BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Getting ready for the Biden administration. Testing new pallet-O-Cash delivery techniques.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Having an Ohio get popped isn't all that common.  It's happened, even back in the 90s but not by 3rd rate hacks.  It took a victor III or Akula and even they couldn't track them for long.

They letting attack skippers drive tactical boomers now?   Had to have been on purpose.   There are only 4 of those boats in existence, 2 for each coast. I can't believe they are reckless with them.
View Quote

It's an almost 50 year old design. The Ohio-class hasn't been a black hole since the early 90s
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure this was done on purpose, but I don't know why we are wasting our time babysitting Iran.  They're a joke.  Their air force is made up of airplanes that we keep in museums.  Ignore them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's an almost 50 year old design. The Ohio-class hasn't been a black hole since the early 90s
View Quote
Its is, but with natural convection its still gotta be pretty damn quiet if it wants to be.

The SSGNs all had major upgrades during the conversion.  They should be the best boats in the ohio class from an equipment standpoint.  She didn't get out of the yard until 2008.

And again...its not like its the Germans, Brits or Russians that got her passively.   The Iranians visually tracked her, little showing of force I would say, or a huge cock up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Looked like it has a DDS on top. Hopefully there aren't SEALs stranded somewhere in the middle east right now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably intentional if she’s doing a surface search with a helo close.  In daylight no less with the USN announcing her presence.  

I will say this is one of the areas where a few SSKs would be handy.  Base them out of Diego Garcia and you have a more stealthy platform for watching that area.  I think if we had dumped the LCS project we could have fielded a pretty solid boost for about the same price, exported a bunch to Australia, Taiwan, and probably a few other places.  It would have been a mini F35 project for the pacific bringing allies closer together against China and giving us a more useful platform.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From the footage:

Almost at the surface of crytal clear water and had it's fucking persicope out of the water.

Yeah I don't think tjhey were going for a stealthy operation.

View Quote

This... Big nothingburger.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Having an Ohio get popped isn't all that common.  It's happened, even back in the 90s but not by 3rd rate hacks.  It took a victor III or Akula and even they couldn't track them for long.

They letting attack skippers drive tactical boomers now?   Had to have been on purpose.   There are only 4 of those boats in existence, 2 for each coast. I can't believe they are reckless with them.
View Quote

Well, reckless I suppose. Probability that a nation like Iran would attack one? Very, very unlikely. Good way to get stomped into the stone age.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Kind of hilarious reading Sub threads in GD isn't it? Really lets you know just how little people know about them-which is a good thing.
View Quote
The majority of my sub knowledge comes from this guy. https://youtube.com/c/JiveTurkeyCrew .
I know enough now to know I don't know much.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sonar? I don't think it works that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA Helicopter not drone, that’s even worse! Sonar team didn’t detect a frigging helo?

Yes it do LOL. Sound waves from the air also travel through water my friend.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd like to know how anyone knows that is American?

All I see is a shadow of a sub.
View Quote

It's an SSGN, no other navy in the world has a submarine that looks like that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes it does. "Conn, Sonar flyover north to south."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah I see. I thought it meant the blip from the sonar was gonna bounce off the helicopter. I guess I had the misconception that sonar meant active echolocation.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
All right, Ryan, we just unzipped our fly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The water is shallow and fairly clear I think.

If the sub is shallow enough you can see it.
View Quote

Pretty much this. The average depth is something like 150 feet and the deepest point is less than 300 feet; the water is also pretty clear. It's going to be difficult to hide something like that for long.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep.  Multi-dimensional chess by sub skipper.
View Quote
Likely 3 dimensional since it appears they approached the surface.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
That music.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's an SSGN, no other navy in the world has a submarine that looks like that.
View Quote
Big bastard with sail planes.  That does narrow it down.  I don't think there are any flight 1 688s still in service.

