BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you'd rather have a vehicle that's less safe because you're main concern is vehicle damage? Personally I'd take a vehicle more likely to protect me at higher speeds...
View Quote

Considering i have only ever been in minor fender benders in my life? Sure. I would like my vehicle to still get me to work in the event i hit black ice and have a minor run in with a curb or another vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Kids still could today. If some high school kid wanted to mow my lawn I'd pay him to do it.

Mowing lawns doesn't even enter a lot of kid's minds these days though, imo.

My little brother got downright industrious in high school. He bought a pro-level pressure washer and cleaned up the neighborhood's driveways all summer. He made way better money doing that than I ever did at my various summer jobs.
View Quote

Kids still work jobs. The idea that they dont is laughable.

I picked strawberries for two years starting at the age of 15. Then i went into pulling old carpet out of commercial buildings.

My 13 y/o is begging me to be able to work for a wage. She will probably start in the shop this year.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We arnt discussing good enough. Your question illustrates the point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a structural engineer But what's actually needed to support the structure? If the thinner wood is still more than adequate what's the issue?

We arnt discussing good enough. Your question illustrates the point.
It's still a good question. If more modern building techniques and supplies reduces the need for heavier supports how is that a bad thing?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never been religious and I don't understand it.

Family I agree with though. That's very important and my family as a whole is very good. My parents have worked very hard to raise us well as have my aunts/uncles for my cousins. There are 9 of us and we are all very successful with good families of our own.
View Quote

I'm not religious either. But going to church every week with people your family might have known for generations gave you a support structure that there's just no counterpart to in today's secular society. You're never going to get that sort of support structure living online for instance.

It's no wonder that people feel so alone and isolated. Compared to prior generations .... they are.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I picked strawberries for two years starting at the age of 15. Then i went into pulling old carpet out of commercial buildings.

My 13 y/o is begging me to be able to work for a wage. She will probably start in the shop this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kids still could today. If some high school kid wanted to mow my lawn I'd pay him to do it.

Mowing lawns doesn't even enter a lot of kid's minds these days though, imo.

My little brother got downright industrious in high school. He bought a pro-level pressure washer and cleaned up the neighborhood's driveways all summer. He made way better money doing that than I ever did at my various summer jobs.

You are overlooking the fact that if you didn't own a shop, she wouldn't be working simply because a 13 year old can't get hired by a company not family owned and liability lawyers wouldn't allow it anyways.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And here is a really great question for all the Boomers out there; if Millenials and Gen Z have it so "good" - why do they commit themselves to self-checkout at the highest rate in history?

Do you think it might have to do with being perpetually lied to, conned out of a life, and ground into misery? Mostly at the behest of corporatism and boomers who pad their savings account on the backs of their children and grandchildren?

View Quote

When I hear this typical Millennial litany, blaming everything and everybody for their perceived sad state of affairs, I really lose all sympathy.

There have been definite factors within the economy that have not made it as easy for Millennials to enjoy the widespread economic success of many Boomers.  But that’s life.

This sort of Greta Thunberg style rant just comes across as being entitled to certain things.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I hear this typical Millennial litany, blaming everything and everybody for their perceived sad state of affairs, I really lose all sympathy.

There have been definite factors within the economy that have not made it as easy for Millennials to enjoy the widespread economic success of many Boomers.  But that’s life.

This sort of Greta Thunberg style rant just comes across as being entitled to certain things.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Common homes built post WWII are almost universally sheetrock. There was a building boom after WWII and plaster lath walls are expensive and time consuming to put up. Also they tend to crack a hell of a lot more than sheetrock.

Between the 1950s and today? Housing construction isn't *that* different. Timber framed. Sheetrock. Slab foundations were virtually invented right after WWII to keep up with the new housing demand.

One thing that has changed is that people generally took a bit more pride in their homes and took better care of them.  I see neighborhoods where the homes are expensive enough where you'd think people would take care of them. But, you come back in 5 - 10 years and trim needs painting. The yard is kept with minimal effort. Repairs aren't being made. I don't know how to explain it but the very low income neighborhood I grew up in was maintained much better than far more upscale neighborhoods I see today.

I suppose people have other things available today to spend their time on than keeping up their home and yard.

You're really setting yourself up for a miserable existence if you image that everything was better in some prior golden age. Some things *were* better, but generally they were *not* material things. The things that have gotten worse in fact are are not our cars or our homes or other material possessions. It was the culture and the society that was far better back then. Intangibles.  The tangible things are almost all improved today.

