Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2001 3:01:19 PM EDT
Now that it has been over 100 days since the election and Bush has rewarded a lot of industries who got him there... what is he going to do for the gun owners who got out the vote for him.

Better yet... what reasonable expectations do you have from our now "gun friendly" president.

Personally, I would like to see hi-capacity clips re-legalized and the term "pre-bans" become something that only the old timers talk about. AND I would love to have the HK Tacticals, Experts and 23's become more affordable [:p].
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Without sounding overly cynical, I expect the most we’ll see is a brief delay of the inevitable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly at this point in time the best we can hope for is that Dubya won't do much of anything.  By that I mean nothing to further erode our rights.  If he is re-elected, that will be when he could do some real good.  The hi-cap ban is set to sunset in 2004, just before the election.  If by executive order he extends the ban for a year to say...study its effect, then after he's elected he can veto a bill to allow it to continue.  If we can get a more gun-friendly Senate, that wouldn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The hi-cap ban is set to sunset in 2004, just before the election.
View Quote

Nonsense -- there is no sunset provision on the high-capacity magazine ban.

Only the "assault weapon" section of the 1994 Omnibus Crime Act has a sunset provision.

If you believe I am in error, please quote the line from the Act that says otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely NOTHING!
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
in the red
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
We sure as Hell have come a long way from "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country", from Jack Kennedy in January, 1961.

I say get the government out of the way. Matter of fact just close it for three months of the year, like it used to do.

As long as the Congress is in session, no man's life, liberty or property is safe.

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
eric, you are sooo right!
willy
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
What he is going to do is not be Al Gore.  I think that the minute we get a Democrat Congress and President handguns are banned, along with a lot of other fun and important stuff.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
"As long as the Congress is in session, no man's life, liberty or property is safe."

Hun, that's pretty good, in fact I like it a lot. Did you make that up or get it somewhere? It sounds familiar, and if you made it up yourself, you should get into politics.

As far as what's dubya gonna do for us? Not much. But not going to do much against us either, I suspect. Which is much better than what would have happened had the election gone the other way. Am I happy and content with the
"de-testosteronization" of "conservative" politicians? No. But ya take what ya can get.

Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Note from EricTheHun -

"As long as the Congress is in session, no man's life, liberty or property is safe."

I'm sure I must have heard that someplace, change the phrase to 'Legislature' and it may have been said by Mark Twain.

'Congress' sounds more like something Will Rogers would have used.

[i]Quen sabe?[/i]

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
asked for better enforcement of existing laws instead of new ones.4 more years of gun ownership.Prevented a democrap from becoming president.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
He's going to screw us,just lke the rest of the politicians.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
He's going to (in my dreams) eliminate taxes on interest income and capital gains.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]
the only thing is going to happen; he is just going to make less anti-gun laws than al-gore (if he was placed into office) well Alaska will be fucked up just has well; drilling for oil in Alaska man! all of a sudden we have a crises we are being lied too. give me a break.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#17]
It is interesting that the NRA has noted how essential gun owners were in getting Bush elected and ar-15.com members here so far, have seemed to be content to have just have "no new gun laws"... I wish big oil and energy companies would have been content to keep things as they were.

But seriously, if no one wants better laws or old laws repealed, then they are content with the present laws and one must conclude that those laws are reasonable... but there has always been a lot of whining about present laws, was that whining to whine or does someone have a better idea of what the laws should be.  

Guess I am just confused, it seems people are complaining about the laws and are getting out the vote to support gun rights, but once they are in power they are satisfied with the present laws and see no need to change them, just enforce them... right??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top