Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Space Naomi!  20 minutes of her whining.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember that scene in Season 1, either first or second episode, when the crewmember from the lifeboat is sitting in the Martian vessel and takes a projectile round to the head?  Yeah, I wish that was Naomi.  So much whining.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remember that scene in Season 1, either first or second episode, when the crewmember from the lifeboat is sitting in the Martian vessel and takes a projectile round to the head?  Yeah, I wish that was Naomi.  So much whining.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pop-culturalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/expanseShed.gif

Yes!  No more whining from that crew member.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]

That was one hell of a scene.

I remember thinking when I saw it. "Huh, they really are going for 'realistic' space combat."

I wish someone would upload the scene shortly before this where the Martians do their interrogation. But I suppose that might get flagged by YouTube for 'drug use.'
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No formal education, I am sure they are very competent at their small slice, but you are absolutely correct they aren't inventing the Epstein drive, but if you give them one they will be redneck engineering it onto the Apollo capsule.
View Quote

Not entirely true. The book talks about Naomi taking and killing online engineering classes when she was a teenager. There are online Universities for belters, many of them are Doctors or engineers.

Tycho was designed and built by belters , as was the Behemoth, the largest spaceship ever built, in Tychos shipyard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not entirely true. The book talks about Naomi taking and killing online engineering classes when she was a teenager. There are online Universities for belters, many of them are Doctors or engineers.

Tycho was designed and built by belters , as was the Behemoth, the largest spaceship ever built, in Tychos shipyard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No formal education, I am sure they are very competent at their small slice, but you are absolutely correct they aren't inventing the Epstein drive, but if you give them one they will be redneck engineering it onto the Apollo capsule.

The Behemoth was a mormon colony ship.  The belters just stole it and renamed it.   Spin the drum!

Edited bc I spelled mormon as.moron.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Behemoth was a mormon colony ship.  The belters just stole it and renamed it.   Spin the drum!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mormons contracted Tycho to build the Navoo (Behemoth).
So...belter built.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i miss this hot chica.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/expanse/images/9/98/Julie_Mao.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150712224254

the only "eye candy" left is the reporter.

bobby is a man, drummer is a lez. cursing old lady is old.
View Quote

Who?  Pic no coming through.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Commissioned by the Mormans. Built by Belters at Tycho, commandeered by Fred Johnson before the Mormans took possession.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Belter family soap opera isn't what I was hoping for this season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This season has been very disappointing.

Not a fan of it either

Belter family soap opera isn't what I was hoping for this season.

Yeah, really boring and nothing but drama. Kind of amazing that they can make a season based around the events towards the beginning of the season so damn boring. Horrible compared to the interesting space and alien stuff from earlier seasons. We're already 7 episodes in out of 10 and it feels like they could have fit everything that happened into three episodes or so if they would have just cut out even half of Naomi's crying.

Click To View Spoiler

So much potential as a character, good acting, but I can't decide if she's more of a liability to the crew or to the audience's enjoyment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I put slaves in a factory would they learn mechanical engineering? Or if I made them sit in a car mechanics bay their whole lives? Or if I made them make work for Apple in China, acting as slave labor?

They know what they know because it is their surroundings but lack deep understanding. They can swap a Coyote motor into a 53 Dodge and pull off the suspension from an 18 wheeler and throw it under the same car easy enough but making systems or designing engines themselves isn't in their repertoire.
View Quote

If you know any real rednecks you wouldn't disparage space rednecks. Real rednecks know how make shit work because they live with it know the real world parts and bolts. I imagine space rednecks aren't as dumb as you think
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it is discussed in the books, but Tycho is an Earth Corp. Did belters actually design Tycho station and the Behemoth?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#14]
This season sucks.  Last season wasn’t a winner really either.  Tired of family drama in space.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe it is discussed in the books, but Tycho is an Earth Corp. Did belters actually design Tycho station and the Behemoth?
View Quote

It's talked about in the books. Belters were cheap labor on tycho. All the management and damn near all the technical folks are "inners" with some token belters in management/design. It's one of the reason the belters were able to have a revolt against fred. Even with all fred did to pretend he was a belter, he wasn't a retarded businessman; inners held the most important jobs.

Like I said, belters are a permanently agreeved, "dindu" class.

