Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
OP: Your written composition is excellent for your age/generation/cohort. Especially considering they are just informal forum posts. You obviously care about being clear and using specificity of language.

Tech writing?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Chimney Tech or chimney sweeps are in demand. Dirty money cool Top hat not alot of competitors not sure what they’re paying you in the area you’re in , but we started our techs out around 16 an hour but we’re in Florida.  your areas differer some pay up to 30hr for certificated technicians. Been hit on by more house wives than you'd believe , had people chase me down in traffic its done well for the last 45 years for me so I always point folks at  it  ??
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
you need to get work with a BioMedical Company or work in a Hospital in a Bio Engineering Dept working on Hospital Instrumentation.
those 2 industries are hiring all the time.

are you willing to relocate?
Travel?
Email me your Resume.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#4]
What was your end goal when you obtained those degrees, think back and focus on those things. Second thing, if possible find a job with a good pension even if it means moving across country.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
PLCs/Robotics/Industrial Controls

ETA:  I don't currently have an opening in the above fields otherwise I'd be very interested in interviewing you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Sig Sauer seems to post that they’re hiring every few weeks. The company is growing like crazy it seems in most areas.

Located in NH and not a commie state (yet).

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]
PM sent with leads
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Hello Lt.

Join the .mil.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Alright, I'm gonna try to keep this short. Me:

+ 22yo recent grad from a public TX university with a BS biomedical eng, minor in bio (good grades)
+ been working at an Amazon FC for the past 6mo with zero luck finding a degree relevant job (not ideal for a multitude of reasons, but still surpass productivity expectations by 200% regularly)
+ no debt thanks to a scholarship so I got that going for me, but my immigrant parents don't have a lot of connections to help me out
+ US citizen with a perfect track record and no drugs, drinking, or girls
+ have 1500 volunteer EMS hours, 2x research internships, also a rock climbing instructor

Figured it's about time I get a little more creative than just throwing resumes to the wind - any of y'all looking for an intern/junior engineer?

+ open to moving anywhere in the country (prefer to avoid commie states but I won't complain) and starting ASAP
+ I have experience with basic CAD stuff in Solidworks, Fusion 360
+ can write code in python, MATLAB, C++, and also program microcontrollers
+ pretty good with hardware stuff, circuits, sensors, troubleshooting etc.
+ very interested in robotics, drones, various electronic devices, medicine, weapons

Any info, advice, or leads on finding a career path would be hugely helpful. Thanks for reading and take care
View Quote

Go learn a trade fast. Take it from someone with 4 college degrees. They don’t mean shit in the real world. If you want to have a secure future go find an electrical apprenticeship.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Want to work in the movies, son?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
OP sounds like good people. This has to be some sort of trap.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are employed by Amazon and have computer skills why not see what they have internally?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+ 22yo recent grad from a public TX university with a BS biomedical eng, minor in bio (good grades)
+ [color=#ff0000]been working at an Amazon FC for the past 6mo with zero luck finding a degree relevant job (not ideal for a multitude of reasons, but still surpass productivity expectations by 200% regularly) what does degree relevant job mean? you don't graduate college and transition to your dream job the next year.
+ no debt thanks to a scholarship so I got that going for me, but my immigrant parents don't have a lot of connections to help me out
+ US citizen with a perfect track record and no drugs, drinking, or girls i certainly wouldnt tell anyone who you want to hire you this, what were you doing when you were supposed to be learning about life? the last thing any boss wants is someone complaining about how their star performers who drank a beer that one time. why no girls? if its not your thing thats fine but lack of success in romance is usually a big red flag for one reason or another.
+ have 1500 volunteer EMS hours, 2x research internships, also a rock climbing instructor

Figured it's about time I get a little more creative than just throwing resumes to the wind - any of y'all looking for an intern/junior engineer?

+ open to moving anywhere in the country (prefer to avoid commie states but I won't complain) and starting ASAP
+ can write code in python, MATLAB, C++, and also program microcontrollers NY has over 300 open recs for c++ from intern/jr to architect. CA probably has double that. python is crazy hot right now, can you actually write a code or did you spend 2 weeks on a class talking about it? being able to write a calculator in python in a few hours should land you a remote job within 2 weeks.
+ very interested in robotics, drones, various electronic devices, medicine, weapons

Any info, advice, or leads on finding a career path would be hugely helpful. Thanks for reading and take care
View Quote

take the first job you get and get real corporate experience. it's a whole lot easier after the first one if you have any idea at all what you're doing and can work with people. teamwork and people skills are often more important than the technical side of things on a team. network. ask your friends from college.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you try Halliburton?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Join the Army?
View Quote

Not if he want to actually use any of his skills.

