BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreal-gym-goer-attacked-because-his-weightlifting-was-too-loud

Long article but clip here kinda tells the story.

"The majority of Buzzfit members are first-time gym users, Johnson said. “We are not equipped for the hardcore workout he was doing. He was lifting at an elite level of powerlifting, which requires specialized facilities.”

A deadlift platform, which makes for a quieter landing for weights, is common in serious heavyweight gyms, Rubish said.

Lalonde had been asked to place mats under the weight plates and he had complied, Johnson said. “On this day when he was working out, it wasn’t that much of an issue because he had made the adjustments he had been asked to make.”

The man who assaulted him is not a Buzzfit employee, Johnson said, and he was not well known to staff. “We had to go through video footage” to identify him."
View Quote

So .... he was not even an employee and he assaults a customer and throws him out?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Get out boy needed a good kick in his steroid shriveled nut sack!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
That video's old as hell.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not aware of any jurisdictions in the English speaking world which allow private businesses to permit people to kick their customers without provocation or warning. Could you refer me to an example of such a jurisdiction?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could possibly be written in the rules and regulations of a third party business which justify one party kicking a second party without provocation or warning?

Any rules or regulations the owner wants.

“If you slam bars down other gymbros have a right to ask you to leave. If you do not leave when told to do so, they have a duty to physically remove you”

And did gymbro 1 actually kick gymbro 2, I gotta rewatch it

I'm not aware of any jurisdictions in the English speaking world which allow private businesses to permit people to kick their customers without provocation or warning. Could you refer me to an example of such a jurisdiction?

Dude, you've been here 6 years.

Why are you doing this to yourself?  Let cooler heads prevail.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For those of us who don't go to gyms, what was he kicked out for?
View Quote

I would guess he was somewhat dropping the bar, not much of a drop.
Asshole A just could of told him not to drop the bar, he could have hurt the guy by knocking it out of his hands like that.
He did have pads under it and it was only about a 12" drop.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could possibly be written in the rules and regulations of a third party business which justify one party kicking a second party without provocation or warning?

“If you slam bars down other gymbros have a right to ask you to leave. If you do not leave when told to do so, they have a duty to physically remove you”

6 years? Holy hell, no wonder I'm such a degen.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If someone is walking through a car dealership keying all the cars does someone have to be an employee there to say “hey knock it off”
View Quote

lol

So you would physically assault someone doing property damage to some place that you have no affiliation?  

Enjoy your charges, just like the shithead in the video.

I once got yelled at for grunting while squatting.  I was in LA Fitness and the employees told the fat boy to put head phones in if the noises of physical exertion were too much for him.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

lol

So you would physically assault someone doing property damage to some place that you have no affiliation?  

I once got yelled at for grunting while squatting.  I was in LA Fitness and the employees told the fat boy to put head phones in if the noises of physical exertion were too much for him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone is walking through a car dealership keying all the cars does someone have to be an employee there to say “hey knock it off”

lol

Seriously. What's next, throw the guy out for sweating, because the salt could rust the equipment?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

lol

View Quote

Please show when and where I said I would physically assault someone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They don’t allow clanking weights at Planet Fitness, or it’ll set off the Lunk Alarm.

That’s why so many in this thread are confused about what’s going on with this. They’ve never seen anyone actually lifting heavy stuff before.
View Quote

I can see getting upset if the lifter was screaming...seen it before and it is annoying as fuck...but getting upset at the sound of weights being moved IN A GYM?!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Time to file a police report for battery.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Okay, either you're the other guy in the video, or you need to take a breath and calm down. Not everyone has a degree in weightlifting barology.
View Quote

So then quit acting like you know what's happening and spreading misinformation.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I just want to say I love you rogueboss.  Don't ever change, don't ever change.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Correct him for dropping the weight, don’t step on the bar like a fucking asshole.

Manlet in the blue tank was in the wrong.  Manley doing deadlifts shouldn’t be dropping/bouncing his weights.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Happened in Montreal 2 years ago. According to the article the lifter was a 19 year old kid who was recording his lift to send to a strength coach. He had permission to deadlift as long as he put mats down which he did. The Animal shirt guy was not gym staff but instead was just another member who was annoyed with the noise. Kid ended up pressing charges of assault against Animal and was offered a free membership by the gym. A staff member was suspended because they should have been on top of the problem and it never should have gone that far.
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn’t have hesitated in punching him directly in the face as soon as he touched my bar.  That could really F someone’s back up.  I’m not a badass it would just be a reaction.  You don’t put your hands on people.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I mean... if you can't set it down appropriately, you've got too much weight on the bar.

That's how you get fucked up bars.

Other guy acted like an asshole about it though.
View Quote

Yeah you can mess up the bars. Didn’t seem excessive to warrant that kind of reaction. Could have seriously injured that kid.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Please show when and where I said I would physically assault someone.
View Quote

Oh, fuck off.

