[#1]
Well, darn, luck ran out.

The AnyTone AT-D878UV is OOS for at least a week at Bridgecom. :(
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wait a minute. Is HF short wave?

Is all I need a short wave radio to listen to HF?
View Quote

Generally speaking, yes!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ooh boy its here. It decided to snow earlier and coat the tree, but that isn't going to stop me from climbing up there and tying off a half of the antenna.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369762/0112211027_jpg-1776320.JPG
View Quote

Nice, mine should be here in a couple days.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got asked what I ended up getting from DX Engineering, so here is a short write up. I got the antenna up after about a million trips into the attic and the tree I am putting it in, with some small changes to how I originally wanted to run things, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

What I did was not necessarily the cheapest option, however I know a lot of people I have seen online and spoken with said the radio was one they have been happy with. All of this was purchased at DX Engineering, only due to them having the antenna I decided on in stock. Other retailers like Ham Radio Outlet and Gigaparts are also a good source and have the radio with instant rebate and Mail In Rebate as well.
Radio: Icom 7300 Will do all HF bands, along with 6M (50MHz) I paid $1099 and it also includes a $100 Mail in Rebate, which can be completed online with photos of the Invoice and UPC on box.
Power Supply: Kenwood KPS-15. Rated for 25A peak, 23A continuous. Radio said it needed 21A max, so I felt comfortable with the small amount of wiggle room. $146.99
Antenna: MFJ 1778 G5RV 180-10M wire antenna. This is 102' long so it does require some space to hang. My measurements were not exact so the majority of the antenna is straight, with a bend in the middle to make it fit in my backyard, along with the ends pulled down vertical. The ladderline is hanging down and then curves where it enters my house since I only have a single story and the antenna is only about 15-20' in the air. This will likely be an issue on the higher bands to get out, but should work very well as an NVIS antenna, or that is my hope. $69.95
Coax: DX Engineering house brand LMR400 Coax in 25' length with preinstalled PL-259 connectors. $47.99
Accessories:
Mastrant 3mmx100ft of cordage to tie off into my tree and on the ends. $9.99
4 pack of 2-4MM pulleys to run the cordage through to pull the antenna tight where I wanted it. $13.99

Like I mentioned before, this may not be ideal based on the amount of space you have, but for me, it should get me going on HF. I can upgrade and adjust as necessary. Wire antennas tend to take more space horizontally so if you are space constrained, its possible you might want to look into verticals. They can run into their own set of issues with needing a good ground plane made of radials, but some say they aren't required (Cushcraft R-9), but verticals can be tall (think 30-45'). I am not the most well versed on HF but from the time I have spent looking at things these seemed like the best workaround for me currently.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
wait a minute. Is HF short wave?

Is all I need a short wave radio to listen to HF?
View Quote

"Shortwave" is a slang or alternative term for HF, yes. see: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/HAM-BaoFeng-radios-for-dummies/5-2409555/?page=6#i90442080

Although semantically, it's usually used to refer to broadcasting on the HF bands, while two-way communications are generally just called HF.

Some "shortwave radios" are designed to receive broadcast stations and may not have coverage over the entire HF spectrum. Also, lower cost shortwave radios generally don't have the SSB mode which is needed to listen to most non-broadcast users of the HF spectrum.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ooh boy its here. It decided to snow earlier and coat the tree, but that isn't going to stop me from climbing up there and tying off a half of the antenna.

View Quote

Sweet! I’m about to order mine. Which site did you order from?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeahhh buddy!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sweet! I’m about to order mine. Which site did you order from?
View Quote

I used DX Engineering due to them also having the MFJ antenna in stock. The other big names like HRO and Gigaparts also had it in stock with the same instant and mail in rebates, however I wanted to do a one stop shop. Ideally I wanted to do it off amazon smile and that way APC would get a small donation, however they don't allow the instant rebate to be applied, so that is an extra $200.

My coax measurement may be off, even though I included the Air Wound Balun required by the antenna, but it was a total WAG so we will see. If it is, it will make decent coax for a dual band antenna due to being low loss on the higher freq's just the same.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I used DX Engineering due to them also having the MFJ antenna in stock. The other big names like HRO and Gigaparts also had it in stock with the same instant and mail in rebates, however I wanted to do a one stop shop. Ideally I wanted to do it off amazon smile and that way APC would get a small donation, however they don't allow the instant rebate to be applied, so that is an extra $200.