Unfortunately it's the intangibles that tend to be more important. It's a telling symptoms of our current culture that you focus so intently on the material differences.

View Quote

We will have to disagree on homes. I could show you endless amounts of evidence, and we would still disagree. Thats fine. We just disagree.

For the most part i agree with most of your post. Our society looks at everything as disposable these days, and so less care is given to maintaining things. I have owned exactly three phones in my lifetime. Im 38. So not everyone wants a disposable world.

I drive an electric motor bike as my daily driver. Im not afraid of the future, and i certainly enjoy modern amenities and conveniences. But as you said, some things WERE better.

Some things are like comparing CD's to Vinyl. Sure the CD is more convenient. Its smaller, i can store more of them in the same amount of space, and i can listen to the whole album without having to flip it. I can skip through tracks with a button etc. But play both in a high end sound system, and the quality of vinyl starts to shine.

I do agree im guilty of having a lens with which to view things, but so is everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You didn't have to go into debt to get a college degree in the old days, and you could support a family on a single income with a job out of high school. I understand why Millennials are so bitter.
View Quote

You don't need to go into debt to get a degree.

My first degree was 50k

My second degree was 96k

I paid a grand total of $150 out of pocket (had to pay for my second Diploma fee).

I worked for 3 separate employers that offered tuition assistance as part of the compensation package (to all employees). So I took advantage of it and got 2 free degrees. Literally anyone in America can do the same. Most of the jobs I worked had $10/hr no skill req'd box movers that had the same free tuition, but never used it.

Yes it sucked working full time and doing school full time, but it was "free". The issue is kids today don't want to work while in school, they think full time student is all they can be. A smart kid is gonna find the easiest job to get at a company that has tuition assistance and use it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

BTW - Millennials and Gen-Z have a lot to be legitimately upset about.

They didn't get the federal government $28T in debt.

They didn't ship most of our manufacturing jobs overseas.

They didn't hand Hollywood, the news media, and the education system over to the leftists that shaped their worldview.

There's a lot of blame to go around here. And they by no means share the bulk of it. Now, they do certainly have their own issues on the other hand. Issues that prior generations generally did not have.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Old timers had better wood. Is that really a discussion? My great uncle had 15 inch wide pine planks for his closet shelves. I couldn't get 15 inch wide pine no matter what I wanted to pay.

Engineered wood, yeah, no comparison, but actual wood, the old timers had the golden age
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why would anyone pay cash for a house when interest rates are at all time lows?

View Quote
Because debt sucks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are overlooking the fact that if you didn't own a shop, she wouldn't be working simply because a 13 year old can't get hired by a company not family owned and liability lawyers wouldn't allow it anyways.
View Quote

Right, But is that the childs fault?

Boomers will lead you to believe that children today are inherently lazy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Want to see something funny...many of the young guys on here that say they can't afford a house post about a lot of nice gear they have. Expensive guns, nods, packs etc. I have been noticing a couple in particular and it always gives me a laugh. One has posted in the very thread
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wages have not risen with inflation.

The dollar buys way less than it did decades ago.

My father bought a new 68 Corvette L88 in 1968 for 5800.00

That equivalent corvette would be almost 100k.  That dollar has not risen that much in value.
View Quote
IMO they can't. A $20 plus min wage would not be sustainable.

Things being cheap in a boomers time was luck and likely things were too cheap with the exception of the insane interest rate they had.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I understand modern safety standards. I also understand that if you ram your honda civic head on into my 73 mercedes 280 at 15 mph, your gonna be the one having the bad day.

I also know that if my 73 vehicle slides into a curb at low speed, im going to have minor damages and walk away just fine. If you do the same in a Honda, its likely totaled, your gonna have an air bag deploy, and your gonna have a shit day.

Most vehicle accidents are low impact low speed accidents. Im not gonna die or have major injuries likely from a 15 MPH wreck in any vehicle, but in a modern vehicle, the vehicle gets fucked.
View Quote

Jesus Christ. You have got to be trolling because nobody can be this dense for real. Welcome to my ignore list.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Because debt sucks.
View Quote

2% mortgage and dump the money into something that gets 10% plus. Or don't, because reasons?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Gen X FTW.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Old timers had better wood. Is that really a discussion? My great uncle had 15 inch wide pine planks for his closet shelves. I couldn't get 15 inch wide pine no matter what I wanted to pay.

Engineered wood, yeah, no comparison, but actual wood, the old timers had the golden age
View Quote

But according to boomers, everything we have is made better. Be satisfied with your Chinese timber.