I thought you were banned for this type of shit?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can see getting upset if the lifter was screaming...seen it before and it is annoying as fuck...but getting upset at the sound of weights being moved IN A GYM?!
View Quote

His form was fine.  He wasn’t dropping the weight.  You can’t set anything over 225 down quietly and why would you?  Keep it controlled.  He did far better than the average dip shot at the gym.  Bunch of gym cucks in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah you can mess up the bars. Didn’t seem excessive to warrant that kind of reaction. Could have seriously injured that kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mean... if you can't set it down appropriately, you've got too much weight on the bar.

Ask me how I know both of you are girly men?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
lol.  That's not dropping the weight.

We can tell who has never pulled heavy for reps.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I found the non-lifter!

Seriously, the dude did everything right by using bumper plates and ground pads and not dropping the weight.  You can’t slowly lower a heavy DL...that’s how you get hurt BAD!

This is why I have a home gym where I can do whatever the fuck I want without having to deal with the Karen’s.

Also, a quality bar definitely won’t be hurt by that level of “dropping”
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@joshdb50

Your post is absolute horseshit given the video shown, and if you can't see that, then you absolutely don't know what you're talking about.

Then again, I guess that as a certed judge, coach, and competitive lifter in two different organizations - with thousands invested in bars - I am completely off base here and all of the bars that we run which regularly see drops from failed 800+lb deadlifts are all fucked up.

..Except they aren't.

The only time I've seen a lifter fuck up a bar that wasn't some cheap Chinese special was dropping it onto hard safeties doing rack pulls with huge weight, or coming down onto hard safeties from a high-position bailed squat.

View Quote

Resume getting dropped like it’s hot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Okay, either you're the other guy in the video, or you need to take a breath and calm down. Not everyone has a degree in weightlifting barology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@joshdb50

Your post is absolute horseshit given the video shown, and if you can't see that, then you absolutely don't know what you're talking about.

Then again, I guess that as a certed judge, coach, and competitive lifter in two different organizations - with thousands invested in bars - I am completely off base here and all of the bars that we run which regularly see drops from failed 800+lb deadlifts are all fucked up.

..Except they aren't.

The only time I've seen a lifter fuck up a bar that wasn't some cheap Chinese special was dropping it onto hard safeties doing rack pulls with huge weight, or coming down onto hard safeties from a high-position bailed squat.

Lmfao
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I certainly wouldn't pay to watch her workout videos or anything, but I'll admit when I walked into the gym and saw she was working out it instantly improved my mood.

It wasn't just her looks though.  She was actually pretty athletic too.  She would stand on one of theses things and do exercises with dumbbells (and not just light ones).  Most people would have trouble simply standing on one of those.

https://media.self.com/photos/5c003d1e4279122d0f28a83d/3:4/w_2400,h_3199,c_limit/bosu-ball-plank.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was a reason there was a camera set up already recording before that incident........probably lots more to that story.

People record their lifts all the time to check form, sticking points, bar speed, etc.  

I use to go to a gym with a smoking hot woman who recorded all of her workouts, wore tight fitting outfits with her tits popping out, and made noises as if she was having sex.  I talked to her a few times and apparently she posts the workout videos online for her "members."

She just wants to get as many opinions as possible to the correctness of her "form."  

I certainly wouldn't pay to watch her workout videos or anything, but I'll admit when I walked into the gym and saw she was working out it instantly improved my mood.

It wasn't just her looks though.  She was actually pretty athletic too.  She would stand on one of theses things and do exercises with dumbbells (and not just light ones).  Most people would have trouble simply standing on one of those.

https://media.self.com/photos/5c003d1e4279122d0f28a83d/3:4/w_2400,h_3199,c_limit/bosu-ball-plank.jpg

She stood on a pale Asian woman?  That’s racist
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I found the non-lifter!

Seriously, the dude did everything right by using bumper plates and ground pads and not dropping the weight.  You can’t slowly lower a heavy DL...that’s how you get hurt BAD!

This is why I have a home gym where I can do whatever the fuck I want without having to deal with the Karen’s.

Also, a quality bar definitely won’t be hurt by that level of “dropping”
View Quote

I mean, I've stayed at a holiday inn. I've seen bars get fucked up from people dropping them like assholes. Sometimes that results in people who own the fucking places to say something about dropping them and some of those responses will be way overboard. Does that mean I condone it, nah, but it's their shit so you can either do as they ask or go somewhere else.

I'm not sure why some of you guys get so bent out of shape over this shit. Nobody is attacking your proclivity for dropping shit. Not every bar is all super high quality shit that world class gyms and olympians use. You guys need to relax. lol. No reason to be all cunty.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There was a reason there was a camera set up already recording before that incident........probably lots more to that story.

View Quote

Very common thing to do for checking proper form.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This x870000000%

Guy handled it far better than I likely would have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lot of derp in this thread.