My coax measurement may be off, even though I included the Air Wound Balun required by the antenna, but it was a total WAG so we will see. If it is, it will make decent coax for a dual band antenna due to being low loss on the higher freq's just the same.
View Quote

I’m thinking about trying to put an antenna in my attic. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m thinking about trying to put an antenna in my attic. Any recommendations?
View Quote

Honestly, I'm still learning with HF as well. Most of my time has been spent on HTs and making different antennas for them. It may not work as efficiently as something in open air between a pair of trees but it should be fine, as long as you don't have a metal roof. I have mine half outside, half inside running the length of my house so far. I just need to get back under the house to route some coax so I haven't had a chance to listen to mine yet.

I would refer you to our ham forum here, or see if @elcope @tnc can give you more direction.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I picked up the IC-7300 too.  Mine just arrived today.  It's the only component I have picked up so far, so it is still in the box.  I still need a power source, an antenna and various cables/connections, as well as a mic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
central ks monitoring 7.213 alternating to 3.861
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I used DX Engineering due to them also having the MFJ antenna in stock. The other big names like HRO and Gigaparts also had it in stock with the same instant and mail in rebates, however I wanted to do a one stop shop. Ideally I wanted to do it off amazon smile and that way APC would get a small donation, however they don't allow the instant rebate8 to be applied, so that is an extra $200.

View Quote

I cant wait for you to multi hop the ionosphere and contact some czechoslovakian arfcommer!

Exciting times.

Am I using the right lingo. Currently watt ching general vids.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll add a little side note because I've not seen it posted elsewhere.

Those buying switching power supplies, they can create noise on the bands.  It's what I run and never really caused me any issue. Linear power supplies are more ideal and do not cause this. But guess what? They are more expensive. Shocking, right? And you want a power supply that will do 25-30 amps.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fuck

Coming from you that’s serious as cancer
View Quote

I agree! OP's alert raised the ol' pucker factor
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

out of all of those only the 990, the 880 and the 600 do sideband.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Similar to these are the Tecsun PL series.   They are made in China, but have very positive reviews and apparently very good circuitry.   Some of the above items (Grundig and similar) may be made in China as well.

These would be the Tecsun PL-990 (the top of their range), PL-880, PL-600, PL-380, and PL-310ET.   They all do SSB.
The PL-380 and PL-310ET are around $50, but have a lot of bang for the buck.  The PL-990 is around $270.

The PL-380 and PL-310ET are very similar, but the PL-310ET has a jack to connect an external antenna, while the PL-380 does not.

https://www.amazon.com/TECSUN-PL-310ET-Stereo-World-allnice/dp/B0104J57GS

out of all of those only the 990, the 880 and the 600 do sideband.

I picked up a PL660 from Ebay for just over $100. Hopefully that will work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So you're telling my my two Boefeng's are useless now.  I read a thread not long ago that said I have to have some so I bought two! (OK, it was mostly because my jeeper friends are moving to them)

Will this HF talk to my Boefang's? If not, how on earth is any of this useful if one group is using one and another group using another.  I've found that the people really into this are smart they are incapable of dumbing any of it down.  Case in point there is an entire first page of people begging to simply be told what specifically to buy and finally a couple examples are given on page 2
View Quote

@JPL they are perfect for your MAG for patrolling and neighborhood watch. Get some kick ass coms training at Brushbeater Training
totally worth every penny!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I may have mispoke, but cant find the original post the 660 does sideband as well.  @JoeJeeps
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone wanting to tinker and listen to an SDR water fall for free can go to this website and listen to a remote SDR.

http://www.websdr.org/

Really fun to play with.
Still trying to hear a SKYKING :p
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck, I just got done helping my kiddos with their math (which I am horrible at anyway so it's extra time consuming for me)...I can go through these 15 pages but I'm too damn lazy and tired to do that now.  Would one of you dudes who knows about the ham stuff PM me what a decent unit to buy is?  I don't have big bucks, something reasonable, if that's possible.  You don't need to get into any technical stuff if you don't want, just a model number would be great.

If not, fuck it, I'll send smoke signals and carrier pigeons.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@JPL they are perfect for your MAG for patrolling and neighborhood watch. Get some kick ass coms training at Brushbeater Training
totally worth every penny!
View Quote

That looks fun!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#23]
www.preparedham.com is a great website for ham radio that is specifically preparedness minded. They have a forum there as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I may have mispoke, but cant find the original post the 660 does sideband as well.  @JoeJeeps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woohoo!  Here's where I bought it for anyone else interested.

