I prefer doner over all others.

Also, we need this in the US. https://shawarmer.com/
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would appreciate the same. I try to avoid that county, but "best gyro I ever had" is a pretty strong endorsement.

Fair warning: I will hold you accountable and mock you and your Danish taste buds mercilessly if it sucks.

View Quote
I can has referral as well my friends?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Never had any of them in Florida , but the Donair shop that was my go-to in Alberta is Lebanese owned and has been there for over 30 years.
Asked the owner what the difference was between the 3 names and he said the Turks use goat poop in their rendition and the others sweep up the remains off the floor and stomp on it before they put it in theirs.

He was quite passionate about it.
He was even more pissed that the students at the school across the street destroy his creations with sriachi sauce , he calls it Chinese ketchup.
(most of those students are Asian)

LOL
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never had any of them in Florida , but the Donair shop that was my go-to in Alberta is Lebanese owned and has been there for over 30 years.
Asked the owner what the difference was between the 3 names and he said the Turks use goat poop in their rendition and the others sweep up the remains off the floor and stomp on it before they put it in theirs.

He was quite passionate about it.
He was even more pissed that the students at the school across the street destroy his creations with sriachi sauce , he calls it Chinese ketchup.
(most of those students are Asian)

LOL
View Quote

I put srirachi on my gyro this evening.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the middle east if you get a Shwarma it has french fries in it.
View Quote

Shit you're lucky if it doesn't come with béchamel sauce too.

What the fuck is it with béchamel sauce there??
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interestingly, a large number of American places selling something by any of those names order their meat from Kronos.

If you can find a place that stacks their meat themselves, you found a keeper.
View Quote

Had one. Best I ever had. Made those bad ass "potato" pancakes, too.

He died.

RIP Decent Delli.

He and another old Greek guy i get food from said the difference was the sauce. Both served a gyro with a strong garlic sauce and called them shawarma.

Now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Back my Navy days in the 90's, I stuffed myself on the cheap chicken shawarmas at the Seafarers Center in Dubai.  This guy had a cart and I think they were around 50 cents. They are all delicious to me.
View Quote

After we got done liberating  Kuwait,  some American colony in Al Jubail with a pool invited us down to hang out. Went once a week and the shwarmra truck was awesome.

Nice to get away from tent living.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Gyro is best.

And yes there is a huge difference.  Mainly in the sauces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
swarma is the best

Gyro is best.

Sounds like I was told correctly.

Decent Delli made baklava too. Soooooo good. More than one business lunch ended with me going home instead of back to the shop because I was so stuffed. I'm not even sorry, cause now its gone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
There can be only one, DONER!

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does Morocco have anything like it?

This is like barbecue, some guy will insist that a certain regional style is defined by "x," but you go to that area and you can find "y." But, then that same guy will tell you it's only because the guy making "y" was unduly influenced by another region.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d4d8ff888610ff8768a95569284ccb98/tenor.gif?itemid=14029153
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
swarma is the best

Gyro is best.

This is like barbecue, some guy will insist that a certain regional style is defined by "x," but you go to that area and you can find "y." But, then that same guy will tell you it's only because the guy making "y" was unduly influenced by another region.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d4d8ff888610ff8768a95569284ccb98/tenor.gif?itemid=14029153

Remember the poster who was posting pics of gyros and catching a rational of shit because they weren't authentic???

Then he showed pics of him sitting in Athens or some city IN Greece?

Too funny.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
When I'm in downtown Steubenville I'll swing by Yorgo's Gyros, but I think they're kind of pricy. Although I got dinner and a show one night when he told a couple...let's say ethnic...women who were angling for free sides by fast talking him to get out and don't come back for a year. It was like watching the Soup Nazi at work.

Of course, 2 for 6 bucks at Arby's is always an option or the box kit at Aldi when the Greek festival isn't up and running.

I'm sure there's some place in Pittsburgh, but normally I'm there for a ball game or to visit docs at UPMC, in which case I get my Popeye's on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Joint down the street from me stacks the meat, is also a market for mediterranean foods. I order take out a few times a week from them, it's simply delicious.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I'm in downtown Steubenville I'll swing by Yorgo's Gyros, but I think they're kind of pricy. Although I got dinner and a show one night when he told a couple...let's say ethnic...women who were angling for free sides by fast talking him to get out and don't come back for a year. It was like watching the Soup Nazi at work.

Of course, 2 for 6 bucks at Arby's is always an option or the box kit at Aldi when the Greek festival isn't up and running.

I'm sure there's some place in Pittsburgh, but normally I'm there for a ball game or to visit docs at UPMC, in which case I get my Popeye's on.
View Quote

The Arby's "gyros" really aren't bad for what they are and the price.

