BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 502
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Has anyone made their own wallet on a thumb drive?
View Quote
You mean like a backup of a Bitcoin core wallet, or an encrypted backup of your seed phrase(s)?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GraboidHunter] [#2]
I was wrong about Ledger pulling the update.  They are actually doubling down on this.  Pretty amazing that such a successful company that sells millions of special use devices that secure billions of dollars of crypto could choose to totally destroy their customer's trust in them in just a few days.  Dead company. All for a $10/mo sub.

What the hell were they thinking?  I've emptied my Ledgers to my old system (Bitcoin Core on a freshly wiped PC) and am checking out Trezor.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll put my tinfoil on and ask is this yet another attack on the crypto ecosphere as a whole?

I have always worried that somebody or an entity goes after the cold wallet providers.

“Going after” can take many forms. Up to and including paying off/buying out the owners/CEOs etc.  

I trust no one anymore and wouldn’t put anything past anybody when it comes to wealth/greed/corruption at this point.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:05:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#4]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
There's a pretty big upset over the new Ledger firmware ... which may or may not be able to access and send your seed from the hardware device to other companies.  The developers are being very coy about it and users are furious.   Not quite sure what to think. Seems like corporate suicide to me.  I just bought two new Ledgers and will be seeing if I can get refunds.  Whatever you do, do NOT update your firmware.

Link left cold because reddit sucks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/13itm7u/comment/jkbyyfp/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=14&context=3
View Quote

Don't get too upset here.

The Trezor's keys can be read out of the device, so it's not secure in any fashion at all.  The Ledger's cannot.

The new firmware has the ability, if you sign up for the service, turn it on and approve it *on the device* to send an encrypted version of your seed to Ledger's recovery services.

Now why anybody would do this I have no fucking clue.  But the keys have always existed in the device.  Any firmware on the device can access the keys, as it must to generate the signatures.  This doesn't *really* change anything, and Ledger is still the only thing on the market that isn't vulnerable to a direct readout of the keys in memory.

Ledger's announcement of this was very poorly done, but it's really not the shitshow it sounds like.

And btw the Nano S can't even load this firmware and isn't capable of connecting to this service at all, so go for that one if you're nervous about it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GraboidHunter] [#5]
Originally Posted By Josh:

The Trezor's keys can be read out of the device, so it's not secure in any fashion at all.  The Ledger's cannot.

The new firmware has the ability, if you sign up for the service, turn it on and approve it *on the device* to send an encrypted version of your seed to Ledger's recovery services.

Now why anybody would do this I have no fucking clue.  But the keys have always existed in the device.  Any firmware on the device can access the keys, as it must to generate the signatures.  This doesn't *really* change anything, and Ledger is still the only thing on the market that isn't vulnerable to a direct readout of the keys in memory.

Ledger's announcement of this was very poorly done, but it's really not the shitshow it sounds like.

And btw the Nano S can't even load this firmware and isn't capable of connecting to this service at all, so go for that one if you're nervous about it.
View Quote

They have said they are working on firmware for the Nano S so this backdoor is available there too.   The problem here is for years they have told us one thing (see meme above) and now they have proven that was a lie.  They said keys cannot be extracted.  Trust is gone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]

They have said they are working on firmware for the Nano S so this backdoor is available there too.   The problem here is for years they have told us one thing (see meme above) and now they have proven that was a lie.  They said keys cannot be extracted.  Trust is gone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Keys have always been available to the firmware on the device.  The firmware doesn't allow them to be exfiltrated from the device.  It has to have access to them to do the signing operations the device does by design.  I think there's been a lot of misunderstanding around this fact -- even on my own part long in the past.  Once you look at the firmware for any of the wallets, it's completely obvious that the firmware has the keys.  The Trezor is no different, except it also uses a vulnerable device that allows the keys to be read off of it externally with a logic analyzer.

