Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
People are so dumb. Saw this on FB.

“They say aircraft carriers are soooo bad azz today but can’t survive a fire how is it supposed to survive an enemy cruise missile“

Moron. And I wasn’t even Navy and I know better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Useless trivia for you.. IIRC The Bonhomie Dick was once Captained by Doors front man Jim Morrison’s dad.. Admiral Steve Morrison.... I have seen photos of a very conservative looking Jim Morrison firing a M1 Thompson SMG off the side of that ship while his dad watches in the background
View Quote

That’s not possible as this ship wasn’t built until after Jim Morrison had been long dead, this is not the first ship to carry the name however.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you thinking of USS Bon Homme Richard (CV 31) ?

Served in Korean War.

Decommissioned 1971.
View Quote

Technically so was Jim Morrison.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I can't begin to tell you how toxic that black smoke is.

Looks like they have lost complete control over the fire.
View Quote

The fire boats look completely useless.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently Wikipedia knows what happened...

On 12 July 2020, an explosion occurred onboard the Bonhomme Richard resulting in a significant fire. Several sailors were injured in this incident.[13] Per Pulsepoint, the first call for assistance to SDFD went out at 8:54 am and was then upgraded to a 3-alarm fire call.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Firefighters please chime in.

This looks bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those squirters don't seem to be having much luck.

Are they trying to cool off the hull ?
Firefighters please chime in.

This looks bad.
Yes, they spray water to cool the hull.

Just calling for all San Diego personnel to leave the area immediately on scanner
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You have no idea what you are talking about.
View Quote

You have a lot of faith in NASSCO.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
President Trump will build them a new ship.
View Quote

Fuck off and get out of this thread.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds super bad on the scanner.   Basically yelling at dudes now to get off the pier.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The fire seems to spreading to the stern as well. Thats some hell of a fire from a welding accident. That ship is gonna be fubar for a very long, long time if it is slavageable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not good.  They have evacuated the pier of all personnel.  They evacuated the lot where the ground video was at.

She may burn for a good while.  At this rate they might have to put enough water in her to sink her.  

The fire seems to spreading to the stern as well. Thats some hell of a fire from a welding accident. That ship is gonna be fubar for a very long, long time if it is slavageable.

If those explosions were Acetylene & O2 bottles going off, it's surprising it's only this bad.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Do they not have bulkhead doors of some type to isolate parts of the hangar deck?  It’s pretty embarrassing for a ship to have a fire spread this much when they tend to have water tight compartments. Did everyone decide to leave all the doors open when the fire started?  We were just making fun of China for having a ship burn down in port.....sigh.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Useless trivia for you.. IIRC The Bonhomie Dick was once Captained by Doors front man Jim Morrison’s dad.. Admiral Steve Morrison.... I have seen photos of a very conservative looking Jim Morrison firing a M1 Thompson SMG off the side of that ship while his dad watches in the background
View Quote

This Bonhomme Richard was commissioned in 1998 so it’s not the same ship you saw a picture of Jim Morrison aboard.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah it's stunning the ships that were saved in WWII.
View Quote

The lengths those guys went to was incredible. Bet it was a throw the regs out and what was needed. They’d go from a carrier that was on its death bed to launching and recovering planes and back in the fight. The fighting spirit those firefighters and repair teams showed needs to be studied more than it probably has.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where are the bad ass fireboats that are the size of tugs? Figured most port areas have something more substantial.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
3rd squirter just fired up and going aft.
View Quote

Given the size of the ship the fire monitors on those boats look like squirt guns.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

“They say aircraft carriers are soooo bad azz today but can’t survive a fire how is it supposed to survive an enemy cruise missile“

View Quote

That person is Chinese.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do they not have bulkhead doors of some type to isolate parts of the hangar deck?  It’s pretty embarrassing for a ship to have a fire spread this much when they tend to have water tight compartments. Did everyone decide to leave all the doors open when the fire started?  We were just making fun of China for having a ship burn down in port.....sigh.
View Quote

They just announced over the radio that, “fire is entering open hatches on the starboard side”.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Aren't all of our LHDs slightly different? I know some have wells, some don't, etc etc

Aside from the loss of the asset itself are we losing any specific capabilities?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Was there just a Port side explosion ?