Tecsun PL-660

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tecsun PL-660

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tecsun PL-660

I don't have one but those seem like a decent radio. Synchronous AM should help with AM (by that I mean normal medium wave) and shortwave broadcast listening.

For a little techie tidbit, I'll explain Synchronous AM and why it's a good thing.

AM is a type of signal modulation ("mode") that is very simple to produce and decode, one of the earliest modes used in radio communications. The resulting signal consists of a carrier signal, along with two positive and negative mirror images of the audio mixed with the carrier. The two mirror images are the upper and lower side bands. Single Sideband (SSB) as is used in communications is a "dissected" AM signal, in that the carrier and other sideband are removed, leaving just one of the two mirror image sidebands. The receiver can reconstruct the signal by mirroring the signal to produce the other sideband, and injecting its own carrier.

Synchronous AM uses similar processing on an AM signal to produce better quality reception. It removes the original carrier from the received one and substitutes it's own. More advanced implementations also receive both of the sidebands independently and sometimes use some logic to use whichever one is better.  The end result of this electronic trickery can be a substantial improvement in sound quality and reduction in fading, at the downside of having to tune the signal very precisely just as one has to do with SSB.  You can sometimes improve reception of an AM station manually by trying LSB and USB separately and seeing if one or the other sounds better. Sometimes you might have some noise on one that isn't present on the other.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Woo Hoo!!

Just in time for tonight's 40/80M regular weekly net.
View Quote

I don't know what this is, but will I be able to listen in with my Tecsun PL-660?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I forgot to mention: dibs on HF rig if you fall out of tree.
View Quote

Well you almost had your chance. First leap to grab a branch my hands slipped, and when I looked up I realized I was inches away from a little stub that would have likely ripped my palm open had I grabbed there. Then while working my way up, the wet/icy branch I was standing on decided it no longer wanted to give traction to my shoe and I almost lost my footing. However the antenna is in the tree and the house and wired up. I am working on some final steps, however it is mostly ready to go. 9/10 would recommend
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This may have been mentioned before, but if times are such that we're relegated to talking on HF it would seem like a big HF antenna would make you a target. Some people might be able to hide a dipole, some won't. A tower or roof mounted array would stick out like a sore thumb in most places.

And don't forget that many Ham operators are the original Karens. If you're transmitting the wrong things they'll fall all over themselves to fox hunt your location and sell you out to the FCC or worse.
View Quote

It’s fie ow you can just say you identify as someone licensed at the next tier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Antenna question:  What about lightning?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Antenna question:  What about lightning?
View Quote

greatquestion.jpg

There are such  things as a lightning arrestor. (Polyphaser being the one I have the most experience with.) They go between the antenna and radio. (Please note they are band specific. Also can be multi band. They also come in a host of different connectors.) But you'll need a grounding rod to hook them to.

They help. They aren't going to stop everything. But it's cheap insurance to at least try to keep your equipment and everything else safe.

Grounding can be a whole nother crazy subject. Bonding wires with grounding rods can be simple and hard depending on what you're doing. Big thing is to make sure there is a good corrosion free contact.

Also if you live someplace dry, don't forget to water your grounding rod. It needs a good electrical connection.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Long time ham radio operator, and been to many remote places in the world to operate, and willing to help others out.

Unfortunately I only managed to quickly scan about the first 7 pages and then jumped to the end due to time constraints this morning.

One thing I didn't see readily covered, is that in selecting an HF radio it is super helpful to have a general coverage receiver as one of the selection criteria.
An older Icom 735 would be a good example of such a radio and could be purchased used.  General coverage will allow you to scan the bands outside of the normal amateur radio bands, and as such you can listen to some of the AM radio stations as well as other shortwave frequencies.  This is where you may end up getting the bulk of your news in a SHTF scenario.

Much like other aspects of preparing radio can be a bit complicated for those not familiar and therefore takes a bit of learning, but it is a good skill to have.

If you don't have your license, most folks can study for a few days and pass the technician exam.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Are these "shortwave" receivers people are talking about able to run on an external antenna? I've had a cheaper one and it just had a built in telescoping antenna. Is that enough to pick up lower powered amateur transmissions?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#34]
This may be more of a cultural question, but when I was a kid, lots of people had high-powered radios - I always assumed they were CBs but wouldn't have known the difference - and I can remember when people would use their radios the way we use text/cell now. I can remember hearing my uncle get on his home CB (complete with 50' tall antenna) and contact his buddies to plan a fishing trip.

