BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By southerncross:
This thread is timely. I'll post pics when its finished, but I'm having Fairweather Forge build a tomahawk from one of my Grandad's late 1920's vintage hammer heads.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157261/received_865926803979758_jpeg-1751442.JPG

Handle is going to be some phenolic insulation I pulled from a 70's vintage Cutler Hammer 2000 amp bus duct I demo'd earlier this year.
View Quote

Badass. If you start your own thread link us here so I don't miss it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By floater33:

View Quote

Will do. He's an up and coming maker so I'd like to give him some exposure anyway. Not affiliated but impressed with what I've paid for so far. This is the utility beater knife I had him make earlier this year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife wanted a Cold Steel "weeping heart" tomahawk.  Should be here this week.  This will be her first!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By black_dog:

Was curious about how long it was and how much it weighs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stazi:

Specs? Parts you bought or had laying around? Would like to build something similar.

Looks like a spider gear from a large differential, a large hex nut, a hickory handle and an axe wedge to keep it all together.

Not sure how much it weighs but it feels good to me. Probably about 20oz. Here it is next to the bolt the nut came off of.  The bolt itself would be a pretty indestructible weapon but it’s a little heavy to swing fast.  I am thinking of doing a little creative grinding on it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By inGobwetrust:

Not sure how much it weighs but it feels good to me. Probably about 20oz. Here it is next to the bolt the nut came off of.  The bolt itself would be a pretty indestructible weapon but it’s a little heavy to swing fast.  I am thinking of doing a little creative grinding on it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19382/1686ED7A-AE5B-435E-8624-C83F7CB48DD0_jpe-1751743.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19382/9245328B-F8F3-407D-BD37-B529608EC6BD_jpe-1751745.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stazi:

Specs? Parts you bought or had laying around? Would like to build something similar.

Looks like a spider gear from a large differential, a large hex nut, a hickory handle and an axe wedge to keep it all together.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19382/1686ED7A-AE5B-435E-8624-C83F7CB48DD0_jpe-1751743.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19382/9245328B-F8F3-407D-BD37-B529608EC6BD_jpe-1751745.JPG

Awesome! Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Makarov:
I keep one of these in each of our vehicles. It doesn’t impress the blade snobs but it has it’s uses.

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server200/1d5b0/products/472/images/1092/SOG_tomahawk__88488.1535733279.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote

I keep one of those under the back seat of my truck also.  Got it on sale for around $35 or so.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:18:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#7]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Done

Hammer forged by hand by Fairweather Forge
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The CRKT Kangees I ordered for the shop came in. That is a NICE little hawk. Might have to get one of those.

Right now I'm looking at the Boker Chickenhawk and Escape.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I was inspired to whip up a design as a project for a Christmas present for my nephew.  I do some work for a designer and super high end knifemaker (think $10k one-offs) that does a bunch of work for CRKT so last year I got him one of the mass produced designs.

We (my nephew and I) just started cutting today - I think it is a little small so we'll maybe scale it up by 10% or so for the real deal.  It is 4140 and I'm going to have it heat treated to around 48-52HRC so it will hold an edge but still be very tough.  I'm not sure if we're going to polish or bead blast but the as-machined surface actually looks pretty cool.  Originally I was going to make the ISOgrid go all the way through but the FEA didn't look great for shock loads.  I was going to target 9-12 ounces so it is nice and light.

Frame of reference the material started as 6"x4"x1.25" decarb free.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Neat
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
@dodge233 sent me this super bad ass SOG hawk! It’s crazy sharp from the factory. Never knew I needed these things in my life til this thread but damn it’s a new addiction. Made one, got some, buying more, forging my own from scratch eventually.

If you’re in the fence get one!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone found a good way to attach it somewhere in the car and/or under the armpit?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#14]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
Anyone found a good way to attach it somewhere in the car and/or under the armpit?
View Quote

They make this for more attachment styles.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is still in progress.  Head finished and sharpened. Handle is finished stained, oiled and sealed.