Don't compare them to a real Greek place. Leave off the lettuce. Ask for extra tzazikki and you're good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Remember the poster who was posting pics of gyros and catching a rational of shit because they weren't authentic???

Too funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
swarma is the best

Gyro is best.

Too funny.

I don't, but I can definitely picture it. Some of the crazy taco concoctions I've had in Mexico have had me wondering if a photo would get such reactions. "That's not the way they do it!"

I like food where it's "from" because people there then seem less compelled to dictate "authenticity."

I still want to find a pizza place in Italy that has pineapple and American pepperoni slices. It would break the internet.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I loved shawarmas when in Bahrain, only had it once in the states because their is only one place around me that has them and I was not impressed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Basic structure of them are the same.  Big thing of meat on a stand getting grilled, then you slice off and put it on a bread product.

Cultures make it their own.   Doner is almost always lamb, and has a certain spice profile.  Of course there's no Doner Police who come stomp on someone if it falls outside some official mandate.

Gyro is as likely to be chicken or beef, and uses tzatziki sauce.

Mexicans were influenced by Doners that's where Al Pastor came from.  The spice is a blend of mexican and middle eastern.   However most non-Mexicans are more familiar with Al pastor thanks to taco places having it as an ingredient option.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Basic structure of them are the same.  Big thing of meat on a stand getting grilled, then you slice off and put it on a bread product.

Cultures make it their own.   Doner is almost always lamb, and has a certain spice profile.  Of course there's no Doner Police who come stomp on someone if it falls outside some official mandate.

Mexicans were influenced by Doners that's where Al Pastor came from.  The spice is a blend of mexican and middle eastern.   However most non-Mexicans are more familiar with Al pastor thanks to taco places having it as an ingredient option.
View Quote

I believe al pastor started with immigrants from Lebanon adapting shwarmas to locally available ingredients and, well, tortillas.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Tacos.

They are all tacos.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You fkrs are making me hungry. Im going to have to go destroy the kitchen now lol.

All good, and check out Kofta kebabs. Easy fun one on the grill. Ive even sub'd it for gyro meat and Salisbury steak and was pretty decent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Epic Food Adventure: Gyros on a Rope - The Ultimate Culinary Experience!

This is an utter and complete waste of your next 15 minutes.

But, when I've had a long day or just need to decompress for a bit, I love this dude's videos. No talking. Slow moving. Great photography. What appears to be awesome food. Sharp ass, weird knife. No stupid music.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Missing the chilli sauce... obviously cant be better in GD terms.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I loved shawarmas when in Bahrain, only had it once in the states because their is only one place around me that has them and I was not impressed.
View Quote

Bahrain has impressive shwarma. Kuwait is okay, you need to find the good shops. What I like is you drive up honk the horn, guy runs up take order and like 1 minute later is handing you your order. I haven't tried the Doner. It is cheap though you can get a 2 Sharma for like 500 fils which is about 1.75. Spicy chicken, with cabbage, pickled turnip, garlic sauce, French fries, splash of hot sauce mmmmm good
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Living where I am at is great for food.

Gyros?  Best gyros are not far away at Golden Fleece.
Shawarma?  Tons of options.
Donner?  Options for that too.

Middle eastern food can be good. So can Greek.

I don’t know of any that serve Turkish around here though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183008/52E5D357-C5F4-42FC-B610-2C92AD1DF8E9_jpe-1782249.JPG
View Quote

I second Golden Fleece as the best place for gyro and kebabs. Moved away about 15 years ago and have not found a place like it.
Looks like they took the fake grape vines off the ceiling...
Opa..
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Living where I am at is great for food.

Gyros?  Best gyros are not far away at Golden Fleece.
Shawarma?  Tons of options.
Donner?  Options for that too.

Middle eastern food can be good. So can Greek.

I don’t know of any that serve Turkish around here though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183008/52E5D357-C5F4-42FC-B610-2C92AD1DF8E9_jpe-1782249.JPG
View Quote

I second Golden Fleece as the best place for gyro and kebabs. Moved away about 15 years ago and have not found a place like it.
Looks like they took the fake grape vines off the ceiling...
Opa..
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#28]
had some really good gyros in Corfu, Greece in the early '90's. I wish I could find similar here. Arby's are pretty good if load it up with horsey sauce.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMPLf9kgR4

But, when I've had a long day or just need to decompress for a bit, I love this dude's videos. No talking. Slow moving. Great photography. What appears to be awesome food. Sharp ass, weird knife. No stupid music.
View Quote

Oh my God. That IS the greatest video of all time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Doner Kebab, or as I like to call it the Middle Eastern Burrito rules them all. Unfortunately I have not been able to find an authentic one here in the US.

