User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BURN:

Yes...

but I actually am getting the black and orange scaled one.
View Quote

Oh right on, the Johnny Red is my favorite style, looked multiple days seeing if any were in stock couldn't find it. I actually didn't think they made it anymore till I found it after your post. I really want one but not sure between the talon and shrike.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

Damn that looks good! Got a thread or just wing it?
View Quote

This isn’t my first foray into winging it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
there is too much information describing each of these fine hawks and blades. that is all
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
From another thread, may have been posted...

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
Beaver Bill Hammer Poll and Scalping Knife

https://live.staticflickr.com/7789/18104137201_6b722a09ba_b.jpg
View Quote

Badass
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My spyderco genzow showed up today

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SolidState:

Oh right on, the Johnny Red is my favorite style, looked multiple days seeing if any were in stock couldn't find it. I actually didn't think they made it anymore till I found it after your post. I really want one but not sure between the talon and shrike.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes...

Talon has more reach and is balanced great...either way is good to go...knifecenter has them in stock as of this afternoon
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Nice. To me, that's like the perfect hawk. I've been looking at that B.B. Hammer Poll for close to a year now. I should stop dicking around and just buy it already.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BlackNoSugar:

Nice. To me, that's like the perfect hawk. I've been looking at that B.B. Hammer Poll for close to a year now. I should stop dicking around and just buy it already.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackNoSugar:

@BlackNoSugar Consider these Camp Hawks as well!
http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes

Here is an excellent review of one (and a solid tomahawk masterclass!)-
H and B Forge medium camp hawk
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

@BlackNoSugar Consider these Camp Hawks as well!
http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes

Here is an excellent review of one (and a solid tomahawk masterclass!)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTl-LsDmyqk
View Quote

Thanks for the heads-up. Actually, I've looked at them also. I was looking for more of a poll hawk, as opposed to camp style.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cav-Gunner:

I'm with you, thanks to this thread and the Election thread ... I've gone from having one SOG Fasthawk to adding a CRKT Nobo, a Missouri River (Cabela's gift card - face took a lot of filing), and mod'ing an old roofer's hatchet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
Before this thread I had zero hawks. Shopping for my 3rd through 5th right now

I'm with you, thanks to this thread and the Election thread ... I've gone from having one SOG Fasthawk to adding a CRKT Nobo, a Missouri River (Cabela's gift card - face took a lot of filing), and mod'ing an old roofer's hatchet.

I went from relying on my trusty camp hatchet to having an actual hawk, and now I'm shopping for a good tricorn hat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:

I went from relying on my trusty camp hatchet to having an actual hawk, and now I'm shopping for a good tricorn hat.
View Quote

I did this very thing a couple of weeks ago.  I did not have much luck. There are cheap ones, and ridiculously expensive ones.  I’m Willing to pay $100 for a good one, but nothing was looking all right.  Want something a patriot would have worn in Lexington.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frost7] [#13]

Aren't you worried about getting blood and brains all up in that paracord?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Micke:
Bump for mod ideas.

m48 double

greyman mods

https://i.imgur.com/CpsVwuK.jpg">[url]https://i.imgur.com/CpsVwuK.jpg

Aren't you worried about getting blood and brains all up in that paracord?

LOL, this happened with my Shrike after killing that psychotic wildcat that attacked me with it. Paracord was right soaked in blood. Washed and soaked it several times and it barely helped, the whole damn thing stank up whatever room it was in with the smell of blood constantly. Finally just cut it loose, threw it away, and took the time to wrap up a fresh loop on it.

My Shrike before I went to urgent care to get my hand bandaged up and get $13K in rabies vaccinations and immunoglobulin. Some of that was probably mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Frost7:

LOL, this happened with my Shrike after killing that psychotic wildcat that attacked me with it. Paracord was right soaked in blood. Washed and soaked it several times and it barely helped, the whole damn thing stank up whatever room it was in with the smell of blood constantly. Finally just cut it loose, threw it away, and took the time to wrap up a fresh loop on it.

My Shrike before I went to urgent care to get my hand bandaged up and get $13K in rabies vaccinations and immunoglobulin. Some of that was probably mine:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99075/IMG_8012_jpeg-1791201.JPG
View Quote

That’s so metal
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:24:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#15]

Was yours dull when you got it? I was hoping for razor sharp, but came almost butter knife sharp. Been working on it with ceramic rods and its getting close to razor, just kind of annoying for a $600 tomahawk, the jenny wren just needed a little touch up to shave.

Also wish I got those handles, sculpted maple is really nice, and grippy otherwise, but is too narrow and sharp edged for swinging it, creates multiple Hotspot.

