustaining job with benefits and a pension there was something wrong with you.

Options today are barely over minimum wage with no benefits or pension.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Then why do American millennials act like they are so much better than everyone else
View Quote

Fifteen years ago, boomers afeard of the draft said millennials were too soft while I fought overseas.
A decade ago, boomers said millennials were lazy spendthrifts while I scrimped through studies in an unheated apartment eating flour and water.
Now I'm about to retire (FIRE) and well off enough to pay exotic medical care out of pocket, and boomers on their second or third mortgage (or marriage) say I'll never succeed.

It gets tiresome listening to oldsters whose idea of hard work ends at a firm handshake and desk sinecure or robot-replaceable time/motion job.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#38]
It's amazing how many whiny little pussies are posting in this thread. Bunch of you keep hitting refresh on your stimulus check tracking numbers I bet. Crazy how things have changed in the last 5-7 years here. Always someone else to blame for your shortcomings.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I understand modern safety standards. I also understand that if you ram your honda civic head on into my 73 mercedes 280 at 15 mph, your gonna be the one having the bad day.

I also know that if my 73 vehicle slides into a curb at low speed, im going to have minor damages and walk away just fine. If you do the same in a Honda, its likely totaled, your gonna have an air bag deploy, and your gonna have a shit day.

Most vehicle accidents are low impact low speed accidents. Im not gonna die or have major injuries likely from a 15 MPH wreck in any vehicle, but in a modern vehicle, the vehicle gets fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

Let me explain this to you in small words.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require cars to have crumple zones and other safety features to increase occupant safety.

The reason cars today collapse into small pieces in wrecks is so that the car absorbs the energy from the impact -- preventing the body from absorbing all that energy.  

Those wrecks in which the front end of the modern car shredded?  Look at how many of those cases in which the occupants of that car suffered minor or no injuries.  "The driver walked away" happens 10000x more than 1960s-80s cars.

Those wrecks in Muh DEEEtroit Steel Didn't Collapse vehicles from the 1950s-1980s?  The bodies of the occupants got all sorts of fucked up because the hard steel body/frame transmitted ALL the impact force to the bodies of the occupants.  

If you in your 1980s car rammed into me in my 2010s car, you'd be far more fucked up than I am.  It's not because modern vehicles are fragile, it's because they are designed for survivability.

I understand modern safety standards. I also understand that if you ram your honda civic head on into my 73 mercedes 280 at 15 mph, your gonna be the one having the bad day.

I also know that if my 73 vehicle slides into a curb at low speed, im going to have minor damages and walk away just fine. If you do the same in a Honda, its likely totaled, your gonna have an air bag deploy, and your gonna have a shit day.

Most vehicle accidents are low impact low speed accidents. Im not gonna die or have major injuries likely from a 15 MPH wreck in any vehicle, but in a modern vehicle, the vehicle gets fucked.

My first car was a 280se of a similar age

Fuck be upon the Boomers who made that POS.

learned a lot about fixing cars from those assholes.

That said, it was stout...and I'd buy it again tomorrow

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Boomers are going to pay the most pretty soon. It’s gonna be hard to make that SS check stretch all month, when a cheeseburger costs $17.

$15/hr minimum wage ain’t no joke.

And lol at anyone who thinks SS payments will ever increase.
View Quote

SS will go up simply because it's a huge voter group and boomers don't tend to go out for burgers anyways. Plus, we can actually cook more then ramen noodles and hot water. [well, some of us can anyways]

However, means testing WILL be coming.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We don't get supplied with company phones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Software Developers" don't *need* "personal" cell phones (hand held computing devices that happen to make phone calls on a cellular network said developer knows little to nothing about how it works). Companies that employ personnel that are on call, supply company devices or "allow" the employees to bring their own device.

Just sayin'

We don't get supplied with company phones.
Yeah and I didn't either when I worked for IBM, Sun Microsystems and HP as a road warrior but I was reimbursed for the cost of the phone and could expense my cell phone bill.  I still didn't need a personal phone since I *only* used the phone for work. I've had a "mobile phone" since the mid 80s when I had the Motorola Mesa 55 "Bag Phone" installed in my personal vehicle which again I used only for work, charging customers for on call support.

