BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 502
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: inspectorpacket] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
The globalists are going to crush bitcoin.

Anything decentralized is the enemy in the new world order.

View Quote

Actually, wouldn't they all just buy in... which is what they are doing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:35:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: felrom] [#2]
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:
I guess I shouldn't have scoffed when it "crashed" after the last fall.

I mean, I'm still going to scoff because it's still made up fake money, but as it climbs higher I think more and more the amount I could have made would outweigh the guilt of knowing that whatever money I made came from convincing a bigger fool to part with theirs.
View Quote
If only we could discover some kind of value in  an immutable record secured by unbreakable cryptography, billions of dollars of processing power, and tens of billions of dollars of sunk electricity.

If only...

Just for once I'd love to read a criticism of Bitcoin that came from someone who understood Bitcoin, understood finance, and understood economics. The best argument that I repeatedly see against Bitcoin is that government's could just make it really hard to turn into cash. You'd still be able to do it, it would just be harder.  But instead we get the same stupid boomer nonsense over and over:

It's not backed by anything.
It's all just made up.
It's all going to zero.
Tulips.
No intrinsic value.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:38:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mazeman] [#3]
Originally Posted By captainpooby:
What do you guys think about Blockfi? I could earn some decent interest if I deposit my bitcoin with them. Anybody here use it?
View Quote
Blockfi has been good to me. I keep some of my BTC there for the interest. The drawback, of course, is they hold your key, but they've been very reliable.

ETA: I also recently withdrew some from there. Worked fine except for the expected bank clearance delay.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought in $2k over the last week, then it dropped a bit. I'm not worried much at all. I expect it'll start going back up. I'm in for the long haul with this anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By felrom:
If only we could discover some kind of value in  an immutable record secured by unbreakable cryptography, billions of dollars of processing power, and tens of billions of dollars of sunk electricity.

If only...

Just for once I'd love to read a criticism of Bitcoin that came from someone who understood Bitcoin, understood finance, and understood economics. The best argument that I repeatedly see against Bitcoin is that government's could just make it really hard to turn into cash. You'd still be able to do it, it would just be harder.  But instead we get the same stupid boomer nonsense over and over:

It's all just made up.
It's all going to zero.
Tulips.
No intrinsic value.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:
I guess I shouldn't have scoffed when it "crashed" after the last fall.

I mean, I'm still going to scoff because it's still made up fake money, but as it climbs higher I think more and more the amount I could have made would outweigh the guilt of knowing that whatever money I made came from convincing a bigger fool to part with theirs.

If only...

It's all just made up.
It's all going to zero.
Tulips.
No intrinsic value.

I always get a kick out that argument.  The US has printed more money in the past 10 months than in the previous 100 yrs.  Yet people still think the dollar is a superior currency or store of value.  That internet thing is never going to catch on either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#6]
ALERT!! THIS BITCOIN DUMP IS A TRAP?! | 95% ACCURACY INDICATOR FOR CRYPTOCURRENCY’S NEXT MOVE!

Interesting
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#7]
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
I bought in $2k over the last week, then it dropped a bit. I'm not worried much at all. I expect it'll start going back up. I'm in for the long haul with this anyway.
View Quote

I'm not afraid! You will be
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

I always get a kick out that argument.  The US has printed more money in the past 10 months than in the previous 100 yrs.  Yet people still think the dollar is a superior currency or store of value.  That internet thing is never going to catch on either.
View Quote
Haha yeah.  Bitcoin doesn't have the luxury of being backed by empty promises from the financial geniuses in Congress.  lol
I can understand that people don't come up with the solutions themselves. I didn't either. I had to read smarter people explaining it to me. But to be 12 years into this Bitcoin thing and for people to still be posting the same arguments is just so tiring.

Bitcoin is backed by something. It's backed by the size and power of the computer network that secures it. It's the second largest computer network ever assembled, after the internet itself.

Bitcoin has intrinsic value. Its intrinsic value is the blockchain itself: in immutable history of transactions that cost tens of billions of dollars of electricity to assemble.

