Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Festool Kapex. I have had mine about 6 years. The motor burned up once and I had to send it back to be repaired. Supposedly this motor issue is fixed in the newest version. Other small parts have been broken, but were easily replaced. It is a great saw, but the stand with wings and a vacuum are needed to get all of the benefits. I had a dewalt saw before I got the Kapex. Getting a feel for your saw and knowing how to use it is more important than the saw itself. The results you can get with a quality saw will depend more on your skill than the saw.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DeWalt 12" compound slider.
View Quote

This is what you seek. I've been running mine for over 20 years without a hitch.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Interdasting experience with dewalts. In my industry dewalts are the gold standard. They cut poplar trim moulding all day long with the occasional maple,hickory, oak or beech stair components. The only time they are replaced is when they are stolen about every 1~2 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about durability and longevity.  Dewalts get sloppier and fail sooner than other brands.

And yes....we burned out a couple of Dewalts and then went to a Ridgid.  Hazmat and Tech Rescue.

EDIT>My first Miter saw I bought when I started my construction business was an early Dewalt.  It was good for a few years then it started getting sloppy.  I went through some Deltas.  I bought a new 12" Dewalt a few years ago.  Nice saw but I don't expect it to last.

Interdasting experience with dewalts. In my industry dewalts are the gold standard. They cut poplar trim moulding all day long with the occasional maple,hickory, oak or beech stair components. The only time they are replaced is when they are stolen about every 1~2 years.
Just my experience but I'm sure it has a lot to do with how much moving around the saw gets.  Early in my career besides houses I built, I did lots of kitchens.  It was not unusual to move the saw every day or 2.  That cannot be good for them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree with the dewalt, milwakee, bosch...I will also throw in the makita. Personally I'd go with a sliding compound 10". I lugged around the dewalt 12" for years. Never needed the 12" capability.
+100 on the diablo blade
View Quote

Quoted:
My Mikita 10" has lasted 15 years . Still cuts perfectly, I use it daily. It is compound slide , I maintain it . When I need a new one I will get another Mikita. But I don't think that will be anytime soon.
View Quote
I don't like Makita tools but I agree.  Tough, well made tools that last.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. Drive through any construction site and majority of miter saws you'll see are going to be DeWalt. DeWalt is the standard of which all others look at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DeWalt 12" compound slider.

This. Drive through any construction site and majority of miter saws you'll see are going to be DeWalt. DeWalt is the standard of which all others look at.
Price/availability are a thing.  I can go to 3 places within a couple of miles and all sell Dewalt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the dewalt 779 I think. Added the light as well.

It sits on a Bosch stand that's pretty dang nice as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
How difficult is the light to install? The 779 can be had as cheap as $350.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Somebody's gotta have a link to the light setup at a decent price that isn't $80 shipped...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Bosch 12" with the articulating arms and love it. The GCM12SD. I bought it over the dewalt because the arms dont need nearly the space behind the saw that the linear guides do, makes it much much easier to mount on a bench if you want to use it as a stationary saw.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How difficult is the light to install? The 779 can be had as cheap as $350.
View Quote

Got mine at lowes with the $200 dewalt stand for $400
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
You might try to find a deal on a used DW708 12" sliding saw.

I just replaced the cord on mine after having it almost 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Hitachi 10” sliding compound saw for the win... your welcome.
https://bestmitersawguide.com/hitachi-c10fsb-10-inch-sliding-compound-miter-saw-review/
Used these commercially for years and they stay square and are basically bulletproof
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Got mine at lowes with the $200 dewalt stand for $400
View Quote

Wow, that's a great deal
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Hitachi sliding compound saw, and it's been awesome.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DWS780

/thread.

ETA: if you want to save a few hundred, you can get a DWS779 and add the XPS light.
View Quote
I did this. Super easy to retrofit. I think the kit was $80.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol at leaving a work station up for a week. I fucking wish we could do that. All tools all packed up at end of every day. Fucking hate it.
View Quote

That is going to depend on the jobsite 100% of the time.