The Nano-s isn't supported by the recovery service.  My suspicion is that the microcontroller in it doesn't have the ability to do the operations that would require.  It's *very* limited, which people complained and complained about.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
BTC Conference dip is here.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#9]
Originally Posted By goloud:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By goloud:

Annual Bitcoin Conference taking place. BTC typically dips during the conference or immediately when it closes.  Bitcoin -$1000 today.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Annual Bitcoin Conference taking place. BTC typically dips during the conference or immediately when it closes.  Bitcoin -$1000 today.
View Quote

That was a fart in the wind. Need more sales!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

View All Quotes

It's always on sale relative to ten years from now...
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Or 2 yrs from now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#13]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

Or 2 yrs from now.
View All Quotes

Or 2 yrs from now.

Not always true. You could've bought May 2021 and still be waiting.

Attachment Attached File

Wen Porsche?

Also, wtf is wrong with 99.5% of GD and the world? Fenix gets it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Default-Gateway] [#14]

Also, wtf is wrong with 99.5% of GD and the world? Fenix gets it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/268409/Screenshot_20230519_115350_Twitter_jpg-2821870.JPG
View Quote

I literally said (paraphrased ) the same thing in various threads here.  I deal with Skid tactical because they accept Bitcoin and they also give me a 5% discount for using it. I haven't bought a firearm with FIAT in years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:05:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#15]
Ledger's new ad:  (parody)
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Keys have always been available to the firmware on the device.  The firmware doesn't allow them to be exfiltrated from the device.  It has to have access to them to do the signing operations the device does by design.  I think there's been a lot of misunderstanding around this fact -- even on my own part long in the past.  Once you look at the firmware for any of the wallets, it's completely obvious that the firmware has the keys.  The Trezor is no different, except it also uses a vulnerable device that allows the keys to be read off of it externally with a logic analyzer.

The Nano-s isn't supported by the recovery service.  My suspicion is that the microcontroller in it doesn't have the ability to do the operations that would require.  It's *very* limited, which people complained and complained about.

View Quote

I concur with your first paragraph. I did more research after my post a page-ish ago and I realized I didn’t truly understand how Ledger functions. Still have some more learning to do but I’m not as WTF about it as I was when they first announced the update (even though I’m not interested in the service)

For anyone interested, Bankless podcast has the CTO of Ledger on during their Wednesday podcast. He has a heavy French accent so it’s a little tough to follow but the hosts and he gave good insight and “what if” scenarios. But what I really got from it is how ledger/trezor/etc hardware wallets function as it relates to its software.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Posted By mPisi:

Ledger's new ad:  (parody)
View Quote
I guess I missed the news....
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:36:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ-IN-JAX] [#18]
Are people's Ledgers getting hack and emptied?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:
Are people's Ledgers getting hack and emptied?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:35:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brahmzy] [#20]
President Biden Says He Won’t Agree to a Debt Deal Protecting Crypto Traders

https://twitter.com/watcherguru/status/1660243531741495296?s=61&t=HHIEcin5R_KrLQ8OlcjDoA

Clown. World.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh look, hardware wallets are tarded... what a shock.

Here's a nickel kid, go buy a book on PKI
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]

https://twitter.com/watcherguru/status/1660243531741495296?s=61&t=HHIEcin5R_KrLQ8OlcjDoA

Clown. World.
View Quote

The mind blowing part is that he couldn’t string one sentence together about bitcoin, blockchain, or anything else remotely related. But suddenly he’s going to hold up the talks.

Makes me angry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Clown. World.
View Quote

Just prepping everyone for the anti-crypto bill.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Make sure this guy doesn’t hold your crypto.

Ledger CEO confirms that if subpoenaed by a government they would turn over the three encrypted shards giving them access to your wallet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/13owatj/ledger_ceo_confirms_that_if_subpoenaed_by_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Make sure this guy doesn't hold your crypto.

Ledger CEO confirms that if subpoenaed by a government they would turn over the three encrypted shards giving them access to your wallet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/13owatj/ledger_ceo_confirms_that_if_subpoenaed_by_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
View Quote
It's already been clarified. You have to opt into this service. Not sure why you would but I'm just leaving my firmware as is for now.

not real happy the keys can get read off the Trezor either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#26]
I just need mempool to chill a bit so I can make the full move now. Gonna be costly with the several utxos otherwise...

