Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.foxnews.com/science/cdc-best-estimate-40-percent-covid-19-infections-asymptomatic
Link left cold. As I read it, CDC now says overall covid mortality rate is approx .65%...take it for what it's worth.
Edit: page 4, woo hoo!
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For people who have had Corona and recovered, do you think there will need to be additional testing in the future to see if any permanent lung or other organ damage has been done?  Keep hearing that this damage is a distinct possibility but I don't know that we have planned for this type of testing yet as we are still at the testing for the disease itself stage.
View Quote

My concern is that after wiping out a vulnerable demographic in our country and solving our Social Security and Medicaid funding issues COVID-19 creates a whole new demographic of folks vulnerable to other stuff. Or, based on the antibody research thus far vulnerable to a future case of COVID-19.

While it’s early this thing could be a witches brew of badness.

Flu bros up now!
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I bet 10 to 20 percent of the population will wear masks for the rest of their lives.
View Quote

I'm afraid you're right.

Whenever I used to see routine mask wearing in Asia, it creeped me out. They look like a bunch of faceless insects scurrying around.

Never dreamed it would happen here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CDC estimates 20-30M total cases so far, we never get every case tested in these large outbreaks.

I predict 70+% get it over the next few years. It's part of cold and flu season now.
View Quote

It will eventually mutate until it is just anothe bad cold.  Hopefully the sooner the better
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget many retest and retest to see until they're clear. Lots of duplicate people in those results.

IHME modeling puts our total infected about 26M right now. Nowhere NEAR getting to herd immunity

People will likely lose their antibodies before any chance of reaching herd immunity levels. It's not spreading fast enough. Not sure we have any other way to kill it short of a vaccine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I was chatting with a friend this weekend who is a doctor.   He said they started taking untouched swabs and sending them to get tested and were getting false positives back.  So that makes me wonder out of the total # of people who have tested positive, how many might be false...and could that mean people who are positive show as negative...who knows but it definitely muddies the waters.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What tests are they running?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are, dead cells are showing up. My wife is a NP, this one nurse can't go back to work until she has three neg in a row, all a week apart, twice shes had two - and then tests +. This has been going on for 6 weeks and she's tested positive 4 times since her first.

What tests are they running?

Not sure, They were doing swabs, then moved to antibodies test and she said they are supposed to be getting a machine soon that will test for covid and flu with 15min turnaround.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was chatting with a friend this weekend who is a doctor.   He said they started taking untouched swabs and sending them to get tested and were getting false positives back.  So that makes me wonder out of the total # of people who have tested positive, how many might be false...and could that mean people who are positive show as negative...who knows but it definitely muddies the waters.
View Quote

I've been assured by GD that this is impossible.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah Cause people are rampantly getting retested.
View Quote
I work in a hospital who I know first handed tested the same pt 7 times in 2 weeks
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I work in a hospital who I know first handed tested the same pt 7 times in 2 weeks
View Quote

That is ridiculous sounding, not sure why
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How many of those "cases" are asymptomatic?

Around here they are begging everyone to get tested.  In fact they are specifically asking people with no symptoms to get tested.
View Quote

Same in Michigan, mad queen wants her numbers badly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to know what percent have been tested
View Quote
And how many have recovered.
Positive tests do not equate to deaths.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
We need as many people as possible to NOT wear masks and especially to decline vaccine when they start pushing it. Wearing a mask is kneeling. Taking a Gates/ Fauci serum is just plain insanity.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We need as many people as possible to NOT wear masks and especially to decline vaccine when they start pushing it. Wearing a mask is kneeling. Taking a Gates/ Fauci serum is just plain insanity.
View Quote
Sadly, I don't know whether this is sarcasm or not.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#15]
% of covid deaths in Wisconsin 0.014872%  870 deaths out of 5,850,000 people

SHUT IT DOWN !!! WHERE"S YOUR MASK !!! COOOOVID !!!

fools
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was tested today I was told that 30% of Positive  cases come back negative.  The Dr. is certain I have Covid based off my symptoms and told me that just in case I come back negative.  I have to quarantine for two weeks period.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For perspective, plain old tuberculosis is a lower respiratory disease that's spread by aerosols. It kills around 1.5M every year, roughly 50% of the world is infected, ~90% of cases are asymptomatic, it's highly resistant to antibiotics, and nobody outside the specialized medical community cares in the slightest.
View Quote
Maybe because there is a vaccine?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My concern is that after wiping out a vulnerable demographic in our country and solving our Social Security and Medicaid funding issues COVID-19 creates a whole new demographic of folks vulnerable to other stuff. Or, based on the antibody research thus far vulnerable to a future case of COVID-19.

Flu bros up now!
View Quote

@beitodesstrafe we're up.
George Carlin - Germs, Immune System

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you familiar with the local new in Austin, about the clinic that had tested thousands. ?  Some with positive results got scared and went to a hospital.  Were all negative...  Do you belive they pulled all those positive results or just left them for dramatic effect. ?  Honesty curious
View Quote

Are you familiar with the Abbott rapid tests that had a sensitivity of 50%? These were used in hospitals for a couple months before independent testing found that they missed half of all positives.

