Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
As a guy who owned beach front property in Panama...Ireland.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's ok. Probably better to leave it to little white girl backpackers and the rest of us
View Quote
I worked there for 5 years.  99.9% of gringos (all foreignes) - including expats - had their heads so deep in the sand... or up their ass.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Cornwall

Zero crime

You might get 6 maybe 7 warm days too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I worked there for 5 years.  99.9% of gringos (all foreignes) - including expats - had their heads so deep in the sand... or up their ass.
View Quote

That's nice. Too bad you didn't explore the whole country.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
@mayday

Chile has been on our radar for a while. How does the cost of living compare?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Croatia (throw in Montenegro and Serbia as well) is one of the nicest places I've visited in Europe, and I've been all over.  Crystal clear water, beautiful coastlines, friendly people, and low cost of living.  However, due to Russians buying up everything in sight, they have made foreign ownership of property more difficult.
View Quote

Serbia is great,

But unless you count the Danube it’s landlocked

There are lots of little island off Croatia, I stayed in a place call sipan ( spelling) was awesome property was cheap.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Texas, Florida,  one of the Carolinas , Mississippi

Plenty of options here in the US
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can I own and carry guns there?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, it isn't.  Nationwide murder rate is higher than Shitcago.  Costa Rica's is 10.6 per 100k and Shitcago's is 9.1.  US nation wide is 5 per 100k.

It's dangerous as fuck and getting worse.

Can I own and carry guns there?
lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's nice. Too bad you didn't explore the whole country.
View Quote
Like where didn't I?  Pacific side, central valley, Caribbean side, northern border, southern border.  Pretty much the whole place.  Lived with locals the whole time.

ETA:  5 years,

Try again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
If youre gonna buy somewhere, buy somewhere that you will truly own the land, like Monaco...

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2014/05/27/countries-with-no-property-taxes-really-home/
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Montenegro.  I wouldn't buy property outside of US or Europe.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess you need to define beach front.  Then you need to define safe.  Then you need to factor in incidental costs.

Do you define beach as sand beach, do shell beaches count?  How about bay front (some damn large bays out there).  How about cliffs without water access?  Does second row count if you can walk in 2 minutes - how about a 2 minute drive?

Costa Rica murder rate is not the problem.  The fact that theft is a national hobby is.  iirc squaters rights also kind of suck.  If you don't keep people off your land while you are gone, it does not take that many years till it is their land.  Do you need to factor in having the property destroyed by hurricanes?  

Incidental costs - having a foreign agent hold the title?  Punitive tax rates to foreign property owners?  Transportation?

Of course the reverse also holds true - can you put it in a rental pool to pay for holding costs?  What is the appreciation potential?
---
I kind of have a contract on a Texas beach front house (I would be a very silent partner-eventually).  First row, but dunes between house and surf.  There is the potential of a future dike between the house and the surf as well (that might fuck values or not - as it would protect the house a lot).  House is fairly new, but Ike erased 95% of the houses within 5 miles).  Advantage is it is day trip range, has decent upside appreciation potential, and currently is bringing in close to $80k annually in rent.  It would not make interest payments (it will have significant maintenance costs to stay at that rental value), but since it will largely be a cash purchase, it could have some cash flow to boot.  Anyway, Texas beachfront lots start at $300k ish.  Plus house.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If youre gonna buy somewhere, buy somewhere that you will truly own the land, like Monaco...

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2014/05/27/countries-with-no-property-taxes-really-home/
View Quote

You mean the place where a literal parking spot is half a million dollars? That place?

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interestingly, I am considering Panama.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would think Croatia (europe) and Panama (central) be among the best total values but probably not the cheapest.

Interestingly, I am considering Panama.

Pacific side only of course.

I lived in Panama as a kid wish I would have gone back when I got out of service...were I young again...I'd live there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like where didn't I?  Pacific side, central valley, Caribbean side, northern border, southern border.  Pretty much the whole place.  Lived with locals the whole time.

ETA:  5 years,

Try again.
View Quote

In the modern era?

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You mean the place where a literal parking spot is half a million dollars? That place?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta pay to play!  That's why Ill forever be in some land locked flyover shithole...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Australia?
New Zealand?
Japan?
Taiwan?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Costa Rica is really safe.

There are many more but my jam is CR.
View Quote
I rode from LAX to SEA with a United 737 Captain who had a bar in Costa Rica and a house. He paid for armed security at the bar and a full time live in housekeeper as they would steal the complete house if left without a guard. So I wouldn't plan on snowbirding there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Everywhere I look for a vacation home outside the U.S. with ocean front property seems to have a significant crime problem, particularly with regard to burglary and murder.

Either that or I have to look in the E.U., which is a total non-starter, because they will arrest you for saying mean things.

Is there anywhere? I'm starting to think there is not.
View Quote
Costa Rica
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Playas del Coco area in Costa Rica seems to have a huge population of ex-pats. That area is one of the faster growing regions and I believe a lot of foreigners are driving the growth. CR is safe, great country with tons of outdoor activities and people are cool as hell.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#21]
2014-2019.  Modern enough for you?