Can we name another asset that isn't backed by anything? How about unsecured bonds. It's only a market in the tens of trillions of dollars, backed by nothing but the full faithful and credit of the issuers.  So anytime you see someone make the argument that Bitcoin is dumb because it isn't backed by anything, you can rest assured that their knowledge of finance and economics is so immature that they're not even aware of the existence of unsecured bonds.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
BTC is at a classic head and shoulders right now. If you are in I'd highly recommend watching it closely so you don't get dumped on.

*This is not financial advice*

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
I bought some after it dipped down here the other day. I'm riding this bitch to the moon
View Quote

Same. Every day it drops, Im buying a little more.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Whales have lifted their $37k sell wall.  Accumulation complete.  Clearing for takeoff.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: captainpooby] [#13]
Wow. Check out this 58 million BTC options trade.

Deep pockets and balls of steel.

https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-options-bet-on-36k-58m-profit

On Oct. 30, someone (a single trader or small group) bought 16,000 contracts of Jan. 29 expiry call options at the $36,000 strike for 0.003 bitcoin (BTC, +2.04%) per contract, according to data shared by Deribit. The initial investment or total purchase cost was 48 BTC, or roughly $638,400 as per bitcoin’s price back then.

At press time, the $36,000 call option is drawing a price of 0.1060 bitcoin on Deribit. At current prices, which haven’t changed much in the past 24 hours, and assuming the position is still active, the trader appears to be sitting on a gain of 1,648 bitcoin or $58.2 million.

View Quote

Originally Posted By Htown156:
BTC is at a classic head and shoulders right now. If you are in I'd highly recommend watching it closely so you don't get dumped on.

View Quote

What time frame are you looking at?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

On Oct. 30, someone (a single trader or small group) bought 16,000 contracts of Jan. 29 expiry call options at the $36,000 strike for 0.003 bitcoin (BTC, +2.04%) per contract, according to data shared by Deribit. The initial investment or total purchase cost was 48 BTC, or roughly $638,400 as per bitcoin’s price back then.

At press time, the $36,000 call option is drawing a price of 0.1060 bitcoin on Deribit. At current prices, which haven’t changed much in the past 24 hours, and assuming the position is still active, the trader appears to be sitting on a gain of 1,648 bitcoin or $58.2 million.

Originally Posted By Htown156:

There isn't one.  6 Hr was the closest thing to it maybe if there was one...That OP read something on the internet and someone conjured up a way to bend the rules of Head & Shoulders reversal pattern.  Bitcoin is consolidating in this range.  It is in all probability neutral at this time for the short course and considering the bullish environment surrounding it, and your brother and cousin not asking you about how to buy Bitcoin and FOMOing in with a swirl of money, I anticipate more upside potential.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:

If that was the case they would've done it already. I think they see it as a great means to collect taxes with capital gains.
View Quote

A free test mule also. Let the geeks work out all the bugs before having it declared contraband and replacing it (and all currency) with their own global great reset crypto.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
My worry is that BTC is basically in place in case the dollar fails... BUT if the dollar fails arent there going to be much bigger problems going on?

Do you really think it's going to be a time of peace where everything else is normal and we still shop for groceries and pay for internet and clack away at our keyboards trading bitcoin?
It's just hard to imagine.

(I own a couple btc for what its worth)
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
And we're off again!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:07:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: felrom] [#18]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:
My worry is that BTC is basically in place in case the dollar fails... BUT if the dollar fails arent there going to be much bigger problems going on?

Do you really think it's going to be a time of peace where everything else is normal and we still shop for groceries and pay for internet and clack away at our keyboards trading bitcoin?

View Quote
Bitcoin has value outside of the apocalypse.  We've watched it go from worthless nerd infatuation to $40,000 mainstream financial instrument, all without the world ending.