My favorite place has unfortunately been closed since 2007. Uncle Tony's Kebabs

If you're ever in Sydney this is the greatest Lebanese restaurant outside of Lebanon. Been around for over 50 years and my father has been going there since before I was born. I'll make a detour to Sydney when I go back to the homeland just to eat there.
Abdul's
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread makes me like arfcom again.  Doner for me.  Or one of each.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For one.  

Cucumber yogurt sauce for Gyro

A garlic egg white sauce for Swarma
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I too, am curious about the minutiae.

For one.  

Cucumber yogurt sauce for Gyro

A garlic egg white sauce for Swarma

It sounds like I would like both and choose either depending on the day’s mood.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd never heard of 'Shwarma' until the end of the 1st Avengers movie, and still have not had it, as far as I know.

The only Greek food I ever remember really liking, was a family deli on Fondren in Houston, called Andros.
They had this one sandwich, I can not remember what he called it, that my wife and I ordered every time,,, it was really really good.

RIP Christe

Jay
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#34]

These with chili sauce by the Egyptian at Kuwaiti Naval Base. Holy fuck so fucking good; make you wanna slap yo mamma.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Doner Kebab, or as I like to call it the Middle Eastern Burrito rules them all. Unfortunately I have not been able to find an authentic one here in the US.
View Quote

Wouldn't that be dürüm?

(Which, yes, is a variation on döner, but döner is the sandwich style and dürüm is the wrap/burrito style.)
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
People like to say shawarma.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#37]
We don't really have gyros or shwarma here, it's all kebab and it's all made by Lebanese immigrants who also make pizza.

Kebabpizza is the best hangover food there is.

Fact.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yup. But don't expect anyone too close to the subject to readily admit that.

Best Key and Peel skit ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52YOsjGINSc

Sure, different food item, but same idea. Ask an Arab, a Turk, or a Greek, you'll get different stories, likely claims based in where they're from about what makes one or another different. But actually travel around the region a bit, you'll see it all blends together and is a variant on the same theme.

Lavash is another word that works itself in as you push east. It becomes a word for just the flatter bread associated more with shwarma than doner kebob, but becomes another word for the whole shebang when you cross the Caspian.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar things happen as you move west across northern Africa.
View Quote

100% Greek here, and 100% HILARIOUS video.

Although to be fair, I think Shwarma may have turkey and goat in it as well. I haven't ever had an opportunity to try it, but I sure would like to.

"Ke..."

"Ke..."

"Ba..."

"Ba..."

"Be..."

"Be..."

"Good, I think you get it now."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We don't really have gyros or shwarma here, it's all kebab and it's all made by Lebanese immigrants who also make pizza.

Kebabpizza is the best hangover food there is.

Fact.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/e7/52/be/kebabpizza-pa-kebab-eaters.jpg
View Quote

Fuck.

Would devastate that
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Döner above all. Gyros are good and all but I love chicken döner with some bomb ass garlic sauce.  That lamb stuff is good but after 6 years living in Germany I love döner, so everyone else is wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doner in Europe is mostly chicken except in the UK (lamb there). I’ve had gyros in Greece that were made from pork (Thessaloniki area) where they put fries, mustard, and ketchup no taziki  or feta. (I’ve had Crete gyros were made with lamb and taziki/feta).

I’ve eaten doner/Kabap/gyros in most countries in Europe and German style doners win 10/10.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tacos.

They are all tacos.
View Quote

Wrong, you are wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Based on eating each in their homelands:

1. Shawarma
2. Gyros
3. Döner/dürüm

But not by much since they're so similar. Arabs are a little more likely to use spicy flavors and pickles so in general the shawarma will perform best with a U.S. audience.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Arby's has a pretty solid gyro.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Doner Kebab > Gyro > Shwarma
View Quote

You are correct.
Shwarma is dumpster trash to me after having worked in the ME and tasted ALL.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Gyro me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Doner is awesome. Those of you who say US Gyros are better clearly never had a Doner Kebab in Germany or other outside of US. Some of it is preference, yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wouldn't that be dürüm?

(Which, yes, is a variation on döner, but döner is the sandwich style and dürüm is the wrap/burrito style.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't that be dürüm?

Huh, in Australia a Doner Kebab is like a grilled Burrito pressed between two hotplates. Never heard of a durum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMPLf9kgR4

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

There are a bunch of them. All good. I think he must be a trained chef. But the crude methods, the grimy fingers, combine with the awesome technique and ingredients just suck me in.

I like to cook outdoors but can't hold a candle to what this guy accomplishes. Look up the water wheel rotisserie chicken.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks guys...

Just ate a Kabob/Falafel because i read this thread last night lol.

I think I like Chicken Shwarma better than the kabob

IMO the only good thing about Chicago is that it is a melting pot with a fuck ton of various food choices.

Ironically, Arabic Food is x10 better with Beer. Also a Falafel Kabob with Bacon is fucking delicious.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top