EDIT: REALLY can't wait to be done with Ledger.  Trying to move my BTC and device crashes while attempting to confirm the transaction...Booting up...This is no joke about the 87th time I've had to do it during the lifetime of the device.  Always have known in my heart it was a piece of shit...
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I just need mempool to chill a bit so I can make the full move now. Gonna be costly with the several utxos otherwise...

EDIT: REALLY can't wait to be done with Ledger.  Trying to move my BTC and device crashes while attempting to confirm the transaction...Booting up...This is no joke about the 87th time I've had to do it during the lifetime of the device.  Always have known in my heart it was a piece of shit...
View Quote

ColdCard for the win.  

Seriously, let us know what you're moving to from Ledger.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Anybody still buying Bitcoin?

My kids say I need to, thinking about dipping my toes

The World’s First Kids Cartoon about Bitcoin! ?? ?? Livestream Premiere | S2 E3 - Tuttle Twins |
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ekzsZZGfsk
View Quote

Your kids are smarter than you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Hopefully!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Bitcoin is off the radar right now.  There's been an observable 4 year cycle in Bitcoin that has repeated three times now and we were generally aware of it well before the most recent one so it's not entirely in hindsight.  The theorized driving force behind this 4 year cycle is that Bitcoin goes through a "halving event" every 4 years where the issuance rate of new BTC is chopped in half.  It was originally 50 BTC per 10 minutes, and then it dropped to 25 BTC, and then 12.5 BTC, and now it's 6.25 BTC.  

So if you make the presumption that the 4 year phenomenon will continue then now would be the best time to buy and that window of opportunity is probably until sometime after the next halving event in 2024.  The fact that the next halving event also lines up with a likely time frame for the Federal Reserve to start reducing rates could help add some fuel to the fire in late 2024.

Attachment Attached File

That said, you do have to appreciate the fact that Bitcoin can be really volatile when you "zoom in".  We could easily head back down below $20k between now and the next halving just as easily as we could get above $40k and stay there until the next halving.  There's a pretty wide range that Bitcoin can trade in "in the moment" even if you make a long term assumption that the long term trend up will continue to hold.  You've got to be ready for that or don't bother wasting your time and mental health.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone been trading the ETH memecoins past month or so?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

No one wants to buy at 27k, they'd rather wait till 50-60k then panic buy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#35]

View All Quotes

What if you panic buy from $10k-600k?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

OCD DCA is not panic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

Bitcoin is off the radar right now.  There's been an observable 4 year cycle in Bitcoin that has repeated three times now and we were generally aware of it well before the most recent one so it's not entirely in hindsight.  The theorized driving force behind this 4 year cycle is that Bitcoin goes through a "halving event" every 4 years where the issuance rate of new BTC is chopped in half.  It was originally 50 BTC per 10 minutes, and then it dropped to 25 BTC, and then 12.5 BTC, and now it's 6.25 BTC.  

So if you make the presumption that the 4 year phenomenon will continue then now would be the best time to buy and that window of opportunity is probably until sometime after the next halving event in 2024.  The fact that the next halving event also lines up with a likely time frame for the Federal Reserve to start reducing rates could help add some fuel to the fire in late 2024.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-2828326.JPG

That said, you do have to appreciate the fact that Bitcoin can be really volatile when you "zoom in".  We could easily head back down below $20k between now and the next halving just as easily as we could get above $40k and stay there until the next halving.  There's a pretty wide range that Bitcoin can trade in "in the moment" even if you make a long term assumption that the long term trend up will continue to hold.  You've got to be ready for that or don't bother wasting your time and mental health.

View Quote

This should be a copy pasta by now
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
This sideways crabwalk is painful. Need a good old-school butt-puckering flash crash so I can blow my wad. DCA is pitiful boring.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#39]
This sideways crabwalk is painful. Need a good old-school butt-puckering flash crash so I can blow my wad. DCA is pitiful boring.
View Quote

Yes sir!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

If you are looking for excitement, Bangkok without prophylactics is that way.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Apparently some company named Farenheit won an auction to aquire whats left of the shitshow that is/was Celsius.