The Winklers are HEAVY, one thing though when you swing it it has the feeling it will go through anything. I did figure out why the lighter shorter hawks are for fighting, the Winkler is a lot slower, I could see a person having difficulty staying neutrally balanced after swinging it hard. The Jenny Wren still feels like it will split your skull, but is much more maneuverable and quick. Going to get that feather kestrel blackout they on sale now next.
View Quote

@SolidState

Ive had two and both have come not so sharp from Winkler. The points have always been really pointy though. My newest seemed a little better but you arent going to shave with it.

I just figured since its a choppy instrument they left it with a thicker edge so it wont roll.

What rods are you using? Ive been wondering what I could use to touch them up when it comes to it
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Frost7:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99075/IMG_8012_jpeg-1791201.JPG
View Quote

@Frost7 Holy shit, you have a confirmed kill with a hawk? I think we need more story!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By daveo:
From another thread, may have been posted...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160435/99C4C1A7-DC08-46D3-B570-CEEEA45C4C9D_jpe-1790728.jpg
View Quote

Thats beautiful
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TobyLazur] [#18]

Here are my two from cold steel.

I took out the set screw, how do I make the friction fit no constantly come loose?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By chase45:

@SolidState

Ive had two and both have come not so sharp from Winkler. The points have always been really pointy though. My newest seemed a little better but you arent going to shave with it.

I just figured since its a choppy instrument they left it with a thicker edge so it wont roll.

What rods are you using? Ive been wondering what I could use to touch them up when it comes to it
View Quote

The points are really pointy lol, I thought the same thing. And also about the edge, I figured it was on purpose considering the grind and craftsmanship they put into it otherwise.

The way I sharpen knives I wouldn't recommend it because I've more or less gone rogue and I need to get a proper sharpening system. I have that tri-angle sharpener but I rest the little stone on my leg and sharpen by hand. I went through the diamond, coarse, and fine repeatedly till I felt/heard an angle thats getting to an edge. The winkler seems steep but it's hard to tell angles with the axe head length. It cuts hair now pretty easily, probably needs a couple more fidget sessions, but a little too wide to slice well.

I'm not sure the proper way to sharpen axes/hawks, I know the jenny was pretty easy just with a fine ceramic rod to get razor sharp.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
I took out the set screw, how do I make the friction fit no constantly come loose?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Sixtigers:
Take the hex screw out and throw it away.

Take a Dremel with a sanding drum and bevel the top shaft hole.  It doesn’t seem like there’s a burr on there, but there is.  Don’t have to get crazy—usually takes me about a minute. Night and day difference.

Also...I cheat a little.  I have a HF hydraulic press.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By chase45:

Thats beautiful
View Quote

I thought so too!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#22]
https://i.imgur.com/Rf3aNQu.jpg

Here are my two from cold steel.

View Quote

Bevel the inside of the head so it doesn't gouge the handle and then file/sand out the gouges in the handle. My head now slips about 1/4" further on the shaft than before.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Yes...

View All Quotes
I had one of the first runs of these 19 years ago and lost it when hunting in the woods.

Finally ordered its replacement today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3064/talon_jpg-1790302.JPG

RMJ forge Eagle Talon.

Is that Johnny Red?

Yes...

Well did not get the order changed so I am getting the Johnny Red but I like the color scheme so I am happy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I guess it's a T15. I tried drilling out one (no-go), removed the screw from 3, and had this happen.
Attachment Attached File

I also need to get a file to bevel the head and some sandpaper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess this head is staying on for now. At least it's actually tight.
I cleaned up the peels, cut it to 14" OAL and wrapped it with grip tape. This feels pretty handy. Blade guard is staying on until I pick up something else. Any recommendations? I need 5 Trail Hawks and 1 Pioneer Hawk.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackwind] [#26]

Was yours dull when you got it? I was hoping for razor sharp, but came almost butter knife sharp. Been working on it with ceramic rods and its getting close to razor, just kind of annoying for a $600 tomahawk, the jenny wren just needed a little touch up to shave.

Also wish I got those handles, sculpted maple is really nice, and grippy otherwise, but is too narrow and sharp edged for swinging it, creates multiple Hotspot.

The Winklers are HEAVY, one thing though when you swing it it has the feeling it will go through anything. I did figure out why the lighter shorter hawks are for fighting, the Winkler is a lot slower, I could see a person having difficulty staying neutrally balanced after swinging it hard. The Jenny Wren still feels like it will split your skull, but is much more maneuverable and quick. Going to get that feather kestrel blackout they on sale now next.
View Quote
Hmm where to begin, no, mine was sharp out of the packaging. Winkler has/had no idea my background I am sure, all he knew at the time (2010) was I wanted it prior to a backpacking trip to Alaska. It has been everywhere. Afghanistan, and beyond. I requested nor inferred any special treatment and his organization delivered. The wood handle, like any wood, has taken a beating and I intend in replacing with textured G10 handles.

