Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I really want one of these Single Six in .327 but I don't want to deal with another caliber even though I think it's a great option.
Attachment Attached File

https://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleSeven/specSheets/8163.html

Since you want a .357, they make a .357 Vaquero (that I may eventually get instead of the .327).
Attachment Attached File

https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/specSheets/5162.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/images/5161.jpg

Vaquero .357/9mm bundle

Can't find a price, It's some kind of exclusive with Lipseys?(Never heard of them) But this would be the route I would go for cheap plinking (maybe when 9mm comes back in stock), in addition to .357.
View Quote

Nice, thanks for bring to my attention
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ruger Vaquero is what you want. Old model if you can find any. Tough as nails.
View Quote

New Vaquero is slightly smaller, to be closer in spec to a SA Colt, I understand.

I have old Vaqs exclusively...Blackhawk frame based.  Close enough to cowboy for me, with more strength.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Uberti is what you seek.....
View Quote

I know nothing of this subject, why go this route over a Ruger
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I liked the Taylor’s and Company I just am not too familiar with the brand.

So whats the verdict on caliber? .357 or is the .45 way to go? I have other guns in .38 thats why I was thinking the .357.
View Quote

If you reload, .45 Colt all the things!

But if you want to shoot factory ammo, the .357 version is the better choice.

Factory .45 Colt ammunition is expensive even in the best of times.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Taylor & Co @ 40 feet

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta be a 45, the balance is all wrong on the smaller caliber SAA’s.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve had Vaquros, Ubertis, Blackhawks, and Colts.

Money not an issue? Colt SAA without question.

Otherwise, new model Vaquero.
The first generation Vaquero was more Blackhawk size, bulkier or beefier than a Colt. Great gun, just don’t feel like a Colt.
The current generation are much closer to Colt specs. I really like them.

The Uberti is a good gun, is a clone of the SAA, but I’ve had two and both had issues with the pawl. If I planned to shoot it a lot I would lean to the Vaquero over the Uberti.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im thinking about getting a single action revolver. I like under 4-5” barrel, case hardened, preferably.357 mag. Years ago I had a 44mag Ruger Vaquero old model I believe, and it was huge. Imo too big and I sold it off. My local gun store has a Cimmaron and also a Taylor’s and Company. Not sure who makes a good gun at a decent price. Not looking for $2000+ colts.  Wanted to try and stay $1k or under.
View Quote

Hard to go wrong with Ruger. The New Vaqueros are the smaller frame sizes as those Italian guns AFAIK, but you can safely carry 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Got one. Love it.

OP, don’t buy one of those boat anchor Rugers if you want a real SA. You can’t beat the feel and handling of a well balanced Colt clone.

Get a Cimarron, they have a gunsmith go through each gun before they sell it. He is a very experienced gentleman who I am proud to call a friend and neighbor.

I occasionally carry a 4 3/4” .45 just because I like to. Can’t beat it for making you smile. And for the record, I’ve never shot a Cowboy match...and never will either. Just love the guns. Do it.
View Quote

Yeah my old Vaquero was a damn boat anchor. I have big hands and that damn thing was heavy and not well balanced at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know nothing of this subject, why go this route over a Ruger
View Quote

Ubertis are replicas of cowboy guns.  Rutgers are sort of cowboy looking. Both function well.  It is just a matter of what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Joe Biden approves this purchase.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Taylor's and Cimarron are importers.   They primarily import revolvers from Uberti, who manufactures them in Italy.  They have higher overall quality standards than the normal Uberti production.
View Quote
This, plus they make additional modifications/improvements that are custom for their line. Taylor, for instance, has the "polished" version which is a trigger tune, and the short stroke to reduce hammer cock. Other mods like hammer mods and the like. Really nice stuff.

The thing to remember is that the new single actions are all four clicks. Meaning, they all have the built in floating firing pin that the poster above described. It adds some complexity. Purists seek out pre- versions. The floating pin can cause some failure to fires.

You can still get a few models that are traditional but getting harder and harder to find. Liability is a bitch.

And for OP, I have to try REALLLLLYYYYY hard to not go overboard with single actions. Just something about them.

And, .38 Special mouse fart reloads are fun.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the new vaquero in .45Colt/ACP convertible.