Was this just a leftover artifact of a time before landline phones? Is that culture, with its expensive CB radios and antennas and amplifiers that all sat at its own table in the living room, gone now? Or is that basically what you ham guys do?

Second question: I live in a house with a metal roof. Is there a way to manipulate it into working as an antenna without actually attaching a radio to it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Absolutely this.  This isn't the thread for $2500-3000 entry fees and serious time investments to do HAM "for fun."  People are linking to threads about getting licensing; are you kidding me?  The entire purpose of this thread is for setting up backup communications for when the Internet becomes too censored to actually transmit and receive any information.  Under those foundational assumptions, HAM licenses will be irrelevant and revoked without recourse anyway, and all of our transmissions will be illegal.  If they weren't, we wouldn't need any of this.  We're seeing "digital Kristallnacht" unfold before our eyes tonight, and this is the thread to figure out what we actually need to do to avoid being completely in the dark under tyranny and [at least fourth generation] civil war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Absolutely this.  This isn't the thread for $2500-3000 entry fees and serious time investments to do HAM "for fun."  People are linking to threads about getting licensing; are you kidding me?  The entire purpose of this thread is for setting up backup communications for when the Internet becomes too censored to actually transmit and receive any information.  Under those foundational assumptions, HAM licenses will be irrelevant and revoked without recourse anyway, and all of our transmissions will be illegal.  If they weren't, we wouldn't need any of this.  We're seeing "digital Kristallnacht" unfold before our eyes tonight, and this is the thread to figure out what we actually need to do to avoid being completely in the dark under tyranny and [at least fourth generation] civil war.
 @PatrickHangry, I can see what you mean here.  

But try to look at it this way: the minimal knowledge you are going to need to be able to practically use the equipment is roughly the same knowledge that is required for licensing.   So, the advice to study and get your license is really just what is needed to enable you to use the equipment in an effective way without giving yourself or others RF burns, causing so much interference to other systems that you draw unwanted attention to yourself, or being unable to get the system into a functional condition to provide good communications.   Once you have learned all the relevant information, you might as well get licensed, because it will enable you to practice using your equipment legally with no worry of enforcement action.
Quoted:
What do people actually need?  We have someone here talking about 70 foot antennas for transmitting properly, and 25 foot antennas to just get by.  Seriously?  Can we get by with some particular type of wire (what type) running up a tall tree (and ending in what, for transmission?), or are we supposed to erect a giant pole outside our house?  That's an absurd entry barrier for most, in which case it's far more practical to only receive continentally and transmit locally with a group (e.g. American Pioneer Corps) who actually have the capacity to transmit continentally.  Now, maybe I'm wrong here, and there's a really good reason why everyone needs to invest their life savings into putting the Eiffel Tower in their back yard.  If that's actually necessary then fine, and let's all get on the same page...otherwise, let's reel the scope creep in a little!  
   Everyone doesn't necessarily need a tall tower, however, an awful lot can be accomplished by hanging wires from existing trees.   How long does your wire have to be, what configuration and what kind of wire?   There is no simple answer, but that is not the fault of the people that were giving you good advice.   It is due to the fact that radio transmissions are governed by the laws of electromagnetism and physics, and they are somewhat complex.    

Luckily, the knowledge to deploy functional antennas has been accumulated and distilled into practical guidance over time, and it is available in various references.      In general, I would recommend the many books by the ARRL on antenna design.   A couple of these that may be most relevant for you:

ARRL HF Antennas Book

ARRL Basic Antennas

For your purposes, I would definitely buy one or both of these books, as well as the ARRL Operating Manual and preserve them for future reference, if you really don't have the time to study them now.   There are other books on the subject, which you may want to investigate to determine which would be best for your specific circumstances.  

However, if some catastrophic event happens suddenly, and you have an immediate urgent need for communication, having a big roll of wire stocked, but an unread book is still going to result quite a delay before you even figure out exactly what kind of antenna you should be building.   You might also discover you need a certain type of connector or coax that might be unavailable to order or procure in those conditions.   The best time to start learning, preparing, and gathering supplies is now.