Hell, back in their day everyone mowed their own lawns, and at the same time made a living mowing others lawns. No one was lazy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My grandfather got home from a hitch in the Corps in Korea in 1953. Got a job at IBM. He would have been 24 at the time. He fixed mainframes until he got 80 and outted at 58. Pension, health insurance, all that stuff. He lived to be about 85. His brother got on at IBM doing the same thing and he got retired in his very late 40s.

In literally a million years, that would never happen to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

Ultimately I used my experience to start my own company.

Unfortunately the company i worked for was pretty much the last of a now dead industry.

My grandfather got home from a hitch in the Corps in Korea in 1953. Got a job at IBM. He would have been 24 at the time. He fixed mainframes until he got 80 and outted at 58. Pension, health insurance, all that stuff. He lived to be about 85. His brother got on at IBM doing the same thing and he got retired in his very late 40s.

In literally a million years, that would never happen to me.
You can also retire young, it involves having a plan. I and many others will/have retire in their 40's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

2% mortgage and dump the money into something that gets 10% plus. Or don't, because reasons?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because debt sucks.

This is what I'm doing.... I don't mind having a mortgage
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because debt sucks.
View Quote

Is it really debt if you have the cash to pay off the loan at any time without making a lifestyle change?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Look, I can forgive boomers for wrecking the economy but...

I will never forgive them for hogging the left lane; not driving with flow of traffic; make no attempt to accelerate to merging speed in the acceleration lane; won't zipper merge; being stubborn and impede traffic by not yielding to faster vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ. You have got to be trolling because nobody can be this dense for real. Welcome to my ignore list.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#25]
In before boomers make a witty comment. Or am I to late?

Say whatever you want about it, but its a glaring problem regardless of the cause.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#26]
No worries, the govt will give them what they need.

Here. I know a family of 7 who have been living in a rental house for past 20yrs. Mom Dad 4kids and mom-inlaw. Mom Dad now at 40yrs old, working, two kids working, and they now just looking to buy a home, but still can't because they wasted all their $$ on trips and gadgets and stupid crap. Now they want to rape their 401k (most of it) for a down on a 30yr! All I can say is, perhaps a lesson learned after 40yrs. They obviously drank the purple coolaid. Suckers.

But hey, being People of the Govt is ez to do, just gotta wear the sheeple badge.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is it really debt if you have the cash to pay off the loan at any time without making a lifestyle change?  
View Quote

Is it really your house if the bank owns the title?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Right, But is that the childs fault?

Boomers will lead you to believe that children today are inherently lazy.
View Quote

No it's not the fault of the child. Truth is, lots of people would be scared shitless of being sued by some lawyer if the kid wanting to mow their lawn cut his foot off today. Such is society today.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#29]
The boomers enjoyed a post-ww2 economic fairy tale. They are convinced it's a product of their hard work and success, but it was really their parents who beat the entire rest of the world down to get them there.

They in turn, sold it all out in the name of cheap shit and saddled their children with multiple generations of debt.

This is the real inconvenient truth.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I asked my Dad what he was making in the late 70's/early 80's in a lower level management position. Adjusted for inflation it was around $45/hr today. I also asked him what he pays those to do the same job today. About $25/hr.
View Quote

My dad thinks I make great money for my age.

When he was my age he made about the same. In 1984. My parents’ house at the time cost them $54,000.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Its not selection bias. I have totally renovated and flipped multiple houses. Its kinda my thing. Go look up google pics of timber comparisons just to start.

Modern middle class houses have no comparison to the craftsmanship and quality of Middle class craftsman houses of modest size built in the 40's and especially the 50's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The houses from 1900 you see standing today are for the most part upper income houses. The houses of doctors and lawyers and well to do merchants.

The houses of the common worker from 1900 were for the most part virtually shacks. Most of those are long gone.

What you're seeing is the effect of selection bias. You look at fine homes from the turn of the previous century and you imagine that these homes are representative of what most people had back in that era, when in fact you're for the most part looking at the upper end of houses for the upper middle class and above.

Its not selection bias. I have totally renovated and flipped multiple houses. Its kinda my thing. Go look up google pics of timber comparisons just to start.

Modern middle class houses have no comparison to the craftsmanship and quality of Middle class craftsman houses of modest size built in the 40's and especially the 50's.

You're right. They don't compare. New homes are much, much better constructed on average. Those old houses from the 40s and 50s have been completely repiped because they had lead or iron pipes that rusted out, rewired because the cloth wiring started falling apart, reroofed because the old one rotted or blew off way back, had all new windows put in because the old ones let the cold straight through. New heating and ac systems. New insulation because they literally didn't have any. Ceramic septic replaced after it cracked and caved in.