Your argument isn't one against Bitcoin; it's simply a statement that an apocalypse is bad.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

A free test mule also. Let the geeks work out all the bugs before having it declared contraband and replacing it (and all currency) with their own global great reset crypto.
View Quote
What happens to non-cash assets during the great reset?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

If you're holding gold and or silver, at least you'll come out on the other side with something.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
And we're off again!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I am considering buying cryptos, but for anyone looking for arguments against bitcoin:

"Bitcoin and you fools"

"Bitcoin is stupid"

"Bitcoin is for dumb people"

"In the end you will curse bitcoin"

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

View Quote

You could say the same thing for gold or silver.  If everything is that far in the shitter, what good is bitcoin, cash, gold or silver or jewels?  People will be wanting baby formula, AMMO, liquor, food, waterm guns.  Shit like that.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Redhed97:

You could say the same thing for gold or silver.  If everything is that far in the shitter, what good is bitcoin, cash, gold or silver or jewels?  People will be wanting baby formula, AMMO, liquor, food, waterm guns.  Shit like that.  
View Quote

uh, no, not really. What you are saying is that barter is going to be preferred for exchanges in a shtf situation, essentially living like the pre-industrialized world. Barter is incredibly inefficient, it's why gold and silver were used as money. Good luck storing large amounts of oil, food, and water.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SquirrelAssassin:

uh, no, not really. What you are saying is that barter is going to be preferred for exchanges in a shtf situation, essentially living like the pre-industrialized world. Barter is incredibly inefficient, it's why gold and silver were used as money. Good luck storing large amounts of oil, food, and water.
View Quote

Depends on how much our civilization is degraded and isolated in the end. Road warrior? medival village? enclaves? Roman empire?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
It's on.

eToro said it’s so overwhelmed by demand by newcomers who want to trade cryptocurrencies on the exchange it has temporarily boosted the amount new users have to put on deposit to discourage them from joining.

The platform, which mainly caters to "social" or beginner traders, raised its required deposit level to $1,000 from $200.
The number of new registrations and the volume of deposits and trading on the platform hit all new highs in 2021, fueled by crypto, Amy Butler, global head of PR for eToro, said in an email to CoinDesk.
"We have seen huge demand for crypto, especially bitcoin," she said.
While institutional funds were the main driver of the bull run last year, this report of "unprecedented demand" by eToro could be a sign that retail traders are finally starting to jump in with both feet.
"In this first week of 2021 we have seen days with over 40,000 new registered users in a day and volumes of crypto trades at 10 times the average of last year," Butler said.
After notching more than a 300% gain in 2020, the price of bitcoin has already risen more than 35% this year.
View Quote

https://www.coindesk.com/exchange-etoro-seeks-to-deter-new-users-in-sign-of-surging-retail-demand-for-crypto

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I know it’s only been a week or so but seems like it’s bouncing around from 32-38s pretty regularly. Has anyone “timed” the market in the past and had good luck with it? I know there is always a chance you’ll sell and it’ll run away past 40k never to be seen in the 30s again but I’m tempted.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#28]
ALERT! The European Central Bank JUST Warned of Global Cryptocurrency Regulation in 2021! [BE READY]

The European Central Bank Warns of Global Cryptocurrency Regulation in 2021
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5mmVPkupA
View Quote

globalists will not tolerate decentralized competition

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]

If you're holding gold and or silver, at least you'll come out on the other side with something.
View All Quotes

What if you're holding other non-cash assets, like stocks?  Bonds?  Real estate?  Businesses?  Inventory?  Capital equipment?  Collectables?  CDOs?  Mortgages?  Leases?  Mineral rights?  Claims?  Patents?  Good will?

My point being that when doomers like HEATSEAKER conjure forth the amorphous specter of The Great Reset they only ever mention cash being compromised, not realizing that cash is a tiny fraction of all wealth.  Imagine that all of your cash was stolen tomorrow by the government.  How much would it affect you?  I have less than 1% of my wealth in cash.  But doomers don't understand that, so they make ridiculous claims that The Great Reset will somehow overturn the world by just fiddling with cash.  It's like they don't even realize what comprises the vast majority of wealth.