Quoted:
Yaesu FT-857D, no link; Amazon's results come up with other models like the FT-891 ($700) and ben's recommendation

In practical terms, what's the reason to get a $1200 one instead of a $619 one?  ben mentioned he'd be giving a higher powered recommendation shortly.  Are the price tiers about wattage and transmission range?  People are also talking about "scanners" too, which makes it sound like they're different from transceivers.  What accessories do we actually need, and why, and is there a package where we can just "buy and forget, until we actually have time and cognitive capacity to learn this stuff?"  
I would highly recommend the Yaesu FT-891 HF Transceiver for long range HF communications.  

The more expensive models are going to have increased capabilities, whether it is range, or signal discrimination, which means getting a clearer signal than cheaper  models which might not even be able to detect a signal or communicate in the same circumstances.    

Yes, scanners are different than transceivers.  Scanners are receivers that are dedicated to scanning through many frequencies to detect other people's transmissions.  (scanners don't transmit at all)  They can contribute a lot to situational awareness, and can be kept operating while doing other activities.   Transceivers can have some simple scanning functions, but aren't as capable for this task as a dedicated scanner.
Quoted:
In practical terms, what does the Eton Elite receiver get me over just having a transceiver?  What does the absurdly expensive version gain over the reasonably priced version?

A dedicated receiver like the Eton Elite is usually simpler to operate than a transceiver and works well if all you want to do is listen / receive.  
The expensive versions will have more sensitive reception circuitry (which means they can receive weaker, distant signals better), bigger speakers for louder, clearer sound, bigger readouts and controls, and more features, which can make them more flexible or capable in some cases.  

Personally, I think for someone like you, who isn't in it for a hobby, but wants practical capability, the best bang for the buck for an HF receiver would be something like a Tecsun PL-380 (~$50). (or a Tecsun PL-310ET if you want to connect an external antenna)

Edited to add:  Please note it has been pointed out that these two basic Tecsun models do NOT do Single Sideband (SSB), however the Tecsun PL-990, Tecsun PL-880, and Tecsun PL-660 DO have SSB capability, as well as having more features and performance than those basic models (PL-380 and PL-310ET).

Also, note that for things like HF radios, you will need a good quality power supply to power it (or a large capacity 13.8 volt battery, if you want to be operational in grid-down situations).    This means you will need to pay some attention to battery chargers too.

To summarize a bit:  The Baofengs are good for short range, tactical communications, and are easy to use.   HF is capable of longer range communications, but is not as simple to set-up and operate.   Receivers and especially scanners are good for gaining situational awareness.

Don't forget you will also need: RF connectors, wire, coax, power supply, power wire and connectors.  Read the ARRL Operating Manual and the owners manual of your radio hardware to figure out exactly what these will be.

Don't be too wary of the requirements to learn how things work; it really isn't that bad.   During the early days of radio, in the midst of the Great Depression, interested individuals were able to gain impressive skills just from scarce magazine articles and library books.   These days, invaluable information is available by the gigabyte, only a few keystrokes away, to read online, or have it delivered to your doorstep in the form of books and reference materials.    Take advantage of this now, unless you think this availability will continue forever.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
 @PatrickHangry, I can see what you mean here.  

But try to look at it this way: the minimal knowledge you are going to need to be able to practically use the equipment is roughly the same knowledge that is required for licensing.   So, the advice to study and get your license is really just what is needed to enable you to use the equipment in an effective way without giving yourself or others RF burns, causing so much interference to other systems that you draw unwanted attention to yourself, or being unable to get the system into a functional condition to provide good communications.   Once you have learned all the relevant information, you might as well get licensed, because it will enable you to practice using your equipment legally with no worry of enforcement action.
   Everyone doesn't necessarily need a tall tower, however, an awful lot can be accomplished by hanging wires from existing trees.   How long does your wire have to be, what configuration and what kind of wire?   There is no simple answer, but that is not the fault of the people that were giving you good advice.   It is due to the fact that radio transmissions are governed by the laws of electromagnetism and physics, and they are somewhat complex.    

Luckily, the knowledge to deploy functional antennas has been accumulated and distilled into practical guidance over time, and it is available in various references.      In general, I would recommend the many books by the ARRL on antenna design.   A couple of these that may be most relevant for you:

ARRL HF Antennas Book

ARRL Basic Antennas

For your purposes, I would definitely buy one or both of these books, as well as the ARRL Operating Manual and preserve them for future reference, if you really don't have the time to study them now.   There are other books on the subject, which you may want to investigate to determine which would be best for your specific circumstances.  