At the end of the day this is not a ......work axe. It has a stand in for "in between work." I find it more than acceptable for its intended purpose. It is NOT heavy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#27]

I did this very thing a couple of weeks ago.  I did not have much luck. There are cheap ones, and ridiculously expensive ones.  I'm Willing to pay $100 for a good one, but nothing was looking all right.  Want something a patriot would have worn in Lexington.
View All Quotes

I did this very thing a couple of weeks ago.  I did not have much luck. There are cheap ones, and ridiculously expensive ones.  I'm Willing to pay $100 for a good one, but nothing was looking all right.  Want something a patriot would have worn in Lexington.

I'mma tell you a secret. Don't let it out. Go to a western store where they have unshaped Stetsons and such. They're round crowned, flat brimmed hats that are meant to be shaped into traditional cowboy shape. Have them steam the brim into the tricorn and you're done. Still not stupid cheap, but you might land one for the $50 or so range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
Well, I guess it's a T15. I tried drilling out one (no-go), removed the screw from 3, and had this happen.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/516916/IMG_20210122_194630351_jpg-1792216.JPG

I also need to get a file to bevel the head and some sandpaper.
View Quote
It'll drill out.
Mine was cross threaded on arrival.
I'm gonna take some leather and wrap below the head. I've been using mine throwing.
Chip an edge hitting another hawk but oh well..Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I <3 this thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Does anyone know of US or Scandinavian made "Viking Hatchets or Axes" that are being made today, that look movie prop cool, but are the real, heavy duty, "could weather and serve in the wilderness" variety?
View Quote
Maybe here
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got a baton holder for one of my gunbelts
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Does anyone know of US or Scandinavian made "Viking Hatchets or Axes" that are being made today, that look movie prop cool, but are the real, heavy duty, "could weather and serve in the wilderness" variety?
View Quote

Why not cold steel? Sand and add a patina to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By VintageSmoker:

https://i.imgur.com/SODVmAV.jpg
View Quote
I.D?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By feudist:
I.D?
View Quote

RMJ Jenny Wren
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I.D?
View All Quotes

I.D?

Sanders Forge, with a Bernie dongle
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#40]
@chase45

Just for You.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#41]
@chase45

Just for You.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3064/hawks__2__jpg-1798517.JPG
View Quote

Is the second one down a brother vec hawk handle?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dodge223:
@chase45

Just for You.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3064/hawks__2__jpg-1798517.JPG

Craig Barr Damascus Hawk head with Equinox Coronado 30" haft (Yes Vec)
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I know I asked this, but kind of confused about what to do with the Winkler combat axe.

It showed up dull, you can slide your finger across it and it won't cut you. I thought I was doing well getting an edge on it but the bevel is too fat and there's a lot of material to take off to get an edge. I understand maybe not wanting to fold an edge over, but at this point it's basically a hammer that could wedge it's way through clothing and flesh, but I can't cut anything with it, wouldn't be able to process game, and it's not exactly a great chopper.

I bought it new from a certified distributor, but said it was made in 2017.

I just got a new axe that was kind of dull, but just put it on some stones and in a few minutes it was razor sharp.

I'm guessing I should call Winkler customer service? Is it just designed to bash cinder blocks, sheet metal and other things and not do those other tasks a knife could do?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Craig Barr Damascus Hawk head with Equinox Coronado 30" haft (Yes Vec)
View Quote

Equinox Coronado, holy cow, thats a blast from the past. I totally forgot about them. I got to play with one of their rehandled CS hawks for a few weeks back in the day. Never did get one of mine done, as at the time, I liked to be able to take mine apart. I might have to look in to them again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#45]
I laughed at this thread.

And then it kept going on and I laughed some more at you tards with your hatchets and shit.

And then I started to think how cool it would be to have one in my dayhiking pack....you know.....just to have.....

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lorax:

And then it kept going on and I laughed some more at you tards with your hatchets and shit.

And then I started to think how cool it would be to have one in my dayhiking pack....you know.....just to have.....

View Quote
so what did you buy?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#47]

And then it kept going on and I laughed some more at you yards with your Hatchett and shit.

View Quote
I just got a Small Forest axe, it's fucking badass. I'm pretty sure it's going to start an axe collection for pretty much no reason at all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Someone give me some ideas on modding a SOG Fasthawk.

I have a dremel and half a case of beer, I ain't skeered.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#49]
I just got a Small Forest axe, it's fucking badass. I'm pretty sure it's going to start an axe collection for pretty much no reason at all.
View Quote

Right now there's some dude at his desk down at Amazon. He's the manager of the "Tomahawk and Pointy Things Department"....and he's saying to his computer screen.......

"Who the fuck is buying all these tomahawks right now?"

And for the record......I'm undecided but looking.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Right now there's some dude at his desk down at Amazon. He's the manager of the "Tomahawk and Pointy Things Department"....and he's saying to his computer screen.......

"Who the fuck is buying all these tomahawks right now?"

And for r record......I'm undecided but looking.
View Quote
Yeah I feel stupid, but I can't stop. Have to get the Shrike, and then it's over. Like the Accountant when he can't finish.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top