Huge plume of black smoke behind the tower structure .
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s in port on a Sunday and under a maintenance cycle. It’s not as if it was underway and fully manned.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]
is it listing? hard to tell from the video
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do they not have bulkhead doors of some type to isolate parts of the hangar deck?  It's pretty embarrassing for a ship to have a fire spread this much when they tend to have water tight compartments. Did everyone decide to leave all the doors open when the fire started?  We were just making fun of China for having a ship burn down in port.....sigh.
View Quote
Probably had everything opened up for venting if they were doing hot work below.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Are the neighboring ships in any danger?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The hangar bays have divisional doors and there are overhead sprinkler systems.
But even with the doors closed, the hangar bay is a large open area, and a lot of shit could be stored there.
The sprinklers or doors could be tagged out for maintenance since she's undergoing refit and repair.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If those explosions were Acetylene & O2 bottles going off, it's surprising it's only this bad.
View Quote

True. Probably don’t know the true lengths of the damage and casualties. I hate saying this, but thankfully this happened at the pier and not out on maneuvers. That would have been catastrophic.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you thinking of USS Bon Homme Richard (CV 31) ?

Served in Korean War.

Decommissioned 1971.

Ouch!

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Talking out of my ass here but probably not unless there is an explosion.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

The issue you have with a boat in the yards is that there is usually a lot of temporary stuff through hatches and places things would normally be, might be gone. Like was brought up before, a weekend duty section is fairly light usually compared to a weekday where everyone is aboard. Less manpower means that if you have to clear hatches, or fight fires it becomes much more difficult to do. I don't know how surface ships do it,  but once you start running low on SCBA's and are trading people out due to heat exhaustion, it could lead to evacuation and then the fire can burn rapidly due to no measures being able to be taken to control the spread.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That person is Chinese.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That person is Chinese.

In all honesty, if a welding fire did this, an anti ship missile at sea would be 100x worse (assuming it gets through the phalanx). They need to re-evaluate fire suppression on all ships if this standard from 1998 is still applied today.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
is it listing? hard to tell from the video
View Quote

When in port there's an intentional 2-3 degree starboard list for the port side elevators to clear the pier bollards and other structures when they are down.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#35]
The tight shot didnt look good.  It looks like the bow is sitting lower in the water and the stern is up a little and the ship looks to be listing slightly toward the pier as compared to the earlier shots.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

True. Probably don’t know the true lengths of the damage and casualties. I hate saying this, but thankfully this happened at the pier and not out on maneuvers. That would have been catastrophic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

O2 would also moot damn near all prevention measures (isolating compartments) and set the structure itself on fire, rapidly breaching adjacent areas.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That person is Chinese.
View Quote

Maybe or just a moron.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Just heard on FNC that there light injuries including one sailor that was hurt in an explosion from a welding accident apparently in a well deck.

Some FFs have smoke inhalation injuries.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what I gather, the ship is in a maintenance availability which means there are going to be a shit load of water right hatches open right now due to lots of random equipment, temporary ventilation, cables, etc running throughout the ship.

Long story short, they couldn't close those hatches even if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully they weren't shipping large volumes of ammonium nitrate (Texas City)
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Lots of smoke coming from the superstructure openings.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't begin to tell you how toxic that black smoke is.

Looks like they have lost complete control over the fire.

Is that shit blowing towards you?

This is bad.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

From what I gather, the ship is in a maintenance availability which means there are going to be a shit load of water right hatches open right now due to lots of random equipment, temporary ventilation, cables, etc running throughout the ship.

Long story short, they couldn't close those hatches even if they wanted to.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lots of smoke coming from the superstructure openings.
View Quote
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In all honesty, if a welding fire did this, an anti ship missile at sea would be 100x worse (assuming it gets through the phalanx). They need to re-evaluate fire suppression on all ships if this standard from 1998 is still applied today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That person is Chinese.

Under way and under maintenance are completely different levels of readiness.  I know jack shit about boats, but even I know that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#46]
From the feed--- we got a ton of navy sailors running. They said it got into the fuel. Should we be pulling further back?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hopefully they weren't shipping large volumes of ammonium nitrate (Texas City)
View Quote
I think the naval world learned a lot from that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhh... what? The fire suppression is the crew. Certain areas may have sprinklers/foam depending what is stored, but outside of that is extinguishers, hose racks and reels. People cannot fight a fire if they have no oxygen because they ran out of SCBA's onboard, or were pushed out of the space due to heat/smoke. Once you leave a space to fire, it can easily spread. Battle damage doesn't equate to a space that had no manning and was potentially left to burn and people from off the ship had to respond.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
From the feed--- we got a ton of navy sailors running. They said it got into the fuel. Should we be pulling further back?
View Quote

They repeated it again just now
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Live:
USS Bonhomme Richard on fire at Naval Base San Diego - July 12, 2020
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top