However, if some catastrophic event happens suddenly, and you have an immediate urgent need for communication, having a big roll of wire stocked, but an unread book is still going to result quite a delay before you even figure out exactly what kind of antenna you should be building.   You might also discover you need a certain type of connector or coax that might be unavailable to order or procure in those conditions.   The best time to start learning, preparing, and gathering supplies is now.
 I would highly recommend the Yaesu FT-891 HF Transceiver for long range HF communications.  

The more expensive models are going to have increased capabilities, whether it is range, or signal discrimination, which means getting a clearer signal than cheaper  models which might not even be able to detect a signal or communicate in the same circumstances.    

Yes, scanners are different than transceivers.  Scanners are receivers that are dedicated to scanning through many frequencies to detect other people's transmissions.  (scanners don't transmit at all)  They can contribute a lot to situational awareness, and can be kept operating while doing other activities.   Transceivers can have some simple scanning functions, but aren't as capable for this task as a dedicated scanner.

A dedicated receiver like the Eton Elite is usually simpler to operate than a transceiver and works well if all you want to do is listen / receive.  
The expensive versions will have more sensitive reception circuitry (which means they can receive weaker, distant signals better), bigger speakers for louder, clearer sound, bigger readouts and controls, and more features, which can make them more flexible or capable in some cases.  

Personally, I think for someone like you, who isn't in it for a hobby, but wants practical capability, the best bang for the buck for an HF receiver would be something like a Tecsun PL-380 (~$50). (or a Tecsun PL-310ET if you want to connect an external antenna)

Also, note that for things like HF radios, you will need a good quality power supply to power it (or a large capacity 13.8 volt battery, if you want to be operational in grid-down situations).    This means you will need to pay some attention to battery chargers too.

To summarize a bit:  The Baofengs are good for short range, tactical communications, and are easy to use.   HF is capable of longer range communications, but is not as simple to set-up and operate.   Receivers and especially scanners are good for gaining situational awareness.

Don't forget you will also need: RF connectors, wire, coax, power supply, power wire and connectors.  Read the ARRL Operating Manual and the owners manual of your radio hardware to figure out exactly what these will be.

Don't be too wary of the requirements to learn how things work; it really isn't that bad.   During the early days of radio, in the midst of the Great Depression, interested individuals were able to gain impressive skills just from scarce magazine articles and library books.   These days, invaluable information is available by the gigabyte, only a few keystrokes away, to read online, or have it delivered to your doorstep in the form of books and reference materials.    Take advantage of this now, unless you think this availability will continue forever.

View Quote

@VectorX

Thanks for the info! Is there one between $75-$150 that are a little better than the Tecsun or are they pretty much the same at those  lower price points?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@VectorX

Thanks for the info! Is there one between $75-$150 that are a little better than the Tecsun or are they pretty much the same at those  lower price points?
View Quote
@huntsman2448

Glad it was helpful.   Sure, Tecsun has a some other HF receivers, you can search Amazon for "Tecsun PL" and that should bring up most of them.  
The flagship model is the Tecsun PL-990 ~$270 and there is also the PL-880 ~$190 which has improved features and performance over the PL-380 and PL-310ET.  

I had highlighted the PL-380 and PL-310ET for those people who weren't really that interested in radios, but wanted to get some emergency capability at a minimal cost.   Their reviews indicate a very good bang-for-the-buck for a basic small HF receiver that apparently still has some excellent circuitry.

At the price level of the PL-990 I think you can also consider the Eton Elite and probably some similar higher end models from Sony and Grundig.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#38]
The fudds and leftists are already crying on Reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/kw9g1b/learning_antenna_theory_could_quash_5g_conspiracy/

Attachment Attached File

Some fun comments:  

Many will go online to their "militia"/seditionist groups and "prep" to use them outside the law to support and organize armed resistance to the government. Their aim is not to experiment and learn about radio, public service, or international goodwill.

