Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@SnoopisTDI

If you don’t have a treatment, then to stop an epidemic/pandemic, you need ~ 70% of the population to be immune ie. have effective antibodies against a pathogen.  At that percentage, the pathogen can’t be transmitted effectively as it keeps reaching dead ends.  

There are two ways to produce antibodies:

1) Through infection and recovery

2) A vaccine

We don’t have a vaccine, so unless they develop an effective drug, infection is the only path to 70% immunity.
View Quote

They don't even know if the infected are immune to it and can or cannot get it again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How many movies started this way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not just Moderna. Phizer is right in step with them if not ahead now as they have already starting FDA fast track approval when it's ready. Astrazeneca is another that is fairly far along in the race. India is claiming they will be vaccinating their population by AUGUST 15 with something, not sure what but wouldn't want to be one of those Guinea pigs. Lastly there is a China company that has started phase 3 trials but fuck those motherfuckers.

How many movies started this way?

Well, the alternative is all the old people and lard asses die off from it and we have to deal with mask bullshit/lockdowns the meantime.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want to know what percent have been tested
View Quote

According to JHU,

~41MM U.S. test results
~3.4MM confirmed cases
~136k deaths

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't want to be in that 1%.
View Quote

You must have multiple health comprises and living in a senior care facility in NY to be fool enough to make this post
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Give it two more weeks
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They don't even know if the infected are immune to it and can or cannot get it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SnoopisTDI

If you don’t have a treatment, then to stop an epidemic/pandemic, you need ~ 70% of the population to be immune ie. have effective antibodies against a pathogen.  At that percentage, the pathogen can’t be transmitted effectively as it keeps reaching dead ends.  

There are two ways to produce antibodies:

1) Through infection and recovery

2) A vaccine

We don’t have a vaccine, so unless they develop an effective drug, infection is the only path to 70% immunity.

Studies of SARS-CoV-1 showed antibodies for between 2 to 3 years.  This isn’t the same virus, but I’m still optimistic.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I need to play the lottery. I’m a 1%er.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess I need to play the lottery. I’m a 1%er.
View Quote

There is good 1%er and bad 1%er.

Good Naked Bad Naked visualization
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Star Trek was prophetic:

Only Grumps die.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

According to JHU,

~41MM U.S. test results
~3.4MM confirmed cases
~136k deaths

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to know what percent have been tested

According to JHU,

~41MM U.S. test results
~3.4MM confirmed cases
~136k deaths

I'd love to know the breakdown of deaths by age and those with underlying health issues.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I found out this morning based off my symptoms I am.  It sucks, I feel like crap like I have the flu.  I was also told that the false negative rate for testing is 30% so if I test Negative I still have to quarantine for a couple weeks.
View Quote

A week and a half ago my mom thought she had a mild case of flu and called her doctor to be sure and her doctor said she wanted her tested for Covid-19 because she wasn't seeing much of the regular flu this time of year.  She tested positive and it got a lot worse from there for her.  She hasn't needed to be hospitalized but it sure is putting the hurt on her still (mostly just sheer fatigue now though).
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Close it all down.

Forever.

Because orange man bad.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah Cause people are rampantly getting retested.
View Quote

Friend testic positive, went and got two more tests at two different facilities. all three positives are recorded as three separate positives
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]

That's Barney's cousin Virgil. He's not a grump, he's a clutz.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

MA is one of the worst hit states.

State population: 6.893m
Number who have been tested at least once: 0.950m   (total tests 1.225m)
Number who tested positive: 0.106m

So 14% of the population have been tested and 1.5% of the population have tested positive.

There have been 8,115 deaths which is 0.12% of the State population and 7.7% of the people who tested positive.
View Quote

Those are scary numbers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We should be celebrating 100k cases a day, doubling to 200k, etc,.

The more cases we have the closer we are to this shit burning out
View Quote

Except early research indicates we might not be able to build immunity to this thing. We could have a chance of catching it every year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My concern is that after wiping out a vulnerable demographic in our country and solving our Social Security and Medicaid funding issues COVID-19 creates a whole new demographic of folks vulnerable to other stuff. Or, based on the antibody research thus far vulnerable to a future case of COVID-19.

While it’s early this thing could be a witches brew of badness.

Flu bros up now!
View Quote

It doesn't do a thing to help social security and medicare. Suppose everyone who dies is over the age of 80, and 200,000 people die. These numbers are overstated, but at best that's a $2 billion a year savings in social security payments in a $1 trillion a year program. Worse for your cost savings idea: every year 3.5 million more Americans turn 65 and are eligible for benefits. And even worse for your cost savings idea: when people who are 60 see lots of people older than them dying off, they tend to change their plans and retire early which results in more social security payments and far fewer tax revenues to support them.  

Use your head--suppose the social security and medicare deficits were erased overnight. What happens then? Congress will just expand the benefits. That's why there are deficits to begin with. The benefits are 10,000 percent higher than they were ever supposed to be.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't want to be in that 1%.
View Quote

Meh. I'm 24. Covid is not a threat to me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think this is the new flu, we aren’t going to get rid of it. And the antibody studies don’t look good right now. And it’s already killed twice the number that die from the common flu during a ‘highly severe’ flu season. And we haven’t even had flu season with it yet.
View Quote

In terms of modern flu, perhaps. But the flu epidemics in the 1950s and 1960s would kill close to 300,000 in today's population.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
you know 1% does not bode well for the "herd immunity crowd" right?

65%+ of population needs it for the ole herd aspect to play out.

start running numbers and revisit.
View Quote

Not necessarily. I depends on the r-naught value. If it's low, we can get herd immunity with a smaller percent of the population vaccinated.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Meh. I'm 24. Covid is not a threat to me.
View Quote

Covid is probably not a threat to you.  Directly.  But good luck avoiding the blowback from the economy.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top