They also have it in .357/9mm

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah my old Vaquero was a damn boat anchor. I have big hands and that damn thing was heavy and not well balanced at all.
View Quote

Part of the problem with the old V balance is the XR3-Red gripframe shape which is different than the Colt shape or the Ruger XR3 style.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Taylor Schofield (top-break). Baller.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#17]
You can fix the floating firing pin issue with some JB weld.  But, then you need to load 1, skip one, load 4 and lower the hammer on the empty chamber.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Just get yourself an original, 1st-gen Colt SAA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Ruger Blackhawk is the gun you're looking for
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I liked the Taylor’s and Company I just am not too familiar with the brand.

So whats the verdict on caliber? .357 or is the .45 way to go? I have other guns in .38 thats why I was thinking the .357.
View Quote

Go with the .357.

I discount Ruger for being crude guns. I had wanted a Vaquero for the longest time until I put hands on one. It was what I have come to expect from all Ruger firearms. Solid guns, but not at all refined like some others. I don't know what was wrong with the gun, but the trigger was pretty crunchy. That was my only experience with a Ruger SA, but not their other firearms. It killed my want for one for several years until RDR2 came out.

I did my research on the imports and settled on Uberti. A lot of people liked the Pietta just fine, but more than a few reported on having to file the front sight. I didn't want to mess with that, so it cemented my decision for the Uberti.

My first was a nickel plated .45 Colt, followed by the El Patron in .357. My version of the EP is the compitition model with the lowered short throw hammer, and it is much more pleasant to manipulate than the first one. Both have been great guns.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Magnum Research BFR

Normally they are chambered in really powerful stuff like .454 Casull, .460 S&W, and 500 S&W but they can also be had in .357 Mag and .44 Mag.  They're insanely overbuilt for those cartridges.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:43:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Unconverted Ruger old model
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:36:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Magnum Research BFR

Normally they are chambered in really powerful stuff like .454 Casull, .460 S&W, and 500 S&W but they can also be had in .357 Mag and .44 Mag.  They're insanely overbuilt for those cartridges.
View Quote

Those versions come in 6 shot models now as well.

https://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr-big-frame-revolver/

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/images/5247.jpg
https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/5247.html

I wish this 5.5" barrel version had been out when I got the 0310 model with the 4 5/8" barrel - I think the 5.5" looks perfect.
View Quote

I want 1 but at this price
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Cimarron and Taylor's are pretty much the same (they are just importers), but make sure you get an Uberti-made one and not a Pietta.

I had a Ruger Blackhawk and it was too big/heavy for my liking and I sold it. The Uberti-made guns are a lot handier. I want one of the .38spl Colt 1851 conversions, since .38 is plenty for plinking and the 1851 conversions are more historically interesting to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I live in Florida. A Black Hawk in 45LC makes a great snake gun with CCI shotshells.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Ruger or magnum research.

You can NOT blow up either gun unlike the cheap clones.

If your a lefty single actions are da bomb.

Colt was a lefty and it's why the loading gate is on the right.
You never have to lose or adjust your grip on a single action pistol while reloading.

Great for a lefty unlike a da revolver with a swing out cylinder the flops out to the left.

I've had a dozen or so blackhawks curry have a 357 5.5 inch blued  and a 44 mag 5.5 inch stainless.

Both guns can be had new for well under 600 bux even today.

Got rid if a beater dumpster gun last Aug and picked up the 44 for 483.00 OTD NIB

Paid 380 back in the day for the 357 NIB

Most guys don't want to spend the time training to use a SA so they sit around the shops.

At 5.5 inches the blackhawks natural balance and point shoot possibly better then a original colt saw in 45 lc
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, as for caliber I suggest .45 colt or .44 special, as I don't enjoy the bark of .357.
The gun is a more complex question. I don't like SAA groove sights, so the Blackhawk is my preference. You say that the size bothers you, so I recommend a mid-frame Blackhawk, rather than the large like your old Vaquero. I just bought a mid-frame, flat top, Bisley in .44spl. Hopefully it will be here Friday or Saturday. This seems like the perfect compromise between classic looks and function.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ruger Vaquero is what you want. Old model if you can find any. Tough as nails.
View Quote

OP literally states he had one of these and got rid of it because it was too heavy. A .357 old model on the large frame would be even heavier.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Uberti
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Ruger .357 Mag Vaquero or Blackhawk and pair with a Marlin 1894C lever action in the same caliber.

(That is a beautiful rifle.)
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Sitting Bull supposedly carried a Schofield.