No wonder GD has so many fat bodies.

[insert copy pasta about driving a truck and a knee condition]
View Quote

I don’t like fat people either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dick measuring contest y’all have going on is ruining the comedic value of this thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Far from it, but I do appreciate a good assumption. Girly men?  Your insecurities are showing.

You can most assuredly mess up cheap Chinese bars. They’re not all created equally. I’ve been in plenty of gyms that had bars for light work and bars for powerlifting/Olympic lifting. The average layman couldn’t tell them apart.

Of course, I already mentioned that what the lifter was doing wasn’t excessive. But you got me ??
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy fuck I'm glad I'm deaf.  When I go to the gym I just look at them if they got a problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Only one asshole in that video. Lifter was doing everything correctly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You guys ever do a clean and jerk?

Or watch the olympics?
View Quote

That looks like a clean and jerk to you? To me it looks like halfway between that and a Romanian DL.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Correct him for dropping the weight, don’t step on the bar like a fucking asshole.

Manlet in the blue tank was in the wrong.  Manley doing deadlifts shouldn’t be dropping/bouncing his weights.
View Quote

The guy doing deadlifts did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Has this guy every seen pro lifters before?
Those at the Olympics or competition?
They drop weights from a lot higher up than that dude did.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#39]
What about this male Karen.

https://youtu.be/cNxDDf7wX48
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Seriously. What's next, throw the guy out for sweating, because the salt could rust the equipment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

GET OUT! - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don’t allow clanking weights at Planet Fitness, or it’ll set off the Lunk Alarm.

That’s why so many in this thread are confused about what’s going on with this. They’ve never seen anyone actually lifting heavy stuff before.

This is like guys that complain about guns being loud at the range.

It’s the fucking range and guns are loud. Deal with it lol.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.  Why try and lift more weight than you can control?   Even Arnold points out that correct form and less weight, is a lot better than more weight and incorrect form.

But, I guess when you drop it and step back, you can pretend you just won the gold at the Olympics.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Never seen a bent bar from dropping weights while doing deadlifts?

The shit happens.

All that being said, I see the guy wasn't an employee or the owner of the joint and it's a hollywood fitness type place... so... oh well. deadlifter needs to find a less shitty gym.

View Quote

Never seen a bent bar.  Seen cracked plates.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#44]
When did planet shitness get Olympic bars??
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The same reason why the gyms are surrounded with mirrors.

Lifters like looking at themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same reason why the gyms are surrounded with mirrors.

Lifters like looking at themselves.

No.  Bad technique can injure you - quite badly.  Better to stop a bad habit early.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I agree.  Why try and lift more weight than you can control?   Even Arnold points out that correct form and less weight, is a lot better than more weight and incorrect form.

But, I guess when you drop it and step back, you can pretend you just won the gold at the Olympics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bodybuilding is not powerlifting. Politics aside I admire Arnold and bodybuilding is what got me into lifting weights. Of course there is crossover but they are very different training styles. Pound for pound powerlifters are stronger than bodybuilders.

Also the kid's form isn't bad.

Also if you only ever use weight that you can completely control all the way down on deadlift, you will never have a big deadlift. And you will probably eventually hurt yourself trying.

The deadlift is not the squat. It is not the bench press. It is not the curl. The deadlift is about the pull, and that's it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not sure about that.  I mean there are pads on the ground and those plates look like rubber coated so I don't see what the big deal is.  A lot of people don't set them down - totally normal.
View Quote
Do they set them down gently in the Olympics when Helga cleans and jerks 2000 lbs.?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That looks like a clean and jerk to you? To me it looks like halfway between that and a Romanian DL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys ever do a clean and jerk?

Or watch the olympics?

It looked to me like he was on the borderline of what he could safely lift without fucking up his form. Probably Day One of an added amount of weight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What about this male Karen.

https://youtu.be/cNxDDf7wX48
View Quote

MAN GETS BULLIED FOR USING GYM CHALK AT Fitness Connection in Raleigh, NC | NOT ALLOWED TO DEADLIFT!

Ok, here we go:

1) I didn't see any mention of chalk not being allowed at the gym. (maybe I missed it?)
2) Deadlift Bro's form was all kinds of jacked up.
3) Oldlift Bro was a douche for interfering in the workout. I would have been sorely pressed to not give him a shove over the bar when he was standing next to it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Every hobby has guys like the roid rage guy. In shooting it is the bullseye shooters. They show up at the range and spend 30 minutes setting up all their gear so they can shoot one shot every three and a half minutes while they scribble results in a range diary between shots. Then some guy comes in and starts blasting having an ball and bullseye shooter looses self control and either passively complains to range staff that the new shooter is being unsafe or decides they are going to “teach” this new person how they should shoot. At the club I belong to, I’ve seen this play out many times.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top