Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#1]
This Artic Blast & Black Out in Texas has really shown how weak the system & many of 'the people' in it are.

We have been trained since diapers that the Texas Coast is subject to frequent Hurricanes & power outages and that EVERYONE should have a weeks worth of food & water, plus "whatever it takes" to get through that time period.  Even 72 hours is considered sufficent by many.

However, when the Artic Blast hit, the power went out and stores closed, there were beggars all over the TV going on and on about no food, no water and we have had massive Free Shit Army Giveaways to the SAME People who are in the SAME predicament from the Previous storms & events.

At what point does Mr. Darwin step in and say, "Look - You've taken this test THREE Times now and flunked - I just don't think you have what it takes to continue in "The Program".

Of course, the Authorities run these Free Stuff Army giveaways because the don't want the population to go Bananas and start "Liberating" all of the stuff they want / need.

As attractive as Bugging In may be, you have to face facts that there are millions of Broke Dick Section 8 Apartment dwellers in many cities who won't hesitate to take your stuff if they feel they "need it"...

But as pointed out, what you may need to haul to "safety" outside the city can be a BIG load that not many people have the capacity to actually load & move in an emergency, especially if fuel is cut off or the Roads are "restricted" by the Authorities.

Damned if you DO, and Damned if you DON'T ...  

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
-We stock almost exclusively what we use.
-We have roughly two years of supplies.
-With four propane tanks roughly 1.5 years of fuel. And firewood.
-Good well, with two means to pump.
-Defensible property, very remote.

We decided the above was not enough. Sold out. In two months we're moving to:
-Much larger property with pond, woodlot, space for livestock.
-Property has better potential for gardens, greenhouse, beehives, chickens.
-More defensible property.

By early summer we'll be settled in, and intend to expand the pantry to three years worth of supplies.
As far as we are concerned, going forward, keeping money in the bank is a bad decision. Might as well spend it on tangibles that can be stored.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long can canned meat and vegetables last in a cool not cold storage enviroment??

How long can chicken and beef canned last!?
View Quote

I've used canned venison 7 yrs old, it was sealed and tasted great. I keep my canned meats in a spare room that's dark. I don't normally wait so long to eat them.

I've canned the gross parts of the deer to mix with dogfood for the beagles.

I've only had a problem with the reusable lids, they seal at first but lose the seal over time.

Vegetables are another story, I don't can them but I sometimes get some to keep on hand. I don't consume them beyond the best by date, not because I think something is wrong with them, I just don't like the texture and the nutrients I consume vegetables for has probably deteriorated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This Artic Blast & Black Out in Texas has really shown how weak the system & many of 'the people' in it are.

We have been trained since diapers that the Texas Coast is subject to frequent Hurricanes & power outages and that EVERYONE should have a weeks worth of food & water, plus "whatever it takes" to get through that time period.  Even 72 hours is considered sufficent by many.

However, when the Artic Blast hit, the power went out and stores closed, there were beggars all over the TV going on and on about no food, no water and we have had massive Free Shit Army Giveaways to the SAME People who are in the SAME predicament from the Previous storms & events.

At what point does Mr. Darwin step in and say, "Look - You've taken this test THREE Times now and flunked - I just don't think you have what it takes to continue in "The Program".

Of course, the Authorities run these Free Stuff Army giveaways because the don't want the population to go Bananas and start "Liberating" all of the stuff they want / need.

As attractive as Bugging In may be, you have to face facts that there are millions of Broke Dick Section 8 Apartment dwellers in many cities who won't hesitate to take your stuff if they feel they "need it"...

But as pointed out, what you may need to haul to "safety" outside the city can be a BIG load that not many people have the capacity to actually load & move in an emergency, especially if fuel is cut off or the Roads are "restricted" by the Authorities.

View Quote

I will defend my home before I leave it to freeloaders. Isn't that why we prep! Are we going to strap our gun safes to our backs and put our ammo forts in out pockets?

Because if you don't you are basically arming criminals. If you don't use those things when you are being attacked you will never use them and shouldn't have gotten them to begin with.

My immediate neighborhood isn't going to put up with that crap. I'm too old to be a refugee and don't buy in to the Hollywood fantasies people seem to beat off to here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
@ManiacMechanic

Quoted:
How do you gauge how far food will last or stretch when stockpiling and thinking this will last a month or 3?
View Quote

I go with 3,000 calories per person per day.