A man of refined tastes...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#33]
To kinda echo many other replies, if you want something a bit more historical, an Uberti El Patron is really nice. I had one in 45LC. Action felt great, good shooter, and just pretty to look at with the case hardening. If you go a little more modern, its tough to beat a Blackhawk. Built like absolute tanks, they just work. If a Colt is a scalpel, a Ruger is a hammer. I've always had one in some flavor in my safe and it's always an enjoyable change of pace to get one out and put a few through it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Ruger Blackhawk. Strong gun and Ruger CS is among the best in the rare occurrence you need anything.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I played with my dads Ubertis, they felt like cheap toys, I was just going to write off getting one until I picked up an OM Vaquero I like that its bigger it feels better in my hand. The New Vaqueros feel like the old Colts.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OP literally states he had one of these and got rid of it because it was too heavy. A .357 old model on the large frame would be even heavier.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#37]
LOL  OP specifically states "I like under 4-5” barrel, case hardened, preferably.357 mag. Years ago I had a 44mag Ruger Vaquero old model I believe, and it was huge. Imo too big and I sold it off." and folks start recommending a Blackhawk or old model Vaquero and .44/.45.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Go with the .357.

I discount Ruger for being crude guns. I had wanted a Vaquero for the longest time until I put hands on one. It was what I have come to expect from all Ruger firearms. Solid guns, but not at all refined like some others. I don't know what was wrong with the gun, but the trigger was pretty crunchy. That was my only experience with a Ruger SA, but not their other firearms. It killed my want for one for several years until RDR2 came out.

I did my research on the imports and settled on Uberti. A lot of people liked the Pietta just fine, but more than a few reported on having to file the front sight. I didn't want to mess with that, so it cemented my decision for the Uberti.

My first was a nickel plated .45 Colt, followed by the El Patron in .357. My version of the EP is the compitition model with the lowered short throw hammer, and it is much more pleasant to manipulate than the first one. Both have been great guns.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3003/20190201_224317_jpg-1754654.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3003/20190409_203818_jpg-1754655.JPG
View Quote

Damn. Both really nice guns. Maybe I need one of each?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Damn. Both really nice guns. Maybe I need one of each?
View Quote

So Get both?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
LOL  OP specifically states "I like under 4-5” barrel, case hardened, preferably.357 mag. Years ago I had a 44mag Ruger Vaquero old model I believe, and it was huge. Imo too big and I sold it off." and folks start recommending a Blackhawk or old model Vaquero and .44/.45.  
View Quote

Lol people like what they like. I don’t mind seeing other options that I may have written off. For this purchase I will probably be going with the Taylor’s Cattleman in charcoal blue /case hardened. Im leaning towards .45lc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So Get both?
View Quote

That is the arf way right? It says somewhere in the rules when faced with a difficult gun purchase decision, members must ask the group, and promptly buy both!

Hell yeah, got mah Trump check coming might as well!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#42]
OP, if you are going to go single action.

go muzzle loading.

my two newest SAO revolvers.. well one is mine. My wife wanted the shiny one

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have you considered buying a DA revolver and cocking the hammer back? Much more practical in the dual role of self defense. Put pear handle grips on it so you can feel like a cowboy.  
View Quote

Pearl handled grips?

Get ivory. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would have guns with pearl handles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I also love the 1875 Remington style.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#45]
OP where are you at in FL?  Not asking for an 8 digit grid, just a general idea.
I am on the panhandle between P'cola and FWB.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lol people like what they like. I don’t mind seeing other options that I may have written off. For this purchase I will probably be going with the Taylor’s Cattleman in charcoal blue /case hardened. Im leaning towards .45lc.
View Quote

I also have a cattleman in .45, but it's the plain blue/brass version. They are slick little guns. The trigger is fine from the factory, even with 3 clicks, instead of 4. You know they are limited to tier 2 loads, so don't get crazy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP where are you at in FL?  Not asking for an 8 digit grid, just a general idea.
I am on the panhandle between P'cola and FWB.
View Quote

Im in Central Florida. Orange City
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I also have a cattleman in .45, but it's the plain blue/brass version. They are slick little guns. The trigger is fine from the factory, even with 3 clicks, instead of 4. You know they are limited to tier 2 loads, so don't get crazy.
View Quote

Good to know. I do have a Lee single stage press , a few different powders and I think somewhere I have large pistol primers. I haven’t reloaded in years. I used to load some 44 special and .45 wcp.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#49]
These are currently in stock.  They sell out quick.

ACME Bullets
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Get a Blackhawk. Then send it to Turnbull.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top