What do you think they are all "prepping" for?
View Quote

Wait, isn't needing a license to use the air god gave Americans some kinda government overreach? What kinda patriot would go for that?
View Quote

Using your callsign during a insurrection sounds about right for this crowd. Cant even figure out to wear masks.
View Quote

Why not they already gave parler their driver's licenses, and some even gave their SSN (which is all been archived by a hacker and leaked). FBI and Homeland security will have a lot of fun listening to scanners and recording the callsigns of these idiots.
View Quote

Eww please no, the preppers are bad enough.
View Quote

I don't think the amateur radio community needs conspiracy theorists or more political opinions than it already currently has. Some of the rhetoric I hear on voice portion of the bands is dis-heartening. I enjoy listening or participating in CW discussions much more than voice, for the simple reason that politics doesn't seem to enter the conversation.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The fudds and leftists are already crying on Reddit,

View Quote

Let them cry.

Some of us are preparing to live in a world where the reality is that the chance of us being censured is greater than -0-. No more.

They're always going to find fault with everything we do. For the last months many of us have tried to build local communities, focus on being more self-reliant......you know, the things that you do when you're building a nation.....and they hate that. Because their vision is ultimately a bunch of cogs in one grand government wheel.

But none of this is news to anyone here, so let's ignore what 'they' are saying.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

greatquestion.jpg

There are such  things as a lightning arrestor. (Polyphaser being the one I have the most experience with.) They go between the antenna and radio. (Please note they are band specific. Also can be multi band. They also come in a host of different connectors.) But you'll need a grounding rod to hook them to.

They help. They aren't going to stop everything. But it's cheap insurance to at least try to keep your equipment and everything else safe.

Grounding can be a whole nother crazy subject. Bonding wires with grounding rods can be simple and hard depending on what you're doing. Big thing is to make sure there is a good corrosion free contact.

Also if you live someplace dry, don't forget to water your grounding rod. It needs a good electrical connection.

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/ppr-is-50ux-c0_oh_ml.jpg
View Quote

And lest anyone think they can just buy a magic "lightning arrestor" and it protect them, all a surge suppressor can do is divert energy to ground. It's entirely dependent on the quality of the ground connection as well as the attention to detail of the entire installation, to provide protection.

You can have the best antenna installation, surge suppression and grounding system in place, but if your radio is plugged into the wall on the other side of the building it's all for nothing.

As far as surge suppressors I recommend the ICE ones for HF antennas due to the DC drain. Big HF antennas pick up corona/static.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

first call in your log.
View Quote

What's this 'log' you guys speak of?

Apparently I haven't got that far in my ham study questions.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
first call in your log.

Most people keep a record of their contacts, at least HF ones, if it's not some net or daily roundtable or something like that.

Traditionally people would sometimes exchange postcards to confirm contacts, or the modern way is electronic confirmation, because people try to get awards for different places they contact etc. As an example a common award is the DX Century Club (DXCC), which is confirmed contacts with 100 different countries. Worked All Zones (WAZ) is confirmed contacts with all the ITU Zones, sometimes on a single band. Technical challenges.

People exchange cards for sentimental reasons also. I have a card from my first amateur radio contact with a neighbor and friend who is now deceased. I have a few cards from arfcommers, one who gave me a state I needed for Worked All States.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I highly disagree with that. I live in a valley where I can't even get FM or tv signals. I made myself a little repeater with two baofeng handhelds that when positioned in the mountains surrounding me, allow me to hit repeaters where I can talk around the world. For <$300 I basically created a solar powered repeater using two $20 baofengs that is now sitting under 5' of snow, still going strong, and allows me to text or send email to anyone on the planet without personally having email.

Right now, I'm working on my second iteration that uses a raspberry pi and will allow me to use this as a voice, aprs, and echolink repeater system. And, from the place I set it up on, with the wire antenna strung up in a tree, allows me to use these baofeng radios to contact the entire world because I can now hit repeaters as far away as 120 miles from where I am operating.

Sure, they aren't the best radios ever, but for 1/20th the price of kenwood handheld, they allow me to do things that were financially stupid in the past.

I know that this isn't some hightech, or professional level solution, but the 5 hams that live in my county, are now able to hit repeaters and participate in the nets of surrounding communities that we were never able to before.

Yes, these little baofengs are holding up great in rainstorms, and the feet of snow that has them no buried on an 8500' ridge. The only thing I had to do, was tilt the solar panel that powers them, not because it wasn't powering them, but to make the snow fall off easier.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/391359/20200827_171147_jpg-1771056.JPG

View Quote

@ThereBeDragoons

That is an awesome setup.  

Did you have an earlier post about how that was assembled?  
If you can point me toward more information about the components needed, I would appreciate it, as I would be interested in replicating it.