Doesn't sound shady at all.

No wonder some people can't take this stuff seriously.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I would have named it Fahrenheit 451.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:45:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#43]
Edit:TLDR

Ledger continues to suck ass. On my second bootload over 3 days (each reboot takes over 24 hrs)  and 5 device crashes to move my holdings. Fuck Ledger.

Might be better just to recall the remaining wallet addresses on a new device at this point and move them that way. Save time vs dealing with the actual Ledger.

EDIT 2:  Sayonara, Ledger!  Broke up my final transactions.  The number of old wallet addresses was conflicting with the hardware's ability to load and broadcast transactions apparently.  Had to make several separate transactions for the remainder holdings to successfully load and permit approval.  Fuck the Ledger.  Happy I never have to enter that seed phrase with those two tiny buttons ever again since the device's ability to crash was a bi-monthly occurrence.    

Mempool isn't too bad right now.  More than when I was sending at 2-3sats/vB last year...but I got through in a surprising 30 mins to a confirmation on just 21sats/vB...Was tempted to go sub-20 but my last 21sat transaction took about 12 hrs after broadcast and given everything with Ledger was a PITA I just wanted to see them verified.  Not so much a hurry as a peace of mind at this point.

My security just got taken up a notch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Picked up some unibot and blackswan

Looking for the next 10-20x

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:35:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brahmzy] [#45]
Originally Posted By Knife_Sniper:
Picked up some unibot and blackswan

Looking for the next 10-20x

View Quote

Unibot look like it has already made a lot of money for some peeps! Blackswan looks like a ground-floor opp for sure.

Good luck on both! Tempting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Ledger continues to suck ass. On my second bootload over 3 days (each reboot takes over 24 hrs)  and 5 device crashes to move my holdings. Fuck Ledger.

Might be better just to recall the remaining wallet addresses on a new device at this point and move them that way. Save time vs dealing with the actual Ledger.

EDIT 2:  Sayonara, Ledger!  Broke up my final transactions.  The number of old wallet addresses was conflicting with the hardware's ability to load and broadcast transactions apparently.  Had to make several separate transactions for the remainder holdings to successfully load and permit approval.  Fuck the Ledger.  Happy I never have to enter that seed phrase with those two tiny buttons ever again since the device's ability to crash was a bi-monthly occurrence.    

Mempool isn't too bad right now.  More than when I was sending at 2-3sats/vB last year...but I got through in a surprising 30 mins to a confirmation on just 21sats/vB...Was tempted to go sub-20 but my last 21sat transaction took about 12 hrs after broadcast and given everything with Ledger was a PITA I just wanted to see them verified.  Not so much a hurry as a peace of mind at this point.

View Quote

Did you go with Trezor? I haven’t had coffee yet so I’m too lazy to try to find if you already mentioned it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

Did you go with Trezor? I haven’t had coffee yet so I’m too lazy to try to find if you already mentioned it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

The only ledger that gives me trouble is the OG version. If the USB connection is bad or a few years old it can't connect very well. It loses connection if you jiggle the cord.

I use it to generate some of my wallets.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Is there any problems with the block stream jade wallet? I rarely see it brought up. Always cold card, ledger and trezor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#49]
Originally Posted By SubversiveSammich:
Is there any problems with the block stream jade wallet? I rarely see it brought up. Always cold card, ledger and trezor.
View Quote

Jade wallet is a sound choice from what I could tell, just not my choice.

There's not many companies I'd put much faith in after Ledger's statements even after their backpedal. The Ledger wasn't a concern... for now... but in the long I think it's now a risk to be considered what companies will roll over to the government and back door fuck you.  In combination with my shitty og nano s device it was time to move on anyways. I'm not kidding when I say I've had to reboot that device over 2 days 87x. I just don't make transactions other than as deposits so the motivation to switch was not pressing until recent affairs.

Won't disclose my choice as a matter of privacy, but anyone in this thread that knows my stance on the industry probably can assume what hardware device I chose to handle my signature and security.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

As Greg Foss says, "Learn math, you Fuktards!"
Page / 502
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top