I would go with calorie dense foods (canned stews, chili, meats) and not vegetables (you can sub in a multi-vitamin for the nutrients that you missed).

Then you want some type of filler grain (rice, wheat, oats).  I prefer oat groats just due to the nutrition and calories that they provide that rice does not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
What I learned about canned goods and this is from my own real life experience, combined with lots of reading on survival forums......

Anything with acid/citrus/high sugar will not last too much past its date.  A can of food will tell you its bad if you just pay attention.  Fruits and tomato based items will eat right thru a can, I have had a few on my shelf do it.  Vegetables/soups/meats/etc., will last years if you keep them dry and as climate controlled as possible, think plastic tub stored in storm shelter.
If the can is in good shape, not rusted, no pin holes, not swollen, the item inside will be good.  Veggies will lose some color and taste after a few years but is edible.
The biggest sign for cans is rust/pin holes/swelling.  Any can that is swollen is a can of trouble, possibly death.

@tetoncounty
What are your two ways to get well water?  Assume one is electricity.  I have 2 really good wells and have them both hooked to electric and also have an old fashion well bucket but am looking for a way to pump from 7-90 feet instead of a bucket.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to mention that when they are done with looting what's left of the city, they will move to the burbs, and then the countryside.

Then things become interesting on trying to grow/raises your own food.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone trust those no name canning lids on amazon?
Brand names online, like kerr and ball, start at 65 cents each and up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I spoke with an old woman once that spent most of her life extremely poor.  She said they couldn't afford canning lids every year so they just put a ring of rubber from old tractor tire tubes on the jars, then smashed it down with the old lid and tightened a ring on it.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but it does show that maybe even some pretty imperfect stuff will work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The biggest sign for cans is rust/pin holes/swelling.  Any can that is swollen is a can of trouble, possibly death.

View Quote

I agree.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Or to let them breed at will, overpopulate a small area and cause them to lose their humanity. They become animals, unwilling to breed, care for young, care for each other and are apathetic when the world collapses around them.  They won't lift a finger for their fellow man making their destruction easy.

All you have to do is stuff them into a tight space and give them everything they want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the quickest ways to depopulate, is large scale war.

Democrats seem to have been trying to escalate problems with other countries for some time, and I think one of the things they hated about Trump, was his efforts to keep us out of various things that could have escalated to wars in other countries.

Or to let them breed at will, overpopulate a small area and cause them to lose their humanity. They become animals, unwilling to breed, care for young, care for each other and are apathetic when the world collapses around them.  They won't lift a finger for their fellow man making their destruction easy.

All you have to do is stuff them into a tight space and give them everything they want.
Sounds like Japan. They as an ethnic group have passed the point of entropy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I spoke with an old woman once that spent most of her life extremely poor.  She said they couldn't afford canning lids every year so they just put a ring of rubber from old tractor tire tubes on the jars, then smashed it down with the old lid and tightened a ring on it.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but it does show that maybe even some pretty imperfect stuff will work.
View Quote

That old lady probably didn't have to worry about having her food poisoned by doubious chinese manufacturing practices.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't tried any but I did notice some of them claim to be ball when the description clearly states they are a Chinese brand.  I've heard bad things about them.

Years ago I could get "golden harvest" cheap from dollar stores and they worked well but I don't even see those anyone. I've found mainstay at Walmart, I've gotten them in the past but I don't think the current supply is the same, I've seen reports of buckling lids. I have never had a buckling lid.

I've tried the reusable ones from tatler and another company and while they started out sealed, they list it over time, I think the washers are too thick and permeable and the plastic is too thick and non pliable and over time they lose vacuum.

I really hate to pay 10 bucks for 12 lids. I can't help but believe this is being done on purpose.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Grain futures are quite high already.  With the massive amount of money being dumped into the markets, I expect food, materials and energy to climb quite a bit.  We are seeing it now, and we are two month into the Biden administration.

Buy food, it’s getting expensive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#16]

I have a local grocery store that has stupid good deals on different (usually processed) meats on a regular basis.  

I stopped in this morning on my way to work and today it was pork sausage for $1/lb.

I got 20# I'm planning on trying to can some of it this weekend, some will just go to the freezer.
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top