But I would consider joining ROTC for the local guard or reserve unit (or a unit where you want to be)  and get them to pay for a graduate degree
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've considered it - I actually put in an OCS packet about a month ago. Started the security clearance, passed the physical/medical, aced the ASVAB, and was recommended by the board after my interview. However, I have not heard a word back since then. To tell you the truth, I would still prefer to find a regular civilian job, but joining the military is a close second and I'm sure I'd thrive there as well.

I'd rather not enlist as that wouldn't allow me to utilize what I've learned over the past four years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Join the Army?

I've considered it - I actually put in an OCS packet about a month ago. Started the security clearance, passed the physical/medical, aced the ASVAB, and was recommended by the board after my interview. However, I have not heard a word back since then. To tell you the truth, I would still prefer to find a regular civilian job, but joining the military is a close second and I'm sure I'd thrive there as well.

I'd rather not enlist as that wouldn't allow me to utilize what I've learned over the past four years.

Don’t enlist...OCS only!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#17]
There’s 40 biomedical engineer jobs on USAjobs.gov right now. Also check out the recent grad internships on there. They start you off usually around GS7 pay.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, you are having a hard tie finding a job?
I don't believe you.
View Quote

Plenty of jobs in Huntsville Alabama.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Did I get in before Old Economy Steve says "just knock on doors"?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome back.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You learn a lot more at college than just how to math and science, and a whole lotta useless stuff as well. I'm just saying I don't want to be chucked in the same group with a lot of 18 year olds right out of high school, you feel me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, because being a butterbar AG officer is definitely the way to use your biomedical engineering education!
Join as a warrant officer to go to flight school!

You learn a lot more at college than just how to math and science, and a whole lotta useless stuff as well. I'm just saying I don't want to be chucked in the same group with a lot of 18 year olds right out of high school, you feel me?

My brother graduated from a prestigious private school, enlisted in the Marines and entered a MOS that had absolutely nothing to do with what he studied. Makes more than what I do, all benefits and compensation considered.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Trimedx

Call them immediately.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good luck! I know that getting a start in Biomedical Engineering can be rough.
View Quote
Not if "imaging" is part of your resume.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Check Huntsville, AL pretty much all engineering in this area.

Alot of new business moving this way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Pharma/med device sales - look into what you'd need to do to get a foot in the door and what sort of experience needed to get into that industry. Pharm salespeople do very-very well for themselves.

Aside from the degree, what else is on your resume? While some may scoff at head-hunters, I would reach out to some as well as creating a Linkedin page. The jobs they may have might suck and you may not be interested but do yourself a favor and talk to as many as you can and have as many interviews as you can. The more experience you have interviewing, the better you become and listen to them when they offer suggestions on your CV.

Damn near everything in life is sales; getting laid, getting a job, etc...might as well get paid for it. And yes, medical sales does very-very well and will continue to do well regardless if sniffin' Joe bloats Medicaid like FBHO did.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I dont know if you have tried usajobs.gov but there are lots of engineering positions including biomedical. Be warned the .gov is usually  slow to hire.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in the same boat as the OP except a lot older, working as Mr. Mom and unleashing my inner domestic diva during the day. I graduated in Dec 2019, had an internship for 6 months, and nothing since except an interview a couple months ago.

I will upgrade and check out that forum someone mentioned earlier in the thread

I have a BSEE, I'm more hardware focused than software. I have years of experience as a mechanic and office guy (I am an A&P) in the aerospace world, but have been trying to move into the utility/power industry. Also interested in RF. Passed my Electrical/Computer FE in August.

Willing to relocate to a free state...

Best wishes for the OP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Air Force or FBI
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Linkedin . You need to join and get active
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting first post
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are actually in Colorado, Boulder has a decent biotech footprint.  Depending on your career goals, you might also want to look at companies that specialize in consulting/shepherding applications through the FDA process.

Mrs. vim and a daughter (who has a PhD in Mech Eng/Neuromechanics) both work for one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't apply here. These boomers will bleed you dry for minimal pay.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. Get more girls.
2. I lived in CO for 25 years and it's not what it used to be.
3. IM me. I'll respond with my email address so you can send a resume. I am currently in DoD contracting and have a lifetime of commercial/industrial experience.
4. Don't join the Army.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Try finding a government job that has an apprenticeship program. Once you get in and you have a clearance you should have no trouble finding GS rated jobs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+ been working at an Amazon FC for the past 6mo with zero luck finding a degree relevant job (not ideal for a multitude of reasons, but still surpass productivity expectations by 200% regularly)

View Quote

This might sound odd, but Arizona Department of Corrections might need someone with those qualities in our IT division. All I can give you is the state jobs board if you want to wade through it and see if we have something you might like. In the coming depression a government job might be a solid idea.
https://www.azstatejobs.gov/jobs/search/
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Pharmacy School.