But you're right, they were made of big slabs of oak. Without hurricane clips or good corners and shitty roof systems and allowed enough rodents in to feed the whole family.

And they were half as big.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it really your land if you don't pay property taxes?

What's your point?

I'm using the bank's money to keep my own money.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There have been definite factors within the economy that have not made it as easy for Millennials to enjoy the widespread economic success of many Boomers. But that's life.

View Quote
Thats a very simpleton way of viewing it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can also retire young, it involves having a plan. I and many others will/have retire in their 40's.
View Quote

You're a cop or in the service? Are you going to retire from a private company with a pension for life with health insurance before you're 50?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo.
In scary times it's best to not own anything, so when the govt comes to take it, they are taking the bank's assets, etc. Applies to anything you can finance or lease/rent. It's a good position to be in these days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Skip the property taxes for a year and see who really owns the house
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#37]
And 4 times as ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What's your point?

View Quote

We are using the banks money to make money.  I guess I am just a sucker.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Want to see something funny...many of the young guys on here that say they can't afford a house post about a lot of nice gear they have. Expensive guns, nods, packs etc. I have been noticing a couple in particular and it always gives me a laugh. One has posted in the very thread
View Quote

I bought a tiny little place so I could buy cool shit with the rest of my money.  This is the way.

I do wish I had land and could shoot on my own property.   I could never afford that though.  There's no way I'm paying $1000+/mo on a mortgage.   Fuck that.  I'll live out my days in my tiny condo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand modern safety standards. I also understand that if you ram your honda civic head on into my 73 mercedes 280 at 15 mph, your gonna be the one having the bad day.

I also know that if my 73 vehicle slides into a curb at low speed, im going to have minor damages and walk away just fine. If you do the same in a Honda, its likely totaled, your gonna have an air bag deploy, and your gonna have a shit day.

Most vehicle accidents are low impact low speed accidents. Im not gonna die or have major injuries likely from a 15 MPH wreck in any vehicle, but in a modern vehicle, the vehicle gets fucked.

They've literally published the tests to try to convince people...

1959 Chevrolet Bel Air vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu IIHS crash test

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck
View Quote

But muh real steel
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still can't figure the guy out. Very few posts from a 2006 account but I have been noticing him post A LOT in the last few days. Sleeper account or just got out of the slammer
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I bought a tiny little place so I could buy cool shit with the rest of my money.  This is the way.

I do wish I had land and could shoot on my own property.   I could never afford that though.  There's no way I'm paying $1000+/mo on a mortgage.   Fuck that.  I'll live out my days in my tiny condo.
View Quote

Edit:  Maybe if I ever get I to the $100k range, I'll reconsider.  Until then, fuck it.  I'll drive to the range.

Edit: Whoops,  I quoted myself

I feel like a fucking boomer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because debt sucks.

I think you are the dude that was just bragging about getting welfare and food stamp cards and now talking about investing

ETA yep that was you. WOW

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-600-/5-2415742/?page=1#i90535488
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You are the dude that was just bragging about getting welfare and food stamp cards and now talking about investing
View Quote

Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The boomers enjoyed a post-ww2 economic fairy tale. They are convinced it's a product of their hard work and success, but it was really their parents who beat the entire rest of the world down to get them there.

They in turn, sold it all out in the name of cheap shit and saddled their children with multiple generations of debt.

This is the real inconvenient truth.
View Quote

You on the other hand enjoy a technological fairy tale.  Some of the technology you have access to would look almost magical to someone from the mid 1960s. Technology that you by in large did not create.  Every generation has it's undeserved burdens and rewards.

The prior generations have a lot to answer for. The recent generations however are not blameless. It may be very comforting to believe that all your problems are the fault of someone else. Unfortunately it's just not true nor is it very productive.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Am I wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are the dude that was just bragging about getting welfare and food stamp cards and now talking about investing

Am I wrong?
Yeah lots about you is wrong. Click.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck
View Quote

Get outta here with your fancy facts and evidence.  DCLXVI has his feelings.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Boomers be mad a 700 dollar smart phone is required for even a basic job and "sorry no high speed internet" is an auto disqualifier for any job. Fast food included.

Fun thread though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your point?

There's two types of debt. Someone that needs to go to the bank because they want that sweet RZR side by side and trailer even though they can't actually afford it and will be paying 8% for it over the better part of a decade. And someone that wants to use someone else's cheap money to keep their own. Most people are very familiar with the first kind and to be safe say all debt is bad.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top