Quoted:
What did you get bit by?
View Quote

The hospital bill.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live north of any of the venomous snakes in West-BY-GOD-Virginia.

The only thing that gives me pause in the woods is snakes.

View Quote

I think you have rattlesnakes and copperheads living near you and don't realize it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I didn't sign shit.

They wouldn't even allow me to enter the hospital. They said they would let me in only if she was on the verge of death.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did OP sign that paper regarding payment responsibilities?

I didn't sign shit.

They wouldn't even allow me to enter the hospital. They said they would let me in only if she was on the verge of death.

Good. I was being a little funny with this but they do send people in asking for signatures when people are at their weakest.
Like they did when my dad coded from choking on Thanksgiving Turkey in the ambulance and the ER.
The ambulance company chased me for the ride to the hospital. Why? Because I was there?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think you have rattlesnakes and copperheads living near you and don't realize it.
View Quote

I run into a few of each on my property in central texas every year. If they’re small enough they get the shovel, if they’re long enough to get me they get snake shot.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad she is okay.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good. I was being a little funny with this but they do send people in asking for signatures when people are at their weakest.
Like they did when my dad coded from choking on Thanksgiving Turkey in the ambulance and the ER.
The ambulance company chased me for the ride to the hospital. Why? Because I was there?
View Quote

I was in the ER once with legit chest pains. As they are running an IV and hooking up to the monitors and her comes the gal with the clipboard wanting my copay and to sign paper work. I told her to take her clipboard and shove it up her ass and get the fuck out. After she left the nurse busted out laughing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the WVDNR I'm too far north to be in their range.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I know for our local hospitals the “cost” for cro-fab is $11K-$16K per dose as of the last time I was told.  That’s been in the last 2-3 years.  

Had a family member that got bit on the finger by a baby rattler in North TX about 4 years ago.  He spent 4 days in the hospital in Ft Worth and had 3-4 doses and his hospital bill was something around $125K.  I think after insurance and Medicare he owed a few thousand.  

Still completely ridiculous the money they charge/steal from people.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dad was bit by a copperhead when he was five during the depression. Grandma said they used coal oil to draw out the venom.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
What the heck?  Watching all those old westerns your supposed to cut and suck then spit.  If that doesn't work I think it's cheaper to lose a appendage.  

Needs some of those shark proof gloves to do gardening.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would just go ahead and die. Screw that.
View Quote

Oh don't worry, you get the bill 2 weeks after you went to all the treatments.  Making sure you don't have a clue how much that cost until its too late.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Guy I know got bit by a rattler a few years back, cost was about $100k.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WTF bit you?
View Quote

Rattlesnake species . ( Crotalus sp. ) judging by the name of the antivenin , I could be a combo type but pit viper venom varies from species to species and geographic populations among the same species even . Some are hemotoxins and some have neurotoxins , and some have both . It seems that they’re evolving still .
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Supply and demand, and there's never a massive supply of anti-venom.  Thank goodness there's enough profit in it that people keep doing it, which kept whomever needed it, alive.
View Quote

Give it a rest.  They don’t make anywhere near that on it really and it got made without the need for that outrageous cost before.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I treated a snakebite in the ER about 15 years ago. I ended up ordering 6 vials of Cro-Fab. At the time, it was $3,000/vial. It's obviously gone up a lot.

As we were in a very rural county with two hospitals, 35 miles apart, each hospital had 3 vials. I ordered our 3 vials for the guy and called the county EMS dispatcher. They had a deputy courier the other three vials for the 35 mile drive. It wasn't emergent, but when he found it was snake-bite anti-venin, he took it upon himself to get it there with speed. 17 minutes later, he arrived with Cro-Fab, and looking very pleased with himself too.

The patient did fine. Admitted him overnight for observation and then he went home.
View Quote

I’d call that an “I can’t believe they pay me to do this” moment.   Even better if he was a motorcycle cop.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cro-Fab is a "universal" antivenin that covers mutiple possible North American vipers.

Clinically, the chances are it was a copperhead, as they are widely prevalent in the suburban wooded areas of northern Virginia.
View Quote

Little girl near me was killed by a copperhead.  

That said, bites on adults are almost never fatal from what I've read.

Glad your wife unit is okay!
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
3:40 an MD and head of medical toxicology says cro-fab is $300-400 a vial. That was 5 years ago.

How many vials is typically required? Has the price really gone up 200 fold in the past few years?

Wilderness Medicine: Snake Bite Treatment

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is nowhere in WV that’s too far north for timber rattlesnakes and copperheads.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My Dad was bit by a copperhead when he was five during the depression. Grandma said they used coal oil to draw out the venom.
View Quote

NUT COAL CURES SNAKE BITES, BIG SNAKES MAKE BIG BITES

* sorry I had to

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
3:40 an MD and head of medical toxicology says cro-fab is $300-400 a vial. That was 5 years ago.