We could go at this all night but there really isn't a *need* to have the latest new Android "Phone" or iPhone as a personal device.
A cheap $50 android phone will work just fine to get text messages and even do video calls and if an employer isn't reimbursing their employees for the use of a personal phone "THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW".
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#42]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My first car was a 280se of a similar age

Fuck be upon the Boomers who made that POS.

learned a lot about fixing cars from those assholes.

That said, it was stout...and I'd buy it again tomorrow

View Quote

I love mine, but yes its a PITA to work on, and mechanics that know how to work on them are hard to find.

Im thinking about a motor/trans swap this year. It really only gets driven a few times a year right now, but i love it. My favorite car i have ever owned. I did love my 95 ford 7.3l 250 extended however as a close second.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What jobs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomers be mad a 700 dollar smart phone is required for even a basic job and "sorry no high speed internet" is an auto disqualifier for any job. Fast food included.

Fun thread though.
What jobs?

I haven't had a job in at least a decade that didn’t require me to have high speed internet and a personal cell phone. Hell, even back when I was in the Military you weren’t required but it was so highly encouraged that it was basically required if you wanted liberty, leave, and to leave base. I just recently got laid off from a job where they actually gave me one, but you still had to have your own as a secondary form of communication + high speed internet at home for days when you worked from home.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How about the $4.50 per day for coffee.

Boomers used to bring a thermos from home.
View Quote
Gen X, and I bring my coffee. I don't use a Thermos, though. That's dumb. I bought 30 oz Yeti thing years ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Everyone that worked or works on websphere should be executed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah and I didn't either when I worked for IBM, Sun Microsystems and HP as a road warrior but I was reimbursed for the cost of the phone and could expense my cell phone bill.  I still didn't need a personal phone since I *only* used the phone for work. I've had a "mobile phone" since the mid 80s when I had the Motorola Mesa 55 "Bag Phone" installed in my personal vehicle which again I used only for work, charging customers for on call support.

We could go at this all night but there really isn't a *need* to have the latest new Android "Phone" or iPhone as a personal device.
A cheap $50 android phone will work just fine to get text messages and even do video calls and if an employer isn't reimbursing their employees for the use of a personal phone "THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW".

Everyone that worked or works on websphere should be executed.
We can agree on that one.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#47]
That’s not how inflation works. At all. Your 1979 Mustang would cost 15,427 in today’s money. As you’ve managed to figure out it now costs 27,155. Your 1983 3/2 house would cost 193,524 in 2021 dollars. Nowadays how much do you think a house like that costs? 350k?

You spent your entire life living on easy mode. Boomers are as soft as it gets.

Quoted:
Well, my personal experience as a boomer says otherwise:

My starting wage as a machinist in 1978 - $2.25 / hr
The current average starting wage for a machinist - $19.89 / hr

That's 8.84x what I had.

My first new car - Intro level 1979 Mustang - $4300  x 8.84 = $37,840  So I was paying the equivalent of $37,840 for an entry level Mustang. (Now  actually $27,155)
My first newbuilt house in 1983 - $74,000  x 8.84 = $651,200  So I was paying the equivalent of $651,200 for a 3/2 on 1/4 acre in Thornton, CO.  :)

By the way that house had a 12.5% mortgage.  That was the best available.  Aren't mortgages about 2% now.

Cry me a river millennials.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I love mine, but yes its a PITA to work on, and mechanics that know how to work on them are hard to find.

Im thinking about a motor/trans swap this year. It really only gets driven a few times a year right now, but i love it. My favorite car i have ever owned. I did love my 95 ford 7.3l 250 extended however as a close second.
View Quote

Just to piss of everyone talking about the car, LS SWAP!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Double
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My youngest brother-in-law is 18.  He's got no marketable skills.  Can't do anything but stay up until 5 AM playing PS4 and sleeping until 1 or 2 in the afternoon.  His mom is coddling him and allowing him to continue this lifestyle. He has no job. No friends that he meets face-to-face.  No ambition.  He hasn't bathed in a week.  

The future is fucked.
View Quote
Not entirely. It just makes it easier to rise when your competition is absolute dogshit.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top