Added benefit - Most are more female than male ratio, almost the opposite of engineering school. And, the females are generally not crazy and are really smart.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Message sent...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#38]
OccasionallyShot and FlynBenny,

I sent each of you an email with links to engineering jobs that are hiring in CO right now.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#39]
@OP... PM SENT!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thank you. It's been rough for my entire graduating class - I'd say the vast majority have not been able to find jobs in their career fields, even as engineers. Most went back for graduate programs, which I simply can't afford. I will continue to expand my LinkedIn connections though.

It is difficult to stay motivated sending applications, but I don't have much of a choice. I am under the impression that the school has little interest in assisting with the job search - I've exhausted most of the provided resources with no results. Perhaps I need to change my approach.
View Quote

Holy shit fellas.  If we can’t get this fella some interviews we need to do a go fund me to send him to graduate school.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://stackoverflow.com/jobs?q=C%2B%2B+&c=usd&ms=Student&mxs=Junior&j=Permanent

Always room for more Software guys.  Knowing how to code is a lot more important than what your degree was in.

Also take a look at Entry Level engineer positions (Tool Engineer, etc) at outfits like Boeing, LockMart, etc, that you could leverage your CAD skills for.  A lot of those places are essentially degree-agnostic (so long as it's an Engineering discipline, or math/physics, etc) for Entry-Level guys.

Evil Gubmint GS jobs:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Results?k=biomedical%20engineer
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Apply to Air Force UPT.

<-From someone who did the officer thing in the USMC and flew for the Army. I don’t regret much in life, but selling my self short and not trying to fly for the Air Force is one of them.

Also, most importantly, pick where you want to live NOW. Don’t just settle for an ok area... I did, and the next thing you know you are in your mid 30s with a wife, kid, and a stable career that’s too good to leave.

Go out and drive across this country. It’s massive, and much of it is just plain awesome. Pick a spot you really like, and make a life there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Biomed engineer? Have you contacted GE, Phillips, Siemens or other imaging companies? I consistently hear the guys working on hospital equipment in radiology depts about how they don't have enough people for all the equipment that keeps breaking down. Hear there's openings all the time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
you need to get work with a BioMedical Company or work in a Hospital in a Bio Engineering Dept working on Hospital Instrumentation.

Travel?
Email me your Resume.
View Quote
What OKnativeson says. And IM sent to you OP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No girls? What the fuck did you do with your undergrad experience? Lol in all seriousness good luck bro
View Quote

I was going to say the same thing because I, too, am immature.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Join the Army?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ been working at an Amazon FC for the past 6mo with zero luck finding a degree relevant job (dislike it here for a multitude of reasons)
+ US citizen with a perfect track record

Figured it's about time I get a little more creative then just throwing resumes to the wind - any of y'all looking for an intern/junior engineer?

+ open to moving anywhere in the country (prefer to avoid commie states but I won't complain)
+ pretty good with hardware stuff, circuits, sensors, etc.

Join the Army?

This or a 3 letter agency. Next would be a system integrator like NG, Saic, etc
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#47]
OP check out Philips, they are down in Colorado Springs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#48]
IM'd or emailed several of you. I really appreciate it and will thoroughly explore all of these options/opportunities.

Quoted:
So, you are having a hard tie finding a job?
I don't believe you.
View Quote

Unfortunately, yes. I know for certain I've sent upwards of several hundred applications and with a dozen or so interviews? A huge percentage of my graduating class is in the same predicament and many of them opted to return to school.

Quoted:
That seems like a pretty specialized degree. Your school doesn't have networks and placement assistance for that kind of thing?
View Quote

They do, they even have their own job listing site (Handshake) but it has offered a success (or even reply) rate lower than any other hiring network.

Those resources have been of very little use - the school seems more interested in snail mailing the alumni with requests for donations.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP: Your written composition is excellent for your age/generation/cohort. Especially considering they are just informal forum posts. You obviously care about being clear and using specificity of language.

Tech writing?
View Quote

Certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, those roles are something I will have to take a closer look at.

Quoted:

Travel?
Email me your Resume.
View Quote

I have no reservations with regards to relocating or traveling. Email inbound.

Quoted:
What was your end goal when you obtained those degrees, think back and focus on those things. Second thing, if possible find a job with a good pension even if it means moving across country.
View Quote

My end goal is to work on an engineer team doing R&D for medical devices, electronics, weapons, etc. Much easier said than done, unfortunately. I may have to go back to school for an MS.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:28:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you are employed by Amazon and have computer skills why not see what they have internally?
View Quote

I've been sending internal apps nonstop since I've been here. Problem is, if you are a productive worker, they show very little interest in moving you around as their priorities lie with maximizing the numbers when it comes to jobs that require human labor. I've interviewed a couple of times, but the number of level 1 employees far outnumbers any openings elsewhere in the company.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top