How many vials is typically required? Has the price really gone up 200 fold in the past few years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g20cT4uoc0U
View Quote

In the mid-2000’s hospital cost was $2600 for a package of two vials IIRC. I have two family members working in hospital pharmacies. When I had snakes they looked into ordering some just to make sure it was nearby but it was outrageously expensive even without markup.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Say what?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is why i flamethrower the path before walking outdoors
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A pit viper.  One native to Virginia, more than likely.
View Quote

Only species of pit vipers In the VA , MD , PA  area Timber Rattlesnake , Northern Copperhead .
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I flew some Gaboon Viper antivenom from Seattle to Portland once. I know that wasn’t cheap!
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#25]
2004 I had 3 doses, a 6 day stay, 3 of those in ICU and my total bill was less than 60k...
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The hospital bill.
View Quote

we need a spit-take/rimshot emoji
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is nowhere in WV that's too far north for timber rattlesnakes and copperheads.
View Quote

They are both in CT, so it's a bit hard to believe that part of WV is "too far north."
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because Medical billing care in the US is a fucking scam.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
She is fine now.

Was pretty much fine the very next day except for some swelling and discoloration.

Took about two weeks for the hand to look 100% normal.
View Quote
Fuck. I'd give them the finger for $200k
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seems cheap versus dying.
View Quote

Fail.

You can die for about $2500.  Way cheaper than snake bite care.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got bit by a copperhead back in the 80's at Scout Camp. They didn't give me shit except ibuprofen. The doctor said it was "probably a dry strike, probably." Cleaned it out and bandaged me up, observed for about 4 hours and I was back at camp by dinner.
View Quote

Buddy of mine got bit on the foot and never went to the hospital. Said besides some pretty good swelling not much else.

Another friend of mine said both his parents were bit by copperheads when he was growing up and neither one of them went to the hospital either.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Only species of pit vipers In the VA , MD , PA  area Timber Rattlesnake , Northern Copperhead .
View Quote

PA has the  eastern massasauga as well
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#35]
You need a snakebite emergency kit....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You most definitely have Northern Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There is nowhere in WV that's too far north for timber rattlesnakes and copperheads.
View Quote
Exactly!  We have lots of them in PA as well, now way they skipped WV
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has the insurance told them to take $5000 and shut the fuck up, yet?
View Quote

tree-fiddy, bitch
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

+1

The write downs sound insane, but they get medicine to what it actually should cost.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has the insurance told them to take $5000 and shut the fuck up, yet?

+1

The write downs sound insane, but they get medicine to what it actually should cost.

Kharn

Plus a little somethin-somethin' besides for themselves.  Sometimes not so little.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They gave anti venom with knowing what snake bit her??

When I was bitten they refused to order antivenom without VISUAL confirmation of what snake had bitten me. I saw that it was a copperhead and my lil brother obliterated it with a 12ga. The hospital staff wanted to see it to confirm lol

They told me that I was better off not doing the antivenom as it would likely have worse side effects than just dealing with the bite.

WORST pain I've ever experienced. Lost part of my left index finger. They discussed amputation of my finger and I was very close to a fasciotomy on my arm.

Definitely do not recommend the experience.
View Quote

Jesus, that's negligent.  I assume you gave them a 3/5 Yelp rating?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#41]
When I got hit, 21 vials antivenin. Drawn from horses. Human blood doesn’t like horse platelets, the reaction I had to it was 10 times worse than the bite. Here’s your morphine, click, click, click .
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Jesus, that's negligent.  I assume you gave them a 3/5 Yelp rating?
View Quote

It’s the same antivenom for every venomous snake in the US, except for coral snakes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Glad to hear all are fine. Almost stepped on this one a couple days ago. Got copperhoed.

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm just here to say that I got a copperhead with my riding mower last year. I was able to check it off the bucket list.

Spotted it, ran over it, dropped the deck as low as it could go, and commenced donuts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would just go ahead and die. Screw that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#46]
In our hospital, Cro-fab runs $2600 a vial.
That equates to 71 vials here. Apparently they charge more where you are...
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#47]
That's an HCA facility, which is one of the most crooked hospital systems in the country.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#48]
But GD keeps telling me that snakes are cute and fuzzy bunnies that just want to cuddle you while you're in the woods.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Some illegal alien got bitten here years ago and got a bill for $300k he took it to a news station, of course he didnt pay it. Got something like 20 or so vials.

It takes a long time to collect and store enough venom to use as antivenom. I aint gonna lie but I sure as shit don't want to handle those death traps.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know for our local hospitals the “cost” for cro-fab is $11K-$16K per dose as of the last time I was told.  That’s been in the last 2-3 years.  

Had a family member that got bit on the finger by a baby rattler in North TX about 4 years ago.  He spent 4 days in the hospital in Ft Worth and had 3-4 doses and his hospital bill was something around $125K.  I think after insurance and Medicare he owed a few thousand.  

Still completely ridiculous the money they charge/steal from people.
View Quote

I *assume* it's somewhat explainable by the fact that bites are increasingly rare in this country, but the infrastructure to produce antivenin doesn't go down accordingly, so you have to spread the costs among fewer people/hospitals/etc.  Obviously that 'real' cost is so high already they put out these ridiculous numbers so they can negotiate with insurance companies for the actual amount.

Much like a lot of the stuff to do with leprosy, when a disease gets rare enough but has strategic significance, Uncle Sam needs to pick up the tab to stabilize prices for the few people who actually use the stuff, otherwise it will eventually stop being made.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top