Tyco, ceres, eros, ganymede, etc. all the big and successful stations/habitations were started by and ran by either earth or mars.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The technical wizards of Sol System are the Martians, and the MCRN is the most technologically advanced and sophisticated space force.

Earth is not far behind Mars, but at the start of the series had "pretty good" tech available in much larger numbers than the MCRN. Earth is capable of matching Martian tech, or nearly so, if they really try - as evidenced by the Mao-Kwikowski/Protogen "stealth ships"

The belters are plucky and capable - lots of Ph.D. level talent, but mostly at operational and maintenance jobs, and far more adaptable and resourceful than inners, because they have access to effectively unlimited raw materials, but not a lot of heavy industry equipment or big bases where they get to run things.

Most of the repair and construction crews on Tycho are belters, who can do truly marvelous things with Earth or Mars tech when they get the opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#17]
As previously mentioned, this season sucks. Nothing is getting accomplished just following Amos around and watching Naomi cry. It feels so small in scale compared to previous seasons, and boring as hell.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm watching Season 5, Episode 7 right now. I feel Iike I'm watching a Hallmark Channel drama. This fucking blows.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It feels so small in scale compared to previous seasons, and boring as hell.
View Quote

Except for raining stealth rocks down on earth, I agree.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm watching Season 5, Episode 7 right now. I feel Iike I'm watching a Hallmark Channel drama. This fucking blows.
View Quote

I had heard they were canning it after season 6 wraps. Starting to think that's not a bad thing based on how this season is going...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Somebody with a sharp eye noticed that one of the Zmeya's torpedoes had a blue drive plume and broke formation from the spiral torpedo salvo.  Go to 4:19

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now I'll never get to watch the entire series since I canceled prime.

Still waiting on the final book.
View Quote

Well, you could always take a trip on a sailing ship...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Eeshhh that episode was really bad.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#24]
i dont understand the gamble. surely they can just blast naomis ship into bits?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Episode 8 is up early!

Edit: Well crap...don't let the beginning with Amos and Peaches fool you.  It's mostly Naomi.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Eeshhh that episode was really bad.
View Quote

Only watched the first 1/3 so far.  Totally lost interest.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Episode 8 is up early!

Edit: Well crap...don't let the beginning with Amos and Peaches fool you.  It's mostly Naomi.
View Quote

Yep, this show is now the ethnic girl power hour.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#28]
booooorrrrinnnnnnnnnnggg.

just fucking save naomi already or kill her.

cant stand her arch
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep, this show is now the ethnic girl power hour.
View Quote

Kinda felt like the scene where Naomi playing with wires could have been done in 1/10th the time.  Also limited CGI space battles this season.  Feels like their budget is a fraction of what it was for season 1-3 when there were on Syfy.  I just remember tons of space battle scenes, Eros and Ceres with tons of sets and extras on hand....

Its like this season is being made entirely with the budget leftovers of season 4

fucking Bezos
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Just finished episode 8.

What a horrible season this was.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Think I'm done,  This season sucks ass.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't have quite the hate for Naomi that some of you do,  but half an hour of her whining, crying,  gasping, and sobbing in an episode is at least 28 minutes too much.  Especially when there's a story then can be told about Amos and Peaches trying to get to Baltimore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I put slaves in a factory would they learn mechanical engineering? Or if I made them sit in a car mechanics bay their whole lives? Or if I made them make work for Apple in China, acting as slave labor?

They know what they know because it is their surroundings but lack deep understanding. They can swap a Coyote motor into a 53 Dodge and pull off the suspension from an 18 wheeler and throw it under the same car easy enough but making systems or designing engines themselves isn't in their repertoire.

The epstien drive was discovered by accident, there was a flashback short story about it. basically guy figured that if his new drive design worked (more thrust from same fuel) he would run out of fuel in like 10 minutes and call for a tow. only he was wrong and his fuel rate was a fraction of what was expected but he was still accelerating at something like 4 g's couldn't shut it off because the thrust was so bad he couldn't leave his chair. the short story of it is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't have quite the hate for Naomi that some of you do,  but half an hour of her whining, crying,  gasping, and sobbing in an episode is at least 28 minutes too much.  Especially when there's a story then can be told about Amos and Peaches trying to get to Baltimore.
View Quote