Not everything is a conspiracy. There are always false positives and false negatives with any test.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
It’s about the same here approximately 1% infected and the death rate is 2-4% of the positives. On the down side, hospitals are starting to fill.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Deaths are all that matter.
View Quote

Never seen anyone on a vent  I guess.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife’s coworker just got notified that his test came back positive.

The funny thing is, he never took the test.

This also happened to my daughters boyfriend.

Sure the numbers are real.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29lF43mUlo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flu bros up now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29lF43mUlo

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I personally know of three separate people who went to get tested, filled out the paperwork, were then told it was a long wait, and decided to leave without testing. All three received notification that they were positive. So take at least those three, and all the others with similar stories, off the positive list.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I personally know of three separate people who went to get tested, filled out the paperwork, were then told it was a long wait, and decided to leave without testing. All three received notification that they were positive. So take at least those three, and all the others with similar stories, off the positive list.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are. Every time a chronically ill person goes to the ED with a cough now they get tested with a sars-cov-2 diagnostic PCR. I would say the average chronically ill person gets tested will get tested 3-5 times.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I doubt there will be a working vaccine in the very near future.  IF this vaccine company pulls it off (someone correct me, but I don't think this main company has ever produced a working vaccine based off their technique, Moderna)  it will be a game changer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to all the vaccines that were supposedly being produced? For a few weeks I was reading about them every day or two. The last few weeks I don't think I've seen one story on them.

I doubt there will be a working vaccine in the very near future.  IF this vaccine company pulls it off (someone correct me, but I don't think this main company has ever produced a working vaccine based off their technique, Moderna)  it will be a game changer
@ipsilateral_7 serious question, will you take the vaccine from Moderna?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]
That number is spot on in my county. 120,000 population, 111 positive cases total 0 deaths.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That number is spot on in my county. 120,000 population, 111 positive cases total 0 deaths.
View Quote

For comparison with my county:

45,000 population
360 positive cases
7 deaths
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@ipsilateral_7 serious question, will you take the vaccine from Moderna?
View Quote

@NoHarmNoFal.  It fully depends the data, but I’m not thrilled about taking a new designed vaccine that is rushed design with rushed testing.  That sounds like the begging to a zombie movie.   It may be a moot point, it very well may be mandated by hospitals as condition for employment.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

They most definitely are.  I know someone who was tested 3 times due to exposure to covid posisitve people on three separate occasions so he could come to work.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not a lie.
I just posted  the same thing after it happened to my wife’s coworker.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I wanna know the real death cases
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#36]
We should be celebrating 100k cases a day, doubling to 200k, etc,.

The more cases we have the closer we are to this shit burning out
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm afraid you're right.

Whenever I used to see routine mask wearing in Asia, it creeped me out. They look like a bunch of faceless insects scurrying around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet 10 to 20 percent of the population will wear masks for the rest of their lives.

I'm afraid you're right.

My new mask - and it actually DOES SOMETHING USEFUL:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I mean, if its good enough for law-enforcement....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Its not a lie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not a lie.

Oh, I'm not doubting you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]
a girl I graduated with lost her husband to/with covid-19. he did have asthma though. 35

I have a step-uncle i guess, who has it now in Texas, almost died 2 nights ago, priest gave him his last rites, but then he held on and his oxygen levels improved a bit. has been intubated for a week or so i think. I dont think I have seen him in over 20 years. his wife and daughter both tested positive as well but recovered fine at home. Not sure if uncle has underlying health issues, but is mid 60's

then I have one friend who thinks he had it early, tested for antibody and has the antibody. said he was out of commission for about a week thought it was the flu but it tested negative at the time.

that is the only anecdotal experience i have
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#41]
The tests only mean something if you think you have it. Just because you test negative today doesn't mean beans tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#42]

. Gov official admitting numbers are Bs
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Remember when they did the mass test just to find out what percent of the general population had Covid antibodies
and it was way above 1%. Funny I haven't heard of another test like that in a while.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The tests only mean something if you think you have it. Just because you test negative today doesn't mean beans tomorrow.
View Quote

Testing only means something when you can be treated.

Millions of people test positive and they receive no treatment.

What's the point?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#45]
My youngest son is in the NG. A jackass came to work on Friday with a fever of 104 degrees. Didn't bother telling anyone until noon. Now my son and another soldier are in quarantine until the test results come back.

What an unmitigated ass.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How many do we expect to get it? 50%? More?
View Quote

@SnoopisTDI

If you don’t have a treatment, then to stop an epidemic/pandemic, you need ~ 70% of the population to be immune ie. have effective antibodies against a pathogen.  At that percentage, the pathogen can’t be transmitted effectively as it keeps reaching dead ends.  

There are two ways to produce antibodies:

1) Through infection and recovery

2) A vaccine

We don’t have a vaccine, so unless they develop an effective drug, infection is the only path to 70% immunity.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

@Spasm

“We’ve traced the source of SARS-CoV-2.  It’s coming from inside the test kits!”
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More testing = the doctor cares more about the patient.  Jurors eat that shit up!
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Testing only means something when you can be treated.

Millions of people test positive and they receive no treatment.

What's the point?
View Quote

Depends on the symptoms. Not everyone gets a respirator either.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#50]
It is just one data point but does not count all the asymptomatic people who had no reason to be tested.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top