Russia does have large SSGNs but they don't look very similar.  Pretty easy for even an amateur to ID that sub as an Ohio in general and the SSGN version due to the pod on the deck.   Given that there are only 4 and the navy announced the Georgia's transit through the area...thats about as good as PID gets on a sub, short of a detailed acoustic fingerprint, which I doubt the Iranians are capable of producing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's their nuclear admissions and the fact the Israel is within range of warheads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure this was done on purpose, but I don't know why we are wasting our time babysitting Iran.  They're a joke.  Their air force is made up of airplanes that we keep in museums.  Ignore them.

It's their nuclear admissions and the fact the Israel is within range of warheads.

Do you really think they have the balls (and stupidity) to launch a nuclear ballistic missile from Iran to Israel?  I can't imagine any scenario where that happens.

Third World nuclear weapons are more about "look at me, I'm somebody!"  Who are we to say what country gets to have them and doesn't?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you really think they have the balls (and stupidity) to launch a nuclear ballistic missile from Iran to Israel?  I can't imagine any scenario where that happens.

Third World nuclear weapons are more about "look at me, I'm somebody!"  Who are we to say what country gets to have them and doesn't?
View Quote

They don’t need to launch them.

What they need is the ability to launch them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guarantee this was a planned sighting. I've had my semi truck parked next to the USS Georgia. It's pretty badass. No pics as they aren't allowed, similar to when I backed in next to Delta 4 rocket.
View Quote

Lol the old Georgia. I left right after the missile offload before the GN refit.

The Georgia has a history of scrapes. Took out a helo during a medical evacuation. And supposedly sunk a troller.

More peacetime kills than any other boat

When she was SSBN we only came to periscope depth at night, or unless absolutely necessary. One would think the straights would be littered with sonar bouys. They know you’re there, might as well show them your new guns.

I can guarantee cruise missile launch depth is NOT periscope depth.

I doubt it’s an accident.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They don't need to launch them.

View Quote
This, even the biggest badasses on the planet with both the nuclear and conventional forces to deal with a conflict have never fired one in anger.  It's about ability not use.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's some sort of "law of the sea" that in certain passages submarines are supposed to surface to prove their peaceful intent.  Then, as soon as they pass, disappear under the waves.   And agitate the locals, because they know it's there, but not where it is.
View Quote

I never heard anything like that during my submarine service.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Planes and helos definitely make noise that enters the water and is picked up by the guys listening, which is gonna be sonar techs at their stacks. Sonar doesn't necessarily always refer to active pinging.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The majority of my sub knowledge comes from this guy. https://youtube.com/c/JiveTurkeyCrew .
I know enough now to know I don't know much.
View Quote

He's got some neat videos, but check out Smarter Every Day. He got to ride a 688 under the ice and breaks down what he is allowed to which I think would be interesting to someone who wants to know a little more.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kind of hilarious reading Sub threads in GD isn't it? Really lets you know just how little people know about them-which is a good thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]
How Sonar Works (Submarine Shadow Zone) - Smarter Every Day 249

Destin teaches GD yet again.

This time about sonar. It gets a little complicated so hold on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#31]
You should contact CNO and the Captain of that sub with your revelations on how to operate a sub.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If it was seen it was because it wanted to be seen.

It's even scarier when the boogieman actually is under your bed...
View Quote

Yeah, it's meant to send a message.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA Helicopter not drone, that’s even worse! Sonar team didn’t detect a frigging helo?

What if you aim it up?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It would've much cooler if the Iranians went all Coast Guard and banged on the hatch "ALTO TU BARCO!"
View Quote

The only suitable response:
Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He's got some neat videos, but check out Smarter Every Day. He got to ride a 688 under the ice and breaks down what he is allowed to which I think would be interesting to someone who wants to know a little more.
View Quote

JiveTurkey's video explaining how sonar works was much more informative than smarter every day's.  Of course that's probably because jiveturkey was a sonar operator on a 688 among other boats.  I watched S.E.D.'s videos and liked them, but I don't know of anybody on youtube with better sub content than jiveturkey.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sonar team didn’t detect a frigging helo?
View Quote

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Periscope depth in an area where the Iranian navy was conducting drills?