My question was rhetorical of course, in an attempt to get HEATSEAKER to really think about what he's saying, and to contemplate whether it makes sense or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SquirrelAssassin:
I am considering buying cryptos, but for anyone looking for arguments against bitcoin:

"Bitcoin and you fools"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9kfDPrtC4

"Bitcoin is stupid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Gu9vU7T0Q

"Bitcoin is for dumb people"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdq1K1wxmDs

"In the end you will curse bitcoin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRRO1D8Rvbc
View Quote
90 seconds before "not worth anything."  Thank god I was watching at double speed and only lost 45 seconds of my life.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5mmVPkupA
View Quote

"if there is an escape, then that escape will be used"

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I have 6k sitting here waiting to invest into BTC. Was hoping for a bigger dip. But it looks like it is going neutral? Would hate to jump in at 33-38k.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 6k sitting here waiting to invest into BTC. Was hoping for a bigger dip. But it looks like it is going neutral? Would hate to jump in at 33-38k.
View Quote

You just have to jump in and be patient. I bought another $100 of BTC monday afternoon at 31,500 during the bid dip, it went down another 1500 then started climbing again. Its at 37,900 now.
Or you can wait for the next dip. Its something that needs to be watched if you want to time it. I only watch frequently for buying opportunities.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Caeser2001] [#35]
View Quote

Download tradingview, use indicator exponential moving average for 21 days. Set a limit order next time there’s a downtrend. There’s only been one daily close below that, but there have been plenty of wicks below it.

This is not financial advice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Still a bunch of room in the log regression bands.

Attachment Attached File

Closeup - The top band is currently about 71k-93k.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CBags04:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129054/btclog_PNG-1778802.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129054/btclogzoom_PNG-1778810.JPG

View Quote

And the lower band is about 10k.

Hooray for logs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I haven't seen those analytics before, can you break them down for us layman?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By The_Steward:

Hooray for logs.
View All Quotes

Hooray for logs.

I, for one, would welcome $10k bitcoin again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#40]
Originally Posted By UTex86:

View All Quotes

Hooray for logs.

Likely why it will never make it there again. Not off the table, but unlikely because everyone and their closest kin will back up the truck after this run.

I'll say even sub-$20k at all will be difficult.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Likely why it will never make it there again. Not off the table, but unlikely because everyone and their closest kin will back up the truck after this run.

View All Quotes

Hooray for logs.

I mean we had these exactly same comments in 2017/2018...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M16A4:

View Quote
Basically, someone figured out how well BTC follows a logarithmic regression.

The bottom band is much higher confidence as there are thousands of data points in the data (all of the daily closes in the green band area).

The top band is a little lower confidence as it only has the three blow off tops as data points.

However, the chart historically is very good at showing good accumulation zones, and sell zones. Whether it continues to do so....we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#43]
Originally Posted By MrZeat:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrZeat:

Hooray for logs.

Sure...But this time... it's DIFFERENT!

At least I didnt completely take those drop targets off the table...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#44]

The bottom band is much higher confidence as there are thousands of data points in the data (all of the daily closes in the green band area).

The top band is a little lower confidence as it only has the three blow off tops as data points.

However, the chart historically is very good at showing good accumulation zones, and sell zones. Whether it continues to do so....we'll see.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M16A4:

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#45]
ChainLink baby
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Proto3:
ChainLink baby
View Quote

I knew I should have bought more when it was $1.  I have a nice bag but could always be bigger.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

all it would take is 2 whales having a pissing contest again  ;)

(fingers crossed, lol)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm trying to get up the nerve to transfer my coin base holdings into my ledger X.

I feel like I am one typo away from losing it all
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
I'm trying to get up the nerve to transfer my coin base holdings into my ledger X.

View Quote
The Ledger Live app is pretty intuitive and foolproof. Just take your time.
You can always make a small transfer first to practice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:

View Quote

what info led you to get the ledger X? Other options, best option?

Any reads/how-tos?
Page / 502
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top