Talked to several Tico friends today.  One on the rural Caribbean side, one in the "greater San Jose metroplex" (sometimes lives in Cartago & sometimes in Alajuela), and one San Isidro del General (rural Pacific side).  All said that things are beyond desperate (crime, taxes, unemployment, businesses shuttered, shortages).   I'll talk to more tomorrow.

You know the Ministry of Public Security used to have a near realtime crime data website.  ICT had them take it down.  Wonder why?

You can believe all the sunshine on the Facebook expat groups and the tourist brochures.  Just like how "green" CR is.  My best expat buddy went to Columbia.  Safer, cheaper, less corrupt.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Greece?
View Quote

After the Muslim infestation?? Fuck that
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As a guy who owned beach front property in Panama...Ireland.
View Quote

When we visited Ireland, the people there were fantastic.  We stayed a week in several cities, driving ourselves across the country.  I don't know what property ownership would be like, but we loved it there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When we visited Ireland, the people there were fantastic.  We stayed a week in several cities, driving ourselves across the country.  I don't know what property ownership would be like, but we loved it there.
View Quote

As a foreigner you have full property rights and property is remarkably affordable. Plus, it’s not Panama.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would think Croatia (europe) and Panama (central) be among the best total values but probably not the cheapest.
View Quote

Dubrovnik is beautiful.

Don't know how safe it is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@mayday

Chile has been on our radar for a while. How does the cost of living compare?
View Quote

Capital, Santiago is pricey. Rest of country is like US; depends on where you live. But you can live were well -- for very little.

Here's a run of the mill beachfront condos:  

Viña Del Mar

https://www.century21global.com/property/san-antonio-valpara%C3%ADso-chile-C21123830302-USD

I, personally like the country side; looks like Swiss Alps due to the high mountains - Los Andes.  But tons of country homes, "Germanic" style for sale with land:  Single Family Home

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
2014-2019.  Modern enough for you?

Talked to several Tico friends today.  One on the rural Caribbean side, one in the "greater San Jose metroplex" (sometimes lives in Cartago & sometimes in Alajuela), and one San Isidro del General (rural Pacific side).  All said that things are beyond desperate (crime, taxes, unemployment, businesses shuttered, shortages).   I'll talk to more tomorrow.

You know the Ministry of Public Security used to have a near realtime crime data website.  ICT had them take it down.  Wonder why?

You can believe all the sunshine on the Facebook expat groups and the tourist brochures.  Just like how "green" CR is.  My best expat buddy went to Columbia.  Safer, cheaper, less corrupt.  

View Quote

I have a lot of friends in Colombia. The listings online for what I want are absurdly expensive. They tell me you can come there and get it for less, but it would have to be a LOT less. It's not about what I can afford, it's about not paying stupid prices for something that's not worth it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Uhm....Chile. Zero crime. Solid Economy. Super awesome folks and its a mirror image of California coasts. I have family there and go every couple years; its like going to Europe.

Below is Viña del Mar, where seafood is cheap and world class, along with beer and nice living.

https://www.touropia.com/gfx/b/2016/12/Vina_del_mar.jpg

https://ecelaspanish.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Vina-Del-Mar-Destination-1024x680.jpg

https://strapi-images-prod.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vina-del-mar-chile-shutterstock_1095170075_d115bcc1d4.jpeg
View Quote

DAMN dude, never been there, never thought about going there,  it looks amazing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd be very interested in finding a place with beachfront property that grants immortality.

In.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#30]
This island could be had fairly cheap if you bring a fire team and remove the inhabiting tribe first...

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Mrs Laydowns step brother had a nice thing going in Chile. Successful business and a comfortable life as a 30 something expat bachelor.

Then he met and married the high maintenance daughter of a wealthy Panamanian family. Now they split time between Panama and So Cal. He'd sell out and move back to Chile tomorrow if he had his way...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#32]
You do know that in the vast majority of places outside of the USA, you are NOT going to have many or ANY gun rights, right? Yea, some places you can own a gun for target shooting or maybe go hunting, but it takes time, money, visits to the police and a lot of red-tape and waiting. You can mostly kiss your AR and handguns goodbye, and you're certainly not going to be carrying anything around for self defense. These type threads often get started, and for the life of me I can't figure out why most of you staunch 2nd Amend guys would consider such places. To top it off, you guys always name places that are 3rd world places with crime rates that make big Blue USA cities look tame. South America, Central America, Belize, Phillipines, Jamaica, Caribbeans, India, etc? Are you kidding me?? Don't know much about Croatia except that the surrounding area with Bosnia have had purging, civil wars, & unrest not so long ago.  I'd study the history of the area damn carefully before spending any good money on real estate there.  

So then where would I go? If I'm going to lose my gun rights and my USA Bill Of Rights, I might want to choose a place where the people act civilized for Christs Sakes so I don't feel like I need to arm myself just to survive. A lot of such places have educated citizens who also speak English along with their own native language, which is a plus too. Yea, Ireland sounds as good as many other  civilized Western Culture places if I must relinquish my gun rights. But why stop there..... how about Spain, Portugal, Canada, etc, etc.? Japan has islands too, and an extremely low crime rate. Japanese people won't even keep stuff that they find in the street.... it goes straight to the town lost & found department. But, you get drunk and resist arrest there, you will spend 3 years in a  jail cell.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#33]
If I didn’t already own property here, I’d look closely at south-European countries like Greece, Croatia etc.