Waiting on the overstrike para cord wrap tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mississippiflush] [#16]
I absolutely despise everything crkt I've come into contact with but I ordered a kangee hawk
Gonna sit back and see if I can find a rmj or winkler second hand
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#17]
This came today. Took a Dremel and slightly beveled the head so it wouldn't plow into the haft.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
My recently rehung hatchet. Little brother to my other.more gray man than tactical.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tetoncounty] [#22]
I've handled a bunch of them and I've settled on something like this:
Attachment Attached File

Relatively small head, relatively long handle. Got some reach, but not too heavy. I've got some old hatchet heads and such which I've got sitting out in the shop. I want the blade in pretty close to the axis of the handle.
I intend to use my Dad's old NYPD nightstick for a handle.
Keep it in the truck under the dash with a powerful magnet I bought.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I absolutely despise everything crkt I've come into contact with but I ordered a kangee hawk
View Quote

CRKT is all chinesium junk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bass_Assassin:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Does having an extended poll benefit handling beyond it's primary purpose (hammer, spike etc)?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Does having an extended poll benefit handling beyond it's primary purpose (hammer, spike etc)?
View Quote

Yes, it increases leverage and therefore force. It also makes it harder to carry and easier to break with an over strike.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Other than killing people, what is a tomahawk actually good for? It seems like it wouldn't be particularly useful as a camp or wood processing tool when compared to a hatchet or small axe. What am I missing?

NOTE: if it is basically just a weapon that can kinda do other things, that's totally cool. I am just curious.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Carlos_Texas:
Other than killing people, what is a tomahawk actually good for? It seems like it wouldn't be particularly useful as a camp or wood processing tool when compared to a hatchet or small axe. What am I missing?

NOTE: if it is basically just a weapon that can kinda do other things, that's totally cool. I am just curious.
View Quote

Limited experience but mine made limbing some small branches to clear and burn a super easy task. Much easier to move around than a hatchet/ax and I was just cutting stuff under an inch so the blade was fine.

Also seems like a great tool around vehicles. Easy to smash glass, cut stuff, hook things as needed. Would be good for light building demo as well
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Limited experience but mine made limbing some small branches to clear and burn a super easy task. Much easier to move around than a hatchet/ax and I was just cutting stuff under an inch so the blade was fine.

Also seems like a great tool around vehicles. Easy to smash glass, cut stuff, hook things as needed. Would be good for light building demo as well
View Quote

Interesting. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I take mine camping and to the cottage.  It's good to chop up a bit of firewood for a camp fire.  We throw them at trees.  My son uses them as a personal coyote deterant weapon when we are out in the woods at night lol.

I have 3, two throwing hawks from HB forge, one boys' hawk, because my son had to have his own.  Also a CRKT.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

I thought their hawks were made in Taiwan?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

I thought their hawks were made in Taiwan?
View Quote

Their hawks are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:10:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#33]
Did a little hawk throwing today
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20210101_112111_HDR_jpg-1759384.JPG
View Quote

That’s a nice wheelgun!  Would love to see better pics of the grips.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20210101_112111_HDR_jpg-1759384.JPG

@inGobwetrust
Ahrends grips
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Sweet!  Sorry to sidetrack the thread.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Any tips for sharpening a hawk? I'm not the best knife sharpener but I can usually manage with a lot of time and frustration, to get a shaving edge.
None of the equipment I have seems suitable for a tomahawk.

I have a fine Nicholson file and more course ones that I guess I could use to get it close, the trail hawk came dull dull dull.

What should I get that will require the least amount of investment and still give me a nice edge?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By shwa:
Any tips for sharpening a hawk? I'm not the best knife sharpener but I can usually manage with a lot of time and frustration, to get a shaving edge.

I have a fine Nicholson file and more course ones that I guess I could use to get it close, the trail hawk came dull dull dull.