Sounds like it may have been intentional to me
View Quote

100%

They are playing games and sending a subtle yet strong message.  That thing carries an average of 100 cruise missiles and up to like 154 I think. Im betting after a few minutes it slowly slipped away back into the depths after making the point of "if we wanted to kill you we would have been able, see ya for now".
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

JiveTurkey's video explaining how sonar works was much more informative than smarter every day's.  Of course that's probably because jiveturkey was a sonar operator on a 688 among other boats.  I watched S.E.D.'s videos and liked them, but I don't know of anybody on youtube with better sub content than jiveturkey.
View Quote

I guess I should have been more clear, JiveTurkey has some awesome videos on sonar and different sounds and what they mean, but Destin does a good job of breaking down things from a non submariner aspect to hopefully get the average joe to understand how things work on the submarine. Each are good at what they do, and are good channels to watch and learn from.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ah I see. I thought it meant the blip from the sonar was gonna bounce off the helicopter. I guess I had the misconception that sonar meant active echolocation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're thinking of active sonar (one ping only).  Passive sonar listens for noise.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m positive it was intentional. Someone before phrased it perfectly, KNOWING the boogie man is hiding under your bed is even scarier than just thinking he is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would guess they are sending a message but I don’t know.  

Curious to see other opinions.
View Quote

you remember back a few days ago when "someone" talked about flying a plane into the capital in retaliation for the killing of the Iranian general?  Well maybe the message was, here is a reminder why letting that happen may be a really, really, bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Why are people so certain it was intentionally spotted? It wouldn't be the first time a captain fucked up in the US Navy...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Iran didn’t “bust” a damn thing. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot it, they’re rolling.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]
While flying the Kiowa Warrior overwater mission in the early 90's, we used to grab a deck when ever possible.  One of the ships we went out on was the USS Monterey.  Guided Missile Cruiser part of a group doing training off Puerto Rico.  I was flight lead sitting in the left seat doing some day training when I received a call from an orbiting P3 Orion.  

He was working "a Datum" and saw us on radar and called us on guard.  I responded and we switched fregs as not to clog the emergency freq.  I explained who we were, what we were doing and our capabilities.  He said he was working two contacts with us being right between the two.

About that time, a periscope popped up just in front of our 2 ship flight.  I took the controls from the right seater and while calling the contact to the Orion, I hovered over around it with it just outside the rotor disk.  I was able to stay on the opposite side of the lens while it did a couple of sweeps.

I finally stopped and waited for the lens to come around and stop on me.  I waved with my left hand and poof, he was gone like a bat out of hell.

A couple of nights later, I was able to do the same thing while under NVGs.

I thought if was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Posturing. "We are not afraid of you and we are willing to risk you shooting at us."
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/watch-us-nuclear-submarine-makes-rare-approach-iranian-naval-drills

Interesting, you know these normally covert activities require a new way of thinking, a new approach. You might want ELINT in advance of coming to periscope depth. Supposedly it was USS Georgia. Is the Captain in doo doo?

View Quote

The only reason a US Submarine gets detected is because they want to get detected .
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This, even the biggest badasses on the planet with both the nuclear and conventional forces to deal with a conflict have never fired one in anger.  It's about ability not use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't need to launch them.

I completely agree with you.  Nobody's going to use one, so treat it like it is.  The threat isn't real.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#49]
That’s a oof
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The only reason a US Submarine gets detected is because they want to get detected .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/watch-us-nuclear-submarine-makes-rare-approach-iranian-naval-drills

Interesting, you know these normally covert activities require a new way of thinking, a new approach. You might want ELINT in advance of coming to periscope depth. Supposedly it was USS Georgia. Is the Captain in doo doo?

ETA Helicopter not drone, that's even worse! Sonar team didn't detect a frigging helo?

That seems like a foolhardy assumption to make.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top