Totally agree with you on Naomi and the 28 min sob session.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watching this episode was misery.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#36]
So you have a gunship a friend with a huge ship and access to hundred or worlds...... hmmmm what should we do?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#37]
This season is moving a lot more slowly than I was hoping.  There's an entire war going out there and we've dedicated almost two full episodes to Naomi crying, whining, wheezing, gasping, and bleeding.  I don't hate her character, but FFS show someone else doing something else for a change.  We get it, her situation sucks.  Move on, please.  More space ships being destroyed.  More belter politics playing out in real time.  More Earth alliance regrouping and shifting loyalties.  More Duarte gathering his forces for their break through the ring.  More of literally anything at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't HATE her.  Disliked mostly, because she's always whining about something.  But was tolerable.  

However, It's not been 28 minutes.  It's been damn near a whole season outside of a few barely fleshed out side stories.  

If I hear "Phiiiiwwwhip" one more time I might shoot the damn TV.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I didn't HATE her.  Disliked mostly, because she's always whining about something.  But was tolerable.  

However, It's not been 28 minutes.  It's been damn near a whole season outside of a few barely fleshed out side stories.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 28 minutes was just in reference to the latest episode,  but I get what you mean.  This last episode eased painful to watch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#40]
8 episodes to get where they would have been in 3 or 4 tops in any of the previous seasons.
Ugh, this is painful, and doesn't leave me much enthusiasm for the remaining 2.... or next season.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Peaches will clean up pretty good. 50% chance we'll get to see her goodies.
View Quote

That would be the only thing we have a chance of getting that would somewhat redeem this season.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#42]
This season started off so well, but man it's been a grind the last 4 episodes. I keep waiting for them to pick up the pace, but it's just drag, drag, drag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#43]
The youtube podcast was far more better than the last episode. Had both book writers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn how did I miss this topic?  I had prime during December.  I will not ever pay for it again under any circumstances, though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Totally agree with you on Naomi and the 28 min sob session.
View Quote

They should have used a short snippet of Naomi desperately working on the ship in between each of the other scenes, and cut it down to only about 5-10 minutes total.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That would be the only thing we have a chance of getting that would somewhat redeem this season.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peaches will clean up pretty good. 50% chance we'll get to see her goodies.

Ya just suffered through this latest shitty episode and can't disagree.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't know how else they would have displayed her stuff any better.
The book obviously was better for this part where she is in pain, dehydrated and has cracked skin and blistering all over due to her space exposure.
It is hard to "see" this without being able to "hear" her thoughts on it.

obviously they had to cut short the whole working on stuff thing, and I think they edited it poorly.
What it didn't really show well till the end was her trying to find the right wire to cut to stop the transmission and be able to change the message.
That was why she went in and out so many times.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As previously mentioned, this season sucks. Nothing is getting accomplished just following Amos around and watching Naomi cry. It feels so small in scale compared to previous seasons, and boring as hell.
View Quote

I’d prefer to see more of Amos, Peaches, and Stumpy in the aftermath than I would of Naomi whining.  Episode 8 was a veritable dumpster fire and dampened my enthusiasm for the series greatly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't know how else they would have displayed her stuff any better.
The book obviously was better for this part where she is in pain, dehydrated and has cracked skin and blistering all over due to her space exposure.
It is hard to "see" this without being able to "hear" her thoughts on it.

obviously they had to cut short the whole working on stuff thing, and I think they edited it poorly.
What it didn't really show well till the end was her trying to find the right wire to cut to stop the transmission and be able to change the message.
That was why she went in and out so many times.

View Quote

I understand marco completely now. If I had to be around Naomi any amount of time I would lose faith in humanity and want to be a terrorist to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’d prefer to see more of Amos, Peaches, and Stumpy in the aftermath than I would of Naomi whining.  Episode 7 was a veritable dumpster fire and dampened my enthusiasm for the series greatly.
View Quote

yep., Amos and peaches was pretty much the only part of that episode that didn't suck.

they get stuck insisting upon points we easily understood. yeah, she's f'd up from the little space walk, yeah the ships gonna explode, yeah she's trying to stop that. you can show that in 10 minuets.

they did the same thing the last episode, where they repeted, to great lengths time after time the fat belter helped marcos hide naomi's son from her. fuck, we heard it the first slow conversation, we don't need to know 3 more times.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top