I’m only there 8-12 hours a week, so I’m taking my shit home every time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Metalbo at Lowe's
5 year warranty
Easily one of the best and it definitely the best value on sale now
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DWS780

/thread.

ETA: if you want to save a few hundred, you can get a DWS779 and add the XPS light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
DWS780

/thread.

The light is just fluff.

Even without it, the 779 is very easy to use accurately.

Incidentally, DeWalt is currently building their miter saws in Taiwan - which is infinitely preferable to the People's Republic of China.

Quoted:

The Bosch T4B gravity-rise stand is superb.

You may wonder how any miter saw stand could possibly be worth $375 - until you try it.

Takes all of 30 seconds to set up or take down - Makes moving the saw effortless.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Dewalt 780 is the standard
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Festool is technically the teir 1 item, but probably overkill for just about anyone (and I'm typically one to buy way nicer than i will ever need).
View Quote

Actually, its not.  Festool stuff costs a lot and its built just well enough to work.  Due to the high cost of the tools, guys baby them which helps make them seem like they last forever.  If you beat up a festool the same way people beat up on milwaukee and dewalt, they don't hold up well.

Whereas dewalt and melwaukee types of tools are overbuilt.  The people who design them know they will be abused.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Hercules

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I forgot the model number. It was a made in the USA DEWALT 12" double bevel sliding compound maitre saw.
It was the most expensive Dewalt available.
Out of the box it sucked!
After fine tuning it made perfect cuts.
My best friend lia Professional trim carpenter likes Bosh.
Most need fine tuning.
Get a QUALITY BLADE
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have the hitachi 12" sliding double miter saw.  I did a side by side pepsi challenge with the dewalt and the bosch.  Ended up going with the Hitachi.
The bosch has the cool feature where it doesnt slide, but it collapses.  It lets you place it further back, closer to the wall.  Maximize your space in your workshop.
The Hitachi had much better detents and locking into the preset angles.
On the dewalt, when it locked into the 33 and 45 decree slots, it still had some wiggle to it.

I went with the hitachi for how solidly it locked up and how sturdy it was.  If I had less space available, I would have done the collapsing bosch.  The dewalt was good, but not great.  It didn't do anything the other ones didn't do.  They all had plenty of power.
View Quote

This.   I've run the same Hitachi 12 inch sliding double miter for years, the thing is fantastic.   It's one of the few non-DeWalt tools I own.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Ridgid 10in slider (model #4210) with the utility stand.  It came standard with the led light.  One of the few saws (at the time at least) that'll do a 70 degree cut.  I run a diablo blade on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Normally I agree, but not in this case. The Dewalt is a better saw than the Bosch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bosch>Dewalt.

I own a lot of Dewalt tools.  Bosch is mo' betta

Normally I agree, but not in this case. The Dewalt is a better saw than the Bosch.

I agree with this. I'm a Bosch fan. I own 2 Dewalts. A 10 and a 12.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got a Kobalt 12" compound slider sitting on a Delta folding stand. It's been used a bunch, only thing I added was a laser flange for the blade, and bought some sacrificial tapes for where the blade plunges.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Bosch 12"

I frequented a contractors forum for a while. I wanted info on good tools to buy. I figured most of those guys wouldn't buy junk. The Bosch 12" Glide was far and away the top vote-getter. The DeWalt was second, but the Bosch was the very clear winner.

ETA: Just about everyone who voted for the Bosch, said to make sure to get the 12" version and NOT the 10" version. They said the 10" version had issues with the Glide system and that it wasn't as sturdy as the one on the 12".
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#28]
The stand comes with the 780 at lowes right now
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The stand comes with the 780 at lowes right now
View Quote
Do you have a link?

I see where there are sales from time to time and I can wait a little while.  Is there a good site to look for deals on miter saws? Checking lowes, HD, etc. Daily gets tiresome.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top