My parents recently retired to France, in the middle of a wine district. It’s pretty damn nice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Belize. Ambergris Kaye. Even speak English. Foreigners can actually own land through a quitclaim land deed. Decent constitution. Can get a handgun permit. very little tax burden. Cheap labor for building. relatively cheap cost of living.

I will be buying land there within the next year or so.

Almost invested in a rental property there last year, but with everything going on and lock downs, me and my wife decided to go into a 5 year plan for permanent relocation. Its why we sold out off grid property and cabin in Idaho last year, and are currently in KS. Steps towards reaching our 5 year goal.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like Monaco. It's fantastic, one of the few places I actually like going to.

To visit.

When someone else is paying for EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:22:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Spain is having a fire sale right now. You might not die, but the eventual taxes might get sporty.

Thailand is the answer you seek, if you're looking for investment.
The $$$ flowing in is absolutely nuts, and the numbers of expats settling in is going to explode as soon as the Covid bullshit settles down.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#37]
The real question is what country is great to retire and still have the ability to own firearms
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Murder rate per capita is 3x that of the US. Taxes are insane and forget "affordable" cars.    Residency is difficult unless you are rich.  Property has to be guarded 24/7.  Most expensive country in Central America.  Unemployment hitting 50%.  Pandemic restrictions have destroyed the economy and tourism, which is the same thing.  Energy costs are insane.

Imagine California but fucked up to the 100th power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Murder rate per capita is 3x that of the US. Taxes are insane and forget "affordable" cars.    Residency is difficult unless you are rich.  Property has to be guarded 24/7.  Most expensive country in Central America.  Unemployment hitting 50%.  Pandemic restrictions have destroyed the economy and tourism, which is the same thing.  Energy costs are insane.

Imagine California but fucked up to the 100th power.

I was going to say the same.

The days of Costa rica  being a ex-pat paradise are over. You can still live there reasonably safe but you'll be in a walled enclave. I'd take Roatán HO over CR.  

Not sure how accurate this is but here's some data...remember, all of these web sites are trying to sell you something.

A retired couple can expect to spend about $2,000 to $2,500 a month for all their needs on Roatán.

Let’s start with housing. Rents start at about $500 a month for an apartment or condo within walking distance of the beach. You’ll pay around $800 to $1,000 for something right on the water. Homes—two or three bedrooms—with views or close to the beach will run you $1,000 and up. These prices are for long-term arrangements generally, where you’ll sign a lease of three months or more.

If you’re renting short term, rates will generally be higher during the “high season” (December to April) . Also because of limited housing stock it can be hard to find a rental, especially during high season. It’s best to find and reserve something as early as possible.

Renting or buying a home in such a beautiful location in Roatán is a fraction of what you pay in North America or other Caribbean islands. But the lower cost of living is seen in your everyday expenses, too. Local restaurants offer delicious and filling meals for around $6 a plate. Beers are $2.

But this is an island, and everything is imported. So you won’t find bargain prices on these items. Expect to pay U.S. prices for staples at the grocery store. Also, top quality fresh fruits and vegetables (at least what isn’t growing on your property), though cheap at local markets, are more difficult to come by.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The real question is what country is great to retire and still have the ability to own firearms
View Quote

That's what I want to know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Otisburg.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#41]
You cannot OWN beachfront land in Costa Rica. It is illegal for anyone to do so. Any land within 200 meters is leased for up to 20 years.

Look up concessions in the maritime zone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Costa Rica?  When I was last there, it was a bunch of American Ex-pats and retired people.
View Quote

This is what I heard also.  My sister and BIL have a plan to move there after he retires from the State

I wouldn't mind living there, Tanzania or Namibia
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Puerto Rico.
The Shining Star of the Caribbean.
Is part of the US.
Gun friendly law.
Good weather all year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Bahamas.  You can get permanent residency status just by buying $500,000 in real estate.  That's on the beach in a lot of the out islands.

And, you can get there in a boat, when things go to hell.

Firearms are a little tricky.  You can keep them on your boat, with a cruising permit, but not in your house.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Puerto Rico.
The Shining Star of the Caribbean.
Is part of the US.
Gun friendly law.
Good weather all year.
View Quote

No federal income tax
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I know a place.  Full gun rights. No income tax. Pretty women. 78 degree avg temps.  Waterfront/canal front home about 400k. CC permits easy to obtain. 350 days a year of sunshine...

The place you seek already exists.  It’s called the West Coast of Florida.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Mehico
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#48]
FL
Lots of options on Gulf or Atlantic.
And be able to own and carry handguns.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I know a place.  Full gun rights. No income tax. Pretty women. 78 degree avg temps.  Waterfront/canal front home about 400k. CC permits easy to obtain. 350 days a year of sunshine...

The place you seek already exists.  It’s called the West Coast of Florida.
View Quote

My next stop in life
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm about to sell a rental house.  In.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top