What is the little box connecting the two radios?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And lest anyone think they can just buy a magic "lightning arrestor" and it protect them, all a surge suppressor can do is divert energy to ground. It's entirely dependent on the quality of the ground connection as well as the attention to detail of the entire installation, to provide protection.

You can have the best antenna installation, surge suppression and grounding system in place, but if your radio is plugged into the wall on the other side of the building it's all for nothing.

As far as surge suppressors I recommend the ICE ones for HF antennas due to the DC drain. Big HF antennas pick up corona/static.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

greatquestion.jpg

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/ppr-is-50ux-c0_oh_ml.jpg

Good points as well, Gamma.

I've had one of my raspberry Pi's that was working as an ADSB receiver go all wonky due to a near by lightning strike.

It's crazy what they can do.

For those learning:
https://www.arrl.org/shop/Grounding-and-Bonding-for-the-Radio-Amateur
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#46]
First I confess I haven't read all 15 pages.

I have worked to cover most of the bases... armor, ammo etc. I  don't have the money for an expensive receive/transmit rig. I think if things go sideways, I would like to have a decent receiver in an effort to know what's happening (the movie Red Dawn keeps going thru my head).

I just ordered the GP-5 SSB radio off of County Comm. Seems to have good battery life (AA's) and small enough to grab and go. Would be interested if any one has opinion/experience with this radio?

I've purchased from County Comm before and was happy with their products. It's been 10 years since I ordered anything from them.

Anyway, thought it might be an option for some. I got spare telescoping antenna and a "ultimate" coil up shortwave antenna for $100. Used coupon GOV10 for 10% discount.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've had one of my raspberry Pi's that was working as an ADSB receiver go all wonky due to a near by lightning strike.

For those learning:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
greatquestion.jpg

For those learning:

Lighting produces EMP... essentially they are an EMP.

If you're close enough you get induced energy from the magnetic field around the strike also, unless you have magnetic shielding (this is why communications structures are often steel buildings, shipping containers are common).

Lots of electrical weirdness as the strike energy dissipates away from the point of impact also. If a tree in your yard takes a strike, the voltage differential inside the house wiring can be enough to cause damage.

You don't have to take a direct strike to have damage.

Quoted:
First I confess I haven't read all 15 pages.

I have worked to cover most of the bases... armor, ammo etc. I  don't have the money for an expensive receive/transmit rig. I think if things go sideways, I would like to have a decent receiver in an effort to know what's happening (the movie Red Dawn keeps going thru my head).

I just ordered the GP-5 SSB radio off of County Comm. Seems to have good battery life (AAA's) and small enough to grab and go. Would be interested if any one has opinion/experience with this radio?

I've purchased from County Comm before and was happy with their products. It's been 10 years since I ordered anything from them.

Anyway, thought it might be an option for some. I got spare telescoping antenna and a "ultimate" coil up shortwave antenna for $100. Used coupon GOV10 for 10% discount.

The GP-5 is a neat little radio, and if you're on foot hiding out in the middle of the woods, it would let you find something to listen to.

I think most will probably be better off with a computer-based SDR receiver that allows for a graphical interface and all the features of big dollar radios at an under $200 price.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And maybe some NON COMMIE Amazon links. Please.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I noticed 7 pages on this thread and no one really responded to this...

I've been hearing for years to get a BaofengUHF/VHF....

Now i'm hearing I need HF....

I litterally have no one to talk to....And I'm not planning to find a "group" any time soon.

I guess I'm toast when the ballon goes up.
View Quote

@Harv24
In your case, perhaps consider a HF receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 to gather news from other locations.  
There are also more expensive options, such as the Eton Elite or a Tecsun PL-990.

No need to talk, if you have no one to talk to, but information is critical.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Baofeng batteries are gonna have to be recharged too and any SHTF radios we have are gonna need power unless your just always running out of your mobile rig from your car.

I have a backup generator for emergencies myself. It won't run my whole house but it'll run my refrigerator, some lights and my radios and chargers. To run it long term I'm gonna need gas and that may be the one thing I don't have a big supply of.
View Quote
  Go solar.  Once you have the basic setup, it can give you power for years.   (Usually limited by the useful life of the batteries)  

Get some large panels, a charge controller, battery array, and don't forget an inverter, so you can power all the different chargers for different devices.   Solar panels have gotten quite affordable these days - get them while you can.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top