What should I get that will require the least amount of investment and still give me a nice edge?
View Quote

The Laziest Way to Sharpen Any Axe to Razor Sharp
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#39]
"Your Thomas-hawk, sir."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By shwa:

View Quote

Depends on whether you're going for a conventional angled edge geometry, or taking it to a convex edge. I prefer to convex mine, but thats just my preference. Either way, on the cheap, use your files and get a hockey puck stone. If you're a woodworker, a random orbit sander or belt sander works well. If you've got an angle grinder, grab a 120 grit flap wheel and a 200 grit sanding disk. After that, a 3M rubber sanding block with progressively finer grits of paper will get it scary sharp.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Just used the one dodge233 got me to trim some firewood. Was great to have a light weight, one handed tool for a small brush pile. Made short work of everything smaller than my thumb (and a few 3” + branches) and got everything to fit in the firepit
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#42]
My bro got me one of the cold steel trench hawks in od months ago.
I just ordered two rifleman hawks.

Can some one give me the run down on the onion/acid/vinegar deal for the steel.
One ill leave as is. The other i wanna clean up,burn the wood and I've got some copper tacks to fancy it up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By protus:

One ill leave as is. The other i wanna clean up,burn the wood and I've got some copper tacks to fancy it up.
View Quote

Get paint stripper and strip all of the coating off, wash with hot soapy water and dry. Then you soak with either white vinegar for a light patina or apple cider for a dark patina. Let it soak for 20 mins. Rinse, dry and then oil. You can also use yellow mustard but it works because of the vinegar content so just use vinegar.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:

Get paint stripper and strip all of the coating off, wash with hot soapy water and dry. Then you soak with either white vinegar for a light patina or apple cider for a dark patina. Let it soak for 20 mins. Rinse, dry and then oil. You can also use yellow mustard but it works because of the vinegar content so just use vinegar.
View Quote

Thanks. I knew it was easy...but not that simple.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
I was inspired to whip up a design as a project for a Christmas present for my nephew.  I do some work for a designer and super high end knifemaker (think $10k one-offs) that does a bunch of work for CRKT so last year I got him one of the mass produced designs.

We (my nephew and I) just started cutting today - I think it is a little small so we'll maybe scale it up by 10% or so for the real deal.  It is 4140 and I'm going to have it heat treated to around 48-52HRC so it will hold an edge but still be very tough.  I'm not sure if we're going to polish or bead blast but the as-machined surface actually looks pretty cool.  Originally I was going to make the ISOgrid go all the way through but the FEA didn't look great for shock loads.  I was going to target 9-12 ounces so it is nice and light.

Frame of reference the material started as 6"x4"x1.25" decarb free.
View Quote

@RickFinsta
That is awesome. I don’t know a lot about milling. What is the next step? How do you do the eye and the other side? Just flip the piece around?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:52:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MRTsHaircut] [#46]
Originally Posted By protus:

View Quote

I used 220 sand paper and vinegar to remove the phosphate on my Chogan.  Scuff it.   Soak in white vinegar wrapped in paper towels for a few days.  Wash with sos pad and fresh water.  Sand again... wrap in paper towel and white vinegar diverged for two more days.  Sand it. Wash it and hit it with 0000 steel wool.  Used some CLP and then sharpened it.   It looks great.  Holds an edge.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

I've demo'd two bathrooms in my house using my tomahawk. That's always the first step in a renovation project. They rip through drywall nicely.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#48]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Did some touch up work on my Spax. It was used heavily during scouting and hunting season this year. These things make quick work of ribcages and pelvises, for you hunters out there. Obviously this one has seen a little abuse and blood as there is some pitting on the exposed steel. This one got sharpened up to a 25* bevel with a 30* micro bevel using a Lansky stone set, which requires the clamp to be set inside the hydrant opener cut. Apologies that the pictures don't do the tiny bevels justice (or clean up the factory grind marks) but they're more than adequate for the abuse this thing sees - it rides on my pack which goes in the truck or along with me whenever hunting or scouting. With it sharpened like this it is also adequate for skinning and finer work - you can put fingers through the hydrant cutout and use it somewhat similar to an Ulu knife.

I also took a stone to the chisel tip to clean that up- it makes a formidable weapon or puncture tool. Also note the 25* note center punched into the steel - I like to do this on my working blades so I can always remember for the next time I sharpen. Obviously not to be used on fine